Castles in the Sky

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'I got there, about half four in the AM. Parked up a couple or three streets away and walked to the house. Our garden has a hedge all around and a gate. The gate was locked, so I let myself in. Nobody stirred.'

'Security system?'

'It's Letchworth, not Moss Side.'

He smiled as he watched Nita roll her eyes.

'I let myself in, all nice and quiet. No lights. Kicked off my shoes and made my way, double quietly upstairs.'

He paused.

'Come on Jameson, get to the bloody punchline.'

'No-one in the bedroom. No-one in either of the guest rooms. Beds not slept in.'

'Please tell me you didn't confront them.'

James laughed. 'Nope. Sneaky bastard that I am, I tucked myself away and waited. I knew when they were leaving for school, I wanted to see if she came back into the house at all.'

'I take it she didn't?'

'Bingo. She walked out with Briony, from Briony's flat. Didn't come into the house at all.'

'They live there whilst you're away.'

'Uh huh.' James nodded. 'I sneaked into Briony's flat after school had started and had a bit of a snoop.'

'Not cool.'

'What? It's my house. She's fucking my wife.'

Nita was shaking her head. 'No James. That don't wash. Don't do that again. I get you're pissed. I get they're playing you. But you don't do that shit. You are way fucking better than that.'

He heard the anger in her voice. He didn't know what to say, it had seemed like a good idea. A way of finding out what was going on.

'I don't know what to say. Dick move?'

Nita nodded. 'I get the anger thing. I get the revenge thing. But you're a classy guy. I don't know what's going to happen between you and Louise, but afterwards you'll be seeing your face in the mirror. Who you are is much more important. Don't let yourself down.'

He sat there, feeling like a scolded schoolboy.

'Sorry.'

'You don't need to apologise to me.'

'I know. OK, let's try, thank you. Thank you, Nita for calling me out on this. You're right, that isn't who I want to be.'

Nita walked over to him and rubbed his shoulder.

'I know you're hurting. But I also know that this will be over; it's a moment in time. Don't screw up your future over this, it isn't worth it.'

'So, Mister Super Snoop, what did you find? Please tell me you weren't just sniffing their knickers.'

'Nita!'

'Sorry.' The smile on her face made it clear that she wasn't really. But James had to grin at her. She was back to the woman that he knew and admired.

'I went in there and had a look around. It's like the two of them are married. There're pictures of the two of them together. Their bedroom looks just like that, their bedroom.'

'Domestic bliss.'

'Not that glamorous. To be honest, it was a bit untidy. Looked a bit lived in. There were a lot of clothes in their closets.'

'Yet still enough room for them in there as well.'

James laughed.

'You'd think, but from what I saw, there wasn't enough room for the two of them to be in the closet. Their closets were ram packed.'

'Jam packed not ram packed.'

'Whatever. Bathroom the same. It looked like a married couple sharing a flat. The only difference was the pictures were the two of them.'

'When you say pictures ....'

'Nita! They were photos of them together at college, on holiday, at our wedding. Not bloody porn pics.'

'They disappoint me. So much potential and yet they seem to ... I don't know, they're as limp as a four-day old lettuce.'

James laughed at her description.

'It was disappointingly pedestrian.'

'You know they're together. This confirms it.'

'Yeah. A thought did strike me though.'

Nita nodded at him. 'Care to share?'

'They live their life in a small, little flat. I appreciate that they are living rent free and so banking some cash. But I get the weekends, the good days where there are places to go, things to do. I've got the space, the money. I can do the trips away, the fun stuff. They work and come home to a small flat when I'm not around.'

'A bit sad, isn't it?'

'That's my point, I guess. I don't feel angry, I feel kind of let down more than anything.'

'I love it. Your wife's cheating on you and you feel sorry for her. You're a bleeding heart!'

'Yeah, well I did get a little bit of revenge.'

'Oh, please tell me you shat in her drawer. Please. That would vindicate your whole creepy landlord, spying crap.'

James was laughing at her words and he could see the smile on Nita's face.

'I'm even limper than Juliet and Juliet. No, I just fucked with their plans.'

'What did you do?'

He could hear the alarm in her voice.

'Nothing bad. I saw that they were planning to sneak off during half term for a short break together. There were brochures on their kitchen table.'

'OK.'

