Cupid's Table

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The intern was totally inept and clueless, and caused the picnic to turn into a disaster. He caused an argument that escalated into a shoving match. Someone got shoved into a senior project manager who landed on a table full of food, and made it collapse. The shoving match ended up in a huge food fight. When the CEO drew our names from a fish bowl he had potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, catsup, mayo, and mustard all over him after it ended. He was not happy. No one could figure out why someone bought a gift voucher way up north in Napa, more than 500 miles from here. Topping everything off, the intern's mom was a real helicopter mom and followed him everywhere. I'm pretty sure company picnics are a thing of the past now."

The line of archers followed Tyler and Deni who were seated at the center table by the window, and formed a half circle around them. Deni was enthralled at the view of San Diego bay and the lights of downtown San Diego as they began blinking on, and shimmered across the water. Yachts in a nearby marina bobbed at their moorings as a dinner cruise boat slowly glided by. Tyler seemed to take no notice of anything as their drink orders were taken and served. The full effect of the roses, and the music was like magic to Deni, but seemed to have no effect on Tyler, whose mood was morose. For more than a week, Deni saw he was not himself. Tonight he was even worse, because he knew what he planned to do would break her heart.

"Ty, something's obviously been bothering you because you've been glum and distracted all week. Want to talk about it, sweetie?"

Cupid pointed to the rightmost archer and commanded. "Release in sequence, now, and hasten not."

One by one, arrows flew about a second apart deeply penetrating Tyler's heart each time.

"Deni, the divorce bomb mom and dad dropped on Natalie and me last week has me rethinking everything."

A feeling of dread enveloped Deni because she understood the purpose of their date and her bubbly mood deflated.

"So you think that will happen to you?"

"Well, won't it? The percentages are just too high."

"No, Ty. But having low expectations in a relationship and expecting to fail probably will make it fail because your heart won't be in it. A losing effort is always half-hearted and if you're not fully committed to make it work, it won't. With a defeatist mind set any little argument, suspicion, disagreement, or mistake could make you give up, and walk away, because one foot is already headed out the door. Ty, your fears are unrealistic because we haven't failed even once, yet you expect us to fail.

"Ty, we've been dating for nine, almost ten months, and we're happy, right? We've even talked about getting married because we're amazing together. We're compatible and comfortable with each other and we are our true selves when we're together. We talk things out like we're doing now and we don't put on an act to impress each other."

Tyler reluctantly agreed, but Deni interrupted his thought. "Well . . . yeah . . . I . . ."

"Ty, your mom and dad didn't realize it, but they walked into a trap. It's a trap a lot of couples walk into and they don't realize it's a trap of their own making. Your mom and dad put most of their energy and effort into raising you and Natalie, right?"

"We'll, yeah. They wanted to set us up for success."

"And they did, but at the cost of their marriage. Your mom and dad didn't stay focused on each other. The trap husbands and wives walk into is neglecting their spouse and not staying close and connected. It's not intentional, either they don't realize the importance of staying close, or they forget to. They focus on their kids, their careers or even a business they own. Married couples need to make a conscious decision to set aside time to spend with their mate and focus on each other.

"Falling in love is only the first step, Ty. Couples need to work on staying in love by renewing their love for each other every day. The main goal a man and wife should focus on, is to be as deeply in love after 50 years, as they were when their love was brand new. Fears of failure with their children or careers, skew priorities, and causes couples to lose sight of each other.

"Ty, no matter how tired my mom and dad were at the end of each day, they closed their door to us kids every evening before going to bed, to be alone and focus on each other. I don't know what they did, but they eliminated all distractions for an hour or two. Every Saturday evening was their date night to do something special or fun, and nothing ever made them cancel their date night.

"Mom and dad looked to each other for affirmation and love. They communicated everything, their fears, their happiness, their desires, their concerns, and nothing was off limits. Their discussions often included us kids, and exampled communication. They never made a joke of anything they said. They never judged, trivializing, or patronized each other either. They did almost everything together too: Working in the yard, doing dishes, laundry, cleaning the house and cooking.

