Cupid's Table

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cupid rolled his eyes making everyone laugh.

"Our difficulty increases greatly, for this night's target is a maiden who is number fifteen on my scroll. I provided two quivers of arrows that they mayhap are require to assist nudging the target to love. The maiden is deeply loved by a virtuous young man who is devoted to her, but she sees it not or believes it not. In his stead the young maiden searches for love in the wrong mortals.

"The young maiden has come, her name is Sophie Stewart, and the young man at her side is Landon Franklin. In the eyes of most mortals, they are but average. This young maiden was chosen because there has been petty disagreement and conflict among the Fates Morta and Decima, which shall surely cause an untimely end of Sophie's life if she stays on her life's path. The sands of time in her hourglass are quickly running out and we must not fail. Sophie's untimely death would extend destruction to her siblings, parents, and Landon even more so."

"We ceased being guardians of humanity millennia ago because we could not put aside our petty jealousies, our desire for selfish gratification, and power. Mayhap we can be a guardian for one this night, and nudge Sophie's heart to Landon and right this wrong. If we are successful, the Fate, Nona, shall spin new thread for Sophie to live a long, full life of love with Landon. You must remain focused regardless of what may take place." Cupid gestured with a hand to the restaurant, "Follow the ploy of the past rehearsals, and await my command."

Sophie was tall and wore her long thick dark red hair in a French braid that hung well below her shoulder blades, and Landon was even taller with a dark tan that contrasted his shoulder length light blond hair. The ocean breeze fluttered the hem of Sophie's floral print sundress and Landon's hair as they chatted on their way to the restaurant.

"I've always wanted to come here Landon. A lot of our friends have raved at how good the steaks are, and the amazing view of the San Diego skyline at night. On most of my dates, we end up at a cheesy neighborhood bar and grill, a hole in the wall restaurant, or a mom and pop sushi place. Going out to dinner with Cody or Craig meant Chipotle' or take-out from Pizza Hut. I guess I'm a cheap date."

Landon shook his head sadly at her. "No, it's the guys Sophie. They don't take the time to know you. They only see the outside, and not the treasure you are inside."

"Aww, you're sweet."

Sophie didn't see Landon cringe because she stopped and pointed. "Isn't that the marina Cody keeps his Catalina 36?

Sophie's wistful, longing expression was like a stinging dart to Landon's soul.

"He used to. He posted on Facebook he sold it because he wanted a true blue-water yacht. The same post showed a picture of a Lagoon 440 catamaran. He posted he found a smoking deal on one in Greece, and flew over weeks ago. He posted he's going to winter there and next spring he's going to party every chance he gets as he island hops east across the Pacific instead of going through the Panama Canal,"

"Oh, that's right. He met that girl Elena from an island in the Aegean."

Sophie's disappointment and longing was obvious to Landon so he lowered his head to hide his pain and looked at the ground as they walked. His quietness and tone of voice, though, hinted as to his true feelings.

"Yeah. The island of Kriti. His last post on Facebook had a picture of him with a different girl though. Her name is Anatola. He's wintering with her on the island of Siros so he's obviously moved on from Elena. Anatola will be like Elena and all the others: Just a faceless notch on the mast of his boat."

Sophie was still wistfully thinking of Cody so Landon's last words didn't register in her mind. A few minutes later Sophie and Landon were seated at the center widow table chatting while sipping their drinks and enjoying the stunning views from their table. Minerva and Venus wended their way through the line of archers and approached Cupid with concern.

Minerva spoke first. "Many hours ago I took liberties and made a request of Fortuna to lead her son north to Malibu. I sensed immeasurable excitement in Sors and feared his excitement would unleash a diversion that would not bode well for this night's rehearsal. I sensed the coming diversion he would unleash should not happen here.

"Most importantly, the past rehearsals communicated love and wisdom through arrows unleashed by the archers and your mother's words. Cupid, this night it must be your words and your arrows. Not to Sophie, but to Landon. Sophie seeks love, but does not seek it in Landon. You must entice Sophie to see Landon's heart through new eyes, for her to see his love for her. Your words of wisdom and love as you touch Landon's arrows shall cause his love for Sophie to overflow from his heart."

