Bard's Tale 06 - Tahna, and more

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The third psalm said, Life is an opportunity, not a promise.

Tia began reciting the psalms aloud, and as long as her voice held out, Tahna echoed her. During her flogging, Tahna had held out as long as she could, but somewhere after the twentieth stroke, she had begun weeping, yet gritting her teeth in her determination not to cry out. Despite all her intentions to remain strong to those reveling in her agony, the last twelve lashes had forced the screams from her. Passing out had been unavoidable after that.

* * * * *

On the return of Reison and Mindal from their dinner, Tia explained about the visit from the Lawgiver. Both expressed serious concerns, but seeing Tahna sitting up and being more mobile drove such concerns away. Tahna took the hot soup gratefully, dipping the bread into the broth to soften it for eating. As she ate, she paused a few times as flashes of nausea made itself known and she slowed down eating her meal.

Tia picked up her daypack and, after some quick hugs, she headed downstairs.

Outside the inn, she cast the spell portal.

Stepping through, Tia arrived in New Brittany, appearing in the cleared compound surrounded by the circle of buildings owned by her family and some of their in-laws.

Directly east from where she stood was the road to the village of New Brittany itself. Beside the road lay the acreage used by the farmers to produce the food for their village. From that same village center three months earlier on a cold spring morning, Tia and her two sisters had set out for their annual journey to City of the Suns. All three of us were so different then! she mused.

Southeast from her arrival point in a quarter arc were the homes of the McIntyres and their skilled woodshops; adjacent were the McGuires and their wonderful bakery ovens. Next to them were the McClouds and their pottery kilns. Directly south was the path to the huge gazebo able to seat two score visitors overlooking the small river known as Little Seine.

Southwest from where Tia stood were buildings for the archery range, gymnasium, and the magical laboratory. Deep in the basement of the latter building was the sacred grotto and spring dedicated to the goddess Cerridwen, closely overseen by Mothers Charmain and Morgan. During her tenth year, she'd been allowed to visit the sacred underground shrine, but since entering the service of the Lawgiver, visits had been discouraged.

West stood the family's armory, a three-story circular tower that guarded the short road leading to the circle of monolithic menhirs, the large dolmen at the circle's center, and line of oak trees bordered by the ring of smaller stones at the edge of the forest. Once upon a time, the center of the circle had contained the Well of the Worlds, but several gods had fought there, and after the death of Mother Renenet, the Well had been moved to another undisclosed location.

North was her parents' three-story manor; north and east were smaller add-on homes for some her half-siblings.

A few moments after she arrived, the front door of the house opened; her mother, Frínulas, opened the screen door and called out as she waved. "Tia! Come on in, my girl, and visit with us a bit!"

She'd given them no warning, yet somehow her parents knew she'd arrived home by magical means.

Behind her Mother Morgan peeked. Tia hurried over, climbing the steps to the covered porch. Frínulas held open the screen until her daughter crossed the threshold. Once inside, mother and sister-wife warmly embraced her in turn. And despite the last encounter when three of her mothers had learned about their whirlwind marriage, at this moment there were no recriminations, just a genuine gladness to see Tia for her own sake. The warm welcome made Tia nearly cry.

"What an unexpected surprise! It's so good to see you!" her mom said happily.

Morgan grinned. "She has ze raccoon eyes! Bred she is and happy for it. Soon you be grand-mère again, Frínulas, this time by your eldest child."

Savory aromas wafted in from the kitchen as they held onto each other, eager to maintain the physical connection touching provided before at last letting go. For all that she liked being grown and independent, Tia loved her family and the winters spent here. She knew she would miss them all.

Frínulas nodded as she looked over her daughter. "You look tired, but overall, better than when you left, my girl. It's early yet, but are you happy with the marriage thus far?"

Nodding with enthusiasm, she found tears spilling down her cheeks as she grinned. "I love him so much, Mom! Tahna and Mindal, too. And he loves us back."

"No problems sharing with your sisters?"

"A little with Mindal being greedy, but she's learning. Mostly we worry about wearing him out. I have to use a lot of spells to keep him ready and available."

"Always wanting your notch filled, eh? I'm afraid you got your raging libido from me and your father," Frínulas said. "I'd say you have to suck it up, but you are probably doing that, too."

