An Unexpected Romance Ch. 038-053

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 49

"And, I want to thank each and every one of you who took time out of your schedule to be here today. Your presence will benefit the children's hospital. And, I'm told, the money made here will be matched dollar for dollar by six, very generous, and anonymous donors. So, please. Keep those bids up for the children who need it the most. Thank you."

The auction house erupted into loud and long applause. Angela was near tears seeing her man plead for others' generosity for the children he didn't know.

"Hello," a feminine voice said, from behind her.

Angela turned to see a pretty woman. Brunette, blue eyes, dressed well.

"I saw you arrive with James Young. My name is Lisa Matthews. What is your..."

"Hello, Lisa," Brenda barked, with her interruption. She stepped between Lisa and Angela. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"I was just trying to meet this pretty young woman I saw arrive with James," she snidely replied.

"Lisa... No interviews without my say so. This is Angela Lasko. A friend of James. And for now, that's all she is. A friend. Now, you know the rules. If you come near James or Angela again, I'll be calling your editor."

"OK, OK," Lisa replied, with her hands slightly up in the air. She glared at Angela with a sly smile, then turned and walked away.

Angela was taken aback by Brenda's aggressiveness with Lisa.

"I'm sorry, Angela. I shouldn't have allowed her that close to you."

"Who is she?" Angela asked.

"Lisa is a sports writer for the Kansas City Express. She's also a well-known contributor to many of the gossip rags. I'm afraid your photograph and name may make the next editions because of her. If she bothers you again, walk away and find me, OK?"

Angela nodded.

The auction began and the bidding rapid.

Angela found James and he was signing baseballs and baseball cards for the participants of the auction. She smiled at him and he returned her smile. She walked over and stood near him. Not too close though. He was shaking too many hands. She looked over and found Lisa staring at her from a distance, smiling and watching Angela's every move and gesture. Brenda came over and whispered something into James' ear. A moment or two later, James looked over to Lisa and gently nodded her presence. Lisa nodded in return.

After finishing a baseball autograph, James pocketed his pen, walked over to Lisa and spoke with her for a few moments. When he turned away and returned to his autograph booth, he smiled at Angela again. Angela returned his smile.

Brenda came over and stood next to Angela. Then, a man brought two chairs for the ladies to sit in.

Chapter 50

In the middle of the auction, a very tall, older and well-dressed man, with graying dark hair and deep blue eyes, came to Brenda and spoke to her. Angela thought he must be well over 6 feet 7 inches tall. A moment or two later, Brenda gestured to Angela and the man looked towards her and smiled.

"Mr. Turner, this is James' friend, Angela Lasko. Angela, this is Nathaniel Turner."

"Miss Lasko. It is an honor to meet you. I hope your visit to Kansas City is a pleasant one," he grinned.

"Thank you, Mr. Turner. I've never been to Kansas City. It's a beautiful city," she offered.

"Great, I'm looking forward to you staying in our home while in Kansas City. If there is anything you need or want, let Brenda know and she will make sure it happens for you. When you are in our home, there are assistants available for you. Just ask for anything you need. Even if it's an ice cream sundae craving at 2 in the morning, OK?"

"Thank you," Angela replied, with a surprised tone.

"Brenda, how is the auction going? Smoothly I hope."

"Much better than you expected, Mr. Turner. James has been signing autographs and visiting with guests. I'm about to pull him from the crowd for a needed break. There was a little incident with Lisa before the auction began. She's over there, looking at us," Brenda said, gesturing over his shoulder.

"Oh? Lisa you say," Mr. Turner replied, as he turned towards Brenda's gesture. "With Miss Lasko, I presume."

"Yes, sir."

Mr. Turner turned to find Lisa and it didn't take him long. He stood out in the crowd with his great height and he could find anyone quickly because of it. He nodded to acknowledge her presence and she timidly nodded in return.

"Go get James for that break now. I need him fresh and chipper for the Pizza World commercial tomorrow."

Brenda whispered in James' ear and he turned to see Angela and Mr. Turner visiting. He left his autograph booth and smiled widely as he approached Angela. She returned his smile. He took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. She looked into his eyes, and returned his squeeze, with a welcoming smile.

"I take it the two of you have met," James began.

"Yes... She's more beautiful than you described on the phone," Mr. Turner mused.

"Thank you. She is beautiful," James said. He then leaned in to whisper to her, "I've missed holding your hand this past hour."

Angela squeezed his hand gently to show her appreciation.

Chapter 51

"James, you sold your house and furnishings to give to the children's hospital. That is so sweet of you. When will you take me there?"

"Perhaps on the next trip," James replied.

They were riding in the limousine from the auction to Mr. Turner's home.

"Brenda told me Lisa found you quickly today," he continued. "I'm not surprised. I've never been with a woman at events until today. I had to wait to find the prettiest girl from Texas first. She had to notice you when we arrived. I'm sure it took her by surprise."

