An Irresistible Temptation Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By the time she had tried on several suits I had filled the last tank. As I joined her again she was modelling a sculptured mid blue, two piece wetsuit with black anti-abrasion reinforcement on the knees and shoulders.

I said: "That looks perfect. Now try on a BCD for size. Once you think you have a good fit bring it to me so I can check the connections and for possible abrasions."

The BCD or buoyancy compensator device is a jacket that keeps the diver at neutral buoyancy and also doubles as a life vest in emergencies on the surface. It has a backplate where the tank is attached and is connected to the regulator by an inflator hose and generally has straps for securing a second regulator plus pressure and depth gauges.

Monique came up to me wearing a BCD over her wetsuit and asked: "Will this do?" Without even thinking what I was doing I connected and tightened the waist and then crotch straps. Realization hit me when I stood up and Monique was smiling broadly at my embarrassment.

I mumbled: "Sorry, I have always dived with guys before, so I didn't think." She continued smiling without comment, so as a distraction I asked: "How much weight did you wear in Jamaica?"

"It think it was 8 pounds."

"You wore a shortie. Was it an aluminum or steel tank?"

"I am pretty sure it was steel."

"You will have to compensate for the increased buoyancy from this 5mm thick wet suit so I suggest you start with 14 pounds. It is better to be too heavy than too light, but we should still take some of these 2 pound weight to hold in the boat. I suggest you use these soft weights in the BCD pouches as they are more comfortable."

I could see that she could only fit two in each side pouch. "You probably won't fit all the weight in there, so with 8 pounds in the BCD you need to select a weight belt with 6 pounds. Now take off the BCD. I will look it over and inflate it. You can then check for leaks in this water tank."

I connected a regulator to a dive tank and connected the low pressure inflator hose to fill the BCD until the over pressure relief valve automatically vented. I then placed the BCD in the water tank used for filling cylinders. "Miss, come here. I want you to hold the BCD under water and look for escaping bubbles. Some air that has been trapped in the creases of the fabric will escape, so you will need to hold it under for about five minutes."

Meanwhile I completed a check of the regulator I had used. "You should include this regulator with your gear."

Once the leak test was complete I attached a tank to the BCD backplate to ensure the cam strap buckle was adjusted tightly enough. As I was feeling satisfied, I said: "I think you are ready to go."

Monique looked pleased as she said: "Thank you. You have been a great help. I was worried when your coworker left me on my own."

"Oh... I don't work here. I am on holidays and also going on the dive today. I just arrived early and offered to help out by filling the tanks."

"Well that is very kind of you to help."

"Not really. I prefer filling my own tank so that I know everything is safe. I guess I am over cautious. I am only glad I could assist as I suspect that those two have more important matters to attend to. With that she gave me a conspiratorial smile.

"As we will be diving together, I should introduce myself. I am Monique."

"Pleased to meet you. I am Owen Chandler."

I checked my watch and realized it was now after 10 am. "I think we are starting late. How about you strip off that wet suit while I take your gear to the counter so they can check what you are taking."

At the counter Trevor was not interested in what we had selected, so I asked: "What do you want us to do now?"

"Poke your gear in the back of the red pickup and then just sit a spell over on them benches there till we are ready."

Once Monique joined me I placed my dive bag and tank in the pickup. The pickup had wooden brackets to hold dive tanks so I went back inside and brought out three more tanks to cover Monique and myself. She had put her gear into a canvass bag. As I picked it up I said: "I hope you don't have anything in here that you need to keep dry."

"Actually I do have a folder that must stay dry."

"Well I suggest you leave it behind. You can pick it up again when we return."

"Oh... I would be reluctant to leave it here. Do you have a car that I could put it in?"

"Yes. It is parked in the next street. It will only take five minutes, so hold them if they suddenly get enthusiastic to move." Once Monique handed me her zipped up green folder, I walked briskly back to the garage, collected my car key and secured the folder in the trunk under a bag. After returning the keys, I was soon back at the dive shop.

