Casus Belli Ch. 06: Darkness Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The answer was no, and there hadn't just been no news from Kiran, there hadn't been news from any of the units that went to Roha. It was a bad sign, as it probably meant the orcs were blocking them. She ended the meeting, and by the time they were back at her private chambers it was lunch time. Polly had made sandwiches, the smoked trout version this time, which was a nice surprise. During lunch they decided to have another krujac training session, because self-defense had never seemed as important before as it did now. Late in the afternoon, while they were busy training, the trumpets announced an arrival.

Cassandra could think only one thing; Brando. She was too afraid to walk over to one of the two windows though, and so she waited on her girls to report. Vala was closest, and after looking outside for a couple of seconds she turned towards her, "It's the delegation, it's Marecomb!"

The announcement stunned her for a moment, there was no way Marecomb could be back from Roha already, he couldn't even be back from Nadrac already. She straightened, clasped her hands in front of her chest, and greeted the others, ending their training session without as much as a word. The other girls reciprocated, and then she led them off the mat and out of the training room. "We won't bathe?" Denora asked.

Cassandra shook her head, "No, we won't even change." The girls looked surprised, and so did the two guards manning the desk at the reception room when they entered. In the latter case surprise almost immediately turning into respect, as they took in their sweaty Kangess, and her equally sweaty retinue of maidens, dressed in krujac gear. She winked at the two men in passing, "Yes, these girls aren't to trifle with, they know how to defend themselves, consider yourselves warned..." The girls in question giggled at the appreciative glances it got them.

***

They walked down the hallway, and entered the conference rooms, which were deserted; they were first to arrive. She moved passed the main room, into the adjoining second room, which had a much larger table, and thus offered more seating. Sitting down at the head of the table she gestured for her maidens to sit to her right and left. The girls sat, looking nervous. "This concerns all of you too," Cassandra said, and then they waited for the delegation to arrive. First to arrive were some councilors though.

Sir Hardin looked surprised as he first noticed the waiting girls. "Your highness," he greeted Cassandra with a small bow, and then "Ladies," followed by another small bow. The ladies were clearly uncomfortable with the situation. The charming widower walked around the table, and then put his hand on the chair next to Polly, who was sitting farthest away on Cassandra's right side. "May I?" he asked, looking at the petite blonde maiden.

Polly giggled, "Yes, of course Sir."

Hardin sat himself down, and he had barely done so when Sir Durro and Sir Jordan came in. "Oh my," the latter said, taking in the girls, "this looks pretty dangerous..." The girls all giggled this time, and as both men bowed for her Cassandra couldn't help but feel respect for them. These men were all nobles too, all three of them, so they were facing a likely death penalty also, and they still clearly managed to keep their spirits up.

Once they were seated Sir Durro's expression sobered, "Even if they only had to go as far as Nadrac, the delegation should have arrived back around this time tomorrow at the earliest. Have there been any new developments?"

Cassandra shook her head, "No, nothing I'm aware of, I'm as surprised as you are."

Sir Durro nodded, and then footsteps announced further arrivals. Four additional councilors entered, and then, finally, Marecomb came in, followed by Burgon Magwick. Cassandra anxiously checked their faces, but they showed nothing. Both men took a bow, and Cassandra couldn't hold back anymore, "You're back early. Did something go wrong?"

Marecomb looked at the Burgon, who gestured back at him, after which Marecomb cleared his throat, "No, not as such, your highness." He paused for a moment, "When we arrived at Nadrac we were informed the orcs had put up camp just outside archery range of the southern gate. So we quickly arranged for a parley."

Cassandra frowned, "But..., to Nadrac and back, that's at least three days by coach."

Marecomb smiled, "We were both cavalry men once, your highness, the Burgon and me, and we might not be young anymore, but we aren't old men yet either. We went by horse, and we took plenty of spare horses with us."

Cassandra nodded her understanding, and Marecomb paused while the rest of the council came in. Once the late comers were seated Marecomb continued. "I'll start with the good news. Up to now, assuming Bashuk told us the truth, no civilians have been harmed by the orcs, unless they took up arms against them. Also, except for the damage resulting from combat, there has been no looting and burning of property."

