Beautiful Pt. 05

Story Info
The Fallout. A player is forced to quit the team.
20.5k words
4.93
14.4k
57

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 08/22/2023
Created 07/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JCMcNeilly
JCMcNeilly
2,421 Followers

And we're back with part five! One to go! I hope everyone is enjoying this. This is part five of six, if you're new to the series you should read the first parts before diving into this one. As always, all characters in explicit scenes are over eighteen.

******************

"This is not your fault, Sandy."

"I know, but still. I didn't want to put this kind of pressure on you."

We were standing in the school's visitor's parking lot, next to Sandy's burnt orange Jeep. We were completely alone, with about thirty minutes before kids and staff began pouring out of the building, anxious to begin their weekend. I needed to go back home to meet Will and Charlie before heading out to Paige's away game over at Broughton.

I really would have rather spent the afternoon with Sandy. She was such a private person, and I felt terrible about this kind of forced outing, if that's indeed what it came to. I hoped she'd be able to concentrate on the game tonight instead of everything else.

On the way back to my house I talked to Anna's father, ensuring that my son's planned evening at his girlfriend's house would be properly chaperoned. Charlie had a long evening of gaming scheduled, and a frozen pizza to keep him happy when he wanted it, if he ever got around to making it.

After dropping Will off I got to the field early, but the team was already in formation, stretching. Paige was in front, calling out instructions while Sandy walked in between the rows, arms crossed, her face a carven portrait of professionalism. If anything had leaked over to the team I couldn't tell.

I took a seat near the bleacher entrance on the visitor's side of the field. The only other parents here already were the Yews, who smiled and waved at me as I sat down. A few others filtered in before Patrick Harrison arrived, along with his wife, Saralynn. She came over and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Melanie, so good to see you. Patrick told me about the fuss this afternoon. If there's going to be a scene tonight he thought it might be good for me to be here."

"Well, I guess we're going to find out soon enough." I nodded toward the parking lot, where the Perry's were making their way up the walkway towards us. It was hard to say at this distance, but Renee seemed more than rather pleased with herself. I glanced back down to the field, where the girls were hustling off, back to the visitor's locker room. By the time the Perry's climbed up into the bleachers, the whole team was off the field, including the coaches.

"Oh, Melanie." Renee's voice dripped with insincere concern. "How are you? How is Paige? Is she even here? I honestly didn't expect to see either of you."

"What are you talking about? Why wouldn't Paige be here?" I gave her an innocent smile back, and her smug expression faltered only slightly before the loud speaker announced our team.

"Let's all give a warm Broughton welcome to the visiting Lost Valley Lady Panthers!" Our assembled parents stood and cheered as our girls took the field, followed closely by Coach Dalton, her long, tight curls pulled back into a loose ponytail. I pulled my gaze away so I could watch Renee Perry's face morph from conceit to shock to fury in the space of about ten seconds.

"What the f, um, hell is she doing here?" Renee rounded on Patrick Harrison. "You told me she was suspended! How could she not be suspended?"

"Well, the pictures you sent didn't show anything actually incriminating. I've spoken with everyone involved, and I'm convinced there was no wrongdoing."

Renee was almost screaming. "They went into an empty house together! How could there not be something going on! You!" Renee rounded on me. "How could you not be angry about this? What kind of mother are you?"

Anger flashed in my eyes, and I stood as tall as I could. I wasn't taller than Renee, but I did outweigh her by a good eighty pounds. "I am the kind of mother who knows, not thinks, not doubts, KNOWS that my daughter is not screwing her hockey coach. And I also know that you, Renee, have no idea what you're talking about."

"There's nothing there, Mrs. Perry." Patrick tried to put a conciliatory note in his voice.

"This isn't over, Principal Harrison. I'm going to have that woman removed."

I cocked my head at her. "Your daughter is forced to be a team player, and you decide to destroy the coach responsible. Says something about you, doesn't it?"

She turned slowly towards me. "Life isn't a team sport, Melanie. There's only you, and then there's everyone else. I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand that." Her eyes flicked down over my body before she gave me the most evil smile I'd seen outside of a Disney villain. She turned away as her husband came up into the bleachers, holding two sodas. His politician's smile only slipped for a second when he saw his wife's face.