Joining Monique on the bench, I was just ready to strike up a conversation when a middle aged man and younger woman came into the shop. The slightly overweight man had a few days growth of grey beard. He turned out to be Hank, the owner. He spoke to Monique: "Howdy! How are you today?"

"I'm fine thank you and we are ready to go," was her reply.

Abruptly he exclaimed: "Hold your horses. Who are we?"

Assuming this meant me, I introduced myself: "I am Owen. I am a moderately experienced diver."

In a startled tone Hank emphatically stated: "Today was just meant to be one client."

A little bewildered I asked: "Is that a problem."

Hank turned towards Trevor with a look that could melt steel. "What do you know about this?"

"I... I didn't know. He paid me yesterday. He has his own equipment and even filled all the tanks as Calvin arrived late this morning."

"It was Calvin that was meant to tell you. I should've remembered that boy's only got one oar in the water. Where is he anyway?"

"He must be in the bathroom." Trevor meekly answered.

Looking back to me, Hank said: "Well it looks like you can come." Indicating the younger woman with him, he continued: "This here is Connie. She is the dive master. Under water she is boss. In the boat, I am Captain and boss. Right?"

With that emphatic statement, Monique and I simultaneously replied: "Right."

I turned towards Connie in expectation of some statement, but she just silently stared back at us. She was just over five foot in height, but if I had to describe her in one word, I would have said she was nuggety. What she lacked I height she made up for with muscles and sinews. Her black hair was pulled back viciously and her sun browned skin looked tough. Her whole manner said: "Don't give me trouble."

The dive staff went inside and while there were heated discussions, I couldn't make out anything else. I was wondering why I would want to put my life in their hands when I shared a look with Monique. I think we were both wondering what had we got ourselves into. I was almost ready to suggest we postpone the dive when she smiled at me and said: "I am grateful you are here with me."

How could I now suggest that I wanted to chicken out? Besides, this would be a great topic for future conversation.

The next development was a disgruntled Calvin, followed by Trevor, carrying out the remaining filled scuba tanks. They soon had them stowed plus two more dive bags. Monique and I were told to get into the back seat. I was slightly relieved that Trevor was driving and not a fuming Calvin who sat in the front passenger seat. None of us had any interest in striking up any conversation on the drive to the boat.

I had previously dived from a variety of power boats. Some were rubber inflatables, ordinary speedboats or flat bottomed landing craft. The boat that Hank operated was perhaps the largest boat I had been on for diving purposes. I assumed it had been a fishing boat as it had a deep keel, wide beam and a large enclosed wheelhouse. The height of the gunnels would make it a little cumbersome for getting back onboard wearing equipment, but I was happy that it appeared as though it would handle reasonably rough weather.

Few directions were given, but I followed Trevor and Calvin in first loading our dive equipment and then the tanks. Once again there were wooden brackets along the centerline to hold the tanks. Benches ran along the sides of the rear deck. As Trevor and Calvin stowed their gear to starboard, Monique joined me on the port side.

I wanted to just chat with Monique while we waited for Hank and Connie to arrive, however I was initially unable to think of what to say. Remembering that I had no problems when discussing equipment, I started revising her on her hand signals for when under water. I think we both just assumed that we would be buddies for the dive.

Hank and Connie soon arrived. As Hank stepped into the wheelhouse he shouted: "Calvin bow line; Trevor stern!" It appeared that we were not going to be inconvenienced by any extraneous detail like a safety brief.

The engine was started; the bow line was cast off; the boat was slowly reversed against the stern fender with the stern spring line in place until the bow swung out. Then as the engine idled, Hank ordered Trevor to cast off the stern spring line. Slowly Hank maneuvered the boat forward away from the dock.

Beyond the harbor the boat didn't make great speed, but the vibration from the engine was steady and calming. Monique then stood up and joined Hank in the wheelhouse. I was a little disappointed as it would have been a good opportunity to know more about her. I did look about along the coastline, but I also kept watching her.

Monique seemed to be deep in conversation with Hank. I wondered what interest she had in him, but then it appeared she was flirting with him. I may have been mistaken but she was smiling broadly and laughing while flicking and touching her hair continually. This went on for over ten minutes. Once again I started wondering to myself, why weren't women attracted to me.