Tia blushed crimson.

Morgan laughed. "She newlywedded! How you say, baiser comme des lapins?"

Frínulas grinned at Tia. "So, daughter of mine, do you fuck like rabbits?"

"Every chance we get."

"Ha! Good for you!" her mother said with approval. "You're in the capital now?"

"Just arrived yesterday. How are you doing, Mom?"

"I get ze snacks and drinks," Morgan said, and headed into the kitchen through the swinging doors.

Frínulas guided Tia to a couch in the family room, and was surprised to see her half-sister Elisabeth stretched out on a recliner, afghan covering her feet and waist, and clearly fast asleep.

"I'm doing all right, keeping busy," the tall swordswoman replied. "I got your two letters. Thank you for the updates. I think the hard part is knowing that you won't be here this fall, helping me make breakfast for our family. Instead, you'll be in a home of your own, waiting to give birth to your first child. You and your sisters, too. I've had more years than I deserve with you helping me. I have treasured those times, baby girl."

"I have learned so much from you, Mom. Even though we aren't here, please don't forget we love you!"

"I know, I know."

Morgan returned with a large tray with a platter of fresh-baked cookies. Right behind Morgan was Charmain carrying the tea service. Cups were set out and in no time, Tia had a cup of chamomile tea steeping, and three delicious ranger cookies on a small plate. Delighted, she inhaled the herbal scent, feeling some of her anxieties slip away.

The three older women took some cookies for themselves and set their own preferred tea flavors to soak.

"The other two must be with Dad tonight?"

Frínulas nodded. "For Morgan's sake, let's switch to French, shall we?"

The half-fae woman smiled in gratitude. "Thank you, my loves. Almost a century and I still have a terrible accent with elvish and Ba'lorian." Morgan stared at Tia briefly, then said, "She's happy to see us, but a dark cloud hovers behind her. Something important has happened to them."

As quickly as she could and covering the important details, Tia told her three mothers the events surrounding Tahna. By the time she was done, her birth mother held her hand in hers, and she quietly wept. "Oh, my Tahna, what have you done? You said the Lawgiver Herself visited and now she's able to move around easier?"

"Yes," Tia confirmed. "She reduced the pain from the flogging, but she didn't heal the damage. She also confirmed the suspension. After the goddess left, Tahna was able to sit up on her own whereas before, she could hardly move."

"Stubborn belle," Morgan said. "Always letting pain stab her heart. It's long past time for her to heal. Try your counsels, but after a year and her heart is still heavy, bring her home for immersion in the sacred pool. It will lessen the sharpness of her long memories."

"You'd do that?" Tia asked.

"Of course, we would!" Morgan said, frowning. "All of you fed from our breasts. Frínulas gave you life, but you are mine as much as you belong to Frínulas, to Charmain, and to Galamindöl. Our sweet Renenet may be gone, but her avatar lives on in Mayet. And for shame, you three have not welcomed Mayet as you should have."

"Mayet is not the same woman they loved and grew up with. Acceptance cannot be forced, and now's not the time for recriminations, Morgan," Frínulas said. "Let's focus on Tia and Tahna right now. Where in the capital are you staying?"

"The Grey Wolf Inn," Tia answered.

Frínulas nodded. "As I recall, it's clean and the food is decent. I'm not sure who will come with me, but we'll be there after breakfast here. Should I bring anything?"

"Actually, because of her back injuries, Tahna needs blouses that tie around the neck, and can be secured to either skirts or trousers or have loops for a belt. I think it will be at least a week before she will be able to tolerate anything touching her back."

"The clothing, is this something you can help with Morgan? Or you, Charmain?" Frínulas asked.

The two women looked at each other and then nodded. "Certainly," Morgan replied. "We will make several for her to wear."

"How long can you stay, Tia?" Charmain asked.

"Oh, not much longer, I'm afraid. Though I had intended to pick up my stash of Blashfor's diapers and use one for Tahna. However, since she's able to move around, I think I might spare her the embarrassment."

"Probably a good idea," Frínulas confirmed with an amused grin.

"What she endured took a lot out of her," Tia said. "She's likely to want to nap during the day tomorrow. Can you bring some of the magical items I have in storage here? We bought a place not too far from a marketplace. We will make use of the two magical toilets, leaving two in storage. Oh, and we'll need the magic laundry box. Everything in the place has to be remodeled. It will take weeks to become habitable, but when you come, you'll get to see it in its original state."