They stalked away, and I drew a full breath for the first time in minutes. Saralynn put her hand on my shoulder. "Let's sit. So, I understand that if we win today we clinch a spot in the playoffs?"

I nodded, taking a seat with the principal's wife next to me, as her husband greeted a few of the other parents as they arrived. I kept up a basic conversation with Saralynn as I looked down over the field. Sandy glanced up at me, and I tried to wordlessly let her know that I was okay. Paige was leading the team through their pregame drills, but I did notice that Adrienne kept glancing up into the stands, her face worried. She missed a cue on a passing drill and the ball got by her, rolling beyond the end line. She left the line, running to get it. By the time she made it back, Sandy had materialized next to her.

I watched her whisper into Adrienne's ear, the coach's hand resting on her player's shoulder. Obviously I couldn't see or hear what Sandy was saying, but Adrienne's face visibly relaxed as my girlfriend spoke to her, and she rejoined the drill with a confident step.

A few moments later one of the assistant coaches blew the whistle, and the team headed toward the sideline. Sandy's eyes traveled up into the stands, and I knew they'd come to rest on the Perry's. Her expression was hard as granite, and she held eye contact for a long second before turning away to the task at hand.

I was very grateful for Saralynn's presence, as I was more than a little worried about Renee Perry rejoining the conversation without anyone else present. Bill and Ashley had arrived just a few seconds before the opening pass-back. Little Georgia was with them, and she was immediately the center of attention with several of the moms and younger sisters in attendance.

I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to hide what was going on from Bill, especially since he knew me probably better than anyone. Sad, huh? Maybe Sandy was changing that, though.

The first half passed without incident, or any scoring on the field. Broughton's defense was definitely the strength of their team. We'd had a few good looks, the closest call coming when Dani hit the outside of the post after a nice pass from Adrienne. Paige and the rest of the midfield were dominant though, keeping almost all the possession down on the offensive half of the field.

I'd finally let myself get into the flow of the game, the stresses of the day fading away as I watched my daughter play the sport she loved. Of course, it all came crashing back as I saw Senator Perry talking to Bill. I pushed the panic down, watching them talk out of the corner of my eye.

Bill glanced up at me several times over the course of the conversation. The horn sounded to end the first half, and Senator Perry patted Bill on the arm before turning away. He looked up at me, our eyes locking for a significant moment before he leaned down and whispered something to his wife.

I took a deep breath as he started towards me.

"So," Bill sat next to me, "I just had the most interesting conversation with Carlton Perry."

"Paige is not having sex with Coach Dalton."

Bill's mouth dropped open. "I, um, I would hope not, but are you sure?"

"Yes, I am extremely sure."

"So the pictures he was telling me about?"

I gave him an explanation of the circumstances around Sandy taking Paige home.

"So they were together, alone. And you're not worried at all."

I took a deep breath. How much did I want to tell him? There was one other thing, though. "Bill, do you remember after you told me about Ashley, that you wanted a divorce?"

"Of course."

"We promised each other we'd never lie to each other when it concerned the kids?" He just nodded. "I swear to you, Sandra Dalton is not violating our daughter."

Bill's eyes were still troubled. "Melanie, it's not that I doubt you, but I think I need more than that. I am still Paige's father."

Damn it, I wasn't going to get out of this. I looked over at the Harrisons, and I really didn't want to do this around them, so I stood. "I'm going to go get a Coke. Walk with me?" He followed me down out of the bleachers, and I continued when we were out of earshot to anyone else. "Bill, if I were seeing someone, someone I trusted, and that Paige trusted, and they gave Paige a ride home from practice, would that bother you?"

"Probably not. What does that have to do with anything?"

I just looked at him, and after a long moment shocked comprehension dawned over his face. "You can't be serious."

"Why not?"

"Because you're not gay." He said it with absolute conviction, like somehow I'd forgotten. I wondered if he expected me to be, like 'Oh, shit, you're right. Dick's the best!' And honestly, it made me angry.

"I'm not, huh? First of all, Bill, it is none of your business anymore what I am. And secondly, how the hell would you know?"

"Is that, I mean, did you go out of town with her that time?"

"Yes, she'd been invited to a wedding, and she took her girlfriend, me. We stayed together, slept in the same bed, and had amazing sex." I watched his cheeks color under his beard, his hands fidgeting like they did when he was uncomfortable. "What? You get to leave me for someone, go directly from our bed to hers, and I just have to be miserable forever? Did you think I was pining for you every night?"

