Casus Belli Ch. 06: Darkness Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It took her a moment to grasp why she was feeling relieved, and then she realized she had just accepted her own death, and in some way Brando's too, and that from now on things could only improve. "Yes," she answered, "I'm okay."

They entered her private rooms, and she noticed the guards were still manning the reception desk. They found her maidens were in the living room, where they had left them, and their faces looked worried as she came in. She gestured at the large dining table, and sat herself down at the head of it. She waited until everyone was seated, and half a dozen concerned faces were looking her way. She cleared her throat, "I decided to surrender, if the orcs agree not to harm the commoners in any way, if they promise not to kill or enslave them, and not to destroy or confiscate their property. And that includes the servants of the nobility, which includes the six of you. In addition to that they'll also have to agree to spare the children of the nobles."

A short shocked silence fell, and then Syldan's voice sounded softly, "And the adult nobles?"

Cassandra swallowed, "I have ordered the delegation to try and get them off the hook too, to save them from the executioners block, and maybe even from slavery, but I honestly don't think the latter will be achievable. But whatever the outcome, I'm not going to doom the common Nigawan people, and the children of the nobles, in order to try and save the people who chose for this war themselves."

She looked around the table again, to measure their response, and then Moiga spoke up, "You're leaving out the part where you said it would be okay if the orcs wanted your head as retribution."

A short silence fell, and then Syldan's voice sounded upset, "Why did you say that? You told us the pretty noble women would be spared, that they would be destined for the brothels."

Cassandra shrugged, "I have a very privileged life Syldan, and I always have had, but it comes with responsibilities. I'm the enemy leader, and as such I'm accountable for what our army did to the orcs."

Syldan turned pale, "But..., this orc leader, this Bashuk, he told you that you would be offered a chance to escape death, by choosing to go to the brothels, yourself."

She smiled softly at her upset maiden, "He didn't know who I was at the time, and he, and his men, will want to see a head roll for what was done to their people."

The lithe krujac master blinked fiercely, and then tears started to run down her cheeks. "No!" she half wailed, and then she got up in a flash and stormed towards the doors to the private hallway.

It was a breach of decorum, and Denora started to rise in response, "Syldan! Come ba..."

Cassandra stopped her, "It's okay Denora, she's just upset, let her go." Denora lowered herself again, and Cassandra looked around the table, there were tears running everywhere, "I don't know what the orcish demands will be," she said, "I just made clear that, if need be, they could have my head. Nothing is set in stone yet..."

An uneasy silence descended. After a moment she spoke again, "The delegation will be on its way to Roha within the hour, let's just wait and see what they come back with before we jump to any conclusions."

All present nodded. "How do you want me to handle Syldan?" Denora asked.

Cassandra placed a hand on top of her senior maiden's, "She just needs some time to come to grips with all of this, just give her some room okay?" Denora nodded. "This does probably mean krujac training isn't going to happen this afternoon...," Cassandra added. It got her soft smiles. She locked eyes with Denora next, "Just keep an eye on her for me, will you?" Her senior maiden nodded her agreement.

"How long till we can expect word back from the delegation?" Vala then asked.

Cassandra shrugged, "Roha is three days by coach, but that's under normal circumstances, which these aren't, and the orcs might be moving north. So your guess is as good as mine..."

Vala sighed, "It'll be a long wait anyway."

"Yes," Cassandra replied, "and the same goes for any news on Brando." The expressions around her became even darker. "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst," she added, "but what is the best? Our dream of a happy married life is over. He's a noble, so the best he can hope for considering the circumstances is a life of slavery, while his lover has been beheaded, or is serving cocks in an orcish brothel." Her voice broke, "He might be better off dead. We might both be better of dead."

Polly whimpered, "You aren't going to... You aren't are you?"

Cassandra shook her head, "No, it isn't even an option, not of my own free will at least." Polly looked back questioningly, as did the other maidens. "Before he left for Roha Brando made me promise to always choose life over death. He reminded me of the oath I swore, to protect Nigawa and its people to my best ability for as long as I lived. He made me realize that by freely choosing death I would be breaking my oath, because you never know what the future brings."

