Cody Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Finally I couldn't take anymore, and returned to my hotel to clean up for dinner. I shaved and changed into fresh clothes. I left the hotel through the back door and made my way to the edge of town.

Looking around to make sure I wasn't being watched, I picked a handful of flowers. Ingrid would be delighted with the flowers, but they could not be seen. It would make me look soft and vulnerable, and even worse make Hans and Ingrid a target if anyone wanted to hurt me.

I had scarcely knocked on the back door of their store when the door was thrown open and I was once again embraced in a tight hug by Ingrid. I allowed myself a brief moment of love and happiness, my contentment was compounded by the look on her face when I presented her with her flowers.

She closed her eyes and smelled their sweetness. "Thank you my boy, they are beautiful. I hope you are hungry. I have made plenty of food for that Texas sized stomach you have." She didn't wait for me to answer, instead ushered me to the table where Hans was waiting for me, already nibbling on Ingrid's cooking.

As always Ingrid did not disappoint. The food was piled high and as always tasted amazing. Sometimes Western men go days between real meals, but when given the chance to eat they don't waste it. I sat back after filling myself and enjoyed a fresh cup of coffee, unable to eat another bite.

Finally I got to the point, "So tell me what is going on in Cody?"

Hans' eyes narrowed before he replied, "I kinda wondered if you would show up sooner or later. Some good people are getting hurt, and I am afraid it is going to get much worse soon. Old man Parson's has the biggest spread around, but he can't be content with what he has. I think he is one of those people that has to own everything they lay their eyes on, and won't stop until he gets it. And as bad as he is, his son is even worse."

I thought about how arrogant Alfie sounded today. "Yeah, I was listening to him over at the saloon, he has a mighty large opinion of himself. So who do they have their eyes on?"

"Well let me tell you a story years in the making. The Collins came to Cody twenty years ago and was one of the first ranchers in the area Since they were first of course they staked out the best location, about an hour North of town. They run about a thousand acres, but their real asset is the natural springs and small streams that run throughout their land."

I thought back to the days when I first came to Cody, "I remember that little valley. I had often thought that it was a perfect place to start a ranch."

"Yes, they have done well there. A few years ago Parsons and his son came to Cody from the East coast with a bag full of money. No one knows anything about their past, or how they came into all their money. He started buying up all the land he could to the North, he has roughly about five thousand acres now. The problem he has is getting enough water for all the cattle he is running. Since the Collins ranch is full of water, he decided that it was his right to buy it, Mr Collins does not agree."

I knew where he was going, "Let me guess, after hearing Collins say no too many times he decided to start hiring guns to pressure them?"

"Bingo, but here is the wrinkle to his plan. Parsons' son Alfie is totally obsessed with one of the Collins' daughters. They have two daughters, Nancy is probably nineteen now, and her younger sister Clara is around fourteen. The Collins women are all blessed with beauty and Nancy inherited more than her fair share."

"I overheard Alfie bragging today how they would be wed soon. I wonder if she knows that?"

"I imagine she would just as soon die as let that happen. About three years ago, Nancy started blossoming into a young woman and of course all the boys started courting her. She always fancied a young boy called Smiley who lived a few ranches over. It was a foregone conclusion that they would be wed in the near future. One day, the Collins were in town shopping and Alfie happened to be in town at the same time. He looked at Nancy and proclaimed in front of everyone right then that she was the best piece of flesh he had ever seen and he was going to make her his wife. Well of course she didn't take that very well and let him know in no certain terms that it would never happen and informed him that Smiley was twice the man he would ever be."

"I think I would like to meet this young man."

"You can't. Every Sunday he would have dinner with the Collins family so he could talk with Nancy. One evening he didn't come home, they found him the next morning, his feet were tied together with his rope, the other end tied to his saddle. He had been drugged for miles. They said it was a pretty gruesome site."

My heart went out to both of their families, I was going to enjoy killing the Parsons. "Was it Alfie?"

