Apprehended Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they were finished, Bertha offered me a big hug and kissed my cheeks. She spoke of a future visit to catch up, thanked Ethan and warned him to take care of me. Ethan smiled and we told her goodbye. As we exited, I was still secretly thinking of that nightmare dress and Ethan's reaction.

"You want to tell me what happened?" he asked, interrupting my thoughts. He opened the back door of the truck and began placing the bags in the backseat.

It was incredulous of him to not know why I had reacted the way that I did. His response to that stupid dress was enough to destroy anyone's portrayal of self. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He finished with the bags and locked things up, turning to face me and leaning against Cheryl with his hands in his pockets. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. You do realize that I smelled your tears the minute you walked back into that fitting room, right? I am anything but misinformed. Especially when it concerns you."

"It's nothing."

"It's nothing?" he repeated. His shook his head in disbelief. "You were crying, and I'm supposed to ignore it? What kind of male would I be if I allowed that? What kind of mate would I be?"

I shrugged, unable to answer. I wasn't going to argue with him in the middle of the sidewalk. It was fairly crowded due to the holiday season fast approaching. Trickles of snow had already fallen earlier whilst we were shopping, covering the ground in a light sheet of powder. Night had descended, the moon masked by thick clouds.

Ethan followed my gaze and sighed. "It's late. We can discuss this later. I'm taking you home."

"Home? I thought we were going to continue shopping?"

He rubbed his eyes wearily. "I don't like you being outside at this time without enough protection. Particularly because of the incident that caused us to leave in the first place."

I took a gander at the people around us. No one seemed threatening. "No one is here, Ethan."

He pushed off the truck, causing it to shake back and forth momentarily. "Not yet. Why do you think I've been eyeing the windows all day? I'm not taking any chances with you. Daylight gives me the advantage of no shadows. Despite being able to see in the dark, I'd still rather not risk your safety. I would continue shopping, but I don't like the fact that I don't have back-up to extract you if trouble were to arise. Without another male, I could leave you undefended while fighting something off. Understand?"

Okay. He did have a point. That nightmare at the campfire was enough action for me. I wasn't looking for a round two. "Fine," I replied.

"Good," said Ethan, opening my door. "Now get in."

I tossed him a glare, but he didn't notice. He was too busy being cautious. When I was in, he hopped into the driver's seat and in a few seconds, we were driving, making our way back up the mountain.

To say the ride back was awkward and filled with tension would be an understatement. It reminded me of the car ride with Ethan and Tony; filled with uncomfortable silence and even worse conversation. I half expected Ethan to simply stay quiet, assessing the area as we drove, but I wasn't so lucky.

"What happened in the shop?" he blurted, one hand on the wheel, the other on his thigh.

I turned to stare at him, his outline hidden in shadows. "You want to talk about this now?"

"No time like the present."

I tossed him another glare. "I don't want to."

"That's too bad because I refuse to let it go."

He was unbelievable. "And I refuse to speak."

"Is that so?" he drawled.

I didn't answer.

He had the audacity to smile and it distracted me. He was so beautiful that even upset he was magnificent. Then he said something I was not expecting. "Was it about the red dress?"

Shit.

"Fuck the dress," I mumbled, huddling into my new coat.

Ethan chuckled lowly. "So it was the dress. Why would that make you cry, love?"

Oh. Now he wanted to be sweet? After the face he made when I wore it?

"Did you not like it?" he continued. He glanced at me, his eyes glowing in the darkness.

I must have made some sort of face, because Ethan's brows shot up. "What?" he asked.

"I should ask you the same question," I snapped.

He looked genuinely confused. "I'm sorry?"

"About liking it," I specified. "Should I apologize for offending you with the ugliness of wearing it too?" I couldn't help it. All of my fury poured forth like a malfunctioning dam; spilling out and causing destruction in its path.

Ethan processed that. Then said, "You think I didn't like the dress? Is that why you were crying?"

I didn't answer. I huddled further into my coat, refusing to meet his potent eyes.

Ethan stared between the road and I, waiting. When he realized what was really going on, his features changed, and a growl permeated the truck. "Please," he spat, stressing that particular word, "tell me that you did not think ill of me when I saw you in that fucking dress."

Once again, my mouth did the work before my brain could take over. "Did you see your face? You practically begged me to take it off!"

He lifted a single finger. "Stop yelling. And the only reason I told you to take off that blasted dress was because I was nearly on the verge of taking you in the middle of that fucking shop! Right in front of Bertha!"

I blinked.

And blinked some more.

"What?"

"You think I was disgusted by you in that dress?" he asked.

Once again, I didn't answer.

He shook his head. "You're unbelievable. After everything we've been through...everything I've showed you, you still believe that I don't want you? Especially in that dress?"