The young Kangess sighed relieved, "Thank the gods."

***

Marecomb nodded, "That was the really good news... When we told Bashuk we were there to discuss surrender terms he just laughed and told us the orcs were going to engage and destroy all remaining Nigawan military units, and sell all prisoners of war they made into slavery. Once that task had been completed the civilian population was going to lose all possessions, except for the clothes on their back, and become serfs to the orcs. And lastly all the nobles were going to be rounded up and executed, exactly as had been promised during the parley at Bragstone, should we decide not to surrender."

The General sighed, "I begged him to reconsider, and he then explained that our resistance had cost him many good warriors, and that we now shouldn't complain about the price we would pay for that, because we had been warned beforehand. I started to argue that the commoners hadn't been part of that decision, that they were as innocent as his own people had been, and after some serious begging and groveling he conceded. He accepted our surrender demand that the common people are not to be harmed in any way." He glanced at her maidens, "Servants to the nobles included."

Cassandra let out another relieved sigh, but her maidens kept looking worried. "I then switched to the issue of the captured soldiers, and basically told him selling them off into slavery would be against the military code of honor. He laughed at that, and said that an army that lowered itself to massacring females and cubs deserved no mercy. I explained what had happened beforehand, how these soldiers had been confronted with the massacring of our own woman and children first, and how this had blinded them. I also told him most of the commanding officers had been nobles, that it hadn't been the rank and file instigating the bloodbath."

"I then told him about the terrible losses our soldiers had already suffered, at his army's hands, about the tens of thousands of men killed and maimed in this terrible war. And lastly I told him that the army wouldn't surrender if doing so meant slavery, that they would then fight to the end. Bashuk shrugged at that, and answered that it would be a pleasure to kill them all. I then asked him how many warriors he had lost already, and how many more he would be willing to pay for this pleasure. I asked him what kind of commander he thought that would make him. He was silent for a while, and then he conceded."

"All the soldiers that got captured already, and all those that surrender, will become prisoners of war, to be released after they take an oath never to oppose the Green Vale orc army again." Marecomb swallowed, "He then went on to explain that any soldier breaking this oath would be summarily executed when apprehended." Marecomb looked down for a moment, before continuing, "This brings me to the nobles, I didn't have much leverage there... I simply tried to get him to show some mercy, work on his good side so to say. I begged and begged, and then I begged some more."

"He then told me, in rather gruesome detail, what he had found returning home, after our army paid his family a visit. I then explained to him that our nobles would burn their mansions and castles, before fighting his warriors to their last breath. It made no impression. I was out of arguments, until I thought about my own family, when my kids were still young. I told him that the nobles probably could be convinced to surrender without resisting, and even accept death, if he promised to spare their children. He stared back at me for a while, and I swear I saw something change in his eyes, and then he told me he would be willing to spare the nobles, if they freely accepted slavery."

Cassandra trembled with relief because, unlike death, slavery wasn't the end. "And then, entirely of his own accord," Marecomb continued, "he told me no one was going to be sold to Mercandon slavers." Cassandra squeezed her fists close in relief. Marecomb's face had darkened though, "I realized this was the best deal I was going to get for the nobles, so I asked him what fate he had in mind for our Kangess, and he answered that wasn't negotiable, and that I shouldn't push my luck any further than I already had. To which he then added that should you try to escape, the deal concerning the nobles would be off."

The young Kangess swallowed, and her maidens whimpered. "I'm so sorry Cassandra," Marecomb said, in a lapse of protocol, "I truly am," and she felt he meant it.

It took her a moment to regain her calm, she straightened after she did, "No news regarding our missing army commander?"

Marecomb shook his head, "No, and I didn't ask the orcs, in case he got captured and managed to hide his identity."

Cassandra looked down for a moment, telling herself no news was good news, and then she looked up at the faces of the gathered councilors, "Good, we surrender then..." she said with all the authority she could muster.