'They asked if I minded them going to their parents' next weekend. That would give them the chance to get away during half term. I called them out on it and said I didn't like the idea. Why couldn't they use half term instead? Then I suggested to Lou that we go away.'

Nita laughed. 'Good for you. Did it work?'

'Yeah. I could see they didn't like it, but what the hell, it's a reasonable request for me to make.'

'You're going to take her away?'

He nodded. 'Yep. End of half term I plan on taking her away for a few days spring sunshine.'

'Nice. Punish the cheater; burn that bitch. Take her on a romantic short break, she'll never cheat again.'

She rolled her eyes and his laughed at her.

'Now my eyes are open I could see a lot more. Little glances, little touches. It's there, I just had to know to look for it.'

'You, OK?'

'It's fucking tough to be honest, Nita. On one hand nothing has changed, she's as loving and attentive as ever. We had sex, more than once and it was great. She was into it, I swear. It wasn't faked. I know everyman says that, but it wasn't. We went out, spent time together, talked shit and made each other laugh. Same as every other time we're together. I don't want to leave her; I love spending time with her. But this time I was watching and seeing things.'

'Jumping at shadows?'

'Jumping at shadows? Oh, I get it. Imagining shit. I dunno. Maybe, probably. But there's shit there as well.'

'Briony around?'

'Bits and pieces like usual. She kept herself scarce but also spent time with us. She wasn't intrusive, she was a good laugh. This is what's screwing with me, it was all so damn normal, Nita. It was like every other weekend.'

His voice trailed off and he sat there, looking at his mug of tea. He swirled the brown liquid around in the mug and drained it.

'They've had practice, Jamjar. They are used to hiding their relationship whilst you are around. This isn't new. They've been doing this a while.'

'Whilst numbnuts here is too blind to see.'

'Yup. Confirmation bias will do that. You see the truth that you already know, which validates what you already know. You ignore the reality where it isn't in line with what you know is true. Or something like that.'

'Sex and love keep me thinking everything is good.'

'Could be that. Or, less cynically, she actually loves you but when you're not around she has Briony.'

'Cheating either way. Hurts to know that our marriage is a lie.'

'Is it though? She loves you.'

James paused for a moment, thinking before he replied. 'Yeah, I guess.'

'You love her. That's clear. Do you want a divorce?'

He shook his head. 'No.'

'You sure? She's cheating and yet no divorce?'

'Not yet. I love her and I want to find a way to work this out. Seeing her bought it home to me, I want her in my life. I can't explain it well, but she has something that makes me want to be around her. To love her, make things work well for her. She is, leaving aside the whole extra person thing, a bloody good wife.'

'I think you're more forgiving than me.'

'Probably. But she was there, after my parents died. She was about the only positive thing I had. Work and her or rather her and Briony.'

'You knew her before your parents passed? I didn't realise that.'

'No. We'd met but it was after their deaths when we met again that things took off. She was a real fucking rock for me. I'm not exactly the blubbering type, but I had some tough times and she helped me out. Briony as well. We spent nights talking, being together.'

'You don't owe her.'

'I know. This isn't about a debt. It's me saying I'm not going to go all Genghis Khan on her ass for this. I like being married to her. She ticks all the boxes for me.'

'All except one.'

James laughed. 'Yeah, all except one. And Briony, she's like an annoying little sister I didn't have. She's a pain in my ass, always around getting underfoot. But ...'

'I get it. Doesn't make it right, but I get divorce is off the table.'

'It's not what I want, Nita.'

'OK, did you check out her vows?

'I took a photo of our vows.'

'You can show me later. Is she cheating?'

'By the letter of her vows, no she isn't. She promised that I'd be the only man in her life, she didn't promise to forsake all others.'

'What about you?'

'Yup, mine are forsaking all others.'

Nita laughed. 'Oh, she got you and she got you good. I want to meet her. I'll have to count my fingers afterwards, but I do want to meet her.'

'Tell me about it. I never picked up on it at all. She hasn't technically broken her vows to me.'

'Clever woman.'

'Snakey.'

'Yeah. But we know what she did now. She's been discovered. The curtains pulled back and we can see the wizard.'

'Woohoo. Lucky me for finding out.'

'It is lucky. What would you rather have -- knowing this shit is going on or be blind to it?'

'I'd rather know.'

