An Unexpected Romance Ch. 054-067

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

James sighed.

"For now, no. So far, everything written is harmless. Even the photos are pretty sterile. Angela and I aren't touching or kissing, which if we were, would amp up the interest to readers. I don't want to sound alarmist, but, I'm curious how they found out so quickly about Angela's profession. Brenda thinks they are quote, 'Fascinated,' unquote, with her beauty and ruggedness of her profession. Candidly, I am, too," he mused.

"Angela," he continued. "Brenda wanted me to tell you to be yourself. Pretend it never happened. If anyone says anything unkind, just smile and walk away. 'Kill them with kindness,' are her words. She wants you to call her. George, Cynthia, if any strangers show up, be cautious. Call the Sheriff if you find anyone on your property. And call me if there is any trouble. I want to help. Mr. Turner can shake people down very quickly."

James saw the concern on George and Cynthia's face. He smiled, "I don't think anything will happen here. The people in George County, I feel, will ignore it all. Even be protective of you and Angela."

James had been standing by the table during this time. He pulled a chair from the table and sat next to Angela. Holding her hand, he said, in a slow, deliberate tone, "If we are together, you can expect this to continue. More than you see here. I'm a long time bachelor with a well-known baseball career. Everyone will want to know everything about you. Good and bad. I would understand if you felt uncomfortable with me because of this. I will walk away if you ask me."

Angela took her other hand and caressed his face. "I wasn't uncomfortable when you stopped on the side of the road to help me. I wasn't uncomfortable when I saw you give away your house and furnishings to children you didn't know. I wasn't uncomfortable when I saw you buy the single mother a minivan from your own pocket. I wasn't uncomfortable when she kissed you on the lips in gratitude." She giggled, and then continued, "I will be fine, so long as you are with me."

Cynthia and George smiled. Their daughter was growing up.

Chapter 66

"I think that's Angela's truck coming down the road."

James was in the kitchen peeling potatoes for supper when Michael made his announcement. He frowned. Angela didn't say anything about coming over.

He set the peeler down, washed his hands, and walked out the front door onto the front porch. Cathy did, too.

It was Angela alright. She slammed her brakes in the gravel driveway and flew out of the cab of the truck in tears.

"Angela, what's happened?" James exclaimed.

Angela ascended the porch steps in a sprint, and threw herself into James' arms. Squeezing the breath out of him with her arms.

"I had a horrible fight with Mama and Daddy!" she cried, through her sobs and tears. "I told them I wasn't going to college! That, I was staying here to be with you!"

James looked at Cathy with concern on his face. She replied with her own concern.

"OK," James replied, with concern in his tone. "I am the only reason you don't want to go to college? I thought you had plans for years to begin this fall?"

"I did," she sobbed. "But that was before I met you."

James looked at Cathy again with greater concern this time.

"Come inside. Let's talk. I'm sure something can be worked out here," James offered.

"NO!" she snapped, while pushing him away. "I'm staying! Here with you! I'm not going! Don't you want to be with me?"

"Yes! I do want to be with you!" he snapped, in reply. "I want to understand what has happened. Why won't you talk to me inside?"

"OK, but, I'm not going to college!"

Angela pushed him aside on her way to the front door and into the house. James whispered to Cathy, "Call Cynthia. Tell her Angela is here and she's OK."

Cathy nodded.

Cathy entered after James and went straight to her bedroom with her phone.

"Hi, Cynthia. This is Cathy Young."

"Hi, Cathy. Is Angela with you?" she asked.

"Yes, she's with James now. Talking. I wanted to call and tell you she's safe and OK. She's upset about a fight she had with you. Over college."

"Thank you. She left here very upset and she didn't tell us where she was going. I was hoping she would go to James."

"I'll have James call you, later. OK?"

"Thank you," Cynthia replied, with a sob.

Chapter 67

As James entered the house, Angela was already standing in the middle of the living room. Arms crossed in front of her chest and choking back sobs.

"I don't think I've seen you so upset," he offered, as he sat on the couch. "I think you are much prettier with a smile."

Angela tried to smile, but, she fought it off.

"OK," James began. "You and your parents disagree about college, all because of me. Right?"

Angela nodded.

"I'm a little disappointed," he said. He paused to gauge her reaction. She turned to him and frowned.

"Yeah... Disappointed. I've seen you negotiate cattle prices with others like I've never seen before," he offered. "You know well. A good negotiator makes sure all parties get what they want. Not necessarily the perfect want, but, its acceptable." He paused to let Angela take in his words. Her face turned to interest, but, still a frown was present.

"But, in this case, there are two parties who are not happy. Not happy at all. I see you here with me, something that you want, but you are still not happy. You haven't smiled since the moment you arrived." He paused again to let her taste his words.

"Why haven't you negotiated with your parents to an acceptable resolution?" he asked, with a stern tone.

"Because, there is no other way! I can't go to college and be with you, too!" she roared, with her arms flayed out in front of her.

"Are you sure? I can think of two options where, it may not be perfect, but it may work," he offered.

"How?" she snapped. She popped her crossed arms across her chest.

"I can come see you on weekends, and you can come see me on weekends. I may even spring for a weekday visit. Isn't Coastal Plains College just 130 miles away in Thessaly?"

She nodded. The scowl still present.

"It isn't perfect, but it may work. It will only work if we agree to try to make it work." He paused again. "I'm also disappointed I wasn't told of your plans before now. I AM involved, aren't I? If a woman and a man care for one another, they must talk. Negotiate. So each of them are happy. I'm trying my very best to talk with you right now. To negotiate a resolution where you will smile, instead of frown at me."

That broke Angela from her frown. She resisted, but his comment turned her lips upward.

"I will not sit here and tell you what to do," he began. "You are too much of your own woman for me to tell you what, when, and where. But, I will tell you. Disagreement with your parents will always go bad for you. If there are any two people who care for you, it's your Mama and Daddy. They will love you, no matter what. Me, on the other hand. I'm a work in progress. You and I may love one another someday, and resolution with your parents now, will give you practice to resolve disagreements with me in the future."

He paused to gather his thoughts. "This is my suggestion. You stay for supper and we call your parents. I will escort you home and Michael will bring your truck home for you. Resolve things with your parents and then call me. I care for you, Angela. I want to help you go to college and see you at the same time."

He stood and took her in his arms. A loving embrace. She nodded her head on his chest and cried some more, knowing he was right.

Cathy heard it all from the kitchen and was weeping happy tears. She called Cynthia and told her... all will be good.

12