Crew Harmony

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The reverse arrangement immediately looked better. Michelle had a consistent stroke and Amber followed her timing perfectly. When they came in next, I discussed this arrangement with them. They both agreed it felt better. I also had Amber move her stretcher away from her by one hole so that their sculls were taking the catch at the same angle.

For the next couple of outings, I took out my single and kept alongside them to watch and comment as required. I was constantly reminding myself to only mention one fault at a time, so mostly I was quiet. I was actually enjoying myself as I could now coach while still maintaining my own fitness.

However I soon realized there could be problems. Sculling two boats abreast without the aid of coxswains increased the chance of collision on what was a relatively narrow and windy river.

I decided it would be best to move to the lake venue even though we would potentially lose a half hour of training time to travel there. We would share a shed with a city club. Our club's varsity crews always trained on the lake as it had a straight 2,000 meter course marked with six lanes. It not only allowed us to row abreast without worrying about head on collisions, but it also enabled us to do realistic practice over the racing distance and monitor our times.

Over that first week I was pleased with our progress. The girls had adapted quickly to sculling as a crew. Additionally, I had avoided being caught ogling.

While I had been good at training, at night my thoughts were less than pure. Images of the girls replayed in my mind, particularly Michelle. It wasn't just their looks; they were also captivating. They showed so much trust in what I said that I was pleasantly astonished at their reverence. Incongruously, this just strengthened my resolve to act responsibly and not cross the forbidden line.

---------------------------

It was Tuesday afternoon just before 3pm. Amber and I were waiting outside the library for Tyler to pick us up. We had made sure we were a few minutes early as we had realized that Tyler was always punctual and disliked wasting time. I was eager as this would be our first day on the lake which had a regulation rowing course.

I was contemplating how much I enjoyed being close to Tyler when Amber distracted my daydreaming by asking: "Michelle, how do you think we are progressing?

It didn't take long to form my reply. "After just three outings in the double, I have felt a big difference. Haven't you?"

"Exactly! Tyler has just lifted our performance. You heard the bubbles under the shell on Saturday. The other girls said that that only occurs when we really get the boat running well."

"Perhaps we can ask Tyler what he thinks during the drive to the lake," I suggested.

"No way. We should leave the coaching talk for when we get there. We should use the drive as an opportunity to find out more about him. You know; personal stuff."

Of course Amber also liked Tyler. As the car was already approaching, I couldn't really make a reply. However as I laughed back at Amber, she could tell that I agreed with her strategy.

Due to our positioning I reached for the front seat leaving Amber to open the back door. As we clambered in Tyler called: "Hi girls. You seem happy today."

"Always happy Tyler," Amber responded with a chortle. "How has your day been?"

"It has been a rush all day."

"Doesn't the study become easier after the first year?" I enquired.

"Well more students fail the first year but that is mainly because they get carried away with their new freedom and forget their priorities. Personally this last year of my Masters is the hardest."

"Hardest?" I asked curiously as I had not expected this answer.

It felt more intimate being in the front seat beside him. I knew it was natural to watch him as he spoke, so I knew my checking him out wouldn't appear obvious.

"Maybe not the hardest. Let's say the most time consuming. That is my fault as I am striving for honors. This is my last chance to impress. During the first couple of years if I slacked off, there was always time to make it up later. Now to finish I need to keep the pedal to the metal."

I was perusing his strong yet kind face while considering his answer when he continued: "While I think of it, you'll both let me know how your own studies are going. I would hate to make you too tired or cause delay when you have assignment deadlines that need to be met."

"That is nice of you Tyler," Amber said. "I'm going just fine, and I doubt that Michelle will be a problem as I use her as my private tutor. Haven't you noticed how smart she is?"

Tyler didn't respond as he focused on driving until we came to a halt at a stop light. He then turned to me, and while he responded to both of us, his eyes bore into mine. "I have come to realize you are both smart. It is making my job much easier."

For the remainder of the trip, led mainly by Amber, we grilled him about his interests and then his ambitions.

On the lake, Tyler rowed beside us. He had us scull the 2,000 meter course as he pointed out the distance markers on the bank. He then put us through a series of 500 meter sprints followed by light work for 500; doing the cycle four times. Throughout all this he kept pace beside us in his single.

