Centaur Love Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One Herd Master shouted out "A few rocks and some tiny fireballs that just burned the paint off of his shield. Will this partly show really help us when the enemy is shooting arrows and swinging steel swords?"

"Mage Felicia Fellis will you re-step into the circle please?"

Felicia stepped into the circle next to her father.

"Can you answer Herd Master Miller questions?"

Felicia nodded and stared at Herd Master Miller. "Herd Master Miller, I used two spells with the minimal potential I could use. I could have accelerated those rocks fast enough to break Herd Master Andersons shield with just one hit. Also I could have used a fireball but the potential of the fire splashing over his shield and hurting Herd Master Anderson was too great, so I used the lowest potential fire lance I could cast. If I casted them, at full potential or power, they would have burned holes through his shield and into him. I did not want to hurt him, just show him, and everyone else. I can separate klatha into spells. And just so you know, I am only an apprentice mage, and have been learning magic for only a month now."

"Only a month! I don't believe it," Herd Master Miller shouted.

"If you have a shield, or you could ask Herd Master Anderson to borrow his. Then I can repeat my demonstration at full potential."

"I, uh, that's alright Mage Fellis."

"Thank you for your explanation Mage Fellis."

Felicia nodded, and then turned and stepped out of the stone circle.

"Now does anyone else wish to comment?

"I have one question Clan Master, we have other centaurs that were shorter in stature, but not with full blown HGDM, why haven't they become mages? Why only those with HGDM have this potential?

Clan Master Benton looked at Herd Master Fellis, Johnathon turned his hands, then turn and looked at Mathew.

Mathew nodded yes.

"I don't know Clan Master Benton, but I have someone here that could answer that question. My daughters Mate and her Mage instructor, Master Mage Mathew Lindrose."

"Master Mage Lindrose, step forward."

Mathew stepped to the edge of the circle.

"Inside if you please Master Mage Lindrose."

Mathew stepped in, then nodded to the Clan Master.

"Can you answer Herd Master Mason's question Master Mage Lindrose?"

Mathew was about to shout, but instead canted a small spell that amplified his voice. "Yes Clan Master Benton I can. Herd Master Mason, you asked why some centaurs who were short but not short enough to be considered someone with HGDM. Why didn't they start throwing magic around, without testing them or knowing them, they may or may not have had the potential to separate klatha from their body to cast a spell?"

"As to why, those with HGDM have the best potential, is because centaurs are a mix of human and equine DNA. How the gods did it, we do not know. However, every Centaur has a sixty, forty mix of genes. Sixty percent being equine or horse like. I say that is because centaurs genes are like no other horse species genes. But similar to horses. As Grand Master Dorthan, first seat of the western mage council explained it to me, some centaurs have a forty, sixty mix and they are a few hands smaller, they are still less likely to have enough human genes to fully control klatha or regenerate it."

"Only those with a twenty, eighty mix have enough human genes to have that potential. My mate, not only had the potential but she has the gift of regenerative growth of her klatha stores. Which means the longer she practices her magic the larger her klatha stores will grow."

"How powerful will she be," Clan Master Benton asked.

"That is an unknown Clan Master Benton. Every mage who shows regenerative growth has the potential to be unlimited. Most never, reach that, most wells, the term mages call their power reserve, usually fills up with in nine to ten years after they first start learning magic. Very rarely, and I mean rarely do some continue growing there well, throughout their whole life. Their given the title, Grand Magnus. But there has not been a grand Magnus in three or four generations."

Master one more question if you don't mind," Clan Master Benton asked.

Mathew nodded.

"Did you specifically test your mate before you asked her father for her hand?"

Mathew smiled, "No Clan Master, we sort of found out the long way."

"The Long way? Please explain."

"You see Clan Master all centaurs are classed as magical creatures. Sorry for the term, I personally didn't make it up. Magical creatures refer to those that carry some klatha naturally, most have anywhere between five and eight klatha floating in their system, just enough to activate a powered magical items. Like a cantrip. In this case several items around my farm have their own power reserves but need someone to activate the spell or cast it, giving the klatha in the power reserve direction on what to do or providing a point of klatha to activate it."

