Cody Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She didn't say a word to me while we were walking to the house, I gathered she was a woman who didn't make much idle talk. She led me between the two houses and motioned me to tie up the horses. Again I was impressed by the strategic placement of the houses. Both houses had kitchens that faced each other with doors exactly across from each other.

In a fight or even a bad storm, both doors could be opened and supplies tossed to each other without exposing anyone to gunfire. I hoped they would never have to put their design to the test.

"Mother, we have a visitor."

The door of the main house kitchen opened and Nancy's younger sister was the first one out. She took a look at me, let out a squeal and launched herself into my arms. Nancy looked at me oddly confused by her sister's reaction.

"Thank you for saving us.'' She said as she tried to squeeze the life out of me.

I peeled her off me, "It was the right thing to do."

She looked at me surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"You left in such a hurry you forgot your supplies, the general store asked me to bring them to you."

By then Mrs Collins and an older Mexican woman had come to the door. I tipped my hat to her, "Mrs Collins, I brought your supplies from the general store."

"Forgive me, but I do not even know your name, but thank you so much. Please call me Anita, and this is Consuela. My daughter with the hugs is Clara and my daughter with the rifle is Nancy."

"My name is Isaac Colton ma'am."

"Come ladies, let's get the supplies inside. Nancy, will you show Isaac to the spare room?"

"MOTHER" she said in a very disapproving tone. "Since when do you let strange men sleep in the same house as your daughters?"

"Nancy, this strange man saved your father and I from being gunned down in the street by Parsons men. He also saved you and Clara from being forced into marriage or possibly worse at the hand of the Parsons. The least we can do is offer him a warm bed for one night and a hot meal."

"Mrs Collins' I would appreciate a hot meal, but I believe everyone, myself included, would feel much better if I slept in the barn."

"Very well, let's get these supplies in. Nancy when we are done show Mr Collins a comfortable spot in the barn with some fresh straw for his bed. Help him get his horses put away."

"Please ma'am, Isaac."

She nodded her agreement and looked at Nancy.

Nancy did not like it, but she respected her mother. "Yes mother."

I helped carry the supplies into the two homes. Clara made sure she kept smiling and giggling at me. She was becoming a young woman herself and was practicing her flirting skills which I made sure I politely ignored as much as possible.

When we were done, Nancy did not even speak to me, instead she just grabbed the leads of two of the pack horses and walked back towards the barn. Following her, I couldn't help but appreciate her figure as she walked in front of me. She led me to the corral, tied them off and headed into the barn.

She was really pissed at the thought of me staying with them, but she wasn't going to challenge her mothers orders. She walked to an empty stall, threw two scoops of straw down before turning to face me.

"I owe you a debt of gratitude for saving my parents lives, but if you even think about touching Clara I will slice you open before you can blink twice."

The way she said it kinda pissed me off, I know she had been harassed by Alfie for the last few years, but I had done nothing to warrant her attitude. Instead of showing me even a hint of gratitude, she was threatening me. I guess that's what happens when you have eyes like ours. Still I decided to put her off balance.

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What if I even think about touching you?"

I have never seen such a range of emotions flash across someone's face so quickly. Anger, curiosity, fear, hate, arousal all flashed across her face. Finally it settled on rage and she threw the pitchfork at me and stormed out. I guess I had my answer.

I spent the next hour tending to my horses and throwing my bedroll in the stall Nancy had given me.

Hearing some horses walking into the yard I made my presence known to Mr Collins. He rode with an older Mexican man beside him. Trailing along behind them were two younger versions of the old Mexican who I assumed were his sons. They were immediately on alert at the appearance of a stranger.

"Mr Collins, good evening sir."

He looked surprised to see me, but recognized me immediately from the previous day. He dismounted his horse and walked towards me. When he extended his hand I was expecting a handshake, but instead I was pulled into a bear hug.

I was really confused, men didn't hug, men didn't show emotions. But here I was getting mauled by a middle aged man.

"I owe you everything, thank you." He said to me while squeezing me.

Finally he stepped back and finally extended his hand for the handshake I was expecting. "Jed Collins son."