"Of course the Parsons seemed surprised and saddened to hear about it. Smiley's parents sold out to Parsons and moved back to Missouri. A few weeks later the Collins were in town and Alfie walked right up to Nancy all smiles and said "I hear there is an opening for a new man in your life, I am ready to take you home."

I just shook my head "This kid has some nerve doesn't he?"

"Yeah, it got a little ugly there for a bit, I thought Jed Collins and Alfie were going to shoot it out in the street but luckily the town marshall was able to intervene. Nancy has become a recluse ever since, barely leaving the house. I think Alfie is a little crazy in the head and is tired of waiting. The Collins usually come to town every Sunday, so I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie tries something tomorrow."

"They are coming to town tomorrow, no wonder Alfie and his gunmen are lounging around. I will be ready and spoil their plans if they try anything."

Chapter 3

I was up early the next morning, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, and I couldn't wait for my present. I took apart and cleaned my pistols, making sure they wouldn't fail me when I needed them. Finally satisfied, I made my way down to the dining room for a light breakfast and coffee.

Hans had informed me the Collins were creatures of habit. They would come to town every Sunday morning, drop off their order at the store and have lunch at the hotel while Hans filled it. After lunch they would do the rest of their shopping before picking up their wagon full of supplies and heading back to their ranch.

By midmorning I was leaning against the wall around the corner of hans store. The Collins would usually tie up their wagon, drop off their order and cross the road to the hotel for lunch. I would make sure they didn't have any troubles today.

From where I leaned, I could see both sides of the road, and who was coming and going. Keeping the brim of my hat down so not to be noticed, I would appear to be dozing, not watching everyone's moves.

Sure enough, the Beck brothers exited the hotel with Alfie and two other rough looking gun hands. They sat on the benches in front of the hotel trying to look innocent, but I knew better.

They didn't have to wait long before a buckboard came down the street and stopped in front of the store. Mr Collins went in the store as Mrs Collins and her younger daughter composed themselves after the trip. Hans was right, the Collins women were indeed blessed with beauty.

By the time Mr Collins came out of the store, the five of them were standing at the edge of the road waiting for them to cross. I realized they intended on slaughtering the entire family, and the Collins had no idea it was about to happen.

Mr Collins came out of the store, offered his arm to his wife and daughter, then started crossing the road to the hotel. Alfie and his men took a few slow steps towards them.

"Well Mr Collins, so nice to see you again." Alfie said as he had the biggest smile on his face, knowing what was about to happen.

"Alfie" Mr Collins nodded to him as they slowed seeing everyone spread out before them.

"The boys and I were just getting ready to ride out and pick up Nancy and bring her home, I have been waiting long enough."

Before Mr Collins could reply, and possibly trigger the shooting, I interrupted them. "I don't think so."

One of the Beck brothers looked over at me, "Keep your mouth shut, or you may find yourself de.."

Before he could finish his sentence, I drew both my pistols and put a bullet through each of the brothers' hearts before they had a chance to react. The two other gunfighters reacted quickly and started drawing their guns but I put two more bullets into each of them before their guns cleared their holster.

The look on Alfie's face was priceless, his four best gunfighters lay beside him, dead.

"How about it Alfie, are you going to draw, or run back and cry to your daddy?"

He didn't like it, but he wasnt stupid either. He knew if he even motioned towards his gun he would be laying there as well.

He slowly raised his hands "This is all a big misunderstanding, I just wanted to court Nancy and you started shooting everyone."

"If you open your mouth again, I will put a bullet through it. Slowly, like your life depends on it, and it does, reach down, unbuckle your gun belt and let it fall to the ground. Remember, if you open your mouth I will fill it with lead."

He didn't like it, but he was staring death in the face. With one hand he unbuckled his gun belt and let it fall to the ground, keeping his mouth firmly shut.

"Now, since your friends here won't need their guns or horses anymore, they are mine. Do you have a problem with that?"

Still afraid to open his mouth he just shook his head no.

"Good, now turn around, and start walking back to your ranch. On the way back, you need to learn some manners, I will not let you off so easily next time."

Without a word, he turned and walked out of town. I knew that he wouldn't learn a thing. His response would be to bring twice as many men next time.

