Cross Country Mom

Story Info
Son moves his divorced mother California to New Jersey.
17.5k words
4.65
139.1k
216
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,083 Followers

Copyright © 2019-2021 - This is an original work by Zeb Carter and is protected under copyright by U.S. copyright law. It is only submitted at Literotica.Com and any submission to any other site has not been authorized by the Author.

Cross Country Mom

Chapter 1

~~~ Tim

Mom. She was everything to me. She was caring and compassionate. She was kind and generous. She was without a fault the most beautiful human being in the world. She was also very, very pretty. Was she drop-dead gorgeous? Well to me she was. To others, she was the epitome of that down-home Midwest girl. Cute upturned nose with a sprinkle of freckles across it. Bouncy auburn hair. An expressive mouth. One that could show she was happy or sad or disappointed. I don't think I ever saw her angry when I was growing up. I think she saved that look for dad or other adults in private. Never did she show me her angry face. Then there was the face when she was experiencing joy. It lit up the room. I have seen that face often. At Christmas when she opened my present to her. At school functions and plays where I was a participant. It didn't matter if I won or my performance was good, she was just full of joy that I was her son doing my best.

When I graduated elementary school with honors, her face lit up with a joy I had never seen before. Then when I graduated high school, with a full academic scholarship to Princeton, her face lit up the room with that same joy. At my college graduation, Suma Cum Laude, she was beaming with pride and joy. I had a grant to follow up on research I had started in undergraduate school. I was going for my master's and then my doctorate. I was going to be a big shot in the academic community. All the professors lauded my accomplishment. All my relatives were in awe that I even finishing high school. My mom, throughout my entire life, so far, had stood by my side and cheered me on. Even when Dad left her.

That was a low point in both our lives. Dad, after twelve plus years, decided he had enough. Enough of what, he wouldn't say. I thought all this time he and mom were deeply in love. Maybe they had been, but if you love someone, you don't pick up and leave them. You try to work things out. You compromise you negotiate. Well, don't you? I mean you love them! They have been a part of your life for over twenty years. I guess I just didn't understand and Mom was unwilling to talk about it with me. She just told me everything would work out.

I went home for the summer semester. The college wanted me to start work immediately, but I told them I had some personal business that I need to handle before I began my research. They relented, letting me call the shots, as I was the only one who knew what needed doing even to start. I went home to my Mom. I was going to care for her for a change. I was going to be bright, cheerful and help her through whatever she was feeling. I loved my Mom. I guess I also loved Dad, but he wasn't there. In fact, we didn't know where he was.

I talked to Mom about divorce, but she refused. Of course, there were benefits to staying married, she told me. What they were she wouldn't say. Apparently, she wasn't bad off when it came to money. She would never tell me where it came from, except it was something she and dad received from her dowry. I didn't press her on the subject. She was lonely. I asked if she was attached to the house. She wasn't. I then asked if she would like to come live with me until she found a place of her own in Princeton.

"I would love that," she beamed at me. "That is so kind of you. You have been away for a long time. I miss having you around."

"Mom! I have missed you too." I was now embarrassed.

Over the next month, we put the house up for sale. Sold off a lot of the clutter in the house. Some of it was worth a fortune. Those pieces we kept. We had everything Mom was keeping packed up and shipped to a storage facility in Princeton. Then we packed up Mom's personal things and left for New Jersey. Did I mention we were driving? From San Francisco? In Mom's Audi? The trunk was full as was the backseat. Well, what there was of it. Before Dad had left, he had bought Mom a brand new Audi RS 5 Coupe. It was a dream to drive and had enough get up and go to please even my lead foot.

We started early in the morning. It was a Saturday so I drove across the bay and hit the highway on the other side. I was taking I-80 across the country. The ride was so smooth that Mom fell asleep as I cruised down the interstate. After a few hours, I needed to stop. One I had to pee, the coffee I had drank wanted to escape. Two, I was hungry. I had skipped breakfast in order to get us on the road. The next exit boasted a bunch of fast food spots and a Big J truck stop. I could gas up at the same time.

"Mom," I said softly giving her shoulder a shake.

"Wha..." she mumbled.

Her eyes opened. When she saw me she smiled brightly. I smiled back at her.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

She thought for a few seconds, then smiled again. "I am. I also need to pee," she said tugging on her seatbelt urgently.

"Restrooms are inside," I told her pointing to the restaurant in front of us.

"Yes, of course," she replied calming down as she opened her door and swung her legs out.