Nita was nodding at him. 'Yep. Now we have to find your win.'

'I like that. Mission find my win.'

'Don't take the piss, Jumbo. There's a win for you in this. We have to work it out. Think about what the win could look like. What the options are.'

'I don't know what it'd look like. I guess for this shit not to have started.'

There was a pause in the conversation as Nita was distracted, serving up what she'd cooked. James groaned with pleasure as he began to eat.

'Damn, your mum can cook.'

'Not just my mum, my aunties as well. This is community food, not my mums alone.'

They finished the meal and James helped tidy up.

'Can you cook like that?'

Nita nodded. 'Proper Indian girl me. Mum taught me and my sisters how to cook, we all can. I just don't.'

'Why not? That was an incredible meal.'

'Not much point cooking for one.'

'Girl, you can cook for me like that any time you want.'

'Let me know when, I'll happily cook for you. You ask me to be a dutiful little housewife, I'll be that girl with a smile on my face.'

She grinned at him cheekily.

'Tease.'

'Yeah, I'll even do that as well. Had to learn all the Indian dancing moves. Classes Tuesday and Thursday evenings when I was growing up.'

'You're a lady of many talents.'

'If only you appreciated them Jay, if only.'

He laughed at her mock flirting and got up from the table.

'I'll see you tomorrow. My car or yours?'

'Let's take mine. Knock me up around seven thirty?'

'See you tomorrow. Hey, are you feeling OK about the family thing?'

She nodded. 'Yeah, I've got thinking to do. Your kick up my arse helped. Like you, there's a win in all this. I can feel it, its close, I just can't seem to get it quite right. It's there, but elusive at the moment. I'm good.'

'I'm glad. And seriously, don't let them drag you down. You want to be a mother, you will be, you've just got to find the right sperm donor.'

'I think I've found him, I've just got to persuade him that I'm the right mother.'

James laughed. 'That should be no problem. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and cry myself to sleep knowing my wife is at home screwing her girlfriend.'

'Stiff upper lip, Jimpy. See you tomorrow.'

James walked over and gave her a quick hug. Then started to walk down the hall to the door.

'James! James!'

He heard the urgency in Nita's tone. He started to walk back towards the kitchen and nearly collided with her as she came barrelling out of the room.

'I think I have a plan, Jim'.

He smiled at the enthusiastic woman in front of him. She was practically vibrating.

'Really Nita, a cunning and subtle one?'

'Oh yes, Jimlord, oh yes.'

'As cunning as a fox that has been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University.'

She laughed with delight. 'Jim, Jim, Jimmy this is a plan so damn cunning I could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.'

'That's the kind of plan I'm looking for Nita. That's the kind of plan I need. I need an A Team plan, an 'I love it when a plan comes together' plan. Given the hype, this better not be no Dr Evil plan.'

'Dr Evil plan? I'm not coming to you with a Dr Evil plan. You want the win in this mess? I've not just got a win; I've got the lawful good win.'

'Genuine lawful good? I am that kind of bard. This I want to hear.'

He could see the gleam in her eye and the smile playing across her lips. She'd never looked so beautiful.

'You've not been married for ten years, have you? Isn't your anniversary soon?'

He shook his head.

'Anniversary's next month, after the schools kick out for summer.'

She was grinning at him. He smiled back, confused. 'What?'

'If I tell you, promise me you'll do something for me.'

He looked at her confused, trying to make sense of what she was saying. He could see the excitement she was radiating.

She held up her hand as he was about to speak.

'Promise me first.'

'I promise.'

'Definitely promise, regardless of how weird it is or what it is?'

'I'm not going to run down the street bollock naked. Apart from that, if I can do it I will. Now what's your plan.'

He was catching her energy off her.

'For your anniversary, surprise her. Have a recommitment ceremony or whatever they're called. You know, where you redo your vows.'

He realised what she was saying. He began to smile, this was why Nita was Nita, she could find the way. He couldn't see where she was going but he knew she was going.

'But surprise her so she keeps the same vows and you change yours.'

He looked at her. 'I'm being thick. I don't get it, what would that get me?'

'Levels the playing field. You'll be doing to her what she did to you.'

He shook his head in amazement.

'Okay.' He drawled, thinking about what she'd said. 'I don't see what that gives me.'

