Brielle

Story Info
Escaping your demons isn't as easy as it seems.
30.9k words
4.75
62.1k
110
28
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sat in my car for over half an hour, staring at the wheel and refusing to look at the little house. Some people would be excited, some people would have told me to stop taking for granted that I was gifted the cute little cottage on the outskirts of the sleepy little east coast town. I wasn't angry that my ex father-in-law had given me the property, I was angry that I needed it.

Derrin and I had had an understanding for four long years. His parents were rich, he was gay, they wouldn't understand and I needed to go to college. It was a win win situation. We were married on paper, Derrin kept his activities with his 'accountant' a secret and I got a free education.

I hadn't worried about the details much, Derrin and I had been best friends since the third grade. He came out to me and me alone in the ninth grade. It wasn't like I had guys banging down my door for dates, so it seemed like a great idea at the time. A super idea.

When Derrin died unexpectedly in a car accident, with his boyfriend, it took several months for the details to emerge. Those details started with local cop Eric Outlaw. Yes. That was his real name. A cop named Outlaw. He thought the irony of it was vastly amusing. I found it less so.

Eric showed up at my house two weeks after the accident, I was still mourning my best friend. He was all kind smiles at first, but then his attention became... unwanted. He knew what I was, what I had been. A 'beard', so he said the term was. He assumed I was in it for the money, he didn't understand lifetime friendships.

The more I resisted his advances, the more details seemed to mysteriously emerge about Derrins death. The final straw was when there were whispers that the coroner's report detailed a mouth full of semen.

Of course Derrins family got wind of it and demanded to see the full report. That was how they found out their son was gay. That was how they found out that I had been covering for him since we were thirteen years old.

Officer Outlaw did not leave it at that. He kept coming around, harrassing me, trying to get me to let him take me out. I went to the other cops, told them he was harassing me. He told them I was exaggerating, that I was mad that Derrins parents had found out what he was and I wanted to punish him. After I was blown off by them, he came at me with all he had. He stalked me, held me captive in my home for weeks, too afraid to step out. He had vulgar items shipped to my house, sent me pictures of myself while I was changing clothes, proving he had wired my house.

I went to my ex in-laws. I had nowhere else to go. The foster home I had grown up in wasn't a real family to me, Derrin had been all I had. I told Manny, Derrins father, what was happening. That was when he had handed me the keys to the little house I was sitting in front of. It had been his grand-mothers and he had never sold it. He had fond memories of visiting it as a child, but he didn't want it to go to waste either. He wanted me to have it. Take care of it. Get away from the suburbia town outside of Chicago where the local police were assholes.

I went home, packed a single bag, cleared out my bank accounts and got on a plane. I even left my car at the airport. I took the rental car to the nearest car lot, got a cheap car with cash, and drove to the tiny town with the tiny house. I felt I had reason to be pissed. My life had just been overturned completely by a dick of a cop.

Finally, I peeled my hands off the steering wheel and looked at the house. It was cute, a sloping A frame facade of stone with extensions, all in dark slate blue and lighter stone accents. It was cute, very vintage. Even the yard with it's wrought iron fence was adorable. The cobblestone path to the front door actually made me smile.

I unlocked the door and was startled by a yell.

"HEY! What are you doing there?!?"

I turned to the old man across the street and down about thirty yards. "Uhh, hi. I guess I am your new neighbor?"

"Bullshit! You don't look like any Estevon I have ever known!"

"I am! I am Brielle Estevon. I was married to Derrin before he passed. Manny... uhh, Manuel gave me the keys, said I could stay here a while."

"Manny gave you those keys? What happened to his boy?"

"Car accident."

"Sorry for your loss. Sorry to trouble you. That your car? Can't leave it parked there, there's a driveway around the back when you turn on the side street there."

"Ok, thanks. I will move it in a minute, I wanted to look around."

"Ought to move it now, mail is due any moment and she throws a fuss!"

"Umm, sure. Thanks," I said, but I was frustrated. Great. I needed a persnickety old neighbor to make my life hell. I moved the car.

He was right, as I turned the corner and went down the steep hill, there was a driveway behind the house and I tucked the car into the little square surrounded by shored up walls. The backyard was taller than the driveway and it felt cramped and awkward as I got out. There was a door in the cinder block wall on the passenger side and I was curious. Was it a cellar, a shed? What? The key that unlocked the front door unlocked it as well. There was a long, dark, low hall. No light switch, no light. Nope.