I hurried to get out and get to her side of the car to help her. She was just trying to stand as I arrived. She was a little wobbly. I put my hand under her arm, gripping her gently, yet firmly, and helped her get her bearings. I reached around her and flipped the car door closed. She turned, put her ass against the car fender, and looked up at me with her beautiful smile.

"Just let me get my legs back underneath me," she said softly.

"Of course Mom, take all the time you need," I told her taking both her hands in mine to help her steady herself.

"That's nice," she said giving my hands a gentle squeeze.

"Yes, it is. I have always enjoyed holding your hand. They were always so warm when I was growing up in Appleton."

"It did get cold there in the winter, didn't it?"

"It did. I remember coming in from playing in the snow, hands red with the cold. You would take each one and grasp them between yours and warm them up. It felt so good, just like now."

Mom cleared her throat, pushed herself off the car. She was standing right up against me. She pulled her hands from mine and placed them on my chest. She patted my chest, then pushed me away gently. I stepped back, turned, and offered my arm to Mom. She smiled, placed her arm through mine, and waited. I stood there looking at her. I was filled with feelings...feelings I couldn't comprehend just now. Mom cleared her throat again. I grinned with embarrassment and led the way into the restaurant part of the truck stop.

We both rushed to the restrooms. I finished first. I stood waiting, but only for a few seconds. Mom was there, beside me, waiting. I offered her my arm once more and led the way to an empty table. The place was only moderately crowded. A waitress came right over and took our drink orders. We both ordered a diet soda. When the waitress came back we were ready to order our meal. We just ordered a couple of cheeseburgers and fries. We both ate. There was very little conversation while we did.

When we finished eating, I drove around to the pumps and filled the tank. It was only half empty. Then we were back on the road traveling northeast on the I-80. As we crossed into Nevada we whizzed through Reno. It was only two in the afternoon and the tank was still three-quarters full, so I pushed on. Mom had been quiet as I drove. I too had nothing to say really, yet I wanted to get to know my mom. I had been gone a long time with only short trips home on holidays or over the summer semester.

"Mom, how have you been since I last saw you?" It was lame, but I did want to talk, not just ride in silence.

"Oh, Honey, I've been fine. A little lonely, but I had things to do to keep myself occupied. How have you been?" Mom always tried to deflect any question about her.

"Fine. Worked really hard to prove my theory. Did. Got the grant. Two grants actually. When we get to Princeton, I'll be working hard again. Long hours. Weekends. You will have to find something to occupy yourself again."

"I will I'm sure. There are all kinds of places I can go, do, and participate in. Don't you worry about me."

"Mom, I always worry about you."

"That's sweet dear, but there is no need."

"Of course there is. You're my Mom."

"Stop, you're embarrassing me," Mom said blushing deeply.

Silence fell once more inside the car. We were crossing the most desolate part of Nevada. For miles and miles in all directions, there was nothing but desert and mountains, none of which had any vegetation on them. At first, it was interesting, then quickly grew boring. It was also hot outside. The outside temperature showed one hundred and one degrees on the gauge on the dashboard. Lucky the air conditioner was in perfect working order.

"So what did you do with your time Mom?" I was interested with how she kept herself busy.

"Oh, I volunteered at the hospital. I did some counseling at my church. I played bridge with some of the women at the local senior care facility. And various other things."

The way she glossed over those other things piqued my interest.

"What other various things?"

"Things," she said with a catch in her throat.

"Okay, okay," I laughed. "If you don't want to talk about it, that's okay with me."

"Oh my dear Tim," she said softly. "It's not that I don't want to talk about those things, I can't...I shouldn't talk about those things with you."

"Ah, I see," I said.

I didn't say another word. Not for a long time. Then it was Mom who spoke.

"After your father left, I found I had certain needs. There were a select group of men in my life after your father."

"Mom, I didn't mean to pry. I was only interested in your wellbeing."

"I know. And who and what I did with them will remain private. But I did what women across the world do when they are lonely, I sought out male companionship."

"Honest Mom, I don't need to know if you don't want me to."

"I know dear, I just thought you should know I have not been celibate since your father left."

"I would like to know what that was about."

"I'm afraid you will just have to wonder as I will not discuss that with you."

"Okay, I get it, none of my business."

"Yes, it isn't."

I looked at Mom out of the corner of my eye. She was shivering.

"Are you cold?" I asked.

"No dear," she said reaching over and taking my right hand in her left. It was warm and soft. I was suddenly in heaven and didn't know why. We drove on, in silence.

Chapter 2