A week later, I was discussing with Stacy and Amber about ideas for celebrating Emily's 20th birthday. Amber was proposing to set her up with a male escort when Stacy suggested we take her to a restaurant. Amber shared a look with me as we had the same idea.

We knew that on the quiet nights of Sunday and Monday, Tyler stood in for the regular maître d' at the very exclusive Maison Épicurienne. We had quizzed Tyler in the car about where he worked and had both resolved to find an excuse to dine there. Now we had it.

It was a Sunday that the four of us dressed up in our best cocktail outfits. The rideshare dropped us at the restaurant just at 7pm. Amber had forgotten to book, but she rationalized by saying we would be fine this early.

Amber led the way inside the foyer. The ambiance of the restaurant was formal and expensive. Dark timbers on architraves, chairs and the floor contrasted with the white linen tablecloths covered with shiny glasses and flatware. Dimmed lanterns and lighted candles made everything sparkle.

As soon as we entered, I detected Tyler talking to a couple of diners. He looked quite distinguished in a dark suit with a burgundy colored tie. Tyler noticed a gathering at the entrance and excused himself to greet us. As he approached, I could tell when he recognized us as his face cracked into a wide smile.

Just before he reached the Host Station to welcome us, Amber spoke first. "Bonsoir Monsieur. Pourrions-nous avoir votre meilleure table pour quatre?"

Astonished Tyler considered his response before saying: "Bienvenue Mesdemoiselles. J'ai la table parfaite."

With little subtlety, Stacy then asked: "What did they say?"

In a quieter voice, I said: "I think we can stay."

Hearing our discussion, Tyler quickly took the opportunity to interject: "My apologies ladies. I will continue in English so you may all understand. Would you please follow me?"

Tyler pulled out two chairs on one side of the table. Emily immediately understood and sat down with his assistance. Likewise I took the next seat. Stacy had already placed herself in a chair, but Amber stood with a huge grin as she waited for Tyler to assist her to be seated.

Efficiently we were each handed the menu as he went through the specials in what must have been a well-rehearsed patter. He concluded with: "Ladies, I recommend the fish of the day or the Cassoulet. Your waiter, Marcel, will take your food order but may I get you drinks while you consider the menu?"

"Of course, a nice chardonnay would be appreciated," Amber asked in a dead pan voice.

Without showing any reaction to Amber's ambit request, he responded with: "Will that be chardonnay for all of you?"

Stacy promptly replied: "Yes please," with Emily nodding vigorously in support. I looked at Tyler and wondered what he would do. As he departed our designated waiter filled our water glasses and offered his assistance. He was answering our questions when Tyler placed an ice bucket on a stand next to me.

As soon as Marcel took our orders to the kitchen, Tyler returned with a bottle of wine. His thumb was partially across the label; however he showed it to Amber before pouring a small portion for her to taste. Amber eyes widened and once she nodded Tyler filled all our glasses. He then wrapped the bottle in a linen napkin and placed it in the ice bucket.

Standing rigidly beside me, Tyler then asked: "Ladies, may I enquire if this is a special occasion?"

Stacy promptly offered: "It's Emily's birthday. We just wanted to share a quiet evening with her."

Quite formally Tyler said: "Well happy birthday Emily and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you."

While our conversation was lively, I monitored Tyler for the rest of the meal. Although the restaurant was only two thirds full, he was continually on the move assisting waiters where necessary. That didn't mean that he wasn't also checking on us. I'm sure he caught me watching him at least four times.

He did return to refill our glasses and then to provide a second bottle of wine. It was after this that I discreetly slipped the napkin aside on the bottle's label to read the words; 'Alcohol Removed' under the brand name and wine type; 'Chardonnay'. I was quite amused, but I didn't let on to the other girls what I had discovered.

Just after Marcel removed our dessert dishes, he returned with four plates and forks. We looked inquisitively at each other until I saw Tyler bearing a cake aflame with candles. He placed it on the table in front of Emily just as we broke out in 'Happy Birthday'.

