Come Together Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Talking with Caroline and Charlotte about it a couple of days later, Caroline surprised me by crying, admitting she wanted to meet up with her sister and finally just clear the air. Charlotte kept her face blank, left wondering what she thought. Only in bed that night with both of them did she tearfully admit that the hate she'd carried for so long had ended up hurting herself more than anyone.

"You should speak to her," Caroline suggested, "As your son said, even if it's only one time, maybe it'll just clear the air after all this time"

And that's how I found myself sitting at a nearby pub on a Saturday afternoon, nursing a schooner of beer, a glass of Christine's favourite wine waiting on the table for her to arrive. She appeared right on time, rising to my feet as she looked ever so nervous when walking towards me. Her red hair had faded and there were whispers of grey. Her green eyes were still expressive. She'd aged gracefully though it seemed she did carry a little more weight.

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me, Mark."

"It's been a long time. Take a seat." After doing just that, I had to ask, "How have you been?"

I didn't expect the bitter laugh. "I'll put it bluntly. I well and truly fucked my life up."

"I guess I can't really disagree with that considering what I've heard. The only question I really have after all this time is why you did everything you did. I thought I was a good husband. A good father..."

"The best," she whispered, unable to meet my eyes as her hands fidgeted. Something she'd never done before. "I had the best husband. Wonderful sisters. A mother who adored me. Kids I should have never abandoned. But I was a selfish, narcissistic, self-centred bitch who thought I was owed... I don't know what I was owed. I just thought after having kids and raising a family, I deserved far more than what I had."

"All those guys, Chris..."

"Were a means to an end, Mark. I'm going to say 'It was just sex' and you know that's bullshit. I knew it was bullshit, but considering I was cheating, I needed to justify it to myself. I'll admit, I loved the sex. Really loved the sex. Most of them were not any better than you. Didn't have a bigger cock or anything. It was just different. A physical act. Some figured out how to push my buttons. Others just treated me like a cum dump. A large part of me did like that."

"Really?"

She sipped at her wine before nodding. "I've spent years in therapy unpacking how I fucked up my life, Mark. The most important thing I learned is that I have a dark, jealous streak inside me. And most of it stemmed from the fact I gave birth to our children, yet I was always left thinking they loved you far more. I hated it. Particularly when it came to..." That's when I noticed a couple of tears run down her cheeks. "Could she ever forgive me, Mark? Could our little girl ever forgive me for being such a horrible mother? But I just couldn't handle it. With everything else I was doing, seeing the little girl I'd carried for nine months, and then doted on until I returned to work, her entire world just seemed to be you. And I hated it. Hated it so much. And I hated you because of it."

I had to lean back and stare at her before I whispered, "Wow."

"I told you I was fucked up, Mark. Totally fucked up. All the sex I had was a means to an end regarding my job. I fucked anyone that could help me progress. The guy I ended up living with? We cheated on each other almost from the moment I moved in with him. He knew what I was like yet thought I'd change for him. Thing is, Mark, I still loved you even then. I never loved him."

"And now?"

"No, Mark. Those feelings have died over the years. And I know you're married to Caroline now."

"How does that make you feel?"

"Regretful that I ruined my marriage with you, my relationship with my sister... And that ruined my relationship with my children. Hell, it's only thanks to Mum that I'm here today. I know she's spoken on my behalf a few times."

"What are you doing now?"

"I quit that job years ago because of how it ruined my life. I now make a simple living working at a non-profit. Look after all their legal matters. I live in a small apartment. I have a cat." I couldn't help but chuckle at her tone. She did sound happy enough. "Mark... Would our children... Would they ever want to meet me again?"

"It's been a long time, Chris. Maybe I could talk to them."

"I know I don't deserve it after everything, but I'd love to see them all again."

"Including Emily?"

"I have so much to say to her. I have to apologise for everything. My heart hurts for what I did to our little girl, Mark. I've been to a dark place more than once because of everything."

For the next few weeks, I kept in touch with Christine. So did Mary and Jessica. I mentioned Christine to Caroline and the kids, gauging their interest. Caroline eventually figured it out and suggested we host a barbecue and see what happened. I had to ask if she was sure, as the last words that I knew they'd exchanged had been hateful.

"It's time," she said, cuddling into my chest as we laid back in bed without Charlotte. She was busy having fun with Jessica. "I never truly hated my sister, I just hated what she was doing. But you're right in that we're all getting older, and although none of us are religious, I still believe that forgiveness is a noble thing."

"I'll send Christine a message and see if she's available next month."

Caroline was silent before whispering, "Is she okay, Mark?"

"She's full of regret and sorrow, and she's living a very lonely life. I think she's doing that as penance for what she's done."

The morning of the barbecue, I made sure the entire family was there first. I was at the grill out in the backyard, all the children were lazing by the pool. Mary was lazing on a lounge chair under a large umbrella. Caroline and Jessica were in the kitchen preparing salads and other foods to accompany the meat.

Hearing the doorbell ring, I called out that I'd get it. Opening the front door, a very nervous-looking Christine Walsh, as she'd reverted to her maiden name upon our divorce, was already fidgeting when she removed her sunglasses, and she was already crying. What caught her by complete surprise was when I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around her. Then she just cried even more.

"I should go," she sobbed into my chest, "I don't deserve any of this. You should all hate me forever."

"I never hated you," I heard Caroline state, letting go of Christine as two incredibly tearful sisters embraced each other for the first time in over a decade, "I never hated you, Christy. You're my sister, and I love you."

