Castles in the Sky

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He shook his head. 'Nope. I thought that one through already. She'd still have Briony all to herself. I'd be then sharing her with Briony whilst I am there as well. I'd lose even more.'

'Two women giving you love. Briony's fit. Scared they'd break you?'

He heard the teasing tone in her voice.

'Nope. I can handle two women. Hell, I'd love the chance to have two women. But that offer, if she were to make it, jips me even more. No dice.'

There was silence as they both thought for a moment about what had been said. Nita spoke first.

'Just a thought, Jim. You said she's always on you for kids.'

James nodded slowly. 'That's the thing she could be waiting for. Me to knock her up? She gets my swimmers and then fucks off.'

'I wouldn't have thought so, but I guess, maybe.'

The two of them sat in silence. Nita shook her head.

'No. I don't buy that. That's too fucking cold. Way too cold. She'd have to hate you for that.'

'Yeah, I agree. She's not that nasty or manipulative. I think I'm leaning towards she's got two people she loves and a life that enables her to have that. I don't think she wants to leave me. I'm not sure, but I don't think so.'

He shook his head.

'Go home this weekend. Don't do anything stupid. Get the missing information and make sure that what you think is happening is happening. Then we can decide what to do.'

James sat there, lost in his thoughts.

'Can you be around her without getting salty?'

James nodded his head. 'Stone cold Steve Fucking Austin, that's what they call me. She's been playing games with me. Now I know, I'm in the game. In the fucking game.'

'Jammer, Take a pill. It might be the best thing that's happened in your life. You don't know, you don't know. Get confirmation first, then we can work out what to do about it.'

Nita swigged down the last of her tea. 'We eating tonight?'

James nodded at her. 'Let me call her and I'll ring for you.'

'Sweet.' Nita paused as she walked out of the room.

'Just a thought, Jimpy. Do not, no matter how much you're tempted, leave Briony any little presents.'

James paused for a moment, thinking through what she meant and then it dawned on him. He laughed.

'Nita, there's going to come a day when I definitely shit in her drawer. But it won't be this weekend.'

Nita walked away, her laugh echoing down the hallway.

Chapter Three -- Spending time with the wife

'Ladies.' James said as he walked through the door. Louise and Briony were both sat at the kitchen table. There was a respectable distance between the two of them he noticed.

His wife whirled at the sound of his voice and moved out of the chair and towards him at a speed he'd not seen before. She barrelled into him, hugging him tight. He put his arms around her. Her head nestled into his shoulder, squirming to find its right spot. He put his nose into her hair and breathed in. She smelt golden, it was one of the things he loved about her, she always smelled so damn good.

'I've missed you.' He heard her murmur as she snuggled into him.

'Me too. It's been a long week.'

'Is everything alright?'

He nodded. 'Yeah, we got it nailed. This kind of crap happens from time to time. We were able to work it out. You roll with it.'

'All's good?'

'Yeah. All's good. Back home with you.'

He turned to look at Briony, 'Hey Bri, you good?'

'Hey James, I'm good. You?'

'Better for being home.'

He looked over and decided to needle her. 'You'll want to wear ear defenders tonight. I've missed Lou and have some catching up to do.'

'Classy!' was the comment from Briony.

Louise walloped his arms. He laughed at the pair of them.

'Coffee?' Louise asked, walking over to their machine. She'd insisted that they buy the latest coffee maker. One that would give a coffee like a posh café. He'd rolled his eyes and shelled out.

He nodded his head as he sat down at the table. He looked around the room, the house was beautiful. It had been his parents and his father's parents before them. It was an older house, spacious and light. He always felt relaxed when he was there. It sat in walking distance of the town centre and on about half an acre of land. The garden was mature and mostly grass. It was low maintenance, pleasant to spend time in during the summer months.

The house was beautifully decorated. With a successful business, it wasn't difficult to afford builders, decorators as required, and James appreciated not having to waste his precious weekend time painting and doing DIY. This way he could spend time with Louise and relax.

The kitchen was a kitchen diner, the room where they spent the most time. It was large, had a conservatory leading off it and plenty of seating. Louise was a keen cook and James enjoyed her efforts. He could see the framed copy of their vows on the wall. It was too far away for him to read. It was next to the door that led through to the flat. The door could be locked in both directions, but normally it was unlocked their side. Another detail he found interesting.