As we finished singing, I read the inscription on the frosting: 'Emily 22'. Just then a perplexed Stacy said: "There are 22 candles."

I quickly interceded by enunciating very clearly: "Wasn't it clever of the Maître d' to know it was your 22nd birthday Emily."

Fortunately Amber was quick on the uptake as she joined in with: "Happy 22nd Emily. I know it isn't as big a party as last year, but don't think we love you any less." I looked sternly at Stacy until she finally understood my message to remain quiet.

After we completed our coffee and were preparing to leave, Tyler returned with the check and the remainder of the birthday cake in a box. Amber looked at the details and whispered to us: "He hasn't included the cake or the wine on the check."

Tyler was standing by the Host Station but still watching us. I mouthed the word 'wine'. To which he mouthed what I thought was 'my compliments'. I promptly told the girls that I believed that Tyler was paying for the wine.

We agreed on a good tip and settled the amount on our way out while giving effusive thanks to Tyler. We had all enjoyed the night.

---------------------------

Working two nights of the week at the restaurant was usually a drag. I could easily handle the responsibilities, particularly as the place was rarely full. I tried to interact with the diners when they arrived, particularly if they had questions, but most of them weren't in the mood to chat to the staff. That is why I had enjoyed the visit by the girls last Sunday night.

Given the prices the restaurant charges I had considered it to be beyond most freshmen's budgets. The greater surprise was how different they all looked. I had only seen them in their utilitarian rowing apparel with their hair pulled back into ponytails or braids. For this night they had spiffed up with elaborate dresses and hairdos that initially delayed me from recognizing them.

Of course Michelle was completely gorgeous. She wore her trademark bow shaped smile, but on Sunday, she seemed to be particularly amused each time our eyes locked. While I was continually monitoring their requirements, she also seemed to be constantly looking at me. I was starting to really feel that we had a connection that was more than just rowing.

It wasn't until Tuesday that I had a chance to find out whether they enjoyed their night. It was Amber's turn to sit in the front as we drove to the lake. As soon as she was seated, she started with: "You were the last person I expected to serve us two bottles of wine. It was a pleasant surprise. Also thanks for paying for them. It was a nice touch presenting Emily with a birthday cake that made us all appear of legal age."

I was smirking to myself when I recalled my substitution trick until Michelle said: "You do know it was alcohol free wine that Tyler served us."

"What do you mean? The wine made me relax. It had the delicate taste of green apples and tropical fruit," Amber declared as if she was a connoisseur.

"Maybe so, but I looked at the label."

"Michelle's right," I confirmed.

"Then why all the deception with the cake?" Amber queried.

"When I asked the cook to decorate the cake, he made me aware that we can't even serve alcohol free wine to 20-year-olds. I wasn't previously aware but there is some puritanical State rule. Hence the subterfuge."

"Anyway, your generosity and ingenuity were appreciated," Michelle offered. "It really made Emily's day."

After three weeks of training, I was pleased with the progress of the girls' sculling. I wasn't certain how much credit I could take as they were both intelligent and naturally talented. After correcting a fault, I rarely needed to mention it again.

Today at the lake I decided to remain on the embankment so that I could practice them with starts. As they were setting themselves up in the boat, I considered how I might make an approach to Michelle to meet her socially. Was there a clever risk-free approach as rejection would make further coaching embarrassing.

Staring out over the lake and distracted by my thoughts I didn't hear Sara's approach. "Hello Tyler. What have you planned for my young ladies today?"

"Hello Sara. I have told them to go for a light warm up and then when they return, I'll put them through some starts."

"I have seen you out with them quite a few times. They are looking smart. They even seem to be keeping up with you in your single."

"Actually, it is the other way around now. I'm really having to work hard to keep up with them. While a double is meant to be faster that a single, with my advantage of size and gender, it shouldn't be so difficult."

"I hope you aren't using your size and gender for any other advantage with my young ladies." Sara's tone matched her stern face. My shock left me speechless which allowed her to add: "Of course, I know you are always professional, which is why I'm telling you that I have aligned the ladies' cycles."

Now I was really uncomfortable. I wasn't completely certain that I understood what Sara was talking about.