When Monique returned to sit on the bench next to me she had lost that effervescence I had seen earlier. Feeling concerned, I asked: "Is anything wrong?"

"No... thank you for asking though. I just had some questions."

"Is it about the dive?"

"No... I will tell you later, if that's OK."

As we would soon arrive at the first dive destination site, I reached for a drink to be fully hydrated before diving. It is a strange sensation to be totally immersed in water and be thirsty knowing you can't have a drink. I grabbed two bottles and held one in front of Monique. "I like to quench my thirst before I go diving. Can I tempt you with a drink?"

"Oh, thank you. This is exactly what I need," she said with an appreciative smile.

Connie interrupted by telling us all to put on our wetsuits as we were almost there. I quickly pulled off my shirt and shorts and as my suit was ready I quickly slipped on the trousers and jacket partially zipping it closed. By then Monique had only tied back her hair and removed her shorts and top. She was still bent over pulling things out of her bag; her wetsuit being last. This gave me a great opportunity to guiltily sit back and study her bikini covered body.

Her curves were just perfect. She had an hourglass figure with a narrow waist. Her bottom was nicely rounded without being large. Her breasts were easily a full handful and stuck out prominently. My brain was soon straying off to fantasy land before I was forced to shake myself back to the present.

Finally the engine powered down and Hank was shouting orders for Calvin to drop the anchor. I looked around. I could still just see the shore. The sky was a deep blue, but there were some large clouds that could momentarily block the sun. Overall the conditions looked good for diving. The boat was just bobbing about in the water as the waves were small but choppy. My stomach told me the sooner I was under the water, the better.

Once it was quiet following the cutting of the engine, Connie called us together: "This first dive is five miles from shore. It is an old barge sunk in 55 feet of water. I want you to follow the anchor chain down to the bottom and have a maximum bottom time of 50 minutes and then a 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet. Take a note of your bottom time so we can use the dive tables to work out how much break we need before the next dive. If you are using a dive computer, you will not exceed the 50 minutes bottom time. Most of you will probably be out of air after 40 minutes, so check you gauges and leave enough reserve for the safety stop. Any questions?"

I think even Calvin and Trevor were intimidated by Connie, so no one asked a question.

"You... Owen will buddy with Trevor and Calvin. Monique, you are with me." I nodded back but turned towards Monique. This pairing was a blow to my expectations, but I felt slightly better when she returned the same look of disappointment to me.

Continuing Connie said: Monique get your gear and I will attach your tank properly. The rest of you should be able to do your own." Her tone made it clear we were dismissed to do our tasks.

I quickly put my gear together, turned on the air valve and tested the regulator and went through my checklist. I had the feeling that my buddies would not do any checks. I moved my gear to the stern as I realized that Hank had lowered a platform to make it easier for us to access the water.

"Monique and I will descend first." When Connie spoke we all stopped and listened. "On the wreck, we will start at the stern and then move to the bow. You boys start at the bow and move sternwards. That'll keep us out of each other's way. Remember to check the time at the surface when you head down. Any final questions?"

We looked to each other and shook out heads.

Sarcastically Connie said: "Calvin, you will turn on your air before you dive won't you." With that she did a giant stride into the water using her hands to hold her mask and tank in place.

Just before Monique joined her, I noticed she had been given the J valve tank. The valve was still turned down, so this wouldn't present a problem.

Just before the guys followed, I turned to them and said: "Just so we don't get separated, how about we each take turns to lead for 10 minutes. Trevor first, then Calvin and I will go last." They just shrugged at me which I understood to be acceptance.

I was last into the water. The girls had already descended. My regulator was fine and my buoyancy was ideal for a slow decent. I checked my watch, signaled I was "OK" and then pointed down to descend. I followed closely behind the other two, equalizing my ears as I descended.

The first thing that struck me was the clearness of the water with the sun shining. While the bottom was too far to see immediately, the reflection from the abundant fish as they turned rapidly created a continuous dazzle. The water was warm enough at the surface, but as we descended the temperature change came on like a gentle breeze.