Minerva stopped speaking when the waiter brought their steaks to their table and refilled their drinks. Only after Sophie and Landon began eating did Minerva continue.

"Cupid, others only pursued Sophie as a mere trinket, not as the treasure Landon values her. As you have foreseen more than one nudge is required. Landon must contend for Sophie's heart to the very end to prove to her she is his treasure. Indeed! Sophie must see what he keeps hidden and close to his heart. It shall be a long struggle as you have foreseen, and you must ensure Landon does not despair and falter. As I have said, Landon must contend, and fight for Sophie to the very end. Only that shall draw her to his love. It is the only way."

Cupid looked from Minerva to Victoria then to his mother who nodded agreement.

"Bow to her wisdom and succeed, my son. We shall whisper your words to magnify their effect, but we shall not approach unless you call for us."

Cupid looked back to Minerva and nodded.

"So it shall be." Cupid turned to the archers and commanded: "Archers, focus not on me, target Landon only! Release!"

For the first time Cupid unfurled his wings and took flight and hovered above Landon releasing arrows of his own. When his first arrow struck, Cupid began a chant aloud, as he released arrow upon arrow.

"Ne contendatis in toto corde suo. Contend for her heart."

From behind the archers, the five goddesses grasped hands while repeating Cupid's words in whispers to magnify their effect. When the archers completed two sequences Cupid turned and commanded,

"Archer, cease! Cease and stand fast!"

Cupid descended and alighted next to their table. He closed his eyes in deep concentration and resumed chanting as he touched each arrow. He placed his hand firmly on Landon's heart and spoke out loud to greatly impress his words to Landon's heart

"Ne contendatis in toto corde suo. Contend for her heart."

Once each arrow had been touched, Cupid spread his wings and took his place above them once again and commanded,

"Archers, in sequence, release!"

Yet again the five goddesses grasped hands and repeated Cupid's words in whispers. While slicing a bite of meat, Sophie looked across the small table to Landon.

"You're the only guy who will hang with me. All the guys I've dated drop me after a month or so. What's wrong with me, Landon?"

"Aw, sweetie," Landon moaned sadly to her. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. Not a thing. It's them, not you. They take, not give."

Sophie sighed dejectedly while holding a forkful of prime rib. "Yeah. I always end up feeling empty and used. I only want to be loved, Landon, is that too much to ask?"

"You are loved, Sophie. I love you. How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"I know you love me, but it's not the same."

"No?"

"No"

"Why isn't it?"

"It isn't the same because you're my best friend. All through high school and college, we've been through thick and thin, and best friends always love each other. It doesn't mean they're in love."

Landon hesitated with a bite of ribeye on his fork then set it back on his plate.

"Sophie, when you look at me, what do you see?"

"An awesome loyal friend. You're thoughtful and caring, and you're always there to pick me up when I fall to pieces after a breakup. You always seem to know when I'm down, too. Like tonight, I was supposed to go out with Will, but he stood me up. You called me not even two minutes after Will texted me that he was up in Malibu surfing with Tonya because humongous 20' and 30' waves were pounding the beaches.

"You always remember my birthdays, Valentine's day, and my promotions with gifts, flowers, and cards. I always find a thoughtful present or three from you under the tree at Christmas too. You even take off work when I'm sick or when I need a shoulder to cry on. I can tell you anything, and you never take it the wrong way, and whatever I tell you, stays with you. You're a best friend, you're the best friend, Landon. You're always, always there for me. Why can't the guy's I date be like you?" Asked Sophie wistfully.

"Sophie, I'm always there for you because I want to. I hate it when you're down and fall apart. I love seeing you happy. When you're sick, you get really sick and a couple of times I needed to take you to urgent care. Every year I get you gifts for your birthday, Valentine's Day and Christmas because I love you. The guys you date always walk out on you a week or so before, because they don't want to spend their money on you. I won't let jerks like that spoil it for you. You mean everything to me, so if I have it to give, it's yours."

"I know, but Landon it's not romantic when you do those things because you're my best friend, and that's what best friends do."

