Close friends on Grand Cayman Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Once you enter the water with a giant stride from the back of the boat, confirm that you are good on your regulator and start to descend to check that you have adequate weight. If you think you need more it's easier to come back up from 10 feet than from 80. Just let us know that you are okay. Then head down to the mooring pin. We will all gather there before heading to the wall. James will lead you into a small opening at about 50 feet that will angle downward and comes out on the wall at around 85 feet. It is a little narrow so be careful not to rub against the side since it looks like none of you guys are wearing wetsuits. Scrapes from the rocks along the passage won't look good for your tans! If you aren't comfortable going through the narrow spot, just swim along the top of the wall following the bubbles of the rest of the group and you will see everyone else coming out of the crack. At that point, James will either turn right or left depending on the direction of the current and we'll follow along for 15 minutes or so around 85 foot depth. Please try not to exceed 100 feet. Keep your computers happy. An angry computer means, at the very least, sitting out the next dive. We'll come by to help everyone into their gear and get you into the water. If no questions, then let's go diving!"

Excitedly, we all made our way to our gear spots and went through the process of checking that tanks were on, getting into the BCD, putting on fins and masks and waiting for help to get into the water. As I mentioned earlier, no one in our group was using a wetsuit. The water was plenty warm during our previous snorkels. I was helping Liz get her arms through the BCD arm holes and in doing so, her bikini top kept slipping down exposing her nipple. She just laughed it off. I knew it wasn't a big deal for the others in our party and I got the sense that Jen and Sara weren't bothered. I also noted that they, like us, weren't using wetsuits. I was looking forward to all the sights that I would encounter on this dive.

Excitedly, we started the entry process. Our friends were on the side of the boat to enter the water first. Jen and Sara followed them and then, Liz and me. The initial shock of water temperature was only short lived. Once I adjusted my gear, confirmed my weight and started down to the mooring pin I realized that the water was a perfect temperature. Liz's suit had crept up making it look more like a thong but I wasn't about to complain about it for fear that she'd correct the situation.

James asked us for the OK sign as we got to the rest of the group and it was time to head out. I was pleased to see how everyone was doing on the buoyancy control. Divers who aren't that comfortable or out of practice sometimes bounce up and down and can stir up sand and sediment reducing the water clarity for those following behind. Everyone in our little party looked comfortable. The initial crack that we swam through was a bit narrow and I ended up taking up a spot at the end of the line with Rachel behind me. Exiting onto the wall is something that everyone should experience. You emerge into a wide-open sea with nothing but blue water in front, below and to either side of you. It's difficult to get an appreciation for the true magnitude until you turn to the side to see the descending reef wall disappearing into the depths. It's breathtaking!

We followed our plan, cruising along the wall at about 85 feet. I had brought my GoPro camera and was glad that I had as two eagle rays swam past us going the opposite direction followed by a nice sized reef shark. We have learned over the years of diving that if you want to scare away a reef shark, just swim towards it. If you remain still, they may cruise closer and that's what I did being rewarded with a nice video clip as the shark came within 15 feet of me. They are magnificent creatures and are designed perfectly for effortless swimming.

The last half of the dive had us ascending to the top of the wall so that we were in water between 40 and 50 feet. The reef looked extremely healthy and there were many typical reef fish. Liz pointed out a sea turtle in the distance but it looked like it was headed to the surface to breathe. All to soon, we were back to the area beneath the boat. The divemasters checked that everyone was still good on air and then headed to the surface while we could poke around on our own. Liz and I were taking our time looking in small cervices and holes when we heard someone knocking on their tank to get our attention. Jen signaled us to come over to where she and Sara were exploring and, peering down into a small hole in a coral head, I saw the opening and shutting mouth of a spotted moray. They may look menacing, but their behavior is how they move water over their gills. Like most reef fish, the closer you get, the more they retreat into their safe spot.

My dive computer started beeping advising me that my bottom time was nearing an end and to start ascending for out safety stop. I caught Liz's eye and gave her the "going up" signal and, together, we moved closer to the boat and began our ascent to 15 feet. Hanging out for 5 minutes was no big deal when the water is so clear you can see to the bottom and watch out for other fish life. When it was time to get back on the boat, I let Liz go ahead of me and then saw that Sara and Jen were both ready to get out as well. I had plenty of gas in my tank, so I motioned them to go on. The T-back bathing suits that they were wearing made me glad to be chivalrous.

Excited conversations were happening as our group scrambled onboard and got out of gear. Sharks, rays, turtles....it was a great first dive and I could tell that our divemasters were pleased that we'd all had a great time. That usually results in good tips!

We had a bit of time for the surface interval before our second dive and Captain Rachel was asking if anyone had any particular wishes.

"Not a particular wish," said Jen. "But everyone should know that the next dive will be Sara's 100th."

"You know what that means," said Liz. "You've got to do it naked."

A cheer went up from all of us. I was now even more excited for our second dive.....


12