Mr Collins turned to me "Do you mind explaining what all this is about?"

"They have been waiting for you since yesterday. Their plan was to kill you Mr Collins, if one of the ladies got in the crossfire, even better. They were going to goad you into drawing, or saying the wrong thing so their killing you would be justified."

Mrs Collins gasped loudly and put her hand to her mouth.

"Then they were going to ride to your ranch, kill anyone who got in their way, take Nancy and the ranch as their own."

Mrs Collins was crying now, realizing how close they had come to dying, and how much danger they were still in. She grabbed her husband's arm and tugged him back, "We need to go home."

Mr Collins loaded his ladies into the buckboard and was gone before Hans had a chance to load their order.

About that time the livery owner ambled up to me "Damn, I never thought I would see the day when the Beck brothers were outdrawn. Looks like I have work to do today."

As in most western towns, the owner of the livery also doubled as the undertaker. I gave him five bucks. "If their horses don't have the Parson's brand, sell them along with their guns and tack. Deposit the money with Hans, keep twenty for yourself."

"Yes sir!"

I turned towards the hotel but quickly ran into the town marshall. "Stop right there! I am keeping you for questioning."

Knowing the marshall would have been bought and paid for by the Parsons, I wasn't having any part of going with him.

"Marshall, I respect your position here, but it was a fair shooting. Now you know if I am faster than the Beck brothers, I am a hell of a lot faster than you. What I am trying to tell you here is that you let me know if you want to talk, and I will. However there is no way in hell I am going to be locked up in your jail."

The town marshall didn't like it, but he knew by the look in my eyes that he wouldn't live to see the end of the day if he tried taking me in. "Don't leave town until I talk to all the witnesses."

I just shook my head and walked to my hotel, ignoring the puppet.

**************************************

The next morning I was up early and made my way to the general store to see what Hans had to say about yesterday's events.

Monday mornings were usually a little slow at the store so we were free to talk without having to worry about eavesdropping customers.

"Well Isaac, you certainly shocked everyone yesterday. People viewed the Beck brothers as unbeatable, and you made them look slow as molasses in January."

"They thought they could intimidate me, and I would back down. I am sure they weren't ready for me to throw down that fast."

"I am worried about what will happen now. They lost their four best gunfighters, and you embarrassed Alfie. You are forcing their hand, and it may get ugly now."

I shook my head in agreement. "Suggestions my friend?"

"Well, the Collins left in such a hurry I didn't have time to load their weekly supplies. I know they will need them soon. Why don't you load up a couple pack horses and deliver them, see what they are up against?"

"That sounds like a good idea, how many guns does Parsons have riding for him?"

"From what I have observed and heard, they have about thirty men, ten are regular riders who take care of the ranch and cattle, twenty more ride the ranch boundaries, slowly pushing cattle onto his neighbors land."

"Any women?"

"None that I know of, Aflie and his dad came alone. I don't think they have much respect for women."

"That will make things much easier. I am going to see if I can find some pack horses, give me a couple of hours."

"No problem my friend, make sure you are staying safe."

I let myself out the back door and took the back way to the livery. I doubted if anyone was gunning for me already, but you could never be too careful. The livery man seemed nervous when I entered.

Rumors were flying all over town and someone remembered I was the kid from the canyon. Now everyone knew who I was and how many men I had killed. Naturally this made people nervous if they were in the same room as I was.

"What did you find out about their horses?"

"Alfie's horse had the brand of his ranch, the others had the Beck brand, so I guess that means they are yours sir."

I looked at the livery man who was sweating bullets by now. "Are you an honest man?"

"Yes sir."

"Then relax, I only have issues with those who prey on the weak. If you are an honest man, you will never have a thing to worry about with me."

"Yes sir, thank you."

"I have a proposition for you. You keep the four horses, saddles, everything. In return I need three pack horses with pack saddles. I will give you a bill of sale for the four horses in case anyone has any objections."

