Cody Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I laid out my rifles and my ammo belt on the grass in front of me and prepared myself for the hardest part. Picking up the dynamite I worked my way around the hill until I was behind the barn.

I climbed over the split rail fence and ever so slowly made my way to the back of the barn. I said a silent prayer to myself that they didn't have any dogs or more Indians and slowly eased my way into the back door.

Once inside I carefully unwrapped my package of dynamite. I placed three sticks in each corner, closest to the house and the bunkhouse. My plan was starting to work out, now I just had to get back to my rifles before it started getting light.

I smiled to myself thinking how perfect everything was going when I kicked a damn chicken. Of course it flapped its wings and started squawking before finally finding a new spot to sleep. I crouched down with my knife drawn.

I thought to myself, please dont come and investigate, it's just a chicken, you have plenty of them. Finally after twenty or thirty minutes my legs started complaining and I slowly rose up and started towards the back door again.

Once out the back door, I quickly made it back across the fence. My moccasins made no noise in the soft dirt of the corral. By the time I worked my way back around the hill I was soaked in sweat, both from the heat of the night, and the stress of the burden on my shoulders.

I laid there and started planning my assault. The walls were just rough sawn boards, so I knew my bullets would easily pass right through them.

I stared at the big house trying to guess where the Parsons bedrooms were. Since it was such a big house, the chances of randomly hitting one of them would be pretty low. I decided I would concentrate my fire on the bunkhouse and save the Parsons for later when I could actually see them.

The eastern sky was just starting to lighten when lady luck smiled on me. One of the Parsons must have had a call of nature. I saw a lantern light up an upstairs room for a few moments, long enough to see a shadow lay back down on a bed before snuffing out the flame.

I had a new target, I decided that taking out one of them was a real possibility if I spaced ten bullets through that window where his bed was. Luckily the house was slightly below me so it would be a nice easy target.

I looked back to where I knew Nancy was waiting, and then up at the sky. It was light enough most of the stars disappeared so I decided it was finally time.

I laid out three piles of shells to reload, took several deep breaths and picked up my first rifle.

I aimed where I saw the bed and started firing through the window, counting the shots until I reached ten.

I swiftly swung the barrel down and started tearing up the bunkhouse, when I reached twenty one I switched out to rifle number two, and then the third.

I quickly started reloading, my years of practice paying off. As I reloaded I watched and listened for their reaction.

I couldn't believe my luck again when I saw a light move into the bedroom window, it was Alfie yelling for his father.

I smiled to myself when I heard Nancy riding down the ridge to the road, I knew she was a woman I could count on.

As soon as I thumbed the last shell into my third rifle I shouldered it and aimed for the light in the bedroom.

This time I emptied an entire rifle into the bedroom knowing that both of my prime targets were there. The next two rifles I again let loose on the bunk house. The second I was out of shots I laid down the rifles and started running around the hill to the back of the barn. I quickly climbed up into the loft and found a crack I could see through and observe.

I was no sooner settled when I heard Nancy take off down the road with both horses. My plan was working perfectly as it sounded like two riders were making a beeline out of there.

My happiness was short-lived when Alfie came out of the house screaming. He wasn't unscathed though, he could barely walk, having taken a bullet through the leg. I had really hoped that my bullets would have killed them both.

Alfie was cursing and screaming for his men, his fragile mind was close to breaking. His men slowly started tumbling out of the bunkhouse, all half dressed, a couple with guns in their hands. I counted nine men, out of the eighteen that were supposed to be there sleeping.

None of the nine were unscathed, three of them were severely wounded. I was relieved, I knew the Collins ranch could easily defend themselves against six wounded men, but I intended on cutting that number down even further.

The key was killing Alfie, if he lived he would just hire another crew, a bigger deadlier crew. He had to die today. Alfie was screaming at his men to avenge his father, demanding they were ready to ride in twenty minutes.

As his men dressed and saddled their horses he finally brought himself under control. He stopped screaming and wrapped up his leg to stop the bleeding.

Once his men were ready to ride he addressed them.

"Bring Nancy back, dead or alive, I don't care. Kill everyone there and burn every building. When you get back, every one of you will get a $500 bonus. If you bring back Nancy alive it will be $1000 for each of you."