Louise passed him a coffee and he wrapped his hands around it, feeling the heat of the drink.

'How're you?' He asked his wife.

She smiled in return. 'It's been a long week not spending time with you last weekend. That was a quick exit you did. You could've said goodbye.'

'No time to smell the roses. I had to steam.'

'Without even a goodbye?'

'You seemed busy in the garden. I didn't want to interrupt.'

'I think that ...' Her answer trailed off. He wasn't sure, but perhaps she'd remembered what she was doing in the garden.

'You could have left a note.'

'Yeah.'

He took a sip of his drink and a deep breath.

'Babe, before I forget. Next weekend we were thinking about going down to see the parents, would you like to come along?'

He shook his head. They knew that he had to be dragged along. They went occasionally down to see them. Their parents lived a few streets apart on the South Coast. A couple of hours drive away. They would stay with one set of parents or the other. He would see them when they came down to visit. It wasn't as frequent, but he quite enjoyed seeing them. He was feeling tired and he responded before he could think.

'Not this time. Don't you guys have half term coming up soon?'

There was a note of frustration in his voice.

Louise and Briony both looked at him, he could see wariness in their eyes.

'Yes, two weeks.'

'OK.' He paused for a moment and then spoke up. 'Can you save your trip until I go up to Manchester during half-term?'

He saw Louise look over to Briony before answering. That gave him the answer he was looking for.

'We've not seen them for a while and ....'

'Lou, I don't get to see much of you. Our weekends together are important to me. I don't want to lose another bloody weekend when the both of you can go down and see them without me being left alone a week later. It's not like you were planning to do anything during half term is it?'

Louise lay her hand on his arm. 'We can go during half term, no drama. I didn't think it'd be a problem.'

He shrugged. 'Lou, I want to spend time with you. I think we should go away. Have a bit of a break. I know I could use a bit of time away. Screw it. You were going to see your parents for two nights. I tell you what, take two nights with them at the start of half term and I'll book us a break away for the remainder.'

He was looking at his drink as he spoke, but he saw the look flash between the two.

'I'd like that.' Louise said slowly.

He looked at her. 'Cool. I'll sort it. Let your parents know that you'll see them on the Monday and Tuesday.'

'Can the business cope with you gone?' Briony asked.

'Nita's on it like a bonnet, there's little she can't handle.'

'I do want to meet this incredible Nita one day. I've an image in my head of a wizened old lady, wiser than the hills.'

James laughed. 'She's about as far from that as is possible. If you guys ever come up to Manchester, you can meet her. She's worth the trip by herself. She'd love to meet the two of you.'

'Nice try but I want to make it to my next birthday without being mugged.'

'After the thing last week, you sure you can go?'

'That thing has been put back in its box. Don't worry, Daddy's home.'

He lifted his drink and drank it down. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons. He felt good, vindicated. That would teach them to mess with him.

'Whilst we're away we can talk about children.'

He looked at Louise, she had a bullish look on her face.

'You sure you want children?' He asked.

'Oh my God, James, have you met her? All she talks about is having your children. She's even got their names picked. The design for their bedrooms.' Briony laughed.

He knew she wanted children, or rather that she'd always said she wanted children. But after what he'd seen, did she want kids? He was struggling to align the two different sides of her. On one hand she was a loving wife wanting a family with her husband, on the other, she was in a long-term lesbian relationship. Which one was the real woman? Which was the priority?

'Yeah, I guess she does. But I ...' he trailed off. Did he want to expose his doubts in front of his wife's lover? Not for one bloody moment. Show no weakness.

He could see the look of concern on Louise's face.

'You guess I do? Honey, how can you doubt my love or the that I want to bear your children? I want you to fuck me pregnant right here, right now. I don't care if Briony hears this, I want you to throw me down and do nasty things to me. Make me your woman again.'

'I'm going to my room. Excuse me please!' Briony stood up and left the table, but both James and Louise could see the smile on her face as she left.

'Come on James, I want to make a baby with you.' Louise stood up taking his hand and leading him off towards their room.

It was a particularly memorable weekend and an exhausted James who made his way north back to Manchester.

