All Comments on 'Callsign Amarok Ch. 04'

by Gastropoda

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
txcrackertxcracker11 months ago
Wonderful !

Can't wait for the next chapter ! 5*'s

SensitiveHandsSensitiveHands11 months ago

Loving your story ❤️. A question though. Their ammo is limited. How are they planning to replace it? I know some, like the rockets and grenades can't be. But the ammo for the guns and rifles? They should be collecting the brass and digging the bullets out of enemy's and trees to maybe melt into new rounds? I'm sure they can find.the ingredients for gunpowder and make the primers somehow. What do you think?

GastropodaGastropoda7 months agoAuthor

Hello! I'm happy to hear that most of you are enjoying this story.

To answer your question SensitiveHands would be an interesting topic.

1. You are correct in stating that rockets and grenades can't be replaced under normal means. Because they are too complicated in the way of how they're constructed, especially those with specially designed warheads.

2. As for collecting brass and retrieving bullets from impacted targets. That's more difficult to answer. I don't want to bore you with information you may already know but this topic has lingered in my mind throughout writing a militaristic fantasy setting.

Rounds which have been used may be deformed due from the energy of propellant sending off the projectile. In this case most would discard spent casings and use other forms of ammunition. However it isn't impossible to resize and restore used cartridges, turning them into operable rounds. But for the fireteam it may lead to undesired effects.

3. As you've read along and noticed, each soldier has their own set of caliber types and most of their ammo aren't your average bullet heads either.

Black tip M995 5.56x45mm NATO rounds are armor piercing and restricted to law enforcement or military use. Specifically designed to provide the US army with capabilities to penetrate intermediate and basic ballistic body armor. Also able to pierce light cover and light vehicles. With its color is formed from a tungsten carbide penetrator covering an aluminum base with a copper jacket contained in a normal brass casing. As such, due to its design it would be complicated to reconstruct using basic materials. This applies for other caliber types which every member carries.

Mostly everyone in the team exclusively uses 5.56 NATO excluding Pac who has a .45 primary. The same caliber fit in pistols equipped by the rest except Orion who uses a 5.7x28mm sidearm.

4. Finally as for primers and gunpowder it's completely possible to create those 2 components, although resource heavy and time consuming. The same can be said for shaping cartridges and creating standard rounds.

Sorry for the late response. I've got no excuse except saying that I didn't want to rush writing and posting hash work. As well as carelessly researching in spare sessions.

Thanks for the question SensitiveHands. I look forward in resuming this series and seeing you all again in a later chapter.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

"Dan asked as he threw away small bits of paper." This line bothers me so much, because it comes right as the characters are appreciating the unspoilt natural beauty of the location.

Also, a highly trained elite soldier would NOT throw trash away casually, they would bag it and store it for proper disposal. In the field leaving trash gives your position away, you leave no trace. On base, keeping everything clean is everyone's ongoing duty, it's ingrained habit once you pass boot camp let alone as an operator.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGastropoda@Gastropoda
11/12/2023-: Reworking chapter 6 Thank you for your patience. Author of Callsign Amarok.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES