Cupid's Table

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Landon glanced at Venus who nodded encouragement to him. Landon reached inside his shirt and pulled the chain up and grasped what was on the end of the chain and pulled it out.

"What is it, Landon? What's on the chain?"

"All my hopes and dreams, Sophie."

Landon opened his hand and revealed a stunning blue oval diamond ring in a 24-carat gold setting and held it out to her.

Sophie's heart was now fully open and tears of understanding trickled down her cheek as she spoke in awe. "How long Landon?"

"I've loved you since freshman English, but I bought this the day I first told you I loved you."

"Landon, I remember that. We were . . ."

Landon finished her sentence, "Soaking wet grunion hunting. Sophie, I held onto hope you would finally open your heart to me. You're the treasure of my life, Sophie. Will you trust me and marry me?"

"Marry my very best friend? What will our friends and parents say?"

Landon shook his head at her in disbelief and grinned. "Sweetheart, they'll want to know why it took you so long."

Sophie lowered her head and looked down for a moment then back up to look into his eyes as she put her arms around his neck.

"Landon, truthfully, I couldn't admit it, but I have loved you forever. My relationship with you, my very best friend, is priceless. Landon, you're my rock, my safe harbor I always run to when my life falls apart. I didn't want to mess up the only thing in my life I could always count on." Sophie gestured to the five goddesses. "My friends made me realize when my dad abandoned mom and me, he caused me serious trust and abandonment issues. Mom and I fell apart when he left."

Sophie pointed to Venus. "This gorgeous woman finally made me understand you have never left me like my dad and all the others, and you never will. Venus said I needed to trust you, and I always have, but not with my heart . . . not in love. After what my dad did I couldn't trust anyone. I have never given anyone my heart, but now I'm giving it to you, my best friend. I'm going to trust you to keep it safe. Yes, I'll marry you, my best friend."

Landon took the ring from the chain and slipped it on her finger then lovingly wrapped his arms around Sophie. For several moments they looked in each other's eyes, and for the first time she saw his deep love for her in his eyes. For the first time her heart was settled and fulfilled. Sophie gratefully wrapped her arms around Landon's neck and kissed him with all her heart.

Venus smiled at her son and spoke softly. "The love you unleash to humanity is ageless, but this night we have set loose a love that is worthy of gods."

Cupid nodded to his mother with a smile of his own. "Like you and father."

Venus kissed both her son's cheeks and beamed her smile at him. "The same love that brought you to us, you generously pass on to mortals. You do well my son."

Landon caressed Sophie's back and whispered, "I love you, Sophie, now and forever. I promise I will never do anything to make you doubt that.

Sophie tightened her arms around his neck. "I love you too, Landon. I always have. I've always trusted you too, just not enough to give you my heart." Sophie kissed him again then turned to Venus. "Landon, I need to introduce you to these gorgeous goddesses who convinced me to open my heart to you."

Landon chuckled and gestured to the others.

"Don't you mean six gods?" Landon pointed to Cupid. "Cupid has been talking to me for over an hour. He kept telling me to contend for your heart. His words told me I needed to assert myself and fight for you to show you how much I love you."

"And you did." Said Sophie with a soft smile.

Landon gestured to the goddesses: "All of them repeated Cupid's words to me in whispers. They no doubt whispered to you too." Landon looked to Venus with a raised brow. "I'd bet there are a few more we haven't seen."

Venus smiled and nodded, "Mars is yet unseen. Fortuna and her son, Sors, are in Malibu."

A heartbeat later Sophie started giggling in understanding, and looked around at all the gods. "You mean the waves . . .?"

Cupid answered her unfinished question with a wide grin. "Were caused by Sors, the god of luck."

Sophie put a hand on her hip and giggled at Cupid.

"Oh, so the god of luck is an idiot?"

Cupid laughed and nodded. "And clueless."

"So he has no idea of what happened tonight?

Cupid laughed harder still shaking his head. "Cluelessness suits him."

Sophie crossed her arms and "He caused a surfers dream up in Malibu with huge waves, Tonya is probably Will's new girlfriend, I had a meltdown, and ended up with a diamond ring only because of a random act by a clueless god?"

Landon chuckled at his fiancé's playful humor and bantered back. "What? I'm chopped liver already?"

Sophie grinned back at him, wrapping her arms round his neck again and kissed him again.

"Oh, no! I compared every guy to you and no one ever got close. That makes you prime rib, mister."

Sophie looked back at Cupid then up at Landon and kissed him then told him softly,

"I'll take luck over being good any day."

Landon released Sophie and thanked each goddess with a kiss to her hand, then bowed his head to Cupid.

"I'm eternally grateful for giving me the love of my life, but no one is ever going to believe any of this, are they?"

Cupid shrugged a shoulder then shook his head no. "It's most doubtful. We revealed ourselves to you and Sophie alone. Would you agree though, some memories are savored best between a husband and wife only?"

Sophie looked to Landon who nodded then she then told Cupid. "You're right. We'll remember this day forever. Thank you for helping me see what was already there." Sophie looked back up at Landon. "I'm so thankful you never gave up on me. With all my heart I love you Landon."

Venus smiled at Sophie and Landon then raised her hand in goodbye. "Perfectum. Vale. Perfection. Farewell."

Suddenly there were only six or seven people left in the restaurant, leaving Sophie and Landon grinning at each other. Sophie kissed Landon again then tugged his arm to leave.

"What a crazy day, sweetie. Come on, let's go before it gets any crazier, and Jesus decides to make an appearance."

Landon grinned back at his fiancé and teased. "Sweetheart, what will your yellow tabby cat Jesus do?"

Sophie rolled her eyes at Landon and with a laugh in her voice she lightheartedly scolded,

"Will you please say his name right for once? His name is pronounced, 'Hay Soose!'

The maître d greeted them at the front with a smile. "I hope tonight was memorable for you, and met your expectations?"

Sophie and Landon grinned at each other, nodding, and Sophie's smile lit up the room.

"Eternity will come to an end before we forget tonight." Sophie held out her hand. "When he asked the question, I finally gave him an answer. Guess what my answer was?"

"Congratulations! That's wonderful! Have a great evening.

Once Sophie and Landon were out the door, the maître d turned to Marcus their waiter.

"I'd sure like to know what's so special about that table. That's the third couple to get engaged there this week."

Chapter Five

Arsenius entered Cupid's chamber and announced, "My Lord, Lord Mercury has arrived with news. I hastened him to you straightaway."

"Excellent Arsenius, well done! Permit him to enter, I am anxious to hear his news!"

"Lord Cupid, I present Lord Mercury."

"My friend, what news do you bring me?"

"Cupid, the whole of the pantheon is agog at your success, especially for the excitement of mortal's to be in the presence of forgotten deities. The whole of the pantheon is hopeful humanity shall once again reclaim us as benefactors."

"I am honored the pantheon is well pleased, but alas, we cannot restore the sands of time to a shattered hour glass. The time of the Caesar's is long past and it is futility to seek to reclaim the glory of Rome. When we ceased to be guardians, we did nothing to stop the vileness and corruption that hastened the destruction of the Roman Empire. Nay, my friend, we must reclaim our original purpose and be guardians of humanity once again, a more honorable mission.

"My friend, we have done much good with our three successes, and have proven we can nudge mortals not only to love, but to a better path as well. If we stay the course we have regained our original purpose even if it's but one mortal at a time. In the words of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, "All We Need is Love."

"Truly, in this I agree. All we need is love. Unto that end, Victoria and Minerva labor to effect a reunion with Arielle and Barrett. Barrett stays his distance but shows little resistance to her as the investors talk among themselves. It is by great fortune Barrett has not seen Arielle since his friend's wedding years ago, for she has changed much. Arielle knew Barrett at first sight, but he has yet to grasp who she is.

"Barrett's thoughts and posture revealed he was taken with her at first sight, which pleased Arielle greatly. Truly, this morn, Barrett followed her with his eyes from across the room. Indeed, because of your mother's singular blessing, Arielle equals your mother with her beauty and grace. Your mother is well pleased.

"It is most helpful that Justin's love for Ali overflows and speaks of his love for Ali often. Minerva and I observed great trust between Justin and Barrett, and he grows silent when Justin speaks of Ali. Barrett's countenance reveals he is deep in thought and regretful as he listens to Justin. He lingers with Justin only to hear more of their happiness. Barrett's desire to return from exile increases with Justin's every word of love for Ali. I divine he no longer wishes to be on the outside looking in, but his wounded heart is not strong enough for an overture. We must hasten afore he invests in the mining ventures. Soon after, he will fail and give up his life. He deems himself unworthy to remain in this present realm.