'Permission to legitimately cheat. You'll be doing to her what she did to you. She can't complain, you're balancing the scales.'

'Clever. I'll have to give it some thought. I'm not sure what I'd do with the permission. It's not like I've got women knocking down my door to get to me. Now, I owe you a promise. What do you want?'

'To enjoy this.'

He didn't have time to realise what she'd said. The words hadn't computed before she was kissing him. He went to pull back out of her clinch and then stopped. He'd gave his promise and more than that, he wanted this. He moved forward and took her into his arms. He began to return the kiss. Gently, carefully he kissed her. Taking his time. Enjoying the moment. Savouring the intimacy. Loving the way it felt with her. Finally, they broke apart and she was breathing heavily. She looked up at him and he saw the faintest hint of a tear in her eye.

'Can you hear me knocking now?'

'What?'

'Go home, Dickhead. I'll see you in the morning.'

She practically pushed him out the door.

Chapter Five -- Reset to zero

It took the weeks before their anniversary to set it all up. It wasn't easy, trying to arrange everything, everyone without any word getting out to Louise or Briony. But he had a team of people in his company who were practiced in getting things done. Doing the impossible with a motivated Nita driving them. He had to tell both sets of parents what he was doing to ensure that they both attended and kept shtum. Friends weren't a problem, but there were a few sleepless nights wondering if they would pull this off.

He wanted it slick, professionally managed and to the right standard. His company was doing well, life was good. He wanted it to be a day for all of them to remember, regardless of what happened further down the road. This was the remaking of his marriage. This was marriage version 2.0, the fair one.

He took time to rewrite his vows. He worked with Nita to craft them carefully so that they said exactly what he wanted them to say and nothing more. He knew, they both knew, that one day all of this would come out. When it did, he wanted Lou and Briony to realise he'd played them the same way they had him. Nothing more, exactly the same. It wasn't about escalating and making the situation worse, it was about giving everybody exactly what they wanted. More or less.

More challenging was negotiating with Nita. The kiss had been a shock. Despite her appearance and their friendship, he'd never thought about her like that. He didn't think she'd find him attractive. He was too unsuitable. Her family would never approve. She'd never given him any indication she was interested. The kiss changed that. It changed everything.

The kiss showed both that there was something between them. Both knew that they worked together and had a friendship and a lot at stake. They agreed to do nothing physical until the vows were changed. Neither wanted to be a cheat. They'd both been hurt themselves by that. Nita was also clear, she was not an escape from Louise. Letchworth was not to intrude on Manchester. She wanted a relationship with James, not to be his safe place in a storm.

He agreed, there was no reason he could see why he couldn't compartmentalise his life neatly. Nita would be the more accommodating partner as she would fit around the marriage. He would make sure that she didn't miss out. He would also see that she had the space she needed. His being involved with Louise meant that she would get time away from him. Space to be herself rather than just an adjunct to him. As far as they could see, the whole situation could work for everyone.

Knowing that she had feelings for him, it was hard not to act on his feelings. Especially as each time he saw her, he found more to appreciate. Her looks, her humour, the way she put him first, her butt he'd been appreciating for a while. Despite their attraction, there was a lot to be discussed. Their relationship would be unconventional and there was a lot of potential for misunderstandings and things to go wrong. Despite his initial misgivings, the conversations had been surprisingly easy.

It was a few days after the kiss that Nita fronted up to her parents and told them that she was going to divorce her husband. She didn't ask James to go with her, but she did it on a day when he was there so she had the emotional support when she got home. He dealt with her tears calmly and helped her pull the divorce paperwork together. He was there when her solicitor confirmed that her husband had received the paperwork and had signed it, bringing their marriage to an end. He joined her in a drink to celebrate the end of one relationship and the beginning of another.

James stood at the front the church, waiting for Louise to join him. Her father was at the church door and her mother was sat in the pew. As he looked over, she raised both thumbs. He'd got them in on the plan. A lovely plan, the kind a generous and loving husband would do. Surprise his wife with a recommitment ceremony, an opportunity to renew their vows in front of their friends and family on their tenth anniversary.

With the support of her family, he'd organise it so she was caught by surprise. He'd arranged for her parents to come down for the weekend. They'd gone out to lunch. Briony had stayed at home. After lunch, her mother had taken her to get primped and dressed ready for the ceremony.