"In everything they did they were talking, with physical contact with gentle touches. They took vacations without us kids at least once a year and we didn't feel left out one bit, because we also took family vacations once or twice a year. Mom and Dad never lost focus on each other. Their love for each other overflowed in gushes to us kids because they stayed fulfilled by each other.

"Ty, I love you, and I want that to be us. I want to be able to example that to our babies and grandbabies and fifty years from now be able to tell them this is how you love."

Cupid saw his mother raise her hand.

Cupid commanded, "Archers, cease! Cease, and stand fast! Allow mother to draw near."

Venus grasped Victoria's hand and the two made their way between the archers to the table. While grasping Victoria's hand, they both whispered Deni's words in Latin each time Venus touched an arrow in Tyler's heart. Victoria and Venus joining hands doubled the effectiveness of Deni's words, erasing Tyler's fears one by one with each arrow she touched, and allowed him to take Deni's words to heart. After the last arrow was touched, Venus touched her hand over Tyler's heart and spoke aloud that Tyler heard in his thoughts.

"Omnia vincit amor timoribus. Love conquers all fears."

Tyler stopped and stared into Deni's beautiful blue eyes and Deni's words sank in.

Unseen by Tyler, Venus looked in his eyes and smiled then patted her hand over Tyler's heart before she spoke again.

"Sequere animum tuum. Follow your heart."

"Deni, you're right, I can't be afraid. I do love you, but I don't want to fail. I don't want to fail you."

"Ty, then don't. Deciding you won't fail, and sticking to your decision is why you won't."

Tyler was staring out the window thinking things through when Venus took Tyler's hand. She dropped seeds of carbon and gold onto his palm then closed his hand into a fist. The beautiful goddess closed her eyes in concentration and wrapped her soft hands around his fist and whispered in Latin again then released his hand.

Tyler returned from his reverie and everything became clear and made sense. "Yeah, I get it now."

When Tyler reached for Deni's hands, he felt something in his hand and his eyes widened when he realized what it was.

Venus grinned at him and whispered in his ear.

"A deum dono coeperunt. A gift from the gods."

In his thoughts, Tyler repeated Venus's three phrases in order: Love conquers all fears. Follow your heart. A gift from the gods. The message couldn't be made clearer, and what was in his hand was the universal symbol of fidelity, and a lifetime commitment. It was his decision to make, not a fate that was already decided. It was only a nudge. Tyler looked into Deni's pale blue eyes remembering it was her eyes that drew him to her at first sight. His eyes widened when he realized the purpose of the message. What was in his hand was meant for Deni. Deni was the gift that would bless his life. Tyler nodded to himself in agreement with his silent decision, as he took Deni's hand.

When Venus saw resolve in Tyler's eyes she spoke to her son.

"Consummated est. It is finished."

"Deni . . . I decided tonight was going to be our last date, but I won't let my fears decide my life. I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you. We're stronger together than we are apart, so I'm going to do something I had decided not to do."

Tyler opened his hand and revealed a beautiful diamond ring that dazzled even in the evening light.

"Deni, I was given an amazing gift when I met you, because you bless my life. No one has ever affected my life like you have, and I'm a better man when I am with you. I can't imagine how my life would be without you in it. Fifty years from now, I want to love you as much as I do now. Deni, will you marry me?"

Deni's thousand-watt radiant smile made her answer redundant.

"Of course, I will. To make it to fifty years we have to start now. But Ty, just so you know, for me its fifty years minimum."

Tyler slipped the ring on her finger then they sealed their commitment with a kiss.

Cupid commanded with a satisfied smile, "Archers, retreat. Well done."

Deni and Tyler's meal was the first of memorable celebrations, and as they approached the maître d, hand in hand, he asked,

"I trust your evening was memorable and met your expectations?"

Tyler lifted Deni's hand. "Coming here is the first of many favorite memories we will make. Tonight went way beyond our expectations! She said yes!"

"Congratulations! Thank you for dining with us this evening."

Unseen, Mars, Venus, and Victoria stood next to the maître d and smiled at Cupid.

"Father, thank you for your help, and Victoria, you as well. Our difficulty shall increase greatly to nudge Number one to love and heal his poisoned heart. Be assured though, your presence this night ensured a successful outcome. This night's success gives me confidence we shall succeed with number one. Victoria and father, thank you again.