"Isaac Colton sir."

"What are you doing here?"

"I brought your supplies from the general store. Also, there are some things we need to discuss sir, when we have some time. Maybe after dinner?"

"Yes, that would be fine. He gestured to the men standing behind him. This is Miguel, my ranch foreman, and his sons Felipe and Richie. Amigos, this is the hombre who saved us yesterday."

All apprehension left them and they each stepped forward to shake my hand, except for Miguel who also hugged me. "Thank you senor for protecting my friends."

Jed put an arm on his foreman's shoulder, "I will let you get home to Consuela, will you be available to talk tonight Miguel?"

He shook his head, "Of course senor, whenever you need me."

"Come Isaac, let's see what the women have prepared for us tonight."

We walked in the front door of his home. He yelled at the top of his lungs, "LADIES, I AM HOME."

It must be a nightly ritual as they all came to greet him. What a strange family showing this much emotion.

His wife gave him a hug and kiss, then moved to me, I was paralized with fear when she hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. "Welcome home men."

Next came Clara who flung herself into her fathers arms like she did to me earlier. "Hi dad, I missed you today." She squeezed him and gave him a kiss before she eyed me.

She tried to repeat the hug and kiss with me, but I wasn't having any of it. I gave her a half hearted hug and pulled away. I felt a little guilty seeing the hurt look on her face, but it lasted only a second before she stepped back with an amused look to watch Nancy.

Her father took her into his arms gently, stroking her hair softly while whispering in her ear. It seemed like he was comforting her and I felt uncomfortable watching this display of emotions. Finally they stepped apart, I watched Nancy flush with embarrassment when she saw me standing there waiting.

I made it easy on her. I tipped my hat to her "Ma'am, good evening, can you tell me what smells so good?"

I think she was relieved she wouldn't have to show me the affection that the rest of her family bestowed on me.

Anita said "Men, as soon as you wash, dinner will be ready."

I followed Mr Collins, washed up and followed him into the dining room.

Clara was beaming. Seated at the head of the table of course was Mr Collins with Anita to his right. Beside her sat Nancy. To the left of her father sat Clara and she proudly directed me to the seat beside her.

Dinner was wonderful. Not only was the food great, but Clara was very animated, keeping everyone laughing and talking throughout dinner.

Finally she turned to me. "Isaac, how old are you?"

"I am twenty four, how old are you?"

"Almost fifteen. Have you ever been married?"

I quietly replied "No."

"Neither has Nancy, you should court her while you are here."

"CLARA!" Nancy shrieked at her with embarrassment.

"I reckon not."

Nancy kind of looked at me in surprise, Clara didn't miss a beat. "Why not?"

"Several reasons."

Clara wasn't taking my vague answer and pressed the issue. "Name them."

"There are many. First Nancy is way out of my class, she deserves someone like a king or governor. Second, I am a drifting gunman who is lucky to see his birthday every year. When I am done here I am planning on riding to Montana for a visit. And lastly, how will I be able to court you next year if I am courting her?"

That shut her up and embarrassed them both much to the amusement of their parents.

*************************************

After dinner Mr Collins asked me if we could take a walk.

No sooner were we out the door when Miguel appeared at his side.

.

Once we were out of earshot of the house I began talking.

"Mr Collins, It is no secret that Parsons has been coveting your ranch. By yesterday's actions I believe their patience has finally worn off. I am afraid soon they will make an attack on the ranch. They have fifteen to twenty gunmen, and no matter how fortified your position here is you won't be able to hold that many off by yourselves."

"I believe you are right Isaac, but what can I do? They have already hired every available gun, besides I couldn't outspend him anyway. I damn sure don't want to give in and sell to him, but I don't want to risk my family's lives either."

"Is there any place you can send the women?"

"No, and even if I could they wouldn't leave."

"OK, let's start making a plan of defense and see if we can get you all through this and alive."

"Isaac, not to seem rude, but why are you here helping us? I know Parson's would gladly pay you triple what I can, and you don't know us from Adam and Eve."

I hesitated not wanting to say too much. "Let's just say I have an aversion to men like Parsons hurting innocent families. It's not always just about money."