"Instead of testing my mate the traditional way, I just gave her a trainer box to teach her how to pull the few klatha she naturally carried, to use the powered magical devices on my farm. When she learned how to pull and control the klatha, I tested her to make sure she did not have a limited supply type of klatha reserve. The next day we found out her reserves grew a little over night. It was then that we knew she had the potential of being a mage. Just like any muscle, if you exercise your power reserves, they will grow bigger, but at a slow, steady rate."

"A few days later my Uncle, a Master Elite mage retested her. Not only was her well, refilling every night like most young mages. But her well, was growing at an unbelievable rate. It was then that we changed direction and started teaching her magic like any young mage,"

"And before you ask, the short way or normal testing procedure is the mage takes the child and pulls all the klatha from a child, then records how much he or she had. Then repeats the test the next day. Most people heal one a day, a potential mage will heal all the klatha pulled. Sometimes they heal all of it and add one."

"Thank you Master Mage Lindrose for explaining that. Does anyone else have a question for the Master Mage?"

Herd Master Mason asked, "Are we sure this human is a mage?"

Mathew closed his eyes and canted a blip spell. He teleported himself to the center of the circle. Then looked at Sir Fellis and he nodded to Mathew. Mathew reached out a hand and slowly lifted Johnathon a few feet into the air. Then slowly lowered him back down. Then asked, "Anyone else need more proof?"

None did, or wished to voice them at that time. Mathew nodded to them and stepped back over the brick circle.

"Now the issue before the Herd Masters do we strike the law of seclusion for victims of HGDM or keep it. An aye will strike the law, a nay will keep it on the books."

Mathew reached over and took Felicia's hand. Johnathon in a loud clear voice said, "Aye!"

Then Herd Master Anderson stepped to the center, laying his shield down. If an apprentice of only a month can do this, imagine what she could do with in a years' time. "Aye."

There were three more Aye's before the first nay.

Mathew did not look up to see who said the nay. No reason to hold a grudge for someone who voted his conscious.

In the end, there were five more nays to thirty aye's.

"They ayes have it. The law of seclusion is no longer. Those with HGDM will no longer be force. To seclude themselves. Now in light of this development I am purposing that we form a new Herd. A mage herd. One that would train young mages in the ways of magic. Those families with mage colts would be allowed to petition the newly appointed Herd Master to join this herd so their colts could be trained in magic."

Herd Master Miller, spoke up. "There is only one mage centaur at this time, and our laws prevent mares from leading a Herd."

"I am not arguing if we allow a mare lead a Herd. Besides she herself has stated that she is only an apprentice."

Herd Master Miller looked up, "If you're talking about her human lead this new Herd. That is preposterous! It has, never been done. Besides this is a centaur council!

Herd Master Mason spoke up, "That is not so Herd Master Miller. A human started my own herd. One of the builders of the great causeway bridge. He was human, and fell in love with mare. A full size mare remind you. Even when the funds ran out for the bridge, he stayed working on it. For his effort, he was given the title of Herd Master of the masons. He gave the gift of cement to the centaurs and taught us all his knowledge of building. Yet his thirty-year love affair with his mate produced no colts, so they elected an heir, and as sign of respect to his Herd Master he took the last name of Mason."

Herd Master Mason looked over at Mathew, "Master Mage Lindrose, there is no doubt who Clan Master Benton speaks of, what rights, aside of being mated to a centaur do you claim to lead this Herd?"

Felicia pushed Mathew towards the circle giving his hand one last squeeze. He stepped into the circle again. He looked up at the thirty six centaurs. "I claim this right by talent and skill. I am a Master Mage a title bestowed on me by the Eldar of the Elven Nation, and confirmed by one of their Master Mages. Master Sexitorius of the Eastern Mage Society told me the Elven mage society agreed in granting me the title."

"I also can, and will claim the title of Grand Master of the western mage council by rights of defeating the second seat of the mage council in single magical combat. By Council law, all mages can challenge council seats in personal magical combat. If succeeded, the title of Grand Master and the councilor's seat is theirs by right. I am also a proven warrior with over a dozen hobgoblin kills. Lastly I am the only one here qualified to teach your colts magic."

Herd Master Mason nodded, "You have no reason to lie Master Mage Lindrose, so I will accept your words as truth."