I closed the door and locked it back up, then walked around to the front of the house. The neighbor was gone, at least from what I could see and the front door still unlocked. I went in and looked around. Empty. The room smelled old, very old, and musty. The hardwood floors looked original and the room felt odd. It took a moment to realize how low the ceilings were. That's right, the house was built before the codes determined ceiling heights. It didn't bother me. I wasn't tall by anyone's standards. That was the main reason no boys were ever knocking down my door throughout school and after. Hard to be sexy when you look like an eight year old boy.

I wandered to the kitchen and was happy to see it had been updated recently. The hardwood floor remained, but the appliances were gunmetal and the counters marble. It wasn't large, but it was nice. The dining room right off of it was a bit cramped. Maybe I would just put a bistro table in the corner of the kitchen? The bedroom was large, but after a second look, I realized a wall had been taken out and it used to be two rooms. There was no closet. Across the hall was a bathroom that had also been redone and a small room that had been turned into a walk-in closet. Well that would work.

I went back to the kitchen and looked in the little pantry and laundry room with the door that led to the backyard. There was another door and I opened it to stairs leading down. No lightswitch. Nope. I shut the door and locked the gate latch lock on it, then wedged the mop handle across it for good measure. I made sure the back door was locked, then went back out to my car. I would have to find a furniture store and a motel until I could get furniture delivered. I also need to go clothes and food shopping. Furniture first.

I had to go two towns over for furniture and clothes and one town over for food. It took the entire day to set it all up. It was dark before I got back to the little house to put food away, then I kicked myself because I hadn't asked anyone where a motel was. I'd parked in front of the house to unload groceries and the few clothes I got, and when I parked it around the side, there was a man walking a large wolfhound dog. I stared at the dog. I had only seen those on TV!

"Umm, excuse me," I said to the man, still staring at the dog, who was wagging not just its tail but it's whole hindquarters at me. "Do you know if there is a motel in town? Or close? Does he bite?"

"She's friendly, she likes chin scratches," the man said in an accent I couldn't place. I looked at him when he spoke, his voice was deep enough it demanded attention. He was tall, which meant he towered over me, and younger than I had assumed with that odd newsboy cap he was wearing. Along with the coat and scarf, I assumed he was an old man. He was maybe thirty, if that. It was so dark, I couldn't see distinct features, just a clean shaven jaw and a shine in his eyes. I knelt and pet the dog, letting her lick my face as I scratched her chin. "There's an inn in town, more like a bed and breakfast, but I think you'll be needin' reservations."

Was he scottish?!?

"Oh, I don't suppose you have a number?"

"Not on me, girl. Not sure they allow children anyway. Your family just move into the old Estevon place?"

"Oh, no sir," I said standing. "I mean yes, I did, but I am not... Umm. I mean, I moved here alone. I'm twenty four. I'm Brielle Estevon."

"Forgive me miss, you aren't looking much like an Estevon, or like a miss."

"No, yeah, I get that a lot. Comes with the height. But yeah, I was married to Dillen Estevon, Manny's son?"

"The grandson?"

"Yeah."

"You were married? Not any more?"

"He passed. Car accident."

"Sorry for your loss, miss."

"Thanks."

"If you'd like to step over, I could find you that number, it'd be in the book."

"Like, phone book? People still have those? Umm, it's fine. What's the name of it? I can just google it."

"Google it. Right. I forget you folks with your queer ways."

"Queer ways?" I asked, immediately offended.

"Strange. Off. Unusual. Always googling and snapping and texting and whatnot."

Now he DID sound old.

"Umm. Sorry. I'll let you get back to your walk." (Boomer) I thought the word but didn't say it as I stepped back and pulled out my phone.

"It was nice meetin' ya miss. I am Keane Riordan, I live there down the hill. Step in if you need anything. Let's go Lia," he said, tugging on the dogs leash. I watched him walk away.

I turned back to my phone and of course there was no signal. It was going to be a long night.

I laid on my new couch as soon as the movers set it down. My eyelids were sandpaper and I was so tired. I didn't sleep, but I also didn't open my eyes as the movers traipsed through my house, hauling in furniture.

"H'lo?"

I recognized the old mans voice. "Here," I called, still not opening my eyes.

