Call of the Dove

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,084 Followers

"I'm sorry to report that all foreign nationals were killed and their bodies removed to Holliman Air Force Base for further investigation. This is now an OSI matter."

"Bullshit, this is my county," Bill yelled.

"Echo one, Air One arriving." Bill heard the radio call and his head jerked around to look behind him.

"Who are you people?" he asked.

Two black Ford sedans pulled into the drive behind Bill's car. Two men dressed in black exited the first car and walked to where Bill and Don were standing.

"Sheriff Hudson, I'm Special Attaché to the President, this matter is now under federal jurisdiction. Do you understand? Now, we will not be intruding on your day to day activities, but what happened here is no longer your concern."

The man handed Bill a sheaf of papers, turned and walked back to the car. The cars backed out of the drive and were gone within minutes.

"Who are you, people?"

"We're the good guy's Sheriff. And if you value your life, you will stay away from here for the next couple of days while my men and I clean up this nasty business."

"Well, we'll see about that," Bill said turning and returning to his car.

He slammed the door and backed out the drive at full throttle. His lights flashed on as he pulled away, roaring down the road.

"Eagle one, Sheriff leaving."

"Alpha one to all units, good work, standard patrol package."

Three clicks on his radio were all that Don received in response.

Chapter 13

"Is there anything he can do..." John asked.

"Not if he values his job," Don said.

"How's that?"

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you any more than that, my friend."

"Cut the crap Don," John said.

"Don, tell him," Janice chimed in from the porch.

"Honey, you know I can't..."

"Bullshit," she replied.

Don hung his head, the real boss had spoken.

"If he tries to interfere he will be arrested, tried and convicted of terrorist activities..."

"You won't!" John yelled. "He's a friend."

"I hope he reads that letter from the DOJ. I hope he stays away. I hope my man in town can keep him from making a big mistake."

"Your man in town?" Don asked.

"Yes. My man in town. He will try his damnedest to keep Bill Hudson away from here for the next forty-eight hours."

"Why forty-eight hours?"

"That's when those three thugs go to trial. Steve will be prosecuting."

"I almost forgot about that. He's been prepping me and Millie for the past three days in our spare time."

"Let's all go in and get some rest tonight," Don said.

"I am tired," John replied.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The next morning at the breakfast table, Don cleared his throat getting everyone's attention.

"There has been a new development..." He held up his hand to forestall questions. "It would seem that now that, Alejandro is in jail, his sister Gabriela, has taken over control of the Reynosa cartel. Word is she has crossed the border and is on her way here for payback. She is an expert marksman, an indiscriminate killer, and a crazy bitch to boot. She will stop at nothing to have her revenge."

"Great! If it's not one thing it's another," John said for them all. "What does she look like?"

Don, picked up his cell and swiped the face. Pictures started to flip by. He stopped when a dark hair Latino woman was displayed and turned it so everyone could see.

"I've seen her," John said.

"You have? When? Where? Come on man," Don was almost shouting.

"I'm thinking...in town...three, no two days ago...at the coffee shop."

"Probably casing the place. Did she seem to recognize you?"

"Not really. She was sitting at a table out front and staring at the Sheriff's office."

Don was on his phone, stood and walked away from the table and out the door.

"Come on Millie, let's take Baby for a ride again."

"Yes," Millie replied, both of them heading out the door.

Don waved at them as they climbed into Baby.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

Sergeant Scott Caplin and Senior Airman Harry Jones were in their hide on the highest point in the surrounding landscape. A hill seven hundred meters from the Sterling house. They were both scanning the landscape for anyone who would do the Sterling's harm. They both heard the car start. The roar of the engine was distinct. Harry, scanned the driveway.

"Mister and Missus Sterling leaving," he told his partner. "No escort."

"Joyride," Scott said. "Keep scanning."

Both men kept scanning for trouble as the car backed out the drive onto the road. The engine roared and the car lurched forward. Within seconds it was doing eighty miles an hour.

"Contact, two, eight, five," Scott whispered. "Oh my god," he shouted as the contrail of an RPG flicked out of the bushes down the road from the car.

Scott fired, the women holding the RGP went down. The RGP hit the car, it was enveloped in a ball of flame. Both passengers were thrown from the car as it tumbled in the air. Harry was on the radio as Scott watched the man and woman on the road. The man was crawling to the woman. Scott was amazed that he was still alive. When he made it to the woman, he collapsed.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

John saw the rocket coming, but couldn't swerve in time. It hit the grill dead center. The explosion blew the doors off and John and Millie tumbled out. It hurt, it hurt so bad. Pain, unimaginable pain, but he had to get to her. She was lying still, her eyes open, tears streaming down her smoke covered cheeks. John crawled. And crawled some more. He finally made it to his wife. She was crying. Her breath catching in her throat. John places his blistered hand on her stomach.

"I love you," he whispered. "Forever."

"It hurts so bad," Millie croaked. "I love you, too, forever."

They both heard the pounding feet approach. They both saw Don and Janice bend over them. Then blackness closed in as both their eyes closed and the pain disappeared.

"Oh god no," Janice shrieked collapsing to her knees.

Sammy Teller was at their side, he was a trained medic. He felt for a pulse on both John and Millie. He looked up at Don and shook his head, leaned back and crossed himself.

The rest of the family arrived, weeping and crying. Hank was on the phone to Jack and Doris. He told them they should hurry over.

A man in a ghillie suit walked up to Don, head hanging, tears flowing down his cheeks.

"I got her, but not in time."

"That's okay Scott. She got the drop on all of us today," Don said to Scott as he walked down the road to the bush Gabby Salazar was lying in.

When he got there, Don pulled the body out onto the street. The back of her head was missing and there was a small hole in her left temple. Don went through her pockets, pulling out pieces of paper and keys. She had no ID on her.

"Here, go find the car," Don told Scott tossing him the keys. "Steve, call the county coroner and Bill Hudson. Tell them to get up here, quick."

Steve pulled his cell from his pocket and even though tears flowed down his cheeks his voice was harsh as he spoke to Bill and then the Coroner.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The trial of Alejandro Salazar and his two accomplices went on as scheduled. Their lawyer, Javier Mendoza, argued that the witnesses were not available for cross-examination, therefore the case should be dismissed.

Steve argued that under Shultz v. The United States of America, that the witnesses statements and videotaped depositions were admissible and the hearsay exception applied.

The judge found in favor of Steve. The trial was short and sweet, all the men were found guilty of their crimes. Salazar was also found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder. All three were sentenced to fifty years in prison. Salazar was also sentenced to death.

Javier put up a huge stink until the U.S. Marshalls dragged him out.

~~~ Ooo, Ooo, Ooo ~~~

The funeral was held graveside in the backyard of the Sterling house. John and Millie's will left the house to the two sisters and their husbands. The whole town turned out to bid them farewell. The skies were overcast and threatened rain. As the family sat listening to the preacher extol the virtues of both John and Millie a man bent to whisper in Carol's ear.

"If only the bitch had dropped the charges?"

Carol stood, turned, pulled a revolver from her purse and shot the man dead. A hush came over the crowd. Bill Hudson was there and turned over the dead man. It was Javier Mendoza.

"Bill, if you like, I can handle this," Don said, his arm around Carol's shoulder.

"No, I'll take care of that scum. You stay here with your family, lay your brother and sister to rest. My deputies can dump this crap in the desert."

"Thanks, Bill," Carol said, kissing him on the cheek.

And the White Winged Dove cried.

# # The End # #

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,084 Followers