Brielle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ugh. Way to come off desperate. Let him think I wasn't waiting around for him. Let him think he had misread me.

I was entirely too pleased to see him walking Lia up the street when I pulled into my little driveway. I climbed out and tried to control my smile as I turned to him as he leaned on the cinder block wall.

"Ya' needin' a hand luv?" he asked, motioning to the car.

I hesitated, then shrugged. "Sure, if you don't mind," I answered, grabbing the bag of food and the cobbler. "Those bags are heavy, they have books."

I walked to the front, not looking to see if he followed or not, acting like I didn't really care. I cared. I was tense walking to my kitchen to set the bags on the table. I heard him in the living room, setting the bags down and I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding.

"What are these then?" he called.

I poked my head out to see what he was talking about. He had one of the bags upended, looking at books. "Books," I answered, then went back to the kitchen.

"Well that settles that mystery then. What sorts of books?" he asked. I heard him upend the other bag.

"Try not to make too big a mess! There's a mix. That first bag was mostly epic fantasy. The other has some technical manuals I need for a few things."

"These look very boring. You takin these to bed with you then?"

"Yes, they are for work," I answered, unable to suppress the grin.

"Ya still needin' help with the furniture or did ya get it sorted luv?"

"I haven't touched it, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the time change I thing, I can't sleep well. You hungry? I have enough for two."

"Were you expectin' me then?"

"Actually, I thought some leftovers in my fridge would save me from having to cook tomorrow, but I don't mind. Pull up a chair."

"What is it?"

"Beef and broccoli. Chinese food?" I offered when he wrinkled his nose. "You don't like chinese food?"

"Dunno. It smells a bit off. Is it s'posed to smell that way?"

"Umm. It smells good to me? Try some."

I filled my plate and climbed into my chair, then dug in. He watched me warily before he finally tried a bite. He made a face. "Edible, I guess, but not somethin' I'd be choosin' for m'self."

"Well you don't have to eat it. I have peach cobbler too."

"See, now there's somethin' I can get behind. Are you certain this is beef?"

"Pretty sure. Tastes right to me. It's not the best I have ever had, but for a small town place it's decent. You've really never had chinese food?"

"Never had the opportunity till now. Can't say as I am a fan. Look. Lia won't even eat that, I don't think it's beef."

I laughed, watching Lia turn her head away. "Picky picky," I teased, shoveling another mouthful to my mouth.

"Have any of that meat pie from last night?"

"Sure, it's in the fridge. Microwave is right there."

"Microwave," he scoffed. "I can use the oven."

"Microwave is a lot faster and it doesn't have to preheat. Or heat up the house more. Goddamnit!" I cursed, hopping down and going to the thermostat. 88. What the hell?!? I turned it off again, angry now.

"Everythin' good luv?" he asked, appearing at the top of the hall.

"The heater is broke. It keeps turning itself on and heating the house up to almost ninety."

"I thought you must have poor circulation and liked it hot. Have you had a look at the furnace? Is it in the basement?"

"I haven't been in the basement," I answered, heading back to my food.

"No? You move into a new house and don't even peek into one of the rooms? What if it's full of gold bars?"

"Then it still won't be worth the creep factor."

"The what?"

"The microwave, seriously, it's already too hot in here. Move, I will do it. Do you not own a microwave?"

"Absolutely not!"

I looked at him, both amused and confused. He sounded so offended! "They are super convenient. Why the disdain?"

"Just not keen on change. I like things simple, not too much clutter."

"Yeah, that's a running theme around here. See? Already done. Nice and hot," I said, handing him the plate.

He scowled at it.

"It's not going to bite you. Do I need to serve it to you at the table? You weren't so picky last night."

He took the plate grudgingly and sat back down.

"There's wine left if you want it," I said, grabbing myself a bottle of water.

"Now that is a bloody useless waste," he said, gesturing to my water.

I rolled my eyes. "Ok boomer," I teased.

"What's that s'posed to mean?"

"Nothing. Do you want the wine or do you want water? Or I have milk?"

"Milk, if you don't mind," he said, moving the food on his plate with his fork.

"Well you seem to be in a great mood tonight," I said, a bit annoyed,as I got him a glass of milk.

"My apologies luv, you are right. I should be thankin' you instead of complainin'." As if to prove his point, he forced himself to take a bite of the lasagna.