~~~ Mom

Timmy had just asked me about his father, again. I knew I would have to tell him eventually, but not yet, not now. He was so sweet. So grown up. He had also turned into a very handsome man. He was tall and well built. I knew he was strong by the way he moved the boxes at the house around with ease. His eyes were a piercing blue. His hand was strong under my fingers. His skin was soft, the muscles rippled under my fingers. I was suddenly warm, yet my body kept shivering. I squeezed his hand in mine as he drove on.

"Tim, why all the questions?"

"I'm interested in who you have become and what you are doing, just as you are always interested in what I am doing." He seemed surprised by my question.

"Of course dear, of course. I am always interested in you and what you do. After all, you are my son." He squeezed my hand. A shiver ran down my spine.

"And you are my mother, so why shouldn't I be interested in you and what you do?"

"I'm not saying you shouldn't be, it's just the first time you have ever asked about me." I gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

He looked at me, smiled, then turned his eyes back to the road. I turned looking out the front window. The landscape flowed by. It was desolate. Flat, reaching to mountains in the distance. Glancing at the temperature gauge on the dash, I saw it was extremely hot outside. My car was purring along unperturbed by the heat out there. Again I looked at Timmy, my dear sweet Timmy. He was so handsome, so strong. Why if I hadn't raised him, I would be drooling over him, not that anyone like him would notice an old lady like me. Although, I had noticed some young men at the hospital gazing at me when I walked by.

The silence between us continued. It seemed that hours and miles just flowed by. Timmy seemed content to just hold my hand, every once in a while giving it a gentle squeeze. I too was content. I was happy. I was going to live with my son. At least until I found a place of my own. I surely didn't want him to have the stigma of living with his mother hanging over his head. Good god, a twenty-five-year-old living with his forty-year-old mother, what would people think. Not that I care one little damn.

"Let me know when you are hungry and we'll stop for dinner," Timmy said, shocking me out of my revere.

"Yes, yes I will," I stammered.

He squeezed my hand and I settled down. My mind had wandered. I was not a person to worry about what others thought of me. I could care less. I did, however, feel I had to consider what those people thought of my son and heaven help them if...well I wasn't going there just yet.

Timmy drove. At some point in time, he had turned on the radio. There was soft, gentle jazz filling the car. I found I was enjoying it very much. Then I realized that it was my playlist he had started. Smiling I squeezed his hand.

~ ~ ~ ~

I must have fallen asleep again. I woke as the car rumbled as it slowed. Opening my eyes, I saw it was getting dark. Timmy was pulling off the interstate. I didn't catch the name of the town or city where we were exiting.

"Oh, you're awake?" Timmy said as he negotiated a turn onto a local road.

"You shouldn't have let me sleep, now I will never get to sleep tonight." I wasn't mad, just a little perturbed.

"I'm sorry, now I know. It was a little lonely, but you looked so peaceful and pretty sitting there oblivious to the world." I blushed when he called me pretty.

"Where are we?" I croaked.

"Wells. Do you want to get a room or eat first?"

"Let's get us some rooms, so I can freshen up. Then we'll eat."

"Fine by me," Tim laughed, "but you look marvelous already."

I blushed again as I fluffed my hair where it was flattened by my leaning against the seatback while sleeping. Tim pulled up in front of a Motel 6.

"I'll be right out," he said opening his door and stepping out.

I watched as he went into the office. I shiver ran down my spine and a flush washed over me. I was suddenly on fire. A fire that lasted a split second. My mind raced with thoughts I hadn't had for a long time. Yet these were about my handsome son. How could I be thinking these things? I shouldn't be thinking these things. I shook my head to clear it of those thoughts. I shook it once more just to make sure they were gone.