I saw the men's attitudes change from defeat and hesitation to excitement. Most of these men would never have the opportunity to make $1000 in a year, let alone in one day. This is what I didn't want to happen. It was time for the next phase of my plan.

The minute the gang started riding down the road, I started lighting matches and throwing them in piles of hay and straw while heading to the back door again. The dry tinder caught quickly, and by the time I jumped over the railing and around the hill, smoke was rolling out of the barn windows.

I ran around and made it back to my rifles without being seen, by then the six men had rode back into the yard and were trying to pull what they could out of the barn before everything was lost. Alfie reverted back to a screaming madman.

I knew what was coming so I took cover behind the hill, and waited for the fire to reach the dynamite. As I lay there, I started to get nervous when nothing happened. Did the dynamite get wet at some point? Surely they hadn't found it in time. I was just contemplating taking some shots with my rifle when the dynamite went off.

Even though I was laying on the other side of the hill, I could still feel the shockwave in my chest. Then chunks of wood started falling from the sky. I covered my head the best I could but still took a couple shots as debris fell on and around me. After a minute, the large pieces stopped falling and I uncovered my head to look around.

I have been in countless battles, and had never seen such devastation. Burning pieces of hay and straw fell from the sky like burning snowflakes. Half of the house and bunkhouse were completely gone, and everything was on fire. I made my way down the hill and around the undamaged side of the bunkhouse, I had to make sure Alfie was dead.

I heard a few weak cries for help. Since I was taking cover when the dynamite exploded, I wasn't sure where Alfie had been. Leaning against the undamaged wall of the bunkhouse, I peaked around the corner looking for him, or his body.

Bodies were scattered around the yard. Most were bent in ugly grotesque positions, the dynamite had done its job. I shouldered my rifle and started walking around the yard, looking for Alfie's face on the bodies.

A coughing cowhand staggered through the bunkhouse door with a gun in his hand. I quickly put two bullets in his chest and waited to see if anyone would follow him.

Suddenly someone hit me in the back with a sledgehammer and the front of my chest exploded in a shower of blood. I staggered forward, jamming the muzzle of my rifle in the dirt to stop me from falling completely over.

I turned to see Alfie facing me, he was a broken crazed man by now. His face was bleeding from dozens of small cuts, a sliver of wood was sticking into one of his eyes. He must have been in his house when the dynamite went off. He was screaming at me while pointing a pistol at me. He shot me again, another hammer blow to my chest.

"You killed my father!"

Panic filled my thoughts, Alfie was alive. Nancy wasn't safe. Fuck.

My rifle was useless, I was using it as a cane to stop from falling over, the barrel jammed in the dirt. I dropped my right hand to the butt of my pistol, but my vision was blurry and I couldn't even grip it. Alfie saw me trying to pull my pistol and emptied the rest of his pistol in me. One of the shots caught me in the leg causing me to finally fall to the ground.

I saw him standing over me, his pistol pointed right between my eyes. "After I kill you, I am going to ride over to the Collins and fuck Nancy and her little sister. I am going to tie their parents up and make them watch. Then I am going to kill them all."

I am a failure, as close as I came, I still failed her. I couldn't even speak, the blood was leaving my body too fast. Suddenly Alfie lost the look of rage, blood sprayed out of his ear and he fell forward onto me. I vaguely realized that someone had shot him, but who?

"Get off my man."

Nancy! Nancy was safe.

She didn't ride home like she was supposed to. What a woman, but she broke her promise to me. But now she was safe, and my sacrifice was worth it.

I smiled and closed my eyes. I could die now in peace.

Chapter 8

I sensed that my face was being washed with a warm washcloth. I thought to myself, that it felt nice.

Why was my face being washed? Were they preparing my body for a funeral? I thought it was funny, I have lived most of my life outside, eating trail dust. Most of my life I had been dirty and they were washing my face to bury me.

"He smiled! MOM HE SMILED!"

I thought to myself that someone was excited, but I couldn't place the voice. It was familiar but I couldn't place who it was. Where was I anyway?"

I heard more female voices, and then someone was crying. She was holding my hand, then started washing my face again. I thought it was nice and went back to sleep.