We finished eating in silence. I felt a little anxious at his subdued and cold demeanor. I set my plate in the sink and pulled out two desert plates, dishing out the cobbler. It cheered him up a bit, he offered a smile when I handed him the plate.

"So you needin' a bit o' help with the furniture this evenin'?"

"You don't have to, but you can if you want. I can walk Lia for you again."

"She's been walked. I may've been dawdlin' a bit to see if you'd be gone long."

"You waited around for me?" I asked, unable to stop the smile that tugged at my lips.

"That can't surprise you much, luv," he answered, his voice low. He looked up from his plate and his look was... hungry. My stomach clenched and my pulse sped up.

If he kept looking at me like that, I wouldn't even be able to put up a token resistance. Resistance hell, I would probably climb into his sexy ass lap and attack him!

I let out a shaky breath and looked away before my own thoughts gave me away. "Well," I said shakily, "then I guess I can try and help. Keep Lia company while we watch. Something equally as useless while you work."

"Company isn't as useless as you'd imagine. What all do you have left?"

"Umm. Everything. I was serious when I said I've had trouble sleeping. My hours are all skewed. I'd thought to try and do a bit today, but I slept most of the day after not sleeping last night."

"Bad dreams luv?"

"Umm... anyway, how's the cobbler?"

"Decent. Had better. It's a treat though, thanks for that. Do you ever make your own cobblers?"

"I never have, but I'm not averse to trying. You have a tried and true recipe?"

"Not m'self. Just rememberin' homemade and havin' fond memories. Let's see what need's doin' then luv."

I followed him to the living room and began putting books away while he opened another box. I watched him work without trying to be too obvious. Soon, I was sweating with the mild exertion and the heat my body was producing. I paused, the scowled. I stormed down the hall. "What the fuck?!?" I yelled as I turned the heat down and off again.

"Now there's a pretty word for a pretty girl," he said with an amused laugh.

"Yeah, whatever," I grumped. "You know anyone who fixes furnaces?"

"I can take a look."

"Is there anything you can't do?"

"Oh, plenty luv. May not be able to help with the furnace if it's too new."

"You are really anti-tech for someone as young as you are."

"Wasn't raised with it. Should I go take a look?"

"Umm. I don't have a flashlight. I'll have to get one at the store tomorrow."

"So I get to come by tomorrow as well?" he grinned.

I felt my face heat as I returned the smile. "I'll try to avoid bringing home chinese food."

"If you take requests, I like shepherds pie."

"What is that?"

"Shepherds pie? You've never had shepherds pie?" Now it was his turn to look incredulous. "Girl, you're breakin' my heart!"

I laughed and waved a dismissive hand. "I can google it," I said, bemused.

"Fuckin google. Google won't know the right way to make a true pie. I will give you a list and I will show you m'self!"

"That sounds like a more than fair trade," I said, still grinning.

"I s'pose we shall see. I may not finish the rest of these tonight if you keep distractin' me," he smirked as he went back to the shelf he was building.

"So what do you during the day?" I asked, following him and curling up on the couch. Lia immediately joined me.

"Lia, you spoilt girl! Get down off her sofa!"

Lia gave him a resentful stare and didn't move. "She is keeping me company!" I said defensively, hugging the snuggly old dog. "I don't mind at all."

"You like animals then? Why don't ya' have your own?"

"Maybe I will," I said thoughtfully, looking around. "The backyard is fenced. Why not? Is there an animal shelter near here?"

"That I do not know. I'm sure you could google it," he said, saying 'google' in a disgusted way. I laughed, a pure from the belly laugh. "You should laugh more often luv. A smile suits your face."

I felt myself blushing again. Was that a compliment? Should I say thank you? Did he mean my face without a smile wasn't pleasant? I decided to change the subject. "Do you call me that because you can't remember my name?"

He grinned at the shelf, not looking up. "Is that what you're thinkin' Brielle? No. I call you that for another reason entirely. Does it bother you then?" he asked, the teasing obvious in his tone. He knew very well that it thrilled me every time he said it.

"I was just curious," I answered, feeling the heat flush through me again, lingering between my legs. "So what do you do during the day? I've only seen you around after dark?"

"Yes, I do keep myself busy until the sun is down," he said distractedly, concentrating on his work. "Have you been watchin' for me? Wondrin'?"