***

Her announcement led to some consternation among the gathered councilors. She got up, and put up a hand to silence them, "We haven't a ghost of a chance to win, prolonging this war will only see more soldiers die, and this way we'll at least protect the civilian population." She sighed, "Those nobles preferring death over slavery are still free to make that choice..."

Marecomb cleared his throat, "I got a whole list with surrender conditions. Basically the army has to lay down its weapons immediately, and everyone who takes up arms against the orcs after our surrender will be put to death, regardless of who they are. The nobility will be expected to gather at Bromodin, for the official surrender, which will take place at the summer solstice."

"That's a tight schedule, "Cassandra interrupted him, "especially for those in the northern shires, and that's without taking the fact we can't communicate with half the country into account."

Marecomb nodded, "Bashuk told us that if we agreed to these new surrender terms he had ways to guarantee free passage for couriers throughout the orcish occupied parts of Nigawa, and also for nobles traveling to Iriskan. He also told us to provide him with the needed notifications for those we might not be able to notify in time, on light parchment no larger than half a foot square, which he then will make sure will get delivered in time."

"By utilizing those bat-like messenger lizards of theirs," Cassandra said with a nod of understanding.

The General swallowed, "We also have to warn the nobles not to try to escape the country, because the orcs will execute anyone they catch doing so, and any commoners assisting them will meet that same fate." He thought for a moment, "Another stipulation is that all male personnel will be required to leave Bromodin before the summer solstice, except for the minimum number of Royal Guards needed to ensure safety, who will then be required to lay down their weapons once the orcs arrive."

Cassandra frowned, "What is he planning to do with the female servants?"

Marecomb shook his head, "I know what you're thinking, but he assured me he only wants for the female servants to stay on in their normal capacity, because he's planning to take up residence at Bromodin with his staff. He assured me none of them were going to get molested." The General's face turned red, "He told me there would be enough 'noble whores' around to satisfy all the sexual services he and his men were going to require."

Cassandra understood his anger; the General's wife was probably too old to be of interest, but he had daughters her own age. He also wasn't the only one in the room whose female offspring were probably going to end up servicing orc cock. Still, it was better than the executioners block - or was it?

***

They spend another hour or so discussing the best way to break the news to both the commoners and the nobles, which included the content and the destinations of the notifications they would hand the orcs to deliver. If Bashuk kept his word not much would change, effectively, for the commoners, but for the nobles it was another matter entirely. The nobles would lose everything except their lives, and there was nothing they could do about it. Her maidens, meanwhile, were clearly ill at ease, and it took her a while to understand why. It was because they were going to escape unscathed, while all the others present wouldn't.

Realizing the reason for their discomfort Cassandra told the councilors to wrap things up without her, and then she quickly led her maidens out of the conference rooms. "I'm sorry," she said, once they were outside, "I should have realized much earlier how uncomfortable this made you girls." She then had to brace, as six girls piled in on her. The Royal Guards at the doors to the reception room were some fifteen yards away. "We're being watched," Cassandra whispered to no one in particular. The spontaneous group hug dissolved as quickly as it had formed, and the guards smiled as they went inside past them.

They ended up in the bathroom, where they finally got out of their sweat soiled krujac gear. Moiga filled the huge tub, while Polly added the Angkor scented bath salt. When the tub was full Cassandra led the way into the steamy water, and as she sat down at the center of the tub the maidens followed suit, forming a circle around her. No one had spoken a word since they hugged in the hallway, and now they were sitting in silence too, until Syldan spoke up. "You'll have to flee, and I'll go with you, to help."

A short silence fell, and then the other maidens spoke out their agreement, and their willingness to help, one by one. It was heartwarming, but it was also impossible, "If we flee, and get caught, you will all be executed. I don't want you girls to take such a risk for me. But I can't flee anyway. Didn't you hear what Marecomb told us all? If I flee the surrender deal for the nobles will be off, they will all be executed. It's my task, my duty, to protect all of Nigawa's people, and that includes the nobles too..."

Six heads dropped, and Syldan's voice trembled when she spoke again, "It isn't fair, you did nothing to wrong them, the orcs I mean."