Angela giggled, then spoke to Brenda, "You were... very direct with her."

"Honey, that's my job," Brenda replied, with a wave of her hand. "I can't let anyone and everyone get to you and James. They would take advantage. Being direct, as you call it, let's others know to keep their distance, or else. James tells me you're a successful business woman in your own right. Would you allow someone to take advantage of you, knowing you are in the right? I doubt it, or you wouldn't be successful."

Angela paused to reflect on Brenda's words. She was right, she thought. Some seasoned cattle buyers had pulled all the tricks in the books to get her to discount her cattle.

Then, Mr. Turner's home appeared in the limousine windows as they turned into a wide driveway. Angela was amazed. She had never seen such a large and beautiful home. As she stepped from the limousine, she admired the home and the beautiful lawn and gardens. A young man appeared from the front door and spoke with Brenda, who directed him to the trunk of the limousine to retrieve their luggage.

An older, well-dressed, tall, and beautiful African American woman appeared on the spacious front porch and declared, "James! Get up here and give me a hug, right now!"

Angela, again, was surprised. This had to be Mrs. Turner. Mr. Turner is a white man.

James took Angela's hand and led her up the steps of the mansion. Mrs. Turner took him into her arms and squeezed. When she released him, she turned to Angela and smiled widely.

"Mrs. Turner, this Angela," James said. "A friend of mine from Texas. This is her first trip to Kansas City."

"My, my, young lady. You will have to tell me how you captured James. Give me a hug."

Before Angela could respond, she was in a near crushing embrace.

"Thank you, Mrs. Turner. You're kind for having me in your home. It's so beautiful."

"Thank you, Angela, you're a Sweetie. I love your cute little accent. Get in here and let's get you two settled."

Mrs. Turner took Angela by the arm while they crossed the threshold of the huge double doors.

"Now... Tell me how you met, James," she whispered.

Chapter 52

"James, this house is huge. The bedroom is larger than all the bedrooms in our home."

James chuckled. "Mr. Turner is very successful. He entertains often to maintain his client base and businesses."

"You haven't told me about Mr. Turner."

"Well, Mr. Turner is originally from Kansas City," James began. "He played college basketball at Northwestern near Chicago. After graduating, at the top of his class, he attended law school at Northwestern, again, first in his class. He then attended business graduate school at the University of Pennsylvania, again, first in his class. He met Lois, Mrs. Turner, at Northwestern. She is from Cleveland. They have six adult children and 15 grandchildren. He returned to Kansas City and met some athletes from the Chiefs and Royals. He offered to invest their money into local and regional businesses, in return for partnerships. Once he found success, athletes from around the country sought him out. I was introduced to Mr. Turner by the owner of the Royals after I signed my first contract. We instantly became friends. He promised me, no matter what, he would never deceive me. I had so much money, I didn't know what to do with it. I told him I didn't want fancy homes, cars, and jewelry, like the other players on the team. I just wanted to be the me I was. To be like the fans. He told me, I was his first client in 20 years to say that. He took my money, invested it for me, and now... Well... I'm very wealthy, too. There's so much, I can't count it all. I began giving it to the children's hospital after the Royals owner suggested I begin volunteering there during the off season. It's his favorite charity."

"What a wonderful story, James. Mama told me of your wealth, but, I had no idea you gave so much away."

"I give all the credit to Mr. Turner. I couldn't have given the money to the children's hospital if he hadn't done what he has done for me," James sighed.

"James, I haven't had a kiss from you since this morning in my home. How much longer are you going to make me wait to taste your lips?"

"I have waited all day for this moment," he replied, as he approached her and took her into his arms.

When they broke their kiss, a young woman appeared in the doorway and announced, "Dinner is ready, Mr. Young."

Chapter 53

"Miss Lasko. May I call you, Angela?"

"Yes, Sir. Please," Angela said.

James and Angela were visiting after their evening meal with Mr. and Mrs. Turner. Mrs. Turner made it a special point to serve chicken fried steak, a Texas tradition, so James and Angela felt right at home.

"Thank you, Angela," Mr. Turner said. "I need to tell you, James here, is my favorite client. He has also become my very best friend. I admire his austere life style and sincere generosity to others, especially to the families of the children at the children's hospital. I've never seen such compassion from a man when he visits the sick children and their families. When he came and asked me to sell his home and furnishings for the children's hospital, I nearly wept. It was then, I realized, he really was leaving. Fourteen years of the best relationship I've ever had. I begged him to stay. But, I couldn't compete with the longing for his family in Texas. And look what happened when he didn't listen to me. He returns with the prettiest girl I've ever seen, except for Lois, of course."

Everyone chuckled, and Lois, pointed her finger at him with a "you got out of that one" smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Turner," James said. "You understate our friendship. But, I agree with the prettiest girl comment. Sorry, Mrs. Turner."

Everyone burst into laughter and Angela squeezed James's hand to say thank you.

12