"Sophie, I don't do those things because I'm your best friend, or because it's expected of me. I do those things because I love you. I've been trying to show you I love you since freshman English in high school. I've been hoping you would see how much I love you, through everything I do for you. Since you don't see it, I'll just say it. Sophie, I'm in love with you. Even though you're my best friend, I'm in love with you too. I fell in love with you the instant you smiled at me and said hi, then sat beside me in freshman English. Through the years I've gotten to know you better than your own mom, and I love everything I know about you."

"Sophie, the flip side of that, you know me like I know you. We know each other's family really well, and most years we spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with each other's families. We've even taken a few vacations together. Countless times I've dropped everything to be your plus one when you asked me to movies, concerts, plays, picnics, and your company Christmas parties. The other guys wouldn't go with you, but I love spending time with you no matter what we're doing.

"Sophie, most of our friends know I'm in love with you, and I get teased a lot for never getting out of the 'friend zone.' Whenever the teasing starts, most of the time you notice the laughing and teasing and ask what's so funny. The stock answer you get is . . ."

Understanding was beginning to slowly set in, and Sophie set her fork down and softly finished his sentence. "It's a private joke."

Landon nodded soberly. "Sophie, romantic relationships work the best when couples are best friends. Couples who are best friends do almost everything together like we already do, and stay close and connected. They just take it a step farther and commit to love each other for better or for worse. Sophie, we've been doing the 'for better or for worse,' for years.

"Who else holds your hair out of the toilet when you're sick from food poisoning from a sushi place? What I don't get is why your dates take you out for sushi in the first place. You don't like fish." Landon picked up his fork and raised the fork full of ribeye. "I brought you here because you love steak and you're worth the best."

"Sophie, all of my favorite memories are things we did together, and there's a laundry list of them. My all-time favorite memory happened the summer we graduated high school. We drove way all the way up to Huntington Beach and had a cookout on the beach before we went grunion hunting during a very high tide. It's the only time you ever went fishing. I think you only caught six or seven because you were so squeamish about picking them up. We ended up soaking wet, but we had a blast.

"Another of my very favorite memories happened in July, right before we started our junior year in college. A bunch of us went hiking and camping up at Yosemite, and you got really sick with the flu. You didn't want to spoil it for everyone else and come all the way back home, so you toughed it out. I stayed behind so I could take care of you. We were up all night two nights in a row together in a sleeping bag because you were so chilled, and couldn't get warm. Sophie, I didn't care that you were sick, because I was in heaven to have you in my arms keeping you warm.

"Every week I know we're going to eat together at least once, maybe twice that week, so when I buy groceries I get your favorites. I save all my vacation time and personal days for when you need me. You've asked me several times why I don't date other girls. Sophie, I don't want anyone else. They're not you.

"Have you ever wondered why your mom and dad include me at your family holiday get-togethers? They figured it out years ago, and my mom and dad stopped asking why I don't date because they figured it out too. That's why they always include you.

"Sophie, almost all of our friends know I'm in love with you. The only person that doesn't know is you."

Cupid saw the tears pooling in Sophie's eyes and commanded, "Archers, cease! Cease and stand fast!"

Cupid descended and alighted before his mother and spoke softly.

"Mother, I've done all I can. We must adopt a new ploy. Sophie's heart greatly resists Landon's words. Please, take the goddesses and speak to her heart. Her mistrust and fear of abandonment stays her heart closed. Mayhap five goddesses speaking directly to her heart shall be sufficient to nudge it open."

Venus looked to Victoria then Minerva, and both nodded agreement. All five went to Sophie and placed their hands one atop the other over Sophie's heart and began speaking in unison over and over:

"Ante vos amor est amor tu expetis. The love before you is the love you covet."

Instead of opening her heart, their words caused Sophie's fears and insecurities to rear up and inflame her resistance to trust Landon. Conflict and confusion reigned in her heart and warred against what she so desperately wanted. Unable to face her best friend and hurt him even more, she abruptly got up from the table and ran out of the restaurant crying. Knowing this was a matter of the heart and beyond his ability, Cupid spoke only one word. "Mother" then gestured with is eyes to follow Sophie.