I had no answer for that. It seemed my self-recriminations were destroying the little progress I was making on my worth.

"Annie," he said, sternly.

I finally looked at him, my eyes brimming with tears.

"You have no idea the restraint it took for me to control my instincts when you came out in that fucking dress. If I lost control for even one moment, the dress would have been destroyed, Bertha would have been locked up in the back room and you would have been naked in that motherfucking dressing room with your legs spread and me inside of you."

I swallowed. Loudly.

Jesus.

"That is not the way I envisioned our first time being together." He continued to glance at me while driving, his face set in harsh lines. "I'm not going to ask you why you thought so badly of me or why you continue to question my feelings for you. I'm simply going to show you."

I swear, my eyes went wide. "Show me? What?"

He reached out and grabbed my hand, encompassing it in his warm palm, where he gave it a light squeeze. "Yes, baby. Show you. I'll show you exactly how much you mean to me. Believe me when I tell that you will never doubt me again either. I'll show you just how beautiful and special you are. I'll show you how desirable you are, and the pleasures of your beautiful body."

I gulped. Fucking hell. I didn't know how to take this. What exactly was he planning? Could I go through with it?

I stared at his heated, heavy-lidded eyes; his large, strong body that promised any female unimaginable pleasure.

And I realized that despite those physical lures that drew me to him, he was so much more. He was fire and ice. He was safety and happiness. He was desperation and warmth in the cold. He was desire and passion.

It seemed I misinterpreted the entire situation at the shop. I caught him in a time of need, repression, and apparent struggle, not disgust. I realized that I needed to apologize for assuming. Assumptions certainly caused damage. I never experienced that effect until I met Ethan.

"I'm sorry," I said. "It's just that...your face at the time. I didn't know what it meant exactly, or how to take it."

Ethan sighed wearily. "I know that I'm difficult to read," he admitted. "But talk to me. That is what I'm here for. You. I don't like assumptions. I hate what it does. That's why you need to communicate with me, Annie. I'm not your enemy."

Enemy.

I associated that word with Jerry countless times. There was no comparison here. Not anymore.

Ethan looked over at me. "Time offered you the ability to trust me, did it not?"

I nodded, unable to deny it. "Yes."

"Then time will also offer you the ability to believe how much I want and need you."

I processed that.

Funny thing was, I wanted and needed him too.

However, it was harder for me to put such emotions into a verbal truth; one Ethan would believe wholeheartedly.

"Stay in the car!"

"What?" I watched Ethan, confused.

But he wasn't looking at me. He was watching the chaos taking place above, high in the mountain. Just a few feet above the truck on the narrow road, the orange glow of an apparent fire lit up the night sky.

Ethan was out of the truck in less than a second. With the door open, he tossed his hoodie, cap, and sneakers into the drivers seat. Then he peeled his shirt off, exposing his chest to the frigid evening air. He looked at me and pointed a firm finger in my direction. "Lock the doors behind me. All of them. Keep your head down. If you see anything-no matter who or what you think it is-you hide under the dash and make it look like the truck is empty. I'm coming back for you. No matter what. Is that clear?"

I shook my head, trying not to panic.

"Good." He slammed the door closed and I watched in disbelief as his body transformed before me; contorting and rippling as if the skin were vibrating at uncontrollable speeds.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and quickly pushed his clothes aside to get a closer look. Despite being terrified, I knew it was Ethan behind the transformation. And it was horrifying.

His skin tore apart as bones reformed and hair exploded forth. Ethan growled, the sound transforming from that of man to that of an animal. He shook violently, his back contorting and his spine enlarging and lengthening before my eyes. His legs followed, twisting in such a way that it seemed as though they broke, only to reform again in a different angle.

Large teeth erupted, breaking through the gums as spit drizzled down the animal's maw. It snarled and shook its head, more hair bursting forth and large ears prickling up. All too quickly, Ethan was gone, replaced with the wolf, who gleamed in the light of the moon. Golden fur that matched his sparkling eyes glimmered along the snow-lined road and I pressed my nose to the glass window in awe.

His animal was even more magnificent than the man; a luring beast with brute strength and immense size. Equal to the size of the truck, Ethan turned to look at me, his head lowering to meet my eyes. Despite the extreme conversion, his eyes remained the same-deep and filled with a keen intelligence that exposed the capacity of the man within.

I pressed my hand-palm open-to the glass. Ethan hesitated briefly before taking off at such a high speed, he was nothing more than a golden blur on the road ahead. He turned, ascending, leaving me all alone.

I quickly went back to the passenger side and sat just underneath the dash, tucking my knees to my chest to wait this out. It was quiet. Not even the trees danced with the wind. The only sound that penetrated the truck was that of my erratic breathing.