***

As expected, there was no krujac training that afternoon, and when dinner time arrived Syldan's chair remained empty. They ate in a subdued atmosphere, and afterwards Cassandra asked Denora to check on her absent maiden. Denora didn't take long, and when she returned to the living room she informed the others, Cassandra wasn't the only one worried about the girl, that Syldan was in her room, and just wanted to be left alone. They installed themselves on the couches, and Denora, with Moiga's help, served them all red wine. Not much later Polly got up, and declared she was going to get Syldan something to eat.

The evening passed slowly, with everyone trying to act normally, but not really succeeding. When bed-time finally arrived Vala and Leavy accompanied her to her bedchamber, to get her ready for the night. By the time she was dressed in her nightgown, and had visited the toilet, Denora arrived. She was dressed in a nightgown too, and after Vala and Leavy said goodnight, and left the bedchamber, her senior maiden walked over to the bed and drew back the comforter. Cassandra's concern for her missing maiden had grown all evening, and now she snapped, "No, I don't want this, please go and get Syldan."

Denora looked surprised, "I don't think she'll want to join us."

Cassandra shrugged, "I don't care; if she doesn't want to join us we're going to join her."

Denora smiled softly, "Her bed is a lot smaller than yours, it would be very cozy,..." Cassandra didn't buckle, and Denora shrugged in turn, "I'll go and see what I can do then..."

Five minutes passed, and then ten, while Cassandra waited patiently, with her arms crossed beneath her breasts. The doors to the living room opened slowly, and in came Syldan, with Denora following close behind. The raven haired beauty took a couple of steps inside, evading her eyes, and then she stopped, looking at the floor. Denora said nothing, just walked over to the window side of the bed and got in. Cassandra waited, until Syldan glanced up towards her. She gestured at the bed, "Get into bed please," she said softly. Syldan swallowed, then walked over to the bed, stopped next to it, and glanced back at her. "Yes," Cassandra said, "in you go."

Syldan slipped beneath the halfway pulled back comforter, and then shuffled to the center of the bed, where a smiling Denora was waiting for her. The two maidens embraced, and Cassandra got into bed too. With Denora's assistance she pulled up the comforter, and then she snuggled up against Syldan's back, locking eyes with Denora, who looked back at her questioningly. Cassandra smiled softly, "The wounded little bird hurt most goes in the center." Syldan whimpered, and then she turned around and hugged her fiercely. Cassandra returned the fierce embrace, "It's okay," she whispered into Syldan's ear, "this is hard for all of us."

Denora snuggled up against Syldan's back, and the upset girl started to cry, softly at first, but ever more violently. They both just held her, as she got it out of her system. It took a while before she calmed again, and when she did she looked up at Cassandra with red puffy eyes. "I'm sorry," Syldan said, "for being such a wimp."

Cassandra smiled softly, and pecked her nose, "It's okay, just don't make it a habit, alright?"

Syldan shook her head, "I won't, I promise..." Then she blushed, "Would you like to change places?"

It got the raven haired girl another peck on her nose. "No," Cassandra answered, "this is perfect."

Denora gestured at the light switch cord, and she gave her senior maiden an approving nod. The ceiling mounted switch clicked softly as Denora pulled the cord, and then the light from the crystals slowly died, immersing the bedchamber in darkness. The three girls snuggled up against each other, and it didn't take long for sleep to arrive.

***

Daylight filtering through the curtains woke Cassandra, and as she slowly opened her eyes the image of a sleeping angel materialized. Syldan was still sleeping, and so was Denora, probably because they were laying with their backs towards the windows. She moved slowly, careful not to wake them, until she was able to look at the wall mounted chronometer. It was close to nine already, an hour past the normal getting up time. Soft sounds originating from the living room told her not all her maidens had slept in. She turned her attention back to her two bed guests, studied their serene faces while they slept.

Her senior maiden was laying with her cheek against the back of Syldan's head, her dark auburn hair merging with Syldan's raven black. Their skin color offered a sharper contrast; Denora's creamy white against Syldan's warm beige. Both were exceptionally beautiful, all her maidens were, insecure Polly included. It now was a source for worry though, because if the orcs declined to negotiate, the common people, her maidens included, would be facing retribution too. In the case of beautiful young women, not much imagination was needed, to realize in what shape this retribution would come.