"I assume you have experience in range wars then?"

"Yeah, that is pretty much all I have known for the last eight years. I can't promise you we will win, or no one will be hurt. But I will give you everything I have."

"OK Isaac, you tell us what to do, and we will make it happen."

***********************************

We returned to the dining room table to discuss plans over coffee. To my surprise Nancy joined us at the table, glaring at me with a challenge in her eyes to argue. We took inventory of their guns and ammo, food supplies, and water sources. I was happy to find out there was a natural seep that they had piped into the main house supplying a constant source of fresh clean water.

"OK, there are several rules that need to be followed at all times. First, no one rides alone. Everyone rides in pairs, and no one leaves the house unarmed, including the women. I assume they can all shoot?"

"Nancy is deadly with a rifle, Anita and Clara are adequate, I don't know about Consuela, Miguel?"

"Si, she can shoot very well."

"Good, do you have any pistols for the women that they can hide in their dresses, small derringers perhaps?"

"No, we never thought we would need anything like that."

"Ok, we will add it to the list of supplies we need then."

"Second rule, and this is important. I know you have a ranch to run, and cattle to take care of, but all of that is irrelevant if they kill you. They will probably start rustling your cattle, leaving an obvious trail for you to follow. Don't fall for it, they will ambush you when you are on their land, and then show the marshall that you were trying to steal their cattle. The marshall is on their payroll, so he will back up whatever they claim."

"He has the law paid for?"

"Yeah, that is pretty standard. Town marshals don't make that much money, so it is easy to buy the law to look the other way."

"That brings up another point. You need to stay out of town. Everyone knows you come to town on Sundays to get supplies, that is how they knew where and when to wait for you. We need to get to town asap to get enough supplies to last a month, as well as pistols for the women, and plenty of ammo for your guns."

"OK, I can have the women make a list right away in the morning. The only problem is I don't know how much credit we have at the store, We were due to sell some cattle in a few weeks."

"Don't worry, the store will give you an open line of credit as long as you need."

"They have never done that before, why would they now?"

"Because I am part owner, although I would appreciate it if that fact didn't leave this table."

"Since when, Hans has owned it since he moved to the area?"

"Several years ago, I had some extra money and bought a small stake in his store, we have been friends for years."

"I see, well thank you."

"Can Clara drive the wagon?"

"Yes, but I can handle it much better." Nancy again looked at me with a challenge in her eyes.

"I am sure you can, but you are also a much better shot than her. I need you to keep your eyes open and be ready to shoot so Clara can concentrate on driving the wagon, I will lead the pack horses. We should be in and out of town within two hours. Hopefully, no one knows we were even there."

Nancy looked like she wanted to argue, but knew I had made a valid plan.

"Ok, what would you like us to do?" Jed said, trying to move the discussion along.

"Start pushing your cattle away from the borders towards the middle of the ranch, don't worry about overgrazing, it will hopefully be temporary. I would keep all four of you together heavily armed. If you see anyone at all, just ride away; they can't kill you if they can't get close. For the moment, survival is the key."

"When do you think they will come for us?"

"I figure we have through the weekend. They will be expecting you to come to town for supplies, they will have men in town and likely on the road to town. We will frustrate them by not showing up and giving them a target. In the meantime we will work on our defenses. Does anyone have any final thoughts or questions before we call it a night?"

"I do." Nancy had that look of challenge on her face again, and I knew it wasn't going to be good. "Who is this man, and why is he all of the sudden in charge of our ranch?"

As fierce as Nancy was, her father was not going to let this issue become a distraction.

"Because I put him in charge. He not only saved our lives, but he knew exactly what they were going to do and when they were going to do it. He is a veteran of this type of fighting and if you value the lives of your family, you will do exactly what he says without any questions asked."

Nancy looked livid, but did not want to disrespect her father, so I tried to diffuse the situation.

"That is not totally true. I welcome questions, after all you all know the ranch better than I. I just want to get through this with all of you alive and hopefully unhurt."

"What about you?" she asked.

"What about me?"

"You don't care if you get through it alive or unhurt?"