Mars smiled at his son. "You have learned ploys and planning well. Until tomorrow, my son."

Outside the restaurant peals of laughter from Lord Cupid caused even more laughter from the archers when they saw the snarled traffic on the road leading into the entrance of the Island Prime parking lot. A grease collection tank-truck overturned, spilling grease and used cooking oils everywhere. The goddess Fortuna and Sors who were watching the clean-up smiled at Cupid and waved.

With a laugh still in his voice Cupid praised, "Archers, well done. This night's rehearsal went as planned, ending in success. The rehearsal on the morrow shall be here at the same table and the same time."

Chapter Three

Arsenius entered his Lord's chambers and bowed his head. "My Lord, Lord Mercury has returned from the pantheon with more news."

"Thank you Arsenius. Hasten Lord Mercury to my chambers, I am anxious to learn his news."

Arsenius bowed his head. "As you wish my Lord."

Arsenius hastened to the antechamber. "Come Lord Mercury, my Lord awaits you."

Mercury was hastened to Cupid's armory chamber as fast as Arsenius' old legs allowed.

Arsenius bowed his head to Cupid and Mercury. "My Lord, Lord Mercury."

"Thank you Arsenius, you may take your leave and rest."

"Thank you my Lord."

"Mercury, my friend, what news have you brought from the pantheon?"

"There was much trepidation throughout the pantheon, but now they are well pleased at the outcome of the first rehearsal and the excellence of the plan. Yea verily, even Jupiter declared to you well done."

"I am well pleased at our success as well. This night there are two targets: An egocentric alpha male and a young maiden. The alpha male is number 37 on my scroll, and much more resistant than Tyler. The young maiden wearies of the mortal's blinded selfish ego. Their love is intact, but requires moderation. The Fates have foreseen amazing and wondrous goodness when the two are together and love each other as equals."

"How goes Sors at his tasks?"

Cupid laughed heartily, "Beyond all expectations, my friend. Lord Sors epitomizes the American colloquial phrase I'd rather be lucky than good. Though dissimilar they are, mother and son make formidable allies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The attention of thirty archers in Island Prime's parking lot was focused on Cupid once more as he received last minute news from Mercury. Lord Mercury's news greatly impacted the ploy this night that would cause a change to Venus' task. Cupid nodded and frowned as he turned from Mercury to address the archers.

"This night we shall duplicate the plan we rehearsed the past night, but mayhap difficulties arise we shall adapt. Once more, no archer may release mayhap a mortal intrudes. All arrows must strike only the targets, and this night there are two. The sequence shall alternate between the two. Archers shall count off one through thirty. Archers with an odd number shall target the young man. Archers with an even numbers shall target the young maiden.

"Again, Sors shall cause a diversion of some kind, and yet again, I have no expectation of what lovely disaster will befall. They appear to be as random as his thoughts."

"This night's targets is Justin Bolton and Allison Thomas. Justin calls the maiden Ali, and Ali mostly calls Justin by the epithet, Doofus. I have no understanding of the word. Mayhap it means idiot? Tyler shall be most resistant, but the Fates have foreseen that together they shall do amazing and wondrous good. Justin and Ali have come in the large black SUV behind you. Follow them into the restaurant and stay your focus on them. Listen to what they say, because again we can learn from them."

Justin was dark haired, and as large as a gladiator, while Ali was a graceful willow, with beautiful light blond hair, and a light pink complexion. Both avoided touching each other, and Cupid presumed it to be ire, and Ali even more so. This did not bode well, but the reason would soon reveal itself.

"Justin, you doofus, jeans and t-shirts are not appropriate in a four star restaurant. They probably have a dress code that requires suit jackets and dresses."

"Ali, it's cool, just chill. I told you it was a surprise. Surprises are always something special, don't you ever get it?"

"No, I don't because I'm not a mind reader, and you just assume. You just do what you want. You have a brain and a mouth, and believe it, or not, they are connected, but in your case they don't communicate. I'm forced to drag it out of you, or you leave me hanging to figure it out on my own."

"Didn't I surprise you two weeks ago? It turned out awesome!"