Then Tim was walking out of the office with a puzzled look on his face. Instead of getting in the car, he walked around to my side. Leaning down, he indicated I should roll the window down. I did and he leaned down to look at me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It would seem we picked a bad time to stop here."

"Why is that?"

"This week the local casino is having its world poker tour playoffs and every motel, hotel, b and b is booked solid. They do have one room here or we could get back on the highway and hope that there is a place in Wendover, but they too have some kind of poker tournament."

"How big is the bed?" I asked.

"It's a king-sized, in the honeymoon suite or what goes for a honeymoon suite here."

"Get it, we won't be here but the night and neither of us is exceptionally big that we would take up that much room in a king-sized bed."

"Okay then," Tim said smiling as he pushed off the car and headed back into the office.

Chapter 3

~~~ Tim

I signed the register and took the keycard from the countertop. Smiled at the cute blond behind the counter and headed back out to the car. Our room was just across from the office. Climbing in the car, I smiled at Mom and slipped the car into gear. I slowly turned to the right and pulled up in front of the door with the words "Honeymoon Suite" emblazoned on it.

"Oh dear," Mom whispered.

"Things will be just fine. Maybe there's a couch I can sleep on..."

"Don't be ridiculous, we'll be just fine in the bed." Mom wasn't smiling, but she wasn't frowning either.

I climbed out, went around, and helped Mom out. We both stood outside the door looking at the garish sign. I slipped the keycard into the slot and heard the lock click open. Pushing the handle down, I opened the door and waited for Mom to enter first.

"Oh my," she croaked as she stepped to the side to let me in. "It would seem that this room is not used much."

"Yikes."

The room was pink. Every conceivable shade of pink you could think of. The king-sized bed was round on a raised platform. It looked like an altar. An alter where the virgin would be sacrificed to the gods. I could even see soft leather straps curled up at the foot or what I thought of as the foot, of the bed. There was a couch of sorts off to the side, yet no one would ever think of sleeping there. It was as if someone took two large chairs and nailed them together in such a way that the people seated in them would face each other.

"Well this is interesting," Mom said, stepping further into the room.

"Indeed," I answered, letting the door close softly behind us. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes. Let's find ourselves a nice restaurant," Mom said.

"Right, let me ask at the office. I'll be right back."

~ ~ ~ ~

The cute blond behind the desk gave me directions to the best restaurant in town. As I drove to the restaurant, Mom was silent. I watched her out of the corner of my eye. She was pensive. She glanced over at me every few seconds as if to say something, then thought better of it. I just grinned.

The restaurant was very nice. It wasn't up to the standards of Princeton restaurants. But it would do in a pinch, to take a beautiful woman out to eat. And Mom was certainly a beautiful woman, no matter what she said about herself. During dinner, I kept the conversation light as we both enjoyed our food. It was good, excellent in fact. A little surprising for such a small town.

After dinner, we returned to the motel and our garish room. As we entered again, Mom began laughing. Turning to me she hugged me. I hugged her back. Then she pushed back and looked into my eyes.

"I'm going to take a shower," she said.

"Okay. Do you need your back scrubbed?" I said jokingly.

"No...you naughty boy," she laughed swatting my arm.

I pulled her back into my arms for just a second and kissed her on the cheek. She sighed as she pushed me away. Then she turned and hurried into the bathroom.

"Damn," she yelled.

"What?"

"There's no door to the bathroom!"

"Ah, I'll step outside while you shower."

"And what will I do while you shower?"

"Look the other way?" I quipped.

Mom scowled at me. She climbed into the shower with all her clothes on. Once she closed the door, she disrobed, tossing her clothes on the top of the shower door.

"What are you going to do when you're done?" I shouted.

"Make sure you're looking the other way."

"I will, I promise."

Mom started the shower. I stripped down to my t-shirt and boxers, grabbed the remote, and turned on the T.V. I flipped through the channels until I found the news channel. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I watched the ticker at the bottom of the screen. Every once in a while, I glanced over at the bathroom. Smiling I watched as Mom washed. She would find out when I was in there, just how transparent the glass became when wet. God, she was beautiful.

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,083 Followers