Cassandra shrugged, "I know, but that's the way it works I'm afraid. I inherited a whole kingdom, but I inherited its obligations too."

They were looking up at her now, and there were tears again, "From what we learned, these past months, about how these orcs behaved, I can't believe Bashuk would execute you," Polly whispered softly."

"Yes,"Syldan chimed in, with a flicker of hope in her voice, "the orcs, as far as we know, have always acted with honor up to now. Where would be the honor in executing a young woman who wasn't even in charge when this hideous crime against their people took place?"

There was truth in their words, "But you all heard what Marecomb said," Cassandra replied, "my fate wasn't up for negotiation."

"And as it's the habit with humans to execute the leader of a defeated enemy, he, and you, assume it's the orc way too..." Denora said softly, "But Bashuk isn't human, isn't he?"

"No," Cassandra answered, "I see what you mean." She replayed Marecomb's words in her mind, and realized the General could easily have misinterpreted Bashuk's words. Maybe the orc had assumed Marecomb was looking for special treatment for his leader, in which case his answer just meant special treatment wasn't up for negotiation.

"When Bashuk told you, at the parley in Bragstone, that all the attractive noble women were going to be offered the chance to go to the brothels instead, he didn't make any exemptions, didn't he?" Syldan said.

Cassandra slowly shook her head, "No he didn't, but as I told you already, he didn't know who I was then..."

"Just think about it," Leavy insisted, "there are thousands upon thousands of orc warriors, no orc females we're aware of, and he just agreed to place all Nigawan women, except the noble women, out of bounds. These orcs are going to find themselves seriously short on pussy, so excuse my language milady, but they would be bonkers to execute a fine piece of noble ass like yours."

There was a lot of truth in what Leavy just said, actually there was a lot of truth in what all her maidens just said... Casandra blushed as the consequences registered.

"Yeah," Leavy said, "by the looks of it there won't be any lack of sex in your foreseeable future..."

Cassandra was in turmoil, she had barely accepted death, and now she was looking at accepting slavery instead, in its most humiliating and intrusive form. Her lover and betrothed had wanted her to accept such a fate, if need be, but where was Brando? Was she ever going to see him again, or was he laying on a bloody battlefield far away, nothing but food for the crows, like all those others slain? Her walls were crumbling, and she remembered the last time they had come crashing down on her. That time Brando had been there to save her, but Brando wasn't here now, Brando was...

"No!" Someone was cradling her face with her hands, and she realized it was Leavy's voice she just heard. Tears were blurring her sight, she discerned blue dots on white, lined with silver. Leavy's face, hovering just in front of her. "No," the platinum blonde repeated, "don't go there, stay with us." Cassandra felt "us" close in on her from all sides, and then a dozen arms embraced her, held her. "Brando is just missing, and you aren't going to get executed, that's ALL that's important right now," Leavy's voice continued soothingly.

"Whatever happens, wherever they take you, we will be there for you," Denora's voice sounded determined from behind her, and the embrace tightened, as the other maidens expressed their agreement.

Her walls started to firm up again, and Cassandra looked up from the ugly face of despair, that had been staring up at her from within the depths of the abyss. She blinked her eyes, and the blurred image in front of her slowly came into focus, and turned into Leavy's loving face. "I'm sorry," the platinum blonde whispered, "I only wanted to get your thoughts away from death, and give you something to cling too. Like me, you like sex, and I wanted you to embrace that. It's the only thing that can save you from what's coming."

Cassandra felt herself slowly relax in her maidens' embrace, as her mind reorganized itself around this new reality. "As long as Brando isn't dead there's hope, that someday, somewhere, we could be together again, isn't there?" she whispered.

Leavy nodded slowly, "Yes," she agreed, "but not if you let this unfortunate event destroy you."

The young Kangess swallowed, "Before he left the last time, as I've mentioned before, Brando made me promise that, if we lost, and I was offered a choice, I would choose life over honor. I asked if he really wanted me to choose an orcish brothel over the executioners axe, and he said he would. He said I would survive the brothel because I loved sex, and that you never knew what the future would bring. He said nothing was forever, including an orcish occupation."

1...456789