"I'm making polite conversation," I answered, looking away. So what if I had looked out the window a few times to the house he had indicated was his? I didn't stand and spy on him. Not really. I was surveying my backyard. Looking at the view. His house happened to be within the purview of my view. That's all. It was completely natural that I noticed the house was dark and quiet all day and there was no car in the little driveway.

"Of course Mo Shíorghrá. This one is done then. So the books you brought home, you read them? Do they have passion in them, or is it all just to look deas?"

"Deas? And what did you call me?"

"Deas... nice to look upon. Pretty."

"Oh, no, I like to read them, and no, they aren't romance books. More like magic and dragons and epic adventure."

"You have no want for passion then?"

"Sure I do... It's just not what I enjoy reading... So are you going to tell me what the other thing is? The thing you called me?"

"Mo Shíorghrá?"

"Muh-heargraw?"

He laughed out loud at my pronunciation. "Close. It means... it is just a fancy way to say 'luv'."

He was blushing and I knew he had just lied to me. He did not want to admit what the term meant! Was it good or bad? "I can google it you know."

"Fuckin' google," he chuckled. "You'd have to spell it first luv."

"It's not spelled like it sounds?"

"Not even remotely. What is left in your bedroom?"

"Several things," I answered distractedly, trying to enter the phrase in my phone. I hit enter and watched the little circle spin.

"So the fuckin' google, it is telling you?"

I smiled, watching my phone, waiting for it to load. "The google doesn't seem to have an answer. Or I am not getting signal again."

"Doubt you'll be clearin' that up any time soon luv. Let's go see what is left."

I followed him to the bedroom, watching my phone and the stupid circle spin. Lia followed me and climbed into my bed with me.

"You have a tussle in here last night?" he asked lightly, taking in the state of my bed.

"Ummm," I said looking around, mortified. I couldn't very well say, 'no, I masturbated until I passed out'. I wracked my brain, freezing up. Thankfully, my phone saved me by chirping. Cricket chirp meant I had a text. I hurriedly opened it, looking for any distraction to stall for time to think of an explanation.

E. Outlaw - Sweet dreams babe. Love the little cottage.

All the air left my body and my limbs locked up. I stared at the message and tried to think, tried to reason. Was he here? He couldn't be here. There is no way he could have found me. Not this quickly. How did he know?

"BRIELLE!" Keane yelled in my face, shaking my shoulders. I looked up at him numbly, still horrified. "Mo Shíorghrá what's happened? What's the little gadget tell'n you?"

"I... it... It's Eric. He knows where I am!"

"Eric? That the name of the twat?"

"Yes.. the cop. The one... the one that... he found me? I don't know how he found me?"

"Probably the fuckin' google luv."

Google. Of course. If he somehow found out my address, all he had to do was look on google maps and he can see my house from anywhere. Of course. He wasn't here. But he knew where I was. How did he know?

"Shit! God damn Sheriff Last! Why did I give him my name? Stupid stupid stupid! He looked me up! He put me in the goddamn system! Shit!"

"Easy luv. The twat won't be comin' all the way out here to give you a bit of grief."

"You don't know him!"

"So call this Sheriff and tell him. And it's not like I won't be around luv. He won't be botherin' ya'. Slow your breathin' a bit luv, don't go gettin' all faint on me. Ya' aint got a phone I know how to use so there'd be no callin' for help. Best I could do is a cold glass of water on your face. There now. That's better luv. Look at me Mo Shíorghrá. He won't be showin' his face round here. You call that Sheriff right off in the mornin' and tell'm everythin'. He may be a twat himself, but he is likely to help just the same. You still look scared luv. Do I need to kiss a bit of sense into ya'?"

I laughed then, a shocked and incredulous laugh. His jest did what he meant it to do, it pulled me out of my own head and back to where I was. In my bed, his hands holding my arms, looking down at me. Wow, his eyes were so blue. His lips, just shy of too full looked completely kissable. He raised an eyebrow and grinned.

"That is lookin' like a yes to me luv," he smirked, looking down at my lips.

I held my breath expectantly, sure he was about to kiss me. Instead he stood and let me go gently, still smiling. Ummm... I was pretty sure I had given a very clear signal, hadn't I? He was going to try and make me make the first move. I watched him go back to his work, a small smile on his smug face. I'd be damned if I'd play his game. I scooted back on my bed and scratched Lia under her chin. After a minute, I rolled to the other side and slid open the window to get a breeze. When I realized I was getting hot again, I scrambled across the bed to go to the hall and the thermostat.