"I divined Barrett would be much less resistant to Arielle than we first perceived. Only his wounded heart prevents an overture to Arielle. He listens intently when she speaks of her investments among the investors, and of her knowledge of investing. Barrett's ease will carry forth when they meet this night, for it shall appear to Barrett a miscommunication caused no other clients to arrive at the restaurant.

"From Barrett's thoughts I learned, he would not be resistant to Arielle when he learns of her sister. It would be wise to have the council of Minerva, and your mother in the matter. Arielle deeply loves Barrett, so mayhap she can be enticed to boldness and reveal her heart to him. I perceive Arielle alone would win the day with an act of boldness. The vigorous nudge from Arielle would bridge their hearts and forge a strong bond. Her love is that strong and pure."

"Your insight is most welcome my friend, you discern faces, hearts, and posture well. Your gift of perception and divination would be most welcome tonight if you would grace us with your presence. I feel your gifts shall come to bear and allow mother and Minerva great latitude in which to act. Our rehearsals have not been fraught with difficulty, only resistance that was soon overcome. You my friend shall see difficulty coming where we cannot. Foresight is forearmed."

"Cupid, you honor me with kind your kind words. Much time and labor is required of me in my task to usher mortals to the underworld. Preventing a cataclysm would be most welcome, and lessen the burden of my task. I would be most pleased to be part of a mission of such importance.

"One bit of news I found amusing. Fortuna's attempts to mentor Sors in ways to make diversions appear innocent happenstance fails often. You are correct, Sors is too impulsive and naïve. Fortuna grows in frustration with her son because he causes calamity in all his travels. For three days I have witnessed a tank truck of maple syrup spilled over a large highway, many skunks invaded a grammar school causing great distress and fright, street signs disappeared, and traffic lights acted as if cursed.

"Sors took great delight in observing surfers in Malibu, but thought the waves much too small. Beach houses soon became islands because he misjudged the size of the waves.

"Yet in all his calamities, more good comes from him than evil. The maple syrup caused the road to close so no mortals were harmed when a bridge failed. The skunks revealed an armed intruder in the school as he fled the skunks. The waves in Malibu foiled an arsonist. The American colloquial phrase you quoted, 'I would rather be lucky than good' fits him well."

Cupid laughed and nodded agreement. "He does more good by happenstance than most who labor hard. His lovely disasters do little harm to mortals most of the time, and often brings a smile to my lips. Some have enticed me to peals of laughter. I make him my point of jest and goad him with sarcasm to keep him unaware of his importance. I cling to hope that Fortuna does no harm mentoring Sors. I would prefer Sors learn to temper his impulses and naiveté with Minerva."

Lord Mercury nodded with a smile. "In this we agree, my friend. Until this night."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thirty bored archers milled around as they awaited instructions from Lord Cupid. It seemed the whole of the pantheon was present, but in truth, there were only ten gods. Mercury repeated the news told to Cupid earlier that day to the other gods who agreed to follow the original plan unless happenstance required an alternate ploy. When Mercury finished, Cupid addressed the archers.

"This night we cannot fail humanity by failing number one. I must impress that success is imperative. Listen and heed my words: The Fates have foreseen a cataclysm if we fail number one this night.

"Years ago, a mistake was made that has brought us here. An arrow struck the wrong mortal, and this night's target never recovered from the mistake. That must not happen this night for we shall surely suffer the cataclysm along with humanity. We cannot . . . we must not fail."

"Archers, target number one only. I provided three quivers of arrows to ensure success. Lord Mercury joins us this night and mayhap my friend raises his hand, I shall command cease and stand fast to hear his divination and perception. The goddess's shall receive his council, and together we shall decide to alter the ploy or stay the course.

"Number one is Barrett Mason, and the young maiden is Arielle Wells. Do not allow her beauty to distract you. Stay your focus on Barrett Mason. If a mortal intrudes, do not release your arrow.

"Barrett Mason is of ordinary countenance, but was blessed with an overabundance of intellect and knowledge. The maiden Arielle Wells was blessed by mother with beauty and her intellect equals Barrett Mason. Barrett Mason is not mindful of Arielle's love for him. From her time as a nubile child she has loved him deeply as a woman loves her husband. She is univira, a one-man woman. I know not what diversion Lord Sors shall unleash, so stay your focus on Barrett Mason."

Cupid gestured with his hand. "The maiden Arielle Wells has come."