Her mother laughed. "Okay, now I know I'll need help lugging your stuff. Anything else, daughter of mine?"

Tia shook her head. "Not yet. And wait on bringing my usual collection of books just yet. The place used to be a warehouse. There's no running water yet, either. But it's big and I think it has a lot of potential."

Frínulas smiled. "Once you have the remodeling plans made, I'm sure we can persuade your father to help get the plumbing done, so that you have hot and cold water to the kitchen and all the bathrooms."

Both Morgan and Charmain nodded in agreement.

Unable to help herself, Tia burst out laughing. She'd seen her mothers go to work on her father before. "That would be amazing. And it would be good to see Dad. But if it doesn't work out, Duchess Diane's daughter Anya is a short distance away and will likely want to help."

"I hope you don't mind," her mother said, "but we reached out to your young man's parents."

"Husband, Mom. Umm... you did?" Tia asked, wondering how that might have gone.

"Not in person, if that's what you're worrying about," Frínulas reassured her. "I wrote them a letter, and everyone critiqued it. His father wrote back and told us what happened during your visit." Then giving Tia a serious look, she quietly said, "That was incredibly generous what you did for his sister. Giving up three years of your life to bring back his sister, Miriel."

"Not just his sister, Mom," Tia corrected. "His sister is my sister, too. Tahna and Mindal, we all agreed it was so."

Morgan nodded gravely. "Family and love are the most important lessons, are they not? Tia has taken such values to heart. She is a woman you should be proud of, Frínulas."

Frínulas clasped Tia's hand. "I assure you I am very proud of her. Master Whisper Wind says that immediately after you left their home, his mother regretted her words. She rushed outside to apologize, but you'd already left. A few of us have offered to visit so that we can get to know each other, but he cautioned us against it. He says the bigotry against humans is getting worse, and those with cooler heads have been made to keep quiet or leave. While he didn't come right out and say we might be attacked, his expressions of concern for our safety have given us cause for worry."

Tia nodded. "Mindal told us it was bad. Reison kept trying to apologize for something he had nothing to do with. He was born in Woodhaven, and the blatant discrimination pervading his home town bothers him. Reison really is a good man and a loving husband. The treatment from his neighbors and his own mother left him hurt, bewildered, and ashamed. We gave him a lot of hugs and kisses and got out of there as fast as we could."

"Well, I expect to hear about that whole adventure is great detail," Frínulas said. "And I want to hear about your journey from City of the Suns to the capital."

"Which one?" Tia shot back, then immediately regretted it.

Her mother narrowed her gaze. "Okay, you cannot say something like that and not tell us what you meant by that remark."

Mentally calling herself an idiot, she let out a breath. With her mom and two of her mothers listening raptly, Tia quickly recounted their adventures the first time they left City of the Suns and the necessity for their return.

When she was done, Frínulas shook her head again. "My poor girl. Tahna sure has been getting the short end of things of late."

Morgan and Charmain nodded grimly.

"A future dryad daughter and a powerful green dragon." Frínulas paused a moment. "A creature that powerful, it could easily do a fly-by here and do untold damage before any of us where aware of the danger. We'll have to check out the tale, of course."

"Can't afford not to," Charmain observed. "As for the dryad... hmm. You know, there's a large grove of dryads and satyrs near Felicity's place on the west coast. I'm pretty sure they'd be open to having another dryad join their grove. As it is now, that Holly is alone and it will take her years to grow even a small stand of trees."

Morgan agreed. "We can tackle that after High Summer, I think."

Charmain nodded.

Tia pushed her plate of crumbs forward and stood up. "I really wish I could stay longer, but I have another stop to make before I go home."

Frínulas winced.

"That wasn't meant to hurt you, Mom," Tia told her. When her mother stood, Tia gave her a good hug. "New Brittany will always be the home of my childhood filled with happy memories. Home is wherever Reison needs to be, Mom. Sharaton-Charlottesville has the Bard College, and it will take him years before he's even ready to enter the school. In the meantime, I want a home that will give our children years of stability, love, and learning. I think that stability will be good for Tahna and Mindal, too."