****************************

The next time I woke I felt a little stronger. My mouth felt wet as I felt a spoon on my lips with some warm liquid.

"Come on baby, drink a little more."

That voice again, and why was she calling me baby? Mom? Was I in heaven, back with my family? I swallowed the warm liquid, and then again. I had missed her so much, it was nice to be someone's baby again. I smiled again as I fell back asleep.

**********************

I felt a pressure on my shoulder, and then heard a voice.

"Nancy, time to wake up."

I felt the pressure leave my shoulder.

Nancy? Awareness flooded my mind. I was alive. Nancy was by my side, she had saved me.

I forced my eyes to open, but I barely succeeded. It hurt, fuck I hurt everywhere. And my mouth felt like it was full of dry sand. I wasn't dead, but at that moment I wished I was.

I tried to speak, but only managed to open my mouth. Nothing came out.

Nancy was sitting beside me, wearing some type of sleeping gown, talking to her mom. But her mom was looking at me.

"Nancy, he is awake."

She spun around and started crying. "Isaac, can you hear me?"

I couldn't speak, my mouth and throat were like sandpaper. So I gave her a slight nod before I fell back asleep.

*********************

The next time I woke I felt slightly stronger again. That is when I realized I was naked. Why the hell was I naked? I was propped up by a pile of pillows so I felt better already.

My mouth and throat weren't quite as raw.

This time I was finally able to open my eyes fully. Nancy was still by my side. As I looked at her, I realized she looked exhausted.

"Hey' I was relieved, I could still speak.

She looked at me with relief and started firing questions at me faster than I could think or answer.

"Hey how do you feel?"

"Are you in pain?"

"Are you hungry?"

"Are you thirsty"

"Can you talk?"

"Do you remember anything?"

I closed my eyes and smiled. She was a mess, and she had saved my life.

"Isaac, stay awake, please. Please Isaac, talk to me please."

She was crying again, I was making Nancy cry, damn.

I opened my eyes and smiled, as much as I could anyway.

"Coffee please."

"Yes!" She jumped up and ran out of the room like her life depended on it. My god woman, it's just coffee.

I was fully awake, but still found it hard to keep my eyes open. I laid there with my eyes closed relaxing. I heard her gasp when she came back into the room and my eyes were closed.

I opened my eyes back up and gave her a slight smile. "Hi."

"Hi"

She gave me that dazzling Nancy smile, I had really missed it. She held the cup up to my lips so I could take a sip, god it tasted good.

After I swallowed, I looked at her and managed to speak more than one word. "Now you drink."

She looked at me funny, "Why me?"

"Because you need it too."

"You need it more."

She raised the cup back to my lips, but I pressed them together tightly while staring into her eyes, sending a message.

"Fine."

She raised the cup to her lips and took a sip, and then passed it to me and I sipped it. We looked into each other's eyes and smiled. Neither of us spoke as we shared the cup of coffee, she would take a sip, then put the cup to my lips while I took a sip.

When it was empty I looked at her.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome, how are you doing?"

"I am tired, I am sorry, I can't stay awake."

"It's ok baby, sleep, get stronger."

************************

When I woke up again it was nighttime. A candle on the bedside table illuminated the room just enough I could make things out. I heard a light snore and saw Nancy was sleeping beside me, curled up with her head leaning against my shoulder.

It hit me that I was in her bed, and I was still naked. I would have to ask her about that in the morning.

The fog was starting to leave my mind, and memories started coming back to me. Alfie had shot me, how many times I couldn't remember. My body was sore and weak, I tried to tuck back some hair that had fallen across her face, but I could barely move my hand.

Tomorrow, I needed to get out of this bed and start getting my strength back. I needed to move on as quickly as possible, before Nancy and I got more attached, before I could bring pain to her.

Tomorrow I will get up, see if I can even get into the saddle.

****************

The next morning Nancy shook me awake.

"Hey, let's get a cup of coffee in you."

Today she had two cups of coffee, smart woman. We didn't talk much while we drank, she would give me a few sips out of my cup, then drink some of her own.

"Do you want to try and eat something today? I was thinking I could make some creamy scrambled eggs that would be easy to eat."

"Yeah, that sounds really good."