A silver Acura TLX rental pulled into a parking spot and a beautiful willowy young maiden stepped from the car wearing a white silk blouse under a navy blue blazer with heather grey slacks. Her long dark brown hair wavered in the ocean breeze that was held back in a wide golden clasp. Her dark green eyes glanced quickly around the parking lot. Not seeing very many cars, she was hesitant as she started for the restaurant. Arielle checked in with the maître d then lingered near and waited.

Cupid pointed to a silver Chevrolet Impala rental coming into the parking lot.

"Mr. Barrett Mason has come. Archers, follow him into the restaurant, form the half circle, and await my command."

A man almost thirty years of age, of average height and dark brown hair climbed out of the car and looked around the parking lot. Seeing only a few cars, Barrett walked to the restaurant.

Arielle saw Barrett first as he entered and smiled. "Hi, you're Barrett, right?"

Barrett nodded, "Yes, you're . . .?"

"I'm Arielle. We spoke only briefly a couple times at the meetings." She gestured to the dining room. "I think we're early."

Barrett raised his right eyebrow in concern. "No one else is here?"

Arielle shook her head and gestured to the dining room again. "The dining room is almost empty."

Barrett took a few steps and looked in then at his phone. "Hmm. I sent a meeting maker to everyone for 6:30."

Arielle waggled her phone at him. "Yeah, I got it. I'm on the Deepwell group list."

"I don't get it. One of the guys from Sequoia Group recommended this place and everyone seemed enthused to eat here. Personally, Olive Garden and even Denny's is good enough for me."

Arielle nodded knowingly, "Yeah, me too. I love to cook, so I don't eat out much. If I do, I usually go for comfort food like Italian or Chinese."

Barrett checked his watch then opened the meeting maker app.

"Aw, jeez, no wonder! The time shows 8 pm in the meeting maker. I'd bet everyone didn't want to eat that late and blew it off. I don't blame them either."

Arielle scanned her Android and shook her head when she looked up at Barrett. "No . . . my phone shows 6:30." Arielle held out her phone for Barrett to see.

"What the . . ."

"It's probably a software glitch in the app. Can you report it as a bug in the software?"

Barrett scrolled through the meeting maker app. "Ummm . . . yeah. There's a link at the bottom."

"What do you want to do, Barrett?"

"Well, since we're here . . . you want to stay and talk while we eat?"

"Supper was the only item on my agenda, and I'm hungry."

"Yeah, so am I. I'll talk to the maître d."

The two approached the maître d and explained the miscommunication, but still wanted to eat.

"So, a table for two then?"

"Yes please, if that's not a problem."

"No sir, no problem at all. We're having a really light week, business wise. It's been a really odd week."

Venus whispered in the maître d's ear before he handed two menus to a waiter.

"Marcus, the center window table is free, and I'm sure they'll enjoy the view."

Barrett and Arielle were seated and a couple minutes later, both were sipping water with lemon.

Cupid addressed the archers, "Archers, remember! Do not release an arrow mayhap there is no clear path to Barrett. Focus on Barrett Mason only. Release!" Four goddesses immediately began a chant.

"Quaerite veritatis. Seek the truth."

"Are you from around here Ariel?"

"No, I grew up in the mid-west. I'm here visiting my best friend and was apparently invited by a friend of a friend of a friend. Don't ask me who, but I appreciated the invite. I don't have any investments in mines, or precious metals so this is a first. The prospectus and research I received piqued my interest and I was here in San Diego and had the time, so here I am."

"What do you usually invest in?

"Primarily pharmaceuticals, medical technology, and health care. I have a few investments in the tech sector and a few in software development too. My largest positions are Amazon, and Facebook, because I inherited large blocks of voting stock in both. The very first stock I bought hit big, a ten bagger in United Health Group."

Knowing the current value of that stock Barrett's head rocked back slightly in surprise.

"Wow, a ten-fold investment. How did you manage that?"

"Lots of research and holding long term."

"How did get your start in investing?"

"I got interested in investing when I was ten from watching my dad invest and make trades. I kept asking my dad questions about how he decided which stock to buy and when, and when to sell. Bit by bit dad mentored me, and taught me buying strategies, what key information to look for in a prospectus, investment types, and loss stops. I absorbed everything he taught me about investing. Dad even gave me ten thousand in seed money to start with. I waited until I turned eleven to buy stock in United Health Group. I spent all that time researching, and asking more questions."

1...345678