"This is a lot of stuff for this little house, don't you think young lady?" he demanded.

I sighed and sat up, opening my eyes. "Doesn't seem like too much, the place was empty. Sorry, I didn't get your name yesterday."

"Everett. Donald Everett. Gladdys and I have lived here goin' on sixty years! Just me now, lost her four years back, but I'm still goin' strong. Shame when Alejandra passed. She was a helluva fuck in the day."

I choked on nothing.

"Gladdys never thought much of her, but she was more of an ass girl and Ally had the tits, you know? I liked the tits. Gladdys prefered Lena up the street, but we never could talk her into comin' around for a poke. Got Sherry in our bed a few times, but she was a taker, not a giver. Those are never fun. What about you, which way do you swing?"

"Umm, I don't, actually. At all."

"Shame, I guess. Y'aint more than a mouthful anyway, doubt you could keep up. You listen, don't you go fillin' this nice home with a bunch of new shit! It's not meant to be so full, it needs space!"

"Uhh.. sure. Got it. I'll let you see yourself out," I said, gesturing at the door. One of the movers was paused in the hallway, watching the old man warily, like he was afraid he was going to have to show him out.

Donald left with a harumph and the mover walked passed, raising his eyebrows at me. When he came back through, he grinned. "I do not envy you and your new neighbor! He is a card!"

Horrified, I went and looked out the window. Donald was standing at the edge of his property, watching the movers with his pants around his ankles, stroking himself.

I groaned and I could hear the mover laughing in the kitchen.

"What do I do?" I asked loudly. "Call the cops?"

"I mean, I don't know. Your call. If it was my place, I would, but I have three kids. If I lived alone? I wouldn't care, I would just shut the curtains and let him live out his remaining days in peace. I mean, if he barges in here and starts pointing that thing at you? Definitely call the cops. I don't know. Maybe let them know?"

I picked up my phone, then froze. No. If I called the cops, they would want my name. My name would show up in some cop database and Eric would find me. Just like that. Fuck. I guess the old man got to stroke himself until someone else called the cops on him. I closed my curtain tightly and went back to the couch.

"Where do you want the desk?" another mover asked.

"Dining room. All the office stuff in the dining room."

Once the movers were gone, I locked myself in the little house and began trying to make sense of all the boxes full of parts. I'd never had to build shelves from pre-assembled pieces before, or other furniture. With an exhausted huff, I threw myself on the bed, deciding I needed a nap in order to function.

The nap lasted a bit longer than I intended, I woke with a start in the dark. It was ridiculously quiet in the house. I got up and turned on the light, looking around at the scattered pieces of nightstand next to the bed. The living room had boxes of end tables, a coffee table, entertainment center, shelves and more. The office had more shelves, a desk and the extra furniture for my bedroom. All of it had to be built. What kind of furniture store sold mostly furniture you had to build yourself? It was ridiculous. I should have found a place with wifi and ordered some online, but that was the problem with cash.

It was overwhelming and the house was hot as hell. I turned down the heater which had somehow found its way up to 88 degrees and opened the front door. I was walking out on the lawn before I remembered my crazy neighbor. There was no sign of Donald. Thank god.

I laid down in the grass and looked up at the stars, silently asking them what the fuck I did to deserve this.

A shadow blotted out the stars and a warm splat landed on my face. I giggled and sat up, petting Lia and wiping slobber off my face.

"She's taken a likin' to ya miss," Keane offered from the side of the road.

"She's a sweetheart."

"Getting yourself all sorted?"

"Umm?"

"Moved in and such?"

"Oh, yeah, I guess. I guess it would be easier if I were handier with tools."

"Old homes needs lots of fixin I s'pose."

"Oh, yeah. Not like that. The new furniture. It doesn't come assembled."

"Oh, well that's easy. You take Lia for a walk and I will build your table or what have you."

"If it was just a table, I would take you up on it. Unfortunately there are a full dozen boxes in there."

"You need that much furniture for that little house?"

"Well, it's not so much really," I said defensively. I was starting to feel weird about how much furniture I had now that both neighbors I knew had said something.

"Let's have a look then," he said, marching to the open door. I followed, a little alarmed. "This one of'm then? What's this?"

"Entertainment center?"

"What's it do once it's built?"

"What?"

"How does it entertain you?"