Chapter Four -- Teamwork is the dream work

James knocked on the door. After a short delay, hearing no noise he checked the street. He could see her car, why wasn't she answering? He knocked again. There was a muffled noise inside the house and the door opened. Nita stood in the doorway, she looked different. She was dressed in a sari, but she looked smaller. She gestured for him to come in and he followed, closing the front door behind him.

'You, OK?' he asked.

She stood in the kitchen waiting for him to come in. He got a closer look at her as she stood in the light. Her eyes were puffy and red rimmed.

'Hey, have you been crying? What's up?'

He moved over to her and she sank into his arms. He put his arms around her. He could feel her sobbing. He didn't say anything he just held her and stroked her hair. It was a while before she moved out of his embrace, rubbing her eyes to dry them.

He moved over to the sink and filled the kettle. Pulled out two mugs and prepped them ready for the hot water.

'Do you want to tell me what's up?' He asked softly, looking at her. He hadn't seen this vulnerable side to her before. Not for a very long time. Normally she was strong, projecting a confident image to the world. Him included.

'Family stuff.'

'Oh. Everything OK?'

'It's complicated.'

The kettle boiled and he made the tea. He carried the two mugs over to her table and sat in the chair facing her.

'That's alright. I'm good with Complicated. He's a friend of mine. Haven't seen him for a few years, but he calls in from time to time. It's like Hard Work, another old pal. Hard Work and Complicated. You wouldn't recognise them, but they're good friends of mine. Practically my brothers.'

She gave him a piercing look. Then pushed her chair back and got up.

'You're a cock.'

'Potty mouth.' He jibed back with a smile.

She walked over to a cupboard a pulled out a pack of biscuits. She put them on the table between them and took one.

'Heathen.' James muttered as she began to dunk the biscuit in her tea.

'Tea's an Indian drink, white boy. Watch and learn.'

'An Indian drink that the English taught you to make properly.'

She grinned at him.

'A bit of England, a bit of India. Perfect mix that.' She glanced at him slyly.

'Works for the humble brew. Now, talk to me.'

She shook her head. 'Rash got engaged today. Well, last week, but there was a celebration, a kind of non-alcoholic party for both families. You would not have approved.'

'Did you go?'

She nodded. 'Yep, and don't I wish I hadn't.'

'They still giving you heat.'

Nita's had been an arranged marriage not a love match, as she called it. When he first heard about arranged marriages, it staggered James. He didn't suspect that such things happened anymore, certainly not in England. That was medieval shit. Over time and getting to know Nita better he'd began to understand how common they were and not the oppressive thing that he imagined.

Nita came from a conservative family. Who, whilst they understood why Nita had separated from her husband, weren't comfortable with her divorcing him. She lived in limbo. Married to a husband she refused to have a relationship with. Tied to him out of a desire not to upset her family. Her husband didn't seem to be too bothered. He was on his third or fourth partner since Nita kicked him out.

They'd never said it, but James had the impression that her family thought she should suck it up. A marriage was for life, not convenience. Her relationship with her family was still rocky. She was quite independent and not afraid of speaking her mind. But they seemed to bring out a vulnerable, little girl side of her. At odds to the normally confident woman, she was.

'Yeah, lots of little digs.'

'Sorry Nita.'

'They kept dropping hints about Rash having children and that I could be doing that. You know, if I'd stayed married like a good girl. If I gave Dinesh another chance.'

'You want kids?'

She nodded.

'Wow. I did not know that. You've surprised me there.'

'I know, cliché, right? Honestly, I can't wait to be a mother. It's the one thing I always wanted, always look forward to when I was younger. But after dick breath, I'm kind of spoiled goods.'

'Fuck off Nita, there's no way on God's green earth that you're spoiled goods. You're one of the most incredible people that I've ever met. Any man would be lucky to have you in their life. You'll make a bloody marvellous wife.'

'Not wife.' Her words were flat and hard. 'I'll have a relationship with a man. I want that. I want children and with a man, not as a single mother. But marriage, absolutely no damn way. And there's no way I'm betting everything on a man either. I need my independence; I've learnt that lesson.'

'I'm sensing strong feelings here, still waters running deep and all that.'