We were soon at the anchor and ahead of us was a dark shape; obviously the wreck. At this depth visibility was about 15 to 20 feet due to algae blooms. I added a little air to my BCD so that I wouldn't stir up the bottom sediment with my fins and confirmed the depth on my gauge.

I wanted to follow the guys to start with as they had said they had dived here before. I was relying on them to show me the highlights. We turned to the right, so I assumed this must be to the bow. The bottom had been mainly sand until we reached the wreck which was sitting on what appeared to be rocks as they were covered in soft and hard corals, anemones and sponges.

You don't have to be an artist to appreciate the scenery. Every dive is a new experience and I am continually surprised by a world filled with color and beauty. The wreck was acting as an artificial reef. As it was entirely covered with a garden of life, it was only possible to make out large structures like the bollards on the gunnels and cabin features.

As Trevor slowly led us aft, we swam through a cloud of dish sized moon jellies. There were also angelfish and some schools of blue tangs. There were hundreds of species of reef and larger pelagic fish I couldn't recognize.

Throughout the dive it often became darker due to cloud covering, so I was not surprised that I had not seen Monique and Connie. My watch said we had been down for 28 minutes when I sighted Monique. As the sun came out her blue wetsuit almost glowed compared to the other subdued colors around her.

Of course, I starred at her silhouette underwater for a moment. Monique and Connie were facing each other and then I realized from the rapid movement and bubbles that something was wrong. Instinctively I swam towards them. Connie appeared to be fighting off Monique. Connie was soon kicking her fins and feet against her.

I was just approaching from behind Connie when she kicked hard and started a rapid ascent to the surface. Monique had seen me so we closed rapidly. She gave the signal for no air so I immediate passed over my regulator and held onto her. Monique put it in her mouth. The rush of bubbles indicated her need was desperate. I slipped my second regulator into my mouth and studied Monique's face to see if she was getting better. All this time, I held her so she didn't race to the surface.

It took over a minute for her to regain her self-control. In acknowledgement to my signal she finally returned to me an OK and nodded. I checked her pressure gauge. I was surprised that it indicated effectively empty. That was rapid air consumption even for a nervous novice. I then had a thought.

As I turned her around I could see that the J valve was now in the up position. I pulled it down and rechecked her gauge. It now read 600 psi. I showed her the pressure gauge and then held her own regulator and purged it to prove that she now had air. Once she was happy that her own regulator worked, I gave her the ascend signal and we slowly went up remaining below our bubbles.

Monique made sure we remained together by holding my BCD harness in a death grip. When we reached 15 feet. I stopped and pressed the relief button to purge some air from the BCD. She had been watching and did the same. I showed her my watch to indicate we were waiting three minutes. At the end of that time, she looked much happier when I indicated that we would ascend to the surface.

As we popped back above the waves, I removed my regulator to ask if she was now OK. In between coughing, she said she was much better. I then looked to where the boat should be waiting.

A deathly cold came over me. I couldn't see the boat. I looked around in every direction rapidly, then I did it again systematically. Monique then shouted: "Where's the boat?"

I couldn't believe that it was not there. Vainly thinking it might be hidden by the choppy water, I even removed my mask and fully inflated my buoyancy vest so my head was another six inches out of the water. Still nothing.

A little quieter but not calmer, Monique asked: "What has happened to the boat."

All I could say was: "I don't know."

"Could it be that we have come up in the wrong direction and that it is nearby? Should we swim about to see?"

I didn't answer at first. I needed to consider all the possibilities. Eventually I replied: "The anchor was no more than 30 feet from the wreck so the boat must have been within 100 feet. Even with the waves, we should be able to see the high profile of the cabin for at least 500 yards." The scary realization hit me as I said: "They must have left without us."

"Maybe they had to reposition and will soon come back," Monique declared with desperate hope.

Still trying to think things through, it was a while before I replied: "I can't see why they would have to move... and I can't understand why they would abandon us."

"How did you fix my air down there?" she asked.

I explained about how the J valve worked then said: "It must have been turned during the dive."