"Ok, you need to stay awake today for a while, we need to start getting you healthy again."

She left to cook our breakfast and her father came in and sat by my side. Taking my hand in his he shook it gently.

"Thank you son, we all owe you a debt that can never be repaid."

"You are welcome sir, knowing that you are all safe, and Nancy has a chance at a happy life is all the payment I need."

"Well she has certainly been happy ever since you showed up, and even happier the last couple of days since you woke up."

"The Parsons ranch? Did I get them all?"

"There were a couple of survivors, but they were in pretty bad shape. They took them to town, but I don't know what happened to them. The rest were all buried right there."

"Good."

"Nancy has been a good nurse to you, she hasn't left your side for more than five minutes since she brought you back. I honestly didn't think you had a chance but somehow she willed you to live."

"She is a hell of a woman, she saved my life even if she broke her promise to me."

"Yeah, well if she has her way you will probably never leave her side again."

"Sir, I am riding for Montana, hopefully in the next day or two."

Jed chuckled at me, "Son, you have a lot of mending to do, I don't think you are going to be in a saddle for a while. You took five bullets and lost a lot of blood."

"That must be why I feel so weak. I am sure some food and more coffee will start helping though."

"Don't push it, and when you do get back in the saddle, I may need a little help getting caught up around here while you build your strength. We started building a new bunkhouse for the extra hands we are going to have to hire now."

I laid there confused, why and how were they already building a new bunkhouse.

"Why?"

"Since the Parsons had no heirs, all their property reverted back to the government, but the government isn't in the cattle business. The major from Fort Laramie rode out and struck a deal with me last week. They deeded the Parsons ranch, and all the cattle over to me in exchange for supplying the army with fifty head of cattle each month for the next five years."

Now I was really confused? "How was he here last week? I fought the Parsons only a couple days ago."

Jed looked at me with compassion, "Son, you have been asleep for twenty two days. Nancy has been spoon feeding you broth several times a day while cleaning your wounds."

Twenty two days, no wonder I was weak as a mouse.

"Don't worry, you are awake now, and Nancy will ensure that you get back on your feet soon. She has lots of plans for you."

"Thank you sir, and please don't think I am ungrateful, but as soon as I am healthy enough I am riding out of here."

"Let's worry about that when the day comes shall we? For now I have to get back on a horse, but I wanted to thank you again."

Before I could say anything Nancy rushed back in with a bowl of hot scrambled eggs, and a big smile on her face. She sat on the bed and slowly started feeding me.

"You don't have to feed me, I can do it myself you know."

"Ok, show me."

She placed the bowl and spoon on my lap"

I willed myself to pick up the spoon, fuck I was so weak I could barely lift my hand. I finally got my hand to grip the spoon, but couldn't even pick it up. Is this what I was reduced to? A baby who needed to be bathed and spoon fed?

"Can I help you now?"

Without waiting for me to answer she took the spoon out of my hand and gave me a small bite. They were really creamy, so I barely needed to chew. I felt lower than low, so weak I couldn't take care of myself. Finally I decided to address the issue of my nakedness.

"Nancy, why am I naked?"

"Well, I needed to bathe you, sometimes several times a day, so it was just easier to keep you naked with a towel under you."

Finally the light went on, she had to diaper me like a baby. I felt my face flush with shame and embarrassment.

"Another bite. We need to get some real food in you so you can start getting your strength back. I have kept you alive so far with beef broth, now I am going to get you healthy."

Once she had fed me the bowl of eggs and another cup of coffee I was wiped out. It is pretty sad eating a bowl of eggs and drinking a cup of coffee was tiring.

"I am so tired, I need to rest for a bit."

"I will give you thirty minutes, then I will be back."

I swear I closed my eyes for two minutes before she was shaking me awake again.

"Hey wake up, it's time to get to work."

"Okay boss, what do you need me to do? Chop some firewood, cut some hay, brand some cows?"

She gave me one of those beautiful smiles. "You are going to pay for that mister."

She ripped the blankets off me and threw a towel over my waist.

"Ok start moving your feet."

I stared down at them, willing them to move. Finally they started to move side to side. God that was so hard. I started laughing, such a stupid thing to be happy about.