88 degrees. Ok. I was done. I went back to the room. "Do you have duct tape at your house? I am going to tape that thing in the off position and tape the temperature down to 58. I am done playing with it."

He looked up at me, his eyebrows climbing. "Is it on again then?"

"Yes! It's possessed! Wait. Do you think it is possessed? Like, Alejandra maybe?"

"You mean like a spirit luv? Don't tell me you believe in such things?"

"I mean, I don't, not really, but what if?"

"I think if she were still here she'd have better things to do that make you hot," he teased.

'Yeah, that's all on you,' I said in my head. He was making me hot, very hot in places I didn't even want to think about right now. Damn him. Why did he have to look so sexy sitting there in my bedroom floor. Almost, I wanted to offer to let him take off his shirt since it was so hot. If I knew he wouldn't just laugh at me, I might. It occurred to me then, what if he thought of me like a kid sister? Or just a kid with a crush? He was trying to help his lady neighbor and I was trying to trip him into my bed, and he was just trying to joke around it, pretending he didn't realize what I wanted because he wasn't interested? I felt a bit sick at that thought. Maybe he didn't want me to make the first move at all. Maybe he was just actually being neighborly and I was reading too much into it? I felt on the verge of panicking again, thinking of how much of an ass I have made of myself. At least I hadn't tried to dress up tonight. He probably thought I had looked like a kid playing in her moms closet. UGH. Why would a big, sexy older hunk like him have any interest in a girl who looked like an 8 year old boy? Of course he wasn't interested.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, feeling tense. Lia laid her head in my lap and I squeezed her and scratched her ears absently.

"I don't have what you asked for, but I do have a flashlight. I can get it and have a look if ya like," he said standing. "That's another one done just three more now. Should I grab it?"

"Ummm. Not tonight. Honestly? The basement gives me the heebie jeebies."

"The what?"

"It scares me. Makes me nervous. It's old and dark and just... creepy."

"It's just a room luv, but if you like I can look tomorrow. I don't mind an excuse to come back. Not that I need one if I am showin' you how to make shepherd's pie."

I managed a smile, but my heart wasn't in it. I hated not knowing, trying to guess, the stupid games and anxiety that came with feeling other people out. I had never been what anyone would call a social butterfly. I was an introvert. That was the whole reason Dillen and I had become friends.

Dillen was gorgeous. He had always been beautiful, even as a child. Girls chased him and followed him around the playground, doing what little girls do. Boys bullied him because he didn't play sports and he was so pretty. He walked up to me one day and told me I was his new best friend. I asked him why and he said it was because I didn't want to be his girlfriend and I would kiss him or hit him. I never told him that I would have loved to be his girlfriend, I was just too shy to say so, or chase him like the other girls had. That was how I made my first and only friend. The friend thing, the dating thing, the flirting thing, it was all new to me. Eric Outlaw did not count, he was just a creep. Eric. Would he come down here? Maybe I should call the sheriff, I had his card. Would he be an ass about it? Probably. Did I care as long as he did his job? Not really.

"You're lookin' a bit peaked again luv. Y'aint thinkin' on that twat again are ya'?"

"Ummm..."

"Why don't you come down here by me and tell me a bit about where ya grew up?"

I moved slowly, warily. Was he cajoling a child? Being friendly? Or was it flirting? How did you tell? Damnit. I sat against the wall where I could watch him work, but I wasn't in the way. "Not much to tell. I moved a lot, I was a foster kid."

"That your maiden name? Foster?"

"Uhh... no. You don't know what foster kid is?"

"It's not a kid named Foster? That seems like the most likely answer."

"No. Foster, as in fostered, like foster care. For kids without parents."

"Like an orphanage?"

"Ummm... I don't think they have orphanages in Chicago... they have foster parents. People who open their homes to kids with no parents. That's what it's supposed to be anyway. Nice people who want to help. Usually it's people who want the extra money the state gives them to do it. Some kids get good homes, some kids don't. I got a mix. No one real bad. Worst one was a lady who sent me back after she got a boyfriend and she said she caught him looking at me too much. The family I ended with, they were nice, mostly. They fostered four kids plus their own. They did it for the money, but they were still nice mostly. Mostly indifferent. What about you?"

"I grew up with my family till we moved ourselves across the ocean. We had a simple life, poor, but we were happy enough. We had what we needed."

"Where are they now?"

"I'm all that's left."

123456...9