The swordswoman gave her daughter a firm hug and let her go. "I know that, Tia. I'm still adjusting to the fact you three are married, have moved out, and are going to have your firstborn children. I'm thrilled that three of my girls are going finally to have kids. My sister-wives and I are going to love being grandmothers again. And yes, some of our other children, like your twin sister, have already given us great grandchildren, but it's even more special for me because you are my girls. Besides, once you're done tomorrow, I'll visit your twin sister and her still very studly husband."

"Timony has been a very good husband for her," Morgan said with a smile.

"Maybe I'll just go with you!" Tia declared.

Her mother and the others laughed even as they shook their heads.

"You have eyes alone for your man, Tia," Charmain said. "You will put a damper on our enjoyment of the eye candy. And like your man, Reison, Timony only has eyes for his bride. In his eyes, she is the same as the day they married."

"She's been a good sister," Tia said. "More than I deserve."

"Don't you go stealing my lines!" Frínulas exclaimed. "I have four beautiful girls and none of them are like me except in temperament and sex drive. Yet I remain immensely proud of all of you."

They walked out onto the porch, each giving Tia a hug and a kiss to her cheek. They watched in silence as the priestess moved back to where she'd arrived, cast the portal spell, stepped through, and vanished.

The three women stood staring at where Tia had vanished.

Morgan said at last, "She's really become a potent person in her own right. Tracking down a dryad who doesn't want to be found? That's power and dedication. She also tracked Reison's lost sister when other mages failed to even find a trace of the girl. One was even an arch-mage. When others might give up, she finds a way."

"Tahna and Mindal helped all the way," Charmain added.

"Oh, of course they did," Morgan acknowledged. "They're sisters and have always had each other's back. Odd that Theodonra went her own way so quickly, but it is what it is. She, too, has made a name for herself."

Frínulas nodded. "Tell me again, Morgan, what did the oracle stones say about them."

The half-fae mage's intense blue eyes darkened. "Seven, maybe eight years before things get worrisome. And no, I have tried twice since and still no further clarity on what comes after that. Besides, we will have our own challenges to face."

Frínulas snarled, "Reynaud is a fucking idiot! It was bad enough he was involved in murdering Princess Taluveae. But this? Damn his arrogance! And damn him again! Trying to ensnare a wyrm with an Orb of Dragon Control! It's clear he's already lost control of the dragon and now he's the slave. I'd say good riddance, but all of Woodhaven is now ensnared and may become food for a nasty dragon. Even now he poisons the leadership with whispers of hatred and the evils of human greed. And no change if we attack them?"

Morgan said, "None. With every scenario, there is failure with many casualties. Worse, we would leave New Brittany open to retaliation and destruction. Here, we are strong! Even better, some former students may even find their own minds again."

"In the meantime," Charmain said, "we keep urging Urthel and his wife to join us here. There will come a time when even a Silver Knight must retreat to keep those he holds dear safe. And we dare not say too much, to either Urthel or to Tia and our other children. Some of the future events we have foreseen can no longer be averted without catastrophe. Nearly all the branching paths lead to destruction. Even the gods are becoming involved. We must tread very carefully."

"Then we best pick the way that ensures our survival, for us and those who depend upon us," Frínulas observed. Morgan and Charmain shared an embrace with her. "I love my life here and I love my kids, and I'm not going to lie down and let some dragon destroy us or our home!"

The half-fae arch-mage and the witch queen shared a glance. If only an ancient forest wyrm and rampaging, corrupted wood elves were the worst ahead. Seeing the future and living to see it arrive was a burdensome, dangerous, and delicate dance that not even all gods were able to manage and survive. Luck and prayer were useful, but preparations helped immensely, and they'd already begun work to that end.

* * * * *

Part 4 - Master Allyn

* * * * *

Tia looked around at the passersby from just outside the Grey Wolf Inn. Her visit to see some of her family had gone better than she'd expected. Because of the Lawgiver's generosity, Tahna had less of a need for a caregiver. That said, it would probably do Tahna some good to visit with their mom. Better yet, they could help keep Tahna out of trouble.

Clearing her mind, she cast aerial servant.

As the powerful wind creature materialized before her, it gave her a nod of acknowledgment. "By Her will, I come to serve."