Caleb 33 - Tough Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked up at me, his eyes wet with unshed tears.

"Bhaiya," he said. "Please, don't do this."

"Would you rather me Compel you to share?" I asked. "You know I could."

"You wouldn't," he said. "I know that much about you."

"No," I said. "You need to do it willingly. For love. For the love of your wife, who loves you so much she is willing - no not willing, desperate for you to share. I couldn't look her in the eye and refuse to help her."

I opened the study door. He didn't move. I poked my head into the living room, where the girls, Yasmin, Callum, and Meena were sitting, talking.

"It is time for us to be going," I said. "Thank you so much for your hospitality."

The girls all stood. Yasmin and her boyfriend stayed where they were, but Meena came to me.

"You spoke to him?"

"I did," I said. "He is thinking. If we don't see each other again, then it was a pleasure meeting you."

Her eyes widened. "What did you do?" she asked.

"Go talk to your husband," I said. "Make him listen; make him understand. I have done all I can."

She looked up at me, worry in her eyes, and then she nodded. She led us to the door, and we were just about to leave when Jeevan emerged from the study.

"Bhaiya," he said. "I need your help."

I turned to face him.

"With?" I asked.

"There is a young girl..."

I held up my hand. "I do not wish to hear it," I said. "If you want me to help you, then you know what you have to do."

"But the girl..."

"Is in your hands," I said. "You might have the means to help her. Will you pay the price?"

Meena looked at me "Caleb I didn't mean..."

I interrupted her too. "No Bhabhi," I said. "He is being stupid and stubborn. He is thinking of only one young girl - of today. What is going to happen to all the young girls and boys who suffer when he is no longer around to help, because of his stubbornness?"

"I understand," I said to him gently. "I really do. I had the same thought, and fears. I know my girls being Empaths helps me, but two of them aren't. Do you think I love my girls any less than you love your wife? You grew up with your powers. You knew about this. I was brought up as a Norm. I, too, had to learn about it. At least you know that Meena isn't going to be sharing. I had to come to terms with the fact that some of my girls needed to share just as much as I do."

He looked down, and then at Meena.

"I am so sorry," he said. "I failed you."

"How is it that you failed me?" she asked.

"I tried to be a good husband," he replied, "to be faithful and kind. But all I am doing is hurting you."

"You are hurting yourself," she said, "and that is what hurts. Knowing that I am the cause of it hurts me more."

"But..." he started, but she interrupted.

"I know that you love me. I know that for twenty-five years you have suffered - feeling the pain of not doing what you need to do. Look at what it is doing to you. How much longer do you think you have to suffer to prove your love? Do you think I want you to literally sacrifice your life for me? Caleb has shown me the way. I know now what must be done. Tomorrow morning, I will be going to see a lawyer. I cannot bear to see you slowly kill yourself on my behalf. I want a divorce."

I rocked back on my heels.

"Now wait a minute..." I said. I expected Jeevan to blow up - to attack me. I had come over for dinner and ruined his marriage.

"Has it come to that?" asked Jeevan softly. "Does it mean that much to you, that you would end our marriage?" He smiled a little. "It would be interesting to see the divorce petition. I am divorcing him because he won't sleep with other people."

"Jeevan, please," she said. "I don't want to lose you. Please!"

Sighing, he looked at his wife, and then at me. "You are giving me nowhere to turn. Either I agree, or I lose everything that is precious to me. Not only that, but an innocent suffers."

"Then you will do it?" his wife asked, hope in her tone and in her face.

He nodded sadly. "If I must do so to keep my wife - my family - then I will."

Meena threw her arms around him, "Thank you," she sobbed into his chest. "Thank you, thank you."

He looked up and his eyes met mine. "I think you have just had your first lesson in Healing," he said. "Persuading a reluctant patient to accept treatment. I am not sure it's a technique I would advocate for everyone, but it was effective in this case."

"I would say I am sorry," I said to him, "but I don't want to lie to my mentor. That is, if you still want me as a student."

"Bhaiya," he said, smiling, "there is nothing I would like more than to have you as my student, as my friend, and as my brother.

"Tonight, you - both of you," he said, indicating myself and Meena, "have shown me what true love is."

Still holding Meena against him with one arm, he reached out with the other and pulled me to him. I felt Meena's arm move, and soon we were in a three-way hug. I looked down and saw her looking up at me.

"Thank you," she said, tears still running down her cheeks. I smiled at her.

"Can I come by yours tomorrow night?" he asked me as we separated. "I would like to see what is happening with you four now that the bond is gone."

"You should both come for dinner," I said. "I am nowhere near as good a cook as Meena, but I make do."

"Perhaps I could teach you?" she said.

"That would be wonderful," I said. "Send me a list of ingredients, and I'll make sure I have everything we need. If there's any special equipment, then that too."

She smiled. "We'll make do with what you have," she said.

"Oh, so you can do it all in a microwave?" I said, looking innocent. Meena, startled, looked at Jeevan.

"I thought you said..."

Jeevan laughed.

"He is teasing," he said. "You will have to get used to his sense of humor."

Meena turned to me and flapped at my arm gently. "Bad boy," she said.

I smiled at her. "Do you like other cuisine than Indian?" I asked. "Maybe I could show you what I can do first, and then you can see what you have to work with."

"I like all kinds of things," she said. "I don't like Mexican. The spices are too harsh for my palate. I like Italian, and good old American food. I don't eat curry every day." She smiled at me.

"Then let's go Italian," I said. "I can do that. Then maybe another day we can collaborate on something. I am thinking that our two families are going to be seeing a lot of each other."

"Not two families, Bhaiya," said Jeevan. "Just one."

"I think it's time we left," I said, "unless you wanted to take the twins up on their offer posthaste?"

Jeevan smiled. "That is so tempting," he said, "and I thank you for it." He bowed slightly to the twins. "I will make other arrangements. I promise it will be done, as often as is required. I have learned my lesson."

"Then we'll get out of your way," I said, "and let you finish apologizing to your wife." He smiled at me again.

"Tomorrow about seven?" I asked as we walked down the steps. "Will Yasmin and Callum be with you?"

Jeevan shook his head. "They will be 'doing their own thing,'" he said. "That is apparently very important to young people these days."

I laughed. "It is," I said. "We will see you both tomorrow at seven."