Eventually, I grew panicky as I realized that at any given moment, someone or something other than Ethan could find me here, trapped with nowhere to run.

Still, I waited.

The silence was getting thicker, permeating the truck with unease. Surely I would hear something by now. Right? If something were wrong...if there was fighting...I would hear it.

I shuffled around uncomfortably, attempting to control my uneven breathing. The last thing I should do is panic. But that was proving to be difficult.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when something large knocked three times on the truck's door-near my side. I froze, holding in my breath. Would Ethan knock? Did he say he would? Surely he didn't. I would've remembered that.

"Luna," a male voice called out. "It's Gavin."

I exhaled in relief. Ethan's cousin and beta came for me.

With shaky hands, I unlocked the door. Just as I was about to get up from under the dash, Gavin pulled the door open and I nearly fell out of the truck...ass first.

"Whoa," he said, grabbing me from behind.

Like I weighed little next to nothing, Gavin lifted me out of the truck and pulled me to my feet. He steadied me before I could gain my bearings. Shivering, I folded my arms over my chest and asked the only question that was on my mind. "Is Ethan okay?"

Gavin smiled. "He is my Luna. He's more than okay. He sent me to fetch you. He didn't want you out here alone in the truck undefended. Neither do I." He looked around, searching for...something. "Let's get you to safety. We don't want Dina anywhere near you."

He urged me back into the truck and moved at inhuman speed to the driver's side. He got in, started the truck, and took off at a considerable speed. "Dina?" I asked. "Isn't she locked up?"

Gavin shook his head, his blonde hair silky and shiny. I realized that he wasn't wearing a cap. His hair was just as lovely as Ethan's. I looked him over. They shared many physical attributes. It wasn't difficult to tell that they were related. "She escaped."

I gasped.

"And started a fire," he added, dryly.

"Was anyone hurt?" I asked, mortified.

"Thankfully, no. We have a couple of males combing the area for any signs of her. She's an intelligent female. She left no tracks behind."

Fear sliced through me.

Fuck.

"Are we leaving again?" I asked, frightfully. "We just got here."

"Alpha hasn't made any decisions."

We hit a few bumps on the icy road, traveling the rest of the way in relative silence. When we arrived at the cabins, I was absolutely horrified. Gavin stopped at the second cabin to the right. I got out slowly, assessing the area.

The cabin Dina was being held in was burnt to the ground. Jagged pieces of wood, debris and ash lay on the scorched dirt, with melted snow around the disaster. All clan members-save for a few males-were standing around the destruction, listening to Ethan as he spoke. Somehow, they managed to get dressed again after no doubt having to shift. I wondered how they put the fire out.

I moved timidly towards what was left of the cabin, catching sight of Ethan talking to a few large males-Jared, Edwin and Richen included. Ethan-of course- focused on me the minute I arrived. He smiled and opened his arms for me after dismissing the clan.

I ran, unable to contain my emotions. Thank god he was safe.

He engulfed me, his warm embrace proof that he was okay. That he was still here with me. I breathed him in, pressing my body into his tightly.

He chuckled lowly and kissed the top of my head. "Are you alright?" he asked, pulling away to look me over.

"Yes. Are you?"

"Of course I am, sweet Luna. Even better now that you're here with me." He pulled me back into his body and wrapped his arm around me, holding me tightly against him as he addressed Gavin. "Beta. Did you see anything?"

"No," Gavin replied. "Any word from the watchers?"

"Not yet. I told them to inform me immediately if they come across any indication of her presence. Can you join them?"

Gavin nodded once. "Yes, Alpha. Are we leaving again?"

"No. At least not yet. I'd like to think that we can handle a lone female."

"Aye," replied Gavin. He clapped hands with Ethan.

"Stay safe, my brother."

"You too." Gavin looked at me with a swift wink. "Be safe, my Luna."

He took off, disappearing down the road. I looked up at Ethan, his height towering over me. "What do we do now?" I asked.

We began walking toward Ethan's cabin. "We secure the area and station clan members around the perimeter to keep 24-hour watch. We're not leaving."

I licked my suddenly dry lips, asking the one question that bothered me the minute Gavin told me of Dina's escape. "Do you think she's going to come back...for us?"

"I don't know, mea vita. But I refuse to take chances with you. I can handle her. You cannot. Nor will you ever have to. I'm not leaving you alone and unprotected."

I processed that. "Does that mean you're not leaving me?"

He nodded once. "Not until she is captured."

Despite being scared, I knew that Ethan would keep me safe. And although having him around me all day and night for protection was going to be a challenge, I couldn't help but feel relieved. There were little distractions up here, so we had an unlimited amount of time to be with each other. At least, until Dina showed up once more.

As of right now, there was nothing more that I wanted, than to be alone with the man who was apprehending my heart.


12