Ignoring my silence, she continued: "You don't really need to worry as you can continue training them hard. It just means they will be at their peak for the Clemson Sprints."

After a lengthy pause, I meekly answered with: "Thank you."

After watching the crew go by, Sara left me with the distinct impression I was being closely monitored. I could understand that she just happened to drop by every week as the women's double was her initiative; however, this was the fourth time that I had been subtly warned off from getting involved with either of the girls.

If I didn't have such a burning desire to become closer with Michelle, her warnings would not bother me. As no one was near, without restraint I vented my annoyance. What right did she have to make such restrictions?

I could appreciate the potential problem if jealousy occurred between the girls, but... what if... maybe I could...? In frustration, I just shook my head as I had no brilliant solution. I resolved to think about it further when time permitted.

I still didn't have a solution when Ethan and I had our regular meeting later in the week. He had just been boasting about a night with some babe he had met at a party when he enquired how my love life was travelling?

Having just explained my conundrum again, he teased with: "I can remove all your problems."

"Yeah!... how's that done?"

"Remember I told you about that party I went to a few months back. They are having another one on the first Saturday of spring break. I can bring one person with me."

"It was like a free for all orgy... wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it was fantastic. Everyone remained anonymous by wearing masks and using false names. The best part, it was just plain lustful behavior without any bad consequences."

"You are probably right. A healthy dose of uncomplicated sex should shake me out of my frustrations. That's what I'm missing since Felícia's departure."

"There is a strict screening process including STD testing and the provision of a couple of pics. Everyone will be over 21 to avoid complications, plus all the women must be on the pill... as I said no bad consequences. Oh, there is a short confidentiality contract you'll have to sign. Basically you only use the false name they give you and you never acknowledge having met anyone there."

"Where is this place?"

"I can't give you that until you pass the screening. It is out of state. The host and hostess call their place the Grove of Simila. Just leave everything to me. I'll take some pics and if you meet their standards, we can both go in for the blood tests. Oh, I'll also need to get $150 from you to cover costs."

---------------------------

Tyler's program had us doing a variety of exercises. He practiced us on starts as if under the Starter's control. 500 meter interval training sprints progressed to 1,000 meters. Sprint days alternated with longer endurance rows; however he always seemed to be able to get just one more piece of hard work out of us.

Amber and I were pleased with our progress, but we were in awe of Tyler's abilities. He would scull adjacent to us so he could observe. While we always started together, he accelerated faster and was always able to keep ahead of us.

Just before a sprint, Amber would often say to me: "Let's make this one our best so that we can beat him for once." I'm sure this motivation was part of the reason for our rapid improvement.

One day when returning us home from the lake, he talked through our plan for racing 2,000 meters. The focus was on ratings and when to make an effort of 10 harder strokes. He had finished by the time he dropped Amber off, but then started covering the psychological aspects of racing. He hadn't quite finished as he pulled up outside my apartment, so we just continued talking in the car. The conversation then drifted to other subjects.

Something happened with Tyler. As he wasn't focused on driving or coaching, he seemed to relax. He became lighthearted and humorous with amusing anecdotes. Soon we were both laughing loudly. We were both catching our composure after a hilarious story when our eyes locked. It was just like when we first met.

I had no awareness of the outside world or even if I was breathing because his intense look captured my complete attention. I couldn't decide what to say, however it didn't matter as I knew he could sense my total adoration. His expression had become contemplative as if he seemed to be wrestling with a dilemma.

I admired everything about him and wished we could be more intimate. He was clever, hardworking, reliable, and sexy. I dreamt about him but didn't know how to proceed. I knew that becoming involved might cause problems with Amber, but I wished for once I could be reckless without fear of consequences. For once I wished I didn't value the need for self-control.

We both knew that the ongoing silence clearly heralded our unspoken desires. I had no idea what I would do until he placed his hand on my arm. It was like electricity racing through my body to my heart. He patted a few times, then shared a rueful smile. Reciprocating his regret, compulsively I revealed my feelings by leaning over and kissing him on the cheek. I placed my hand on his chin to enhance my message. I was openly declaring my affection.