"If I am able to kill the Parson's, and you all live and keep your ranch it does not matter what happens to me."

She looked at me with contempt, her hate of men obvious. "We will see if you can back it up when the time comes."

"Agreed, let's try to get some rest tonight and get to it in the morning." Without waiting for another retort I rose and made my way to the stable.

I started to get my bed ready when there was a knock on the stable wall. I looked up to see Miguel standing there.

"Hola Senor. May I have a moment?"

"Of course Miguel, what can I do for you?"

"These are both my families, I love them all more than life itself. Mr Collins took us in long ago when we were very poor, and treated us like their family. I have known Nancy since she was a baby, please be patient with her, she is a good woman. She used to be so happy, fun, and full of life. The Parsons have taken that from her, turned her into something she is not."

"I can understand that, and believe me when I say that I will protect you all, even to my last breath."

"Thank you senor, and I will also protect them down to my last breath."

"Let's hope it doesn't come down to that, but it will be an honor standing beside you."

"Thank you sir, good evening."

Chapter 5

As usual I was awake before sunrise and in the saddle. I scouted around the homestead looking for weaknesses our enemies could use to their advantage. Finding nothing obvious I returned to the barn to start getting the pack horses ready.

To my surprise, Nancy not only had the horses harnessed to the buckboard, she also had the packs on my three pack horses. She glared at me as she cinched the final strap.

"While you have been out joyriding, I have gotten the horses ready to go."

Instead of meeting her challenge, I decided to throw her off balance again. "Thank you, please forgive me. I will try to work harder."

This just infuriated her more. Like me, she had so much built up hate and pain. Fortunately I have had opportunities to release my fury, she had not. She wanted to fight me on everything, the need to release her pain was evident. She glared at me once again and stomped off towards the house.

No sooner had she left than Clara came to collect me for breakfast. The women had been busy, not only preparing breakfast, but the list of supplies needed from town. As I ate I looked over the list before finding a shortcoming.

"What about bandages and medical supplies?"

This statement made the threat they faced very real. Without a word Anita took the list back from me and continued writing.

After breakfast was over, we prepared to leave for town. Clara was almost excited, her innocent youth not grasping the danger they all were in.

"Nancy, I need to speak with you in private before we leave please. I will be in the stable getting my horses ready."

I know she wanted to blow me off just to irritate me, but her curiosity won the battle of emotions. Within a few minutes she stormed into the stable.

"What do you need to talk about? We need to get on the road."

"Have you ever shot anyone, or even shot at anyone?"

I knew she thought I was implying that she was weak, but that wasn't my intention.

"No, I have not."

"Good, and I hope you never have to. But just in case we need to prepare you. Today, let me handle things as much as possible if there is trouble. If we do have trouble, when the time comes, do not hesitate. If you hesitate, there is a good chance someone will die. If you shoot, shoot to kill, no warning shots. Don't stop until you are sure they are dead. You will have your rifle, but I am also going to give you my shotgun, it is deadly in close corners, especially if there are several threats."

For once she didn't seem to hate me or be mad at me. She simply nodded her head and left the stable.

We made good time on the way to town, I was happy not to see anyone. We made a wide circle around town so we could come up to the back of the general store without being seen. Tying the horses and buckboard to the back of the store I peeked in to make sure there was no one from the Parson ranch shopping. Satisfied I motioned the ladies to follow me in.

I immediately went to Hans with our lists. "I would like these filled as soon as possible so we can hopefully get out of town unseen. Tell us what to grab where and we will start loading our horses and wagon."

We all quickly got to work, Hans understanding we didn't want to be seen turned the sign to closed and locked the front door. I shot him a smile of appreciation at the unsaid favor. When we had almost finished, I quietly whispered.

"Hans, do you have any dynamite?"

"Yes we keep it in the cellar where it is cool and damp."

"I need six sticks please."

He returned shortly with a bundle of cloth he carefully handed to me. Dynamite was unstable, and many men had lost their lives from accidental explosions. I gave Hans $100 and told him to charge the rest to the ranch. When I was ready to leave he shook my hand and held it an extra moment.