"No, of course not, but,"

"But nothing. Do you have any idea how hard it's been, going to bed alone every night, after being told by the person who promised to love me forever that I wasn't good enough anymore? How lonely I've been?" I kept my voice low, there were still people around after all, but I could feel ten years of repressed anger and pain seething behind every word. "And you, my mother, everyone made me think it was my fault. And then this incredible woman suddenly says that you were all wrong, that I am beautiful, and that she wants me. Even if I'd never looked at another woman in my life," I gave a bitter laugh, "which I assure you is not the case, it would have been very tempting."

I took a breath and looked back out to the field, where the team was starting to reemerge from the locker room. "As it is, I've always liked women. And I like that one a lot, so you better get used to her being around." I watched my girlfriend emerge from beneath the bleachers, her long, tight curls pulled back into its usual ponytail. Her arms were crossed under her breasts, her green eyes hard over her sharp, aquiline features.

As she passed in and amongst her players you could see her intensity infect each young woman. Paige had said it often, she was the type of coach who made you want to run through a wall for her, who made you be better than you thought you could. A lovely tingle built in my core as I watched her. Her eyes found me for just a moment, a bare hint of a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth for the briefest second. It made the heat inside me click up a notch, and I took a long, appreciative look at her firm backside underneath the black slacks she was wearing.

"So, well, shit." Bill's voice snapped me out of my reverie. I'd almost forgotten he was there. It took self-control, but I didn't laugh at his befuddled expression. I didn't feel any need to reassure Bill that I had loved and been attracted to him like I had when I'd talked with Paige. It was important to me she knew I'd loved her father. If he didn't know it, well, that was his own damn fault. "Do, um, Will and Charlie?"

"Yes, they all know, they've met her. Will's not thrilled with the idea, he thinks Anna's parents will make her break up with him if they knew."

"Would they?"

"Honestly, he'd know better than I would. I remember her mother asked me early on what church I attended, but that's been the extent of the religious conversations I've had with them."

"And that doesn't bother you?"

"Well, we don't plan on taking out billboards, but I won't let anyone's homophobia ruin a wonderful start to a relationship. What they choose to do is on them, not me."

"Does that anyone include your mother?"

Ouch, that hurt. "It has to. If I ever tell her."

We both chuckled. "Well, she won't hear it from me." Bill stood up. "I'll probably still talk to Paige about this, but if she says what you said, I'll consider it closed."

"I'll have Principal Harrison send you copies of the photos. You can look and see there's nothing there."

"I'd appreciate that." We nodded to each other, and he headed back toward Ashley while I bought my Diet Coke. When I climbed back up to my seat I looked over my shoulder at Renee Perry. I met the daggers coming from her with as icy a look as I could muster. I was not going to let my family or my new relationship be casualties in whatever petty war she had decided to wage.

I turned back toward the field and watched as Adrienne took the pass back, and the second half was underway.

*****

The team was jubilant as the final buzzer sounded. Paige had scored off a penalty corner in the first two minutes of the first half, but Broughton had tied the game with about five minutes left. In the past, the team would have deflated, but instead they kept going, pressing the attack even more. Shortly after, Adrienne made a gorgeous move, faking a shot and reversing the ball between her defender's legs. She'd pivoted, turning her stick over in her hands and smacking the ball just outside the reach of Broughton's wrong-footed goalie and inside the near post.

"See? If that woman had been letting her do that all season...!"

I tuned out Renee's ignorant comment. The only reason that move had even been possible was because Broughton's extremely stingy defense had been forced to respect Adrienne's passing ability.

But they'd won, and they were back in the playoffs for the first time in three years. Paige ran up to me and threw herself into my arms in the parking lot afterwards. "We did it!"

"Yes you did, sweetheart. That was great."

Her father appeared at my side, and accepted his hug as well. As Paige embraced her stepmother in turn I realized there was someone I didn't know standing close by.

"Hi, can I help you?"

"Hello, Mrs. Pierson? I'm Tyler Croft, a scout for the University of Virginia. I've been at Paige's last few games and I have to say we are very impressed. I'd love to talk to you and her about having her up for an official visit.