Cassandra felt a shiver run up her spine; with her father dead already, and Brando missing, these girls were closest to her heart. She would go to any length, face death if need be, to keep them out of harm's way. Her thoughts went to Brando. Where was he? Was he even alive? Her father had died instantly from an arrow through the eye, probably hadn't even seen it coming. If Brando was now dead too she hoped he had met an equally merciful end, fast and painless, with no time to worry about what he left behind. Somewhere deep inside, however, she had this irrational trouble believing a bond as strong as hers and Brando's could have been broken without her noticing.

She knew it was nonsense of course, but it didn't change the feeling. Gods I hope he's alive and well, she thought, while a soft whimper escaped her. Denora stirred, and then her hazel eyes opened. She looked up, at the wall mounted chronometer no doubt, and then she cursed softly, "Dang, I forgot I'm in charge of wake-up calls..." Cassandra put a finger before her lips, and Denora's mouth snapped shut, but it was too late already.

Syldan stirred, and her amber eyes opened. "Where...," she started, and then, "ah yes."

The girl started to blush, and Cassandra immediately pulled her close against her, "Don't," she whispered into her ear, "it's okay. I care for you very much." Syldan relaxed against her, and then Denora made it a three way hug.

They cuddled for a moment, and then the door to the living room opened a little, and Leavy's head peeked around it. The platinum blonde smiled, and then her head disappeared again, "I heard right," the three in the bed heard her say, "they're awake." Her head re-appeared again, and her eyes twinkled, "Did you girls make up again properly?"

Cassandra chuckled, "You aren't too old for a good spanking yet Leavy..."

Leavy pouted, and then she grinned, "Breakfast is waiting ladies..."

With that she disappeared again, and the door closed with a soft thud. Syldan looked at her questioningly, "What was that about?"

Denora hugged the younger girl from behind, "That was about you apologizing to milady in a rather intimate way..."

Syldan's eyes darted to Cassandra's, and she blushed fiercely, "I..., I..."

Cassandra hugged her close again, and pecked her nose, "I got the best apology ever."

***

They had breakfast in a much lightened atmosphere, Cassandra canceled the daily council meeting, and they spent the afternoon in the training room. Once they were all warmed up she got out her training swords, and then assisted Syldan in teaching the other maidens various disarming techniques. They trained for hours, and when tiredness started to make itself felt they stopped and retreated to the bathroom. Bathing had always been rather intimate, with her maidens providing all her grooming needs, removal of all unwanted body hair included. But with Cassandra having started to return the favors it had become more intimate still.

So they had a little girl fun in the bathroom, which could easily have passed for additional krujac training, and after they had a good muscle relaxing soak they moved to Cassandra's bedchamber to get properly dressed up again. Dinner was a surprise, except for Polly, who was the only one recognizing the dish. She hopped on her chair, "Ooh, boeuf bourguignon, yummy!" It was a spicy beef stew, with onions and mushrooms, in red wine. It was served with mashed potatoes, and it tasted delicious. "I assume this is a Lorasian dish?" Cassandra asked her infectiously enthusiastic maiden while eating.

Polly nodded with her mouth full, and after swallowing she replied, "Yes, my grandmother often made it. I love it."

They all agreed it was a delicious recipe. "If you're a good girl I'll ask Eldran to make it more often," Cassandra said to Polly with a wink. And then she realized there might not be that many opportunities in her, and their, future anymore. She felt Denora's hand come down on her upper thigh, and giving her a light comforting squeeze, while the other maidens just smiled softly at her. They finished dinner, and then moved to the nearby couches. There had been a time when she preferred one of the two large comfy armchairs, except when Brando was around of course, but nowadays she automatically went for the center of one of the four big couches, so her maidens could sit next to her.

Once she sat down Leavy and Vala lowered themselves next to her, and the other four installed themselves on the opposite couch. Polly's grandmother became the first topic of conversation when Vala asked where in Loras she hailed from, and how she had ended up in Nigawa. Polly explained her grandmother was from Bourg, a town just south of Soudra, and that she met her grandfather, who was a horse trader, when he stayed the night in town, on his way back from the horse market in Delyon. The two fell in love, and after they married she went with him to his home in Soudra.