Christine fell apart completely hearing that Caroline, her little sister, still loved her. We needed to help carry her inside so she could sit on the couch, almost wailing as Caroline held her tightly, lightly stroking her back, Christine just murmuring 'Sorry' again and again. Jessica appeared in the doorway, hearing everything, and she was crying as much as her two sisters, walking over and sitting on her knees in front of the couch to join the group hug with her sisters.

"You're home again, Christy," Jessica assured her, "Give it time, but you're home again."

Once Christine was all cried out, I helped her to her feet and she almost blushed when I held her hand. Caroline and Jessica walked out before me, stopping at the threshold as I felt her squeeze my hand. "Ready?" I asked softly.

She took a deep breath and nodded, stepping out into the backyard, the conversation halting immediately as all eyes fell on Christine. Mary rose to her feet within seconds and walked over to hug her daughter.

"Thank you for coming, sweetpea," Mary stated softly, "I know this is difficult for you."

"I had to do it, Mum," Christine replied.

To my immense pride, Emily was the first to walk towards Christine. I heard her gasp as Christine noticed the beautiful young woman our daughter was. What made me smile even more was that Christine was holding her hands. They stood apart by only a foot or so and gazed at each other in silence for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry, baby," Christine whispered, "I'm so sorry. I was an awful, horrible... I can't say mother. I was barely that at times. I..."

She didn't get anything else out before Emily stepped forward and hugged her. "I forgive you, Mum," she said softly, "I've forgiven you in my heart for a long time now."

I think this was almost going to be too much for Christine as hearing our little girl had forgiven her caused her to fall apart yet again, nearly sagging onto the ground as I had to help keep her up.

Nathan and Alyssa were the next to approach, my son hugging his mother without a word, seeing the delight on her face as our son was a handsome young man, before Alyssa took a moment to simply look at her mother before hugging her too.

Last to approach was Charlotte, her face a mixture of emotions. Christine had probably been aware of how devoted our first-born daughter was to her father. She'd admitted to an ugly jealousy of both daughters, of how devoted they did appear to me. I could have used a million and one excuses as to why that may have been the case, but Christine had held her hands up and said the jealousy was on her alone. Being jealous of her own children wasn't right at all.

"You hurt Daddy," Charlotte whispered.

"I know I did, sweetheart. I'll regret that and so many other things for the rest of my life." Then she noticed the bump on her belly and Christine glanced at me and smiled before looking back at our daughter. "Sweetheart, are you pregnant?"

"Yes, Mum..."

Hearing Charlotte call her that title was too much, mother and daughter both sobbing as they hugged each other for the first time in years. Charlotte glanced at me, and I could only nod my approval, Charlotte closing her eyes and savouring the moment. I was impressed by all my children. This could have been a day of hate-filled accusations and recriminations. While that might come later, the fact the four could find it in themselves to forgive her, and then hug her, spoke volumes about the children I'd raised.

Sitting down to eat was a little awkward, conversation stilted as no-one was sure how to broach particular topics. She was aware that I'd married Caroline, my wedding ring on display during our first meeting, and I'd confirmed the marriage during our third conversation.

"Mum..." Nathan finally stated after clearing his throat, "Mum, I married Natalie."

"Oh... All that matters is that my son and niece are happy together," Christine said with a smile.

"I'm a lesbian," Emily blurted out.

"And we're married too," Crystal added happily.

Christine was up and walking around the table to hug our daughter again. "As long as you're happy, baby... You have a beautiful wedding?"

"We recorded it if you want to watch it."

"Nothing would make me happier, baby."

Heading inside once it was dark, Christine then unloaded everything she needed to say, pulling no punches when it came to admitting everything she'd done. She also admitted to having undergone extensive therapy in recent years to figure out just why and how badly she'd messed up her life. She knew that true forgiveness and being accepted back into our lives wouldn't be easy, but she was willing to do anything to be in all our lives once again.

When she was ready to leave that night, Christine spent half the time crying again, and I was a little worried about her mental state. I eventually offered to drive her back to her apartment, Caroline following in her car so she could drive me home. Caroline hugged her sister first before Christine wanted a hug with me, almost blushing before she ended up snuggled against my chest.

"I was an awful wife for so long, Mark. Hand on heart, I'm glad you found love with my little sister. To be honest, you're just perfect together."

"I guess part of me could be thankful..."

"Can we do this again? Get together one day and just spend time together as a family? I haven't been able to talk about family for far too long."

"I'm sure the kids would love to have their mother in their lives once again. You're clearly not the woman they remember."

"I'm not. I'm glad I'm not."

"You're not dating?"

She shook her head. "I'm avoiding relationships. My focus is on the kids and my family. Anything else is secondary. I want to spend time with my oldest daughter, doing things that mothers and daughters should be doing together. I want to spend time with our twins, enjoying just being in their presence. And Emily... I'll never deserve her forgiveness, Mark, but I'll do my best to make sure our relationship is wonderful going forward."

"That's all she'll want in return, Chris."

Returning home, Jessica and Mary were asleep in bed, leaving me with Caroline and Charlotte to snuggle into me. We didn't make love as none of us really felt in the mood after what had been one hell of an emotional rollercoaster of a day. Caroline was smiling while Charlotte looked content.

I had no real idea what the future was going to bring, but I could only hope that the entire family would come together and live happy lives forever going forward.

*****

A/N - In a few stories, I give the 'villain' of the piece a redemption arc. I'm someone who thinks forgiveness is possible in most circumstances if the 'villain' is honestly contrite and sorry about what happened. Perhaps people will think certain things are unforgivable, but as with other stories, I think the best 'revenge' most people can have is moving on and living well.