Johnathon spoke up, "Clan Master, Herd Masters, I will vouch for the truth of his words, my son and daughter will also, and we also have someone here that will vouch for his words. You all know who he is, but yet to be introduced to the centaur nation. As will the first seat of the mage council in Kingsholm."

Herd Master Anderson cleared his throat, "If we are accepting that we have centaur Mages," Then pointed at his shield, "And they can do that with just one months training. Then I say 'Aye' to having a mage Herd and a human Herd Master who taught her that, in a months time."

Nearly all the rest agreed and said 'Aye'.

Clan Master Benton looked around. "Do we all agree to this?"

They all nodded yes.

In a loud voice Clan Master Benton called "I Clan Master Benton, with over sight of all Herd Masters here by proclaim. The establishment of a new Herd under the leadership of the Human, Master Mage Lindrose. With all rights of a fully recognized Herd. Herd Master Lindrose will you take Northern part of the Herd Masters circle, just to the right of your former Herd."

Felecia took his hand and they walked to the north side of the circle. All Herd Masters stepped out of the circle and Clan Master Benton nodded to Herd Master Lindrose. Mathew stepped back into the circle. He looked around at the gathered Centaurs.

"My fellow Herd Masters, and gathered Centaurs. Today is a great day. We have established a new Herd, a herd of mages. Though we are a small herd at this time, in time, we will grow. Not only in size but in power. That may frighten some, but as the Herd Master of the mage herd, and all who will follow. I will say here and now our Herd is only to serve this council, and offer advice. We will never accept Clan Master Status. This Herd is here only to serve the Centaur Nation."

"In a few days, with the permission of this Council, I will announce where and when we will test your colts for the mage potential. We will test all colts, those with, and those without HGDM. But those with will have the greatest potential of having this gift. I ask that you think of your colt, not you or your Herd. But of all the Herds as a whole. Magic is a gift from the gods, and this Nation will be greatly enhanced with it."

Mathew bowed, then lifted his hand and called a cold ball. He used his water separation spell and filled the cold ball with ice. Increasing its size until it took two hands to hold it. With the help of a tractor pressor spell, he flung it straight up in the air. At the apex of its flight, he cast a disruptive discharge spell and released all of the magical energy in the ice ball. Exploding it into a million little pieces. The sun reflected off the tiny ice crystals as the fell down to land as tiny water droplets.

Mathew was walking back towards Felicia as he heard the collective 'ahhh'. But he was thinking of how to reduce the disruptive discharge spell to make the ice chunks larger to inflict some damage on the battle field.

< Very impressive my brother. >

Clan Master Benton walked into the circle. "Thank you Herd Master Lindrose. I have one further announcement. We all know why we have not been receiving any shipments from the east. That is why we have called the reserves to arms. A large Hobgoblin army now occupies the northern coastline. They have effectively cut our nation off with the east. We also have learned that this is not just a local problem but also effects those over the catamount Mountains with a second army of Hobgoblins on the central plains causing havoc."

"So our original plan was to fortify our nation and wait for the High King to respond. At this time, the High King is on the northern Continent fighting with the ogres and ogre-magi. We do not expect him to come to our aid anytime soon. We recently learned that the hobgoblins have attacked our nearest neighbors the elves of Woodshome. They took some casualties. But have temporarily driven them off. But they know they will return. To that end they have sent a representative to our nation seeking an alliance to join together and remove this threat to our nations."

So I would like to introduce Ambassador Goldenroot to all the herds," Mathew saw Zane walk up to the edge of the circle. "Ambassador Goldenroot, will you please step into circle so all the herds will know you and welcome you to our Nation."

Zane walked in and bowed in the elven way to them, "I thank you all for the warm welcome in our combined times of need. I come as a representative from my Eldar ReLanna, leader of the elven people in Woodshome. I come seeking an alliance between our people to rid our lands of this Hobgoblin threat. To that means I come seeking an audience with your Herd Master to discuss the possibility of an alliance."

Zane bowed again to the herds. Clan Master Benton stepped next to Zane. To that means, I am calling a war council of Herd Master tomorrow at the ninth hour past mid-oh-night. I will sent town criers to all Herd Masters at the eighth hour. I will call a general herd meeting when all issues have been decided on. That way everyone will have their say."