Pack horses were a dime a dozen, and outlaws rode nothing but the best knowing that speed and stamina would often be needed to outrun the law or a posse. Knowing he was getting a hell of a deal the livery man quickly agreed.

"Please have them ready in an hour along with my two other horses. I want to get on the trail right away so have the paperwork ready."

It was a little early for lunch, but I didn't know when I would have the chance to eat a real meal again. I returned to the hotel to check out and have an early lunch. I knew I needed to leave town regardless, people were just too nervous to be around me.

I was sitting in the corner of the hotel restaurant when the town marshall came in with two deputies. They all looked scared to death so I made sure I kept my hands on the table. I didn't want one of the green deputies to get nervous and start shooting.

"Good morning Marshall."

"Mr Colton, we have decided that you will not be charged in yesterday's shooting, however the city council insists that you need to leave town."

I am sure he was ready for me to refuse and throw it in his face, so I shocked him instead. "That is acceptable Marshall, will you give me an hour to finish my meal and settle my debts in town? I don't want to leave town owing money to anyone."

The look of relief on their faces was immediate and the mood in the room suddenly became a little lighter. "That would be acceptable Mr Colton, good day." With that they turned and left before anything else could be said.

I picked up my horses from the livery, wrote him a bill of sale for the Beck horses and returned to the general store to load them up. Hans and I did not talk much while we loaded them, neither of us wanted people to know we were close friends, information that could cost him money or even his life.

When I was loaded I once again left Cody, possibly for the last time. On my way out of town I stopped by the graveyard to visit Desi's grave. I stood there for several minutes remembering our short time together, her long hair and that beautiful smile. A tear rolled down my cheek, I softly whispered "I am sorry Desi."

Chapter 4

I slowly rode North, taking my time so I could think as well as watch out for Parsons riders. After a few hours on the trail I entered the valley that encompassed the Collins ranch. It was different than I remembered from years ago, but I had to admit they had built a first class operation. The cattle were being rotated so the grass didn't get overgrazed, they dammed up small streams and cleaned out some water holes.

I rode towards the ranch, directly ahead of me lay the main house, with another smaller house to one side. The ranch buildings were laid out in the shape of a horseshoe, with two houses at the top, two barns, and a tack building flanking the sides.

I immediately saw what a powerful defensive position the ranch had. Anyone trying to assault from the road leading to the front would be caught in a crossfire from several buildings. The outer walls of all the buildings were heavily fortified and allowed fighters to move from building to building under cover.

I froze as I heard the click of a rifle hammer being drawn back. Moving very slowly I just stopped and spread my hands out wide.

"State your business." A woman's voice came from inside the closest barn. I am sure she had her rifle trained on me, but I had no idea exactly where she was located in the barn. She was back in the shadows while I had the bright sun in my eyes. A very smart woman.

"Is this the Collins' ranch?"

"It is."

"The Collins placed an order at the general store yesterday, but left without picking it up. Hans asked me to deliver it to them."

She sat there in silence debating on what she should do next. I am sure the ranch didn't have many visitors anymore, but it was hard to argue with a man with three full pack horses.

"Okay, coming out. Don't make any sudden moves and we will get along just fine."

When she came out she stunned me in more ways than one. Initially I was floored by her incredible beauty, no wonder Alfie was out of his mind with lust. I hated to admit it, but she was probably even more beautiful than my Desi.

As she got closer, I was shocked.

She had my eyes.

Not the steel gray color of mine, hers was a beautiful dark brown.

We both shared the eyes of someone who was dead inside, consumed by hate. We didn't know what to make of each other so we just stared at each other's eyes for a couple of minutes.

"Ma'am, my horses are a might thirsty, would you mind if I watered them before you show me where you want the supplies unloaded?"

She stared at me for a few more moments trying to decide what to make of me. "Of course." She turned and motioned to a horse trough that was shaded by the barn.

I dismounted and led the horses to the water trough. I am sure it irritated her when I kept one of the horses between us at all times. She did after all have a gun and a hatred for men.

After the horses were all watered, she motioned towards a hitching rail in front of the barn. "Tie your rides here and we will lead the packs up to the house."