Her father was born there, in Soudra, but when relations between Nigawa and Loras soured, as they did on a regular basis, the family had moved north to Coltan. Her grandfather had established a large stables there, which had convinced her father to become a farrier, as the two businesses would mix rather well. And so Polly had grown up with horses, and her grandmother's delicious cooking. Cassandra had been listening attentively, as she wasn't familiar with the details of Polly's ancestry either. While listening she realized once again how much she cared about these girls, how desperate she was to keep them safe, and what keeping them safe would require.

After Polly finished her story Cassandra cleared her throat, "I don't want to spoil the mood, but we need to talk... You're all very concerned about my future, but I'm as worried about yours. Should the orcs not want to negotiate, your safety will be in peril, and nowhere will it be in peril as much as here in Bromodin. That's because this is the place where the orcs will come to celebrate their victory, and we all know what celebrations like that will probably entail for any young women belonging to the defeated party that are still hanging around." She looked at Polly, "You would no doubt be much safer with your family in Coltan." Her eyes glanced along the other faces, "And the same goes for all of you."

You could have heard a pin drop, and then, as usual, Denora was first to react, forgetting all about decorum. "You can forget about that. I'm not going to leave you behind to face this all alone." She was just the first, a loud tumult resulted, when the other girls chimed in.

Cassandra wasn't offended, she was humbled, by their display of selfless support. "Okay," she said, "I get it, that was a bad suggestion..."

Silence returned, and then her senior maiden spoke again, "We're in this together milady, we all flee Bromodin, or we all stay." She glanced at the other maidens, who all nodded their agreement. "With all due respect, this isn't negotiable," Denora concluded.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

That night it was Moiga and Polly's turn to keep her company. Once the crystals had been shut off, and darkness had descended, Polly's voice sounded softly, "Why can't it always be like this, why do we have to have war?"

Her question surprised Cassandra, and it was Moiga that answered, "Because there will always be those that envy what others have, and won't shy away from violence in order to get it."

She was very right. "Another reason is blaming the wrong party for atrocities committed, and then take unwarranted revenge on them," Cassandra added, "which is what got us this war."

Polly's voice sounded timidly, "Their leader, this Bashuk, he knows the Nigawan army was misled, that it was all just a mistake caused by the evil actions of another orc tribe. Why didn't he put the blame on them? Why didn't he go to war with them instead of with us?"

Cassandra sighed, "Maybe he did take his revenge on them. You have to realize though that our army killed his wife and children, together with the rest of his people. If I had come home to find Brando and our children dead, and all of Nigawa massacred, I'm pretty sure I would want retribution too." Her junior maiden snuggled closer, and then she started to weep softly. "Oh Polly," Cassandra whispered, "don't despair, with a little luck nothing bad will happen to you."

Moiga snuggled up against her from behind, "Polly isn't worried about her own fate..." she whispered, "and neither am I."

Cassandra felt wetness on her back, and she swallowed as she realized what it was, and what her maidens were communicating. She wanted to comfort them, but what with? Her own future looked bleak indeed. She kissed Polly's blonde head, "Let's just enjoy life while it lasts... Enjoy what we have and hope for the best..." Both maidens snuggled even closer, and they all went to sleep in a tight embrace.

The next morning Cassandra woke around nine o'clock again, to a soft kiss on the back of her head. "Good morning," Moiga whispered behind her.

Polly was still sleeping, and she watched her lovely features for a while, until the door to the living room opened without a sound, and Denora sneaked inside. She came over to the bed silently. "Breakfast is ready," her senior maiden whispered.

One of Polly's eyes opened, "Breakfast?"

"You weren't sleeping!" Cassandra accused her junior maiden.

Both Polly's eyes were open now, "I was!" she exclaimed. Cassandra lifted an eyebrow, and Polly giggled, "Well, mostly..."

They had breakfast, and then her maidens dressed her, in black this time. Once dressed she asked Denora to inform the council there would be a meeting at eleven o'clock. During this meeting she instructed all the department heads to prepare messages for all the officials in cities and towns couriers could still reach, to inform them of the changed situation, should a surrender become reality. The last thing she wanted was for people to still get themselves killed because they weren't aware the war was over. She also asked Colonel Valco, who replaced the absent General Marecomb, if there had been any further news from General Kiran.

1...456789