I laughed and he turned to look down at me. My breath caught. Holy hot fucking neighbor. Keane was beautiful. His thick, curly black hair caressed his sculpted cheekbones like a wet dream. His sapphire blue eyes looked like something off the cover of a romance novel. He was pale, but it totally worked for him. He was gorgeous. Coupled with that deep voice and irish accent, I could feel my panties getting wet.

"Umm... uhh... you were joking, right?"

"How does it entertain you? What does it do?"

"Umm, it holds things... umm, you know, like a television, game consoles, dvd players... that kind of stuff?"

"I see. Well this isn't important, save it for last. What about this? Bookshelf. Well that's something I s'pose. You read. Coffee table. Coffee table? A table just for coffee?"

"Uhh, no... I mean, it just sits in front of the couch and chairs in case someone needs to set something on it..."

"Hah, got you there, that WAS a joke. I know what a bloody coffee table is miss. Let's see what else you have. Lia, stay."

He wandered to my bedroom and I followed him, my libido leading the way.

"Nightstands. Two. There two of you livin' here?"

"Uhhh... no. Just, symmetry, you know?"

"Symmetry. Right. Here. This is what you should do first. A dresser for your clothes. Where are your clothes?"

"Closet across the hall."

"Right. So you need this here or there or not at all?"

"Umm..."

"Right. So, which do you think you will be needin first?"

"Uhh... well... probably the desk? For my computer?"

"Right, the fuckin' googling. Lead the way then. How old did you say you were?"

"Twenty four," I answered, glancing back at him. He was having to hunch in the hallway, the ceiling was so short.

"And your name was Brianne was it?"

"Brielle."

"Brielle. Never heard that. It's a bit pretty, isn't it? This the desk then? Doesn't look so hard. That the computer there in that box?"

"That's a printer. This is the laptop here, it's my computer."

"That small little thing? All right then miss. You take Lia for her walk and I will build your desk for you."

"Umm, are you sure? And.. how far is her walk? And can I trust you here alone with my stuff?"

"You'll have my dog. All of your stuff combined wouldn't be worth my dog. No offense. Just two blocks. Avoid the old Everett place. The man's a loon."

I laughed and nodded. That I could agree with. "Alright Lia, let's take a walk," I said brightly, picking up her leash. I walked her three blocks, just to give Keane enough time, even so he wasn't halfway finished by the time we got back.

"There ya are. I was afraid ya got lost. Yes lovely girl, I missed ya too. Go sit down now."

"If you need to go or something, don't feel obligated to stay."

"Nowhere to be luv, it's fine. Only one I answer to is Lia, right old girl? That little gadget of yours chirped while you were gone."

"My phone? I can't believe I left it here!" I laughed as I picked it up. I hit the text icon that was lit up.

E. Outlaw - I guess you gave me the slip babe. Game's not over yet though, is it?

I stared at the text, my blood going cold.

"You alright miss? Miss??"

"What?" I asked, pulling away from his hand on my shoulder. "Fine. I'm fine. I'm sorry. Oh, you finished? How did you finish so fast, you weren't halfway done?"

"Miss, you stared at that gadget the last half hour. I tried calling you, but you just started shakin' like a leaf. You sure you're alright?"

"Umm, yeah. Just nerves. New place. You know."

"Sure. I s'pose I do. I'll start on that shelf now, unless you are needin' some sleep miss?"

"Oh, you don't have to do that!"

"I don't mind. It gives me something to do. So you were married to the grandson. How long?"

"Four years? He died last year."

"You moved here for a different reason though, didn't ya?"

"Umm. We all have different reasons for different things," I said lightly, watching him sort the pieces of the shelf. I sat on the floor to pretend to help him.

"Your reasons scare ya though."

"I'm just a long way from home, from what I am used to."

"If that's how you want it, I'll stop pryin'."

"What about you? You live alone?"

"Yes. I had a wife when I was younger, but I lost her to illness along with my infant son."

"I'm so sorry!"

"It was long ago."

"How old were you?"

"I was nineteen, she was eighteen. Patrick was only a week old."

"You never remarried?"

"I worked, worked my pain away until it was gone, then I kept workin'. Next I know it's now and work is all there ever was."

"How old are you?"

"Not a day over twenty nine, but I feel closer to ninety nine most days. The world wears on ya. This one is much more simple than t'other. Don't see many books to fill it with though?"

"No, not yet. I left all of mine behind... I will have to get more."

123456...9