Venus nodded and grasped the hands of two goddesses, but all five hastened after Sophie. Outside the restaurant, the goddesses found Sophie afar off at the water's edge crying, sobbing hard. Venus saw in Sophie's heart that her fears of abandonment caused the conflict and confusion that reigned in her heart. Venus gathered her thoughts then whispered to the four goddesses. All agreed to stay the course and went to Sophie and placed their hands over her heart, one on top of the other and this time they spoke aloud in their effort to nudge to her heart open.

"Ante vos amor est amor tu expetis. The love before you is the love you covet."

Sophie heard the words but couldn't trust and resisted even more. All five goddesses grasped her arms and pulled her from the water's edge to get her attention, then Venus whispered to the goddesses. They all agreed then joined hands to magnify their presence

"Revelare. Reveal"

Five goddesses appeared before Sophie's very eyes, and very gently, Venus called her name.

"Sophie."

Sophie startled at their appearance, not comprehending.

"What . . . where did . . . who are . . .? What's happening? Where did you come from?"

"Sophie, is your heart so blinded you cannot see the heart of the man who contends for you?"

"What! Landon?"

"Yes"

"But he's my best friend."

"He loves you with all his heart."

"I know he loves me, but is it enough? Will it last? I feel empty and used when every time a guy walks away. I'm always left alone."

"Sophie . . . has Landon yet walked away? What more has he to prove?"

"I don't know. Nothing?"

"Do you love him?"

"Yes! I have always loved him." Wailed Sophie and finally admitted.

"As a wife would love her husband?"

Venus's question struck the raw nerve, the very thing she so wished for, and her eyes went wide that she suggested it.

"What? Married? I . . . I don't know." After several long silent moments she admitted reluctantly in a half whisper. "Yeah . . . maybe."

"Landon would surrender his life for you, Sophie. Is it so hard to love someone who would do so for you?"

"No, I guess not."

"Look into his heart, Sophie. Not at the man, but his love. See it with your heart, not your mind."

"How am I . . . what am I supposed to see?"

"That he is not your father who would abandon you, and leave you helpless and alone as you felt so many years ago, and yet now feel? Has Landon ever faltered in giving of his love so generously in many ways and without end? Is that not the love you would seek from a husband? He said truly You mean everything to him, and if he has it to give, it is yours. Is he not there for you always? Does he withhold any love from you? No? Is it you who withholds love?"

"We're best friends! I don't want that to end." Sophie wailed again.

"You do not trust in him."

"Of course I trust him. He's the only guy I fully trust."

"No, Sophie, you do not. You trust him not with your heart. Give it to him to possess, and trust in his love. He shall not fail you, for you are his treasure. It has been said, Where your treasure is, there shall your heart be also. You already own his heart, you must give yours in return. "

"How do you know that?"

Venus gestured to the five goddesses. " We have always been, and always shall be. I am called Venus, goddess and protector of love, she is Victoria, goddess of victory who helps overcome in battles. She is Minerva, goddess and protector of wisdom. This is Suadela who encourages many to romance and love. This is Concordia who moderates understanding and agreement between a husband and wife. Do you now understand the means of our knowledge?"

"Yes, but I thought . . ."

"You thought gods would stop being? Not so. We have been forgotten."

"So, I'm supposed to marry Landon?"

"Sophie, if that is what you wish. It is your choice, not your fate. If that is your choice, the whole of the pantheon stands at the ready to bless your union. Landon's love shall not fail you."

"How are you so sure Landon wants to marry me?"

Venus grinned at Sophie then laughed, "Ask of him what is on the chain around his neck that he keeps hidden and close to his heart. He has carried it many years but has never revealed it to anyone. Come, Sophie. Let us take you to your love. He awaits you, as he has for many years."

The five goddesses shepherded Sophie back into the restaurant, and when Landon saw her with the gorgeous women, he was confused, and wary. Sophie saw his expression and took Venus' hand.

"Landon, I'd like you to meet my new friends. They explained that you love me like a man loves his wife. Do you really love me like that? And what is it you keep on a chain around your neck?"

Landon had always kept it hidden, so he looked at Sophie in surprise and asked reluctantly thinking Sophie would reject him yet again.

"How do you know about that?"

"Well, I don't actually know, I only know something is there." Sophie pointed to Venus. "She told me."

1...345678