"I call today's general Herd meeting to a close."

As if a silence spell was lifted, hundreds of conversations started as the neatly packed centaurs started to move around greeting friends and family. Herd Master Fellis walked by, "Come along Herd Master Lindrose, come meet your fellow Herd Masters and welcome the Ambassador."

Felicia touched Mathew's hand. < I am going over to Herd Anderson to see if Rebecca came out today. >

Mathew looked at her walking, not knowing she knew other mares. < Who is Rebecca? >

< Another shut in. Herd Master Berret Anderson was one of fathers sword students. I met Rebecca and her mother just after she was born. She is Herd Master Anderson's fourth cousin. I visit her every time when we visit. >

Mathew stepped up the group of Herd Masters, "Welcome Herd Master Lindrose." Hands and words of welcome were thrown at him.

< Did you find your friend? >

"So how bad is it in the east Fellis?"

"Not sure Dover, I havnt been over the Catamounts in a year, Got most of the news from Lindrose's Uncle, near two weeks old."

< Yes, she is crying in my arms. >

"So we won't know anything new for months."

"Lindrose was in Kingsholm, what three days ago?"

< Are you all right? Do you need me to come over? >

Mathew look up at them, "Yes three days ago, the only new news was the High King was sending some Duke or Baron to organize a conscription army."

< Tears of joy love. She is free of seclusion. Unless you can get free and come over to test her, I promised her that she would be the very first centaur you test. >

Herd Master Dover laughed, "I see talking to you Lindrose is going to take adjustment, for me, Kingsholm is a six week journey over Hurley pass with a good team and a light load."

Mathew laughed, "I am sorry sir, but the longest journey I have ever taken is a three day journey by cabriolet. Every fall, my parents took me to Tor Spire Mountains, a town called Crow's Nest. Where they rented a cabriolet and traveled up to Duren's Delving."

"Dwarven country, you have traveled some. They say giants live in those mountains too."

"If they do, I never seen one, but that is maybe why we always stayed in inn's along the way."

Herd Master Dover laughed, "Maybe or it might be that it is rather chilly at nights at that heights."

Mathew was grinning when Clan Master Benton spoke up, "Ok Herd Masters time to socialize with the herds. Remember to listen to their reactions and be sympathetic to their views. We will discuss them tomorrow. If it requires our immediate attention, some of us will be meeting at Johnathon's place to celebrate Herd Master Lindrose's appointment. I was told all are welcome and to bring your mates and colts."

"Johnathon, you're taking Mathew and showing him the ropes?

"Yes Clan Master."

"Come along Mathew." They started to walk into the crowd. He looked down as Mathew with a grin, "Mainly we talk to the herds, to get their reactions from today's decisions. Some do not like voicing their opinions to their own Herd Master, so we make ourselves approachable for the afternoon. Most likely you are going to get a lot of questions of when you're going to test the colts, be vague, and say you will send a town crier when your Herd Master commitments are done."

"Yes Sir."

"Herd Master Fellis, Herd Master Lindrose, Nathan and Ellen Mason for herd Mason." Mathew nodded with a smile, as did Johnathon. Herd Master Lindrose, you said you would be testing colts with HGDM, our colt is small for his age, but not small enough to be declared with HGDM." Mathew heard Ellen Mason say, "Thank the gods," under her breath. "Will you be testing them as well for magic?"

Mathew smiled, "Nathan, Ellen Mason. Yes, I will, at this moment, we do not know when, but as soon as we are finished with the war council, I will make the necessary preparations and send out town criers as to when and where. Just keep in mind your colt will need to return the next day to retest and get the results."

Another Centaur approached Johnathon, "Herd Master Fellis, today's ruling about making those existing farms rotate watering at night. Are we running out of capacity on the irrigation system?"

"No, usually four farms share a gatehouse, and they also share the expense when it needs repair. The issue was these two end farms have been the only ones using this gatehouse. They recently just rebuilt it, not knowing a new farm was going to be built. In dry years the four farms rotate water times, two having to water at night to share the water for all farms. These two farms did not have to do that, just rotate days who waters. Since they will now have to start rotating days and nights, they wanted the new farm to do just nights since they just paid to rebuild the gatehouse. Which the new farmers thought unfair...,"