Born to Be Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her heart just felt so full looking at him, every moment she was with him made it feel like she'd never experienced any pain or sadness. Just nothing but love and happiness thanks to this one of a kind boy of hers.

She knew she was ready to do this...

Food came soon afterwards, which they all were grateful for, especially Selena and Ashley who'd worked up quite the appetite during that dance. Also Ashley hadn't eaten since lunch and it was just a sandwich.

He also was very thankful to find out that the preconception he had of rich people eating tiny meals that cost way too much was a rumor. They were brought out steaming hot chicken, steaks, fruit cocktails, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, the works. It smelled heavenly, and Ashley looked at the gourmet food with a drooling mouth and lustful eyes.

Everybody dug into their individual meals, selecting what they wanted at every table. Occasionally, one of Selena's other business friends would come over and say hello, introducing themselves to Ashley and wishing them both a happy holidays. And Selena was thankful to all of them of course, but at the same time she was getting a bit antsy. Her 'surprise had been nagging at her all day and she felt like it was going to burst out of her like a Xenomorph if she didn't get the ball rolling soon.

So after their amazing meal, Ashley leaned back in his seat, polishing off his last spoonful of chocolate fudge Sunday desert before dropping it into the margarita style glass. "Mmmmmmmh...that was so good..." His hand came down and rubbed his tummy content.

Selena smiled, "Yeah? Enjoy yourself sweetie?" Ashley nodded, looking over at Selena with those big brown orbs. The ones that always caught whatever light in the room there was, and used it to sparkle. All the love in the world seemed to just shine at her through those eyes. And that was the moment she knew she couldn't take waiting anymore. It was time. "Ashley, could I show you something?" She asked.

"Hmm?" He sat back up in his chair, "Show me what?"

"There's an amazing view out on the balcony, across the dance floor over there." She pointed behind her to the doors Ashley spotted earlier. "And it's getting late, I wanted to show you it before we have to head out. Who knows when we'll get a chance to be this close to the stars together again?"

"Maybe next Christmas?" Ashley offered cheekily, "Cause I'd love to come to one of these again." Smiling, he straightened himself out. His belly full and probably already getting that sweet, relaxed, post big meal feeling where you want to take a nap and give your body time to digest your food. "Yes of course. Let's see it."

"Great!" Selena said a little too excitedly, but she cleared her throat and stood up, reaching out to offer her hand and assist Ashley while they walked.

Ashley gently reached forward and took her hand, standing to his feet and again interlocking their arms as they walked across the floor. One soft step at a time, many of the other couples slowing down to a gentler dance. Or simply getting ready to go home themselves as it was now past eleven PM.

She could see the balcony, and even some of the stars from here already. Her heart already starting to pound, this was it...this was where she laid everything back out to him. He took a chance with her months ago, willing to change his whole life just to be with her, and now it was time for Selena to return the favor.

'You break my little boys heart, I will rip your tongue out and wrap it around your neck and-'

'Honey...deep breath.'

Selena could remember them, what they had to say when she brought this up. Their suggestions, their worries, their little bits of advice. The long conversation she had with Ashley's parents when he wasn't in the room. Back at his childhood home.

'I know...you haven't known me for very long at all. In fact, you're probably going to think I'm crazy for asking you this after only meeting me for one weekend.' Selena started, fiddling with her hands in front of her on the couch.

Both of Ashley's parents leaned forward on their couch, listening intently to what she had to say. 'Go ahead, we're listening.' His father stated, and Selena took a breath.

She inhaled the crisp, cold air from outside, pushing open the balcony door and stepping out onto the stone platform beneath them. "Come on honey, take a look. It's beautiful." She encouraged Ashley, still leading him by his hand to the outside. She looked up into the midnight blue sky above, and as she predicted, they were up high enough, and the sky was clear enough to show all the trillions of bright little glowing dots for them to feast their eyes upon.

Ashley stepped out beside her and looked up to the Heavens, his jaw slowly sinking down low. "Wow...." He whispered, and Selena was right, he'd never been this close to the stars and the moon before. It looked so big compared to all the other times he had seen it in his life! Bright, and glowing white to illuminate the balcony around them. Too many stars to count, blinking and twinkling at different times. Dazzling their viewers below in a star-spangled display of beauty unlike Ashley had ever seen. "Selena...oh my God...it's beautiful."

"I told you." She smiled, happy with herself while they walked to the edge, stopping at the handrail so they could lean over and gaze a little further away from the building at their backs.

'I...love your son...I love him so much. I know it's only been a few months but I'm telling you the whole truth when I say that he is the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.' Selena spilled her guts to Ashley's parents. Being as open and vulnerable as she had ever been, this was the main reason she wanted Ashley to reconnect with his parents.