"Honey?" I waved Paige over, and she came with her dad. "This is Ms. Croft. She's from the University of Virginia."

Paige's eyes got big. "Hi."

Bill nodded. "Lady Cavaliers, huh?"

"Actually, we're just the Cavaliers. We all represent the same school. I'd like to invite you up to campus next weekend. The team is playing Wake Forest this weekend, and we'd love to have you and your family at the game, show you around campus."

"Really? That'd be amazing! Dad?"

Bill looked at me, and I shrugged. "It's your weekend, Bill. I'm all for it."

Paige had been spoken to by scouts after most of her recent games, but this was the first time she'd ever been formally invited to a campus. I looked around the parking lot, and several of the other girls were being talked to as well. Kaylin and her parents were talking to someone who appeared to be wearing a Wake Forest polo, and Adrienne was conversing with someone wearing Duke Blue.

Coach Dalton was standing by the team bus. I doubt anyone else could have done so, but I could see the pride beaming from her face. As Paige and Bill kept speaking to the Virginia scout I walked over to Sandy.

"Congratulations." I beamed at her.

She gave me a soft smile. "Thanks. A very satisfying end to a very long day."

"Yeah." There was something about the way her face was set that bothered me. "You okay?"

"Sure. Just," she let out a breath, "my brain is spinning. I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight." She looked at me softly, her voice suddenly soft and vulnerable. "I wish you didn't have the kids this weekend."

In an instant I made a decision. "So what if I do? Come over."

I saw the hope flicker in her eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I really was. Wow, what a feeling. "You're my girlfriend. We sleep together. It's okay that the kids know that."

I could see the smile pulling at the corners of her mouth, cracking her professional resolve. "God, I want to kiss you."

I moved away slowly. "Well, all the more reason for you to get the girls home. The faster you make it to my bedroom, the faster you can do just that."

She nodded, and even though we weren't touching I could feel the air crackling between us. Finally she broke the moment, turning away. "Paige! On the bus!"

"On it, Coach!" I saw Paige say goodbye to Tyler Croft before grabbing her dad's hands and grinning ear to ear for a second before running off. "Lady Panthers! On the bus!"

I gave Sandy one last smile and headed back to my car.

"I don't know what the hell you told Principal Harrison, but you know this isn't over."

I turned on my heel to face Renee Perry. "Why not? There is nothing going on between the Coach and my daughter."

She smirked at me. "You know how many other times I have her Jeep at your house? It's a lot, you know." She gave an evil, derogatory little laugh. "What is that sweet little girl of yours doing behind your back?"

"She's eighteen years old. I'm sure she's doing plenty behind my back. Adrienne probably is, too." I shrugged. "I know I was at that age."

"Well, Carlton has already talked to the Chief of Police and the District Attorney. You know it's illegal, right?"

"If it had happened, it would have been illegal, yes, I know. But it didn't happen. What's it gonna take to convince you of that?" I shook my head and started to turn away

"She's a dyke you know."

I stopped, looking back over my shoulder. "Excuse me?"

"Coach Dalton, the woman you're daughter so admires." She laced her voice with mocking contempt. "She's a dyke, a lesbian whatever you want to call it. Disgusting."

My heart was suddenly going a thousand miles an hour, but I kept my voice low and even. "How do you know that?"

"It wasn't hard. The P.I. I hired just tracked down some of her old friends and pretended he was a reporter for some internet fag rag. They probably even thought they were doing her a favor." Renee's smirk turned into an ugly frown. "Think about what she's teaching her team captain."

I stepped closer to Renee, anger flashing in my eyes. "The only thing she's taught my daughter is how to be an amazing hockey player. And I don't give a single, solitary fuck if Paige wants to date men or women or no one at all. I only care that she's happy and prepared to be an adult. And to that end she is lucky to have Sandra Dalton in her life. So is Adrienne, for that matter. At least your daughter has one positive role model."

With that I climbed into my van and slammed the door, my whole body humming with nervous anger. I started the engine and drove away, pausing at the edge of the parking lot to take a few deep breaths. I picked up Paige back at the school and let her drive home. I hadn't got a chance to talk to Sandy, but I couldn't wait to see her. Was I doing the wrong thing? Letting her come over for the night while the kids were home?

JCMcNeilly
JCMcNeilly
2,421 Followers