"What are you talking about, doofus? You mean the time you told me we were eating out and I got dressed up only to find you out on the patio in a tank top and cargo shorts grilling dogs and burgers? That's exactly what I'm talking about! I rest my case! Your mouth and brain never learned to play well together back in kindergarten."

Ali's sour mood only worsened when Justin blew off how she felt by laughing at her as they walked to the restaurant. The maître d eyed them as they entered the restaurant, but with a whisper in his ear from Venus, he confirmed their reservation, and seated them at the center table by the window. Just as the archer's formed a half circle around their table, the heavens suddenly opened up. Rain poured down in sheets the likes of which California had never seen. The reported forecast that day was sunny and warm. Their waiter, Marcus, immediately approached their table and asked,

"Welcome to Island Prime, what would you like to drink this evening?"

"Archers count off. Odd archers, target Justin. Even archers, target Ali in sequence."

While the archers counted off one through thirty, Cupid whispered in his mother's ear for several moments causing her to freeze for a moment, and her whole demeanor changed. Venus whispered something back to her son who nodded then commanded the archers. "Stand fast" Venus went to Victoria and whispered.

Victoria nodded back to Venus who grasped her hand. Standing behind the archers Venus and Victoria began whispering in Latin. The waiter stood patiently at the table as Justin perused the drink choices then without asking Ali he ordered drinks for both of them.

"I'll have a double Four Roses Small Batch neat and the lady would like a white wine."

"No. Justin, whenever your ego takes over your brain shuts off. Your arrogant ego dictates choices for people around you, not caring what they might want. Your brain only thinks about you, and does what you want! You didn't give a thought about what I might want, and your mouth doesn't make contact with your brain to ask."

"Hey! I know my limitations . . ."

Ali cut Justin off, "Like your brain knows your mouth? Justin, I'm tired of your me, me, me first ego. When your ego takes over you're arrogant, abrasive, and uncaring. You walk all over people by making decisions for people without talking to them first or you tell them what they're going to do."

"Justin you're driving, so no alcohol tonight, because one drink is one too many. We aren't tempting fate and get stopped for DUI, and I will not ride with you if you're drinking." Ali looked up to the waiter, "I'd like a cherry 7up, please."

Justin was obviously put out when he told the waiter, "Fine! I'll have a Dr. Pepper."

Once the waiter moved behind the archers Cupid commanded, "Archers, release!"

Before she spoke, Ali's tears were already trickling down her cheeks from the pain that had been a long time building in her heart. Her caring nature though, overrode her pain and was still trying to reach Justin.

"Justin, you can be so caring and thoughtful when you aren't thinking of yourself. When you do think of others, you're surrounded by your friends and it's always memorable. The problem is we seldom see the real you. When your ego takes over it's like poison. It makes your friends avoid you then you complain no one wants to hang with you.

"There's no room for anyone else in your life when your ego takes over. I can be right beside you and I become invisible. I'm not there. You don't see me, who I am inside. Your ego only lets you see my blond hair and brown eyes, but you overlook me. Your ego doesn't want to know who I am or what I want, and I don't matter to you. I'm not enough."

Venus and Victoria finished repeating Ali's words to Justin then Venus raised her hand to Cupid who commanded,

"Archers, cease! Cease and stand fast!"

Grasping Victoria's hand, the two goddesses stepped between the archers to the table. Holding Victoria's hand doubled the effectiveness as they whispered Ali's words and wishes to Justin as Venus touched Justin's arrows one by one. When the last arrow was touched, Venus took Victoria's hand and placed both their hands over Justin's heart and they whispered Ali's words again. The waiter approached the table as they finished, but the two goddesses stood fast. While the waiter took their entrée orders and refilled their drinks, Venus whispered in the waiter's ear. When the waiter left for the kitchen, Venus pulled Victoria behind the archers and raised her hand to Cupid.

"Archers remember: Justin, odds, Ali, even, in sequence! Release!

Venus and Victoria, began whispering again, intent on impressing Ali's words on Justin's heart.

Justin gazed out the window at the heavy thundering waterfall pouring off the roof that obscured even the rain that poured from the heavens. Ali's words rained on his heart just as hard. Outside, everything was obscured. No lights or yachts were visible, and not even the water of San Diego bay could be seen.

123456...8