She wanted to make sure if she was going to do this, she needed to do it the right way.

Despite them being very high up, there thankfully was very little wind breezing around them. So although it was chilly, there was no rush from either of them to go back inside. Giving the couple plenty of time to just stand there and hold each other for a good long while. A long, sweet, blissful silence remind the atmosphere between them, only broken when Selena managed to gather the absolute entirety of her courage. Swallow the nervous lump in her neck, and go for it.

"You know why I think these stars are so beautiful?" She asked suddenly.

"Hmm?" Ashley hummed in response, tilting his head up on her arm to look up at her.

She took this opportunity to turn and directly face him, the tiny Ashley, and the tall Selena face to face under the star blanketed sky. "Because I see them every time I look into your eyes."

'I promise you both, I will always love your son, and take care of him no matter what he needs. I just need him in my life, because I've never been this happy, and I don't think I can without him. Ashley truly is my soul mate.'

The Walkers both stared silently, letting Selena finish.

Ashley didn't reply verbally, he just stared into Selena's gaze, his face noticeably reacting as if he was silently 'awwing.' And to think not too long ago he was thinking this might be her attempt to get him alone and wreck him on the balcony. But this whole night she'd been so good to him, what exactly was she doing? Why was she being so lovey dovey?

"Ashley...I know you're the one for me." Selena started, a little tremble to her voice, she was about to let everything out. "In the six months we've been together...my life was changed. Because you're in it, I was...lonely. I was just drifting through everyday without any happiness in my life. I was a zombie without you, and then you walked into my office asking for a job." She smiled, reaching down and taking both of his hands into hers. "Not only did you make me smile, and make me happy, but...you learned about how...weird I am. Asking for things that no normal girl should really ask for." She mocked herself, "And you didn't run away. You stayed with me, you kept on loving me, and on top of that...you changed your whole lifestyle for me. You gave up so much, changed so much...just for me." Ashley could see Selena's eyes getting glassy, and immediately he felt a similar reaction occurring in his own. "If you were willing to change your whole life for me...then I want to return the favor to you..." She paused...and then began to sink down onto one knee. "By giving mine to you."

Ashley's jaw plummeted all twenty floors and created a crater in the cement on the ground.

'I want to ask your permission to marry your son...'

"Ashley Walker..." Selena reached into the back pocket of her jacket and produced a deep red colored box.

"S-s-Selena..." Ashley brought his hands up to his mouth, the tears unstoppable as his orbs went from glassy to waterworks in an instant.

"I knew from the moment I saw you...and every day I fall in love with you a little more..." She lifted the box up, and gently pulled apart the top and bottom of it. And after a glint from the light of the moon, he saw it.

A platinum band, with a row of sparkling diamonds on top, capped off with one fingertip sized diamond jewel in the center. Glittering to match the lights of the sky and of his dress.

"Will you marry me?"

The question actually made Ashley sob once, his eyes squinting so close to being shut that he almost couldn't see Selena. But the shining of the ring was still distinguishable in his vision.

She wanted to be with him for life, together forever. Not just a cutesy little saying that all honeymoon phase couples say. She was popping the question, proposing, asking for his hand, all of it! She wanted them to be each others one and only.

He couldn't manage words, he couldn't reply, he just stood there like a beauty pageant girl who just won first prize. Hands clasped tightly over his mouth as he choked back the tears of joy that couldn't stop coming.

And since he was unable to form the word yes, he did the next best thing he could until his ability to speak returned. And nodded his head, up and down, nodding over and over to convey what his answer was.

A tear shed down Selena's eye as well while she watched him nod, "Yes?"

Finally, after a lot of head nodding, Ashley pulled his hands from his face, aware that his makeup might be ruined. But that didn't matter, nothing else mattered except for this. "Yes!" His voice a squeaky croak that barely sounded like him, but it was enough.

Selena stood off the ground, taking the ring out of the box while Ashley offered his hand. And it slipped on like a perfect fit, sliding up his ring finger and settling into place.

Ashley was bawling, crying so happily as he watched it go on, now he understood everything about tonight. Selena...such a sneaky girl. He jumped into her arms and she hoisted Ashley up, spinning him on the balcony, under the moon and a million stars.

A couple, truly Born To Be together.

*****

A.N. Ah! Ah! He said it! He said the thing!

Lol, sorry, I love title dropping, you guys have probably already noticed in my other stories I do that.

But I hope you guys liked this, I'm a sucker for warm gooey love that gives you cavities from sweetness. And more is on the way! I shallst see you then!

Next Chapter: Our First Christmas