Danny and Elise Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Elise absently played with the suds before leaning back and closing her eyes.

Don't be an idiot, Elise. Her conscience reprimanded her.

Fuck off she replied in her head, breaking into a fit of giggles at the absurdity of it.

Her mind wandered for a few minutes after she calmed down. Until a song suddenly popped up that she hadn't heard in years.

Tender is the night

Lying by your side

Tender is the touch

Of someone that you love too much

Tender is the day

The demons go away

Lord I need to find

Someone who can heal my mind

Come on, come on, come on

Get through it

Come on, come on, come on

Love's the greatest thing

Come on, come on, come on

Get through it

Come on, come on, come on

Love's the greatest thing

That we have

I'm waiting for that feeling

I'm waiting for that feeling

Waiting for that feeling to come

Oh my baby

Oh my baby

Oh why

Oh my

Tender is the ghost

The ghost I love the most

Hiding from the sun

Waiting for the night to come

Tender is my heart

I'm screwing up my life

Lord I need to find

Someone who can heal my mind...

Elise had started crying without realizing, so caught up in the lyrics of the song. They hit too close to home. She was amazed she could remember as many of them as she did. She was drunk as a skunk and couldn't remember the last time she had actually listened to the Blur song. She and Danny had heard it on a movie and Elise had become somewhat obsessed with it for awhile. Of all the nights, though, why did she have to remember it now? The earlier merriment the alcohol had tricked her into feeling took a nasty turn.

Elise fell into another one of her crying fits. Tiredness and overwhelming sadness weighed down on her. She was so, so tired of crying. She was tired of going to support groups that didn't help her feel any better. She was tired of trying to pretend she was a strong person. She was tired of going through the motions everyday. She was tired of being sad. She was tired of being.

Elise spied her razor in the corner of her eye.

It would be so easy. Quiet. Relatively quick and painless. A matter of minutes, if you do it right. No more sorrow. No more crying. Who knows. Maybe you'll even get to see Danny wherever you go after you die.

Cries from her bedroom beyond the bathroom door broke Elise from her thoughts. It sounded like Kate had had a nightmare. She quickly hopped out of the tub and wrapped a towel around herself haphazardly as she stumbled into the bedroom.

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" she sat on the bed, cradling her almost 2 1/2 year-old on her lap. Had it really been 9 months already since Danny had died?

Kate finally started to calm down after a few minutes of being rocked and spoken to soothingly, her blue eyes blinking slower and slower in the dim light.

"Sshh. There you go," Elise stroked her hair several more times until she was out for good again. She laid her gently back on the bed before creeping to the bathroom to let the water out of the tub and turn the light off. Elise climbed into bed next to her daughter after throwing on one of Danny's old t-shirts and pair of boxer briefs, as she did on occasion when she knew the boys weren't likely to join her in bed.

Elise pulled the top of the black shirt up to her nose and inhaled deeply. She never washed his old clothes. She knew it was kind of gross, but how else would she hold on to at least his scent?

"You're going to be ok, you know?"

"Danny?" she didn't know whether he was an alcohol-induced illusion or if she had finally gone off the deep end and she didn't care. Seeing him, lying right there in their bed, and hearing his voice was enough...But it tormented her too.

"You can't keep doing this, though. You know that, sweetheart."

Tears filled her eyes. Elise swore she could feel him touch her hair, just like he always did when she got upset. Maybe she was losing her mind.

"You're not really here," she whispered, not wanting to wake Kate up again.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes," she replied indignantly. "Yes, it matters. I can't keep going on without you," she struggled to keep quiet.

"I'm messing everything up. I don't know what to do."

"You just need to go to sleep, baby."

"What?"

"Go to sleep," he continued stroking her hair. "Everything will be better in the morning."

Elise was losing the battle of keeping her eyes open.

"Don't leave," her words were barely audible.

"I'll always be here with you," she felt his hand over her chest.

12