She laughed. 'I tried. I did everything I was supposed to. I was the good girl and got my heart broken. I made the mistake once, it hurt. Proper hurt. I don't want to go through that again. Any man who wants to be with me will have to understand my need for space. The next time I give my heart away, it will be on my terms.'

'You'll get it, Nita. You've got the personality, brains, the looks. You're damn special and that's me saying that as your friend. Hold out for that right man in that right relationship. Don't compromise. You'll get it, you're worth it.'

She grinned at him shyly. 'You have to say that or I'd make so much noise, you'd never get a decent night's sleep again.'

'I'm not saying it because I have to. I'm saying it because I don't get the chance to say it much. Normally you'd chop my legs off with sarcasm if I told you how special you are.'

'Am I that bad?'

'No. You're incredible. I feel blessed to have you in my life. After Lou, you're probably my closest friend and I get to work with you. You'll find another man. Bloody hell, you're one of the best-looking women I've ever seen.'

'Now I know you're lying.'

'Stop fishing for compliments. And I'm not lying. I'm really not. When you're ready for love, you won't have any problem finding a man.'

'Yeah, that's the problem. There's a lot of idiots out there. The good ones are rarer than rocking horse shit.'

'You'll find someone, Nita. Trust me.'

'That's the trouble. I did that once and it didn't work out well did it? Hey? Get married Nita, that's what good girls do. Meet your dream man, Nita. Have a family, Nita. Marry a good man from a good family and the two of you work together on building your own family, Nita.'

She paused for a moment. James could see the anger behind her words. He kept quiet.

'I did it. I was a good girl. I married the man my parents told me to. I'm still married to the cheating cretin. Look where it got me. I'm in my early thirties, married to a total tool who I despise. No children, no prospect of children and I don't even have the courage to actually divorce him because I don't want to upset my parents. What a dipshit!'

'Then my little sister, who has learnt from my example, does it properly. She says no, picks her own man and my damn parents accept her choice!'

'Next time take me along. I'll tell them.'

'Yeah, that'd work well. Hey Dad, Mum meet James, my married boss. If I take a man home to meet my parents, that's a strong signal to them.'

'Nice to see your sarcasms coming back. Sign that you're recovering.'

Nita grinned at him.

'I'm happy to send that signal to them. I'm behind you, Nita. One hundred percent, you want me to come with you and face them down. I've got your back. I think you should divorce Dopey bollocks. Get him out of your life in every damn way. When I listen to you talk, all I think is get on with it. Don't waste more time on him. You know you don't want him, kick him out. Clear him out of your life.'

'As easy as that?' Her voice was quiet, pensive.

'I'll help you, Nita. You're superb at work, you've been amazing with all this crap around Lou. You want my support, you've got it. I'm your friend, let me be your friend.'

She looked at him and paused, he could see her thinking. She gave him a grin.

'Hungry? My parents are worried I'm not eating enough and have loaded me up with grub.'

He nodded, he'd tasted her mother's cooking before and it was special. If she wanted to change the subject to her mum's cooking, he was happy to go along with it.

She got up and began to unpack the contents of different Tupperware dishes into saucepans. He got up and looked over her shoulder.

'That looks incredible.' He said, drawing in a nose full of the smell.

'Here, have a couple of these.'

She pushed a large container full to the brim with samosas toward him. He hooked out a couple and sat back down.

'They don't want you to starve, do they?'

It didn't take long for her to heat up a range of different dishes. He sat and watched her move around the kitchen. Occasionally she'd look over her shoulder to see what he was doing and would give him a smile. She served up and told him what the different dishes were. Watching her cook, wearing a sari, he felt relaxed and more comfortable than he had in a while.

'So that was my shitty weekend. Now the big question, how was yours?'

'Not all bad. Louise was all over me. I guess she'd got a bit more stressed by my absence than what I realised. Lots of hugs, lots of sex. Briony was quiet. She joined us Saturday night and curled up with us on the sofa to watch some telly.'

'Curled up with you or snuggled into Lou?'

'Into me. She was on one side and Lou on the other. Same as normal.'

'That's normal?'

'If we're watching the box, aye.'

'Nice way to spend some time. I saw you left early.'

'Yeah. After we spoke Wednesday night, I kind of had a brainwave and decided I was going to go down there and see what I could see.'

He could see Nita shaking her head at his words. 'This isn't going to end well, is it?'