Death Falls: Jane Doe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the blankets she collapses and gasps out to Trudy what they have found. Trudy listens to Mike on the cell phone.

"... looks like it could involve foul play with the torn clothes and all. They could have been torn in the falls or as a result of a struggle."

"No, she is stone dead. No indication of life whatsoever."

"We'll be here at the falls and show them the way."

"Yes, that was Mike Claymore and family."

"I'll watch for them."

He punches 'end' and puts the phone back on his hip. "They are sending out a car and an ambulance. Can you watch for them up by the road, Rick?"

Julie goes with him.

Trudy says, "I wonder how she got here?"

Marlene shudders, "Down the falls! She must have fallen in the river up above."

"No. I mean, how did she come to be here at the falls. I didn't see any car up above that she could have been in. There were two cars besides ours in the parking lot and Mike said he heard both of them leave. Mike's observation that she is stone cold would be as a result of the ice-cold water, but it also seems to mean that she has been dead for some time, at least over an hour. That would be my guess. Why hasn't somebody missed her and come looking? Do you think she lives locally and possibly alone or with someone who's at work? She may have come up here for a walk and fell in by accident... or on purpose. Hmmmm."

"What do you mean? ...Oh! Suicide! What a horrible thought. Surely someone wouldn't choose to jump into that ice cold water and...?" She shivers and her teeth chatter.

Mike says, "Marlene, have some hot coffee. Drink it black and hot, right from the thermos. You're shivering all over and its nerves as much as temperature. Come over here in the sun. You're on the blanket in the shade."

He gives her his lawn chair in the sun and pours a thermos cup of the hot coffee. She sips on it and warms her hands on the sides of the cup. Mike rubs her shoulders. He stops and listens. "I think I hear a siren. They must be on their way up here."

Shelly and Jan hear it as well and Crystal says, "I hear it, too. Woo eee, woo eee, woo eee!" Her and Jan run around the blanket making like fire trucks or ambulances with their sirens going.

Marlene says, "Stop that! We won't be able to hear them when they arrive." To Trudy she says, "I'm no good around violence or bloodshed. My nerves are shot for the day. I hope you don't mind my speaking to Crystal like that."

"Don't worry. They were getting on my nerves, too." Mike grins behind his wife's shoulders at Trudy. He knows she is just empathizing with her. Trudy has nerves of steel. Nothing fizzes her. She's proved that many times in the past.

Mike heads up towards the road and meets Rick and Julie with an RCMP Officer in tow. Mike introduces himself and says he made the call. He explains where the body is. As a medic appears at the head of the trail down from the road, the officer waves at him and hollers, "Down in the pool by the foot of the falls. Go in behind the washrooms at the parking lot." He says to Mike, "We'll go up along the creek."

They set off up towards the falls and meet the medics by the pool. They shake their heads and the officer produces a camera. He starts taking photos. When he's finished the medics pull the body from the water and he inspects it. He takes a few more photos, then waves at the medics. They load the sodden corpse onto a stretcher and take her away up the bank towards the washrooms.

Two more uniformed officers and a plainclothes officer approach from downstream, so they go to meet them. They shout to each other then walk back to the pool. After a few minutes they walk down the river away from the falls. The plain clothed officer shakes Mike's hand and says, "Sgt. Craig Forester at your service. You must be Mike Clayburn. Dispatch said you called this in."

"Claymore! Mike Claymore, that's my name. Yeah, I called it in. My wife and I were walking up near the falls and she spotted the body. I checked for a pulse, then called you guys."

"You any idea who she is?"

Mike shakes his head, "No idea. Never saw her before."

"Did you see any other articles of clothing or such in the creek?"

"Nothing. I saw her clothes were ripped but that could have been from the fall over the rocks, although it did occur to me that she might have been involved in a scuffle."

"No sign of a purse or anything to identify her." Mike shakes his head.

"Must be a local woman. Walked up here to end it all. Bernie, take Carl and walk around the neighborhood. See if you can find anyone missing. Marty, you check with the hospital and get her prints. We'll run them but I doubt it will do any good. She's probably a housewife and never had her prints taken. Make sure that sawbones knows enough to look for any unusual marks from a possible struggle or scuffle. I'm going to be here for a while checking out the area. See you later back at the detachment."

Mike says, "You need a hand checking up along the creek?"

"You're a private dick, aren't you? Seems to me I should know your name but I can't place it."

"I've worked on a few cases in the last year or two. The Florence Hansen case in POCO and just a few months ago with Staff Sergeant Frank Wonetwo on the Pauline Martin case."

"Oh yeah, the native nudist model out by Agassiz. That turned into a bloody affair, didn't it? I know who you are now."

"I could work one side of the creek and you the other. We might be able to spot her purse or where she went in. Who knows?"

"How would she get to the other side of the creek?"

"I don't know. There must be a place up above where you can get across because I've seen kids on the other side lots of times."

"I suppose there are wide shallow spots down below where a person could get across or they could come up the other side from the car bridge."

"I doubt that. Look how steep the bank is across from us. She'd have to be part mountain goat." He grins.

"Uhhh, unless there's a trail up over that spot I think you're right. Let's go up top and see what we can see."

Richard runs to catch up with them. "Can I come along, Dad?"

"Go back and make sure your mother knows where you are and stay behind us. No running ahead or you'll have to go back." He runs back and talks to Marlene, then catches up with them on the access road above the parking lot.

Mike is saying, "... only two other cars besides ours and they both left before we found the body. I think you're right. She walked up here from some local house in this area."

"Some old biddy who no one visits anymore and the poor old soul just ups and goes to the kitchen one day, turns on the gas or goes out and jumps in the river. We see it all the time. It's an awful shame. Most of them are interesting people who nobody cares about any more."

"Right." Mike has to raise his voice because they are not far from the falls on the access road. "It would take a 4X4 to climb up here."

"They do on the weekends. Weekend warriors with their 4bys flood this area. Drive us crazy with complaints. Dirt bikes, trail bikes, ATVs, they all fill these mountains on weekends all summer. Here and Davis Lake. It's a nuisance. All up the logging roads and out the power line access road above the falls here."

"There's an access road up here?"

"Barricaded by boulders and gates but they just drive around them or over them. They're trying to find the lakes that feed the falls. There's a couple up in there. They even hike up above here on foot."

"Must be a nightmare policing."

"We don't even try. It's all unregulated areas, crown land and such. Big timber leases and loggers. We only get involved when called on. Forest Service has responsibility for most of it and they're spread plenty thin."

"I guess we must be above the falls here. Shall we cut over to the river and see?"

"Not much point. We'll have to go higher to find any area where a person could cross over. From this upper landing the access road curves around under the power lines and follows them parallel with the creek. We'll go up a bit higher and cut in over to the creek." They keep climbing and chatting. Another ten minutes finds them under the heavy power lines and soon after Craig suggests they cut across to the creek.

When they reach it Mike surveys the swift flowing water and says, "No way to cross over here. Should we go up or down?"

"We're not that far from the falls. We were climbing on a big circle but in relation to the falls, we haven't gone far. Let's go up a bit higher. Be careful, young fellow. Don't fall in up here. You've seen what happened to that woman."

Richard calls out, "I'm being careful but isn't that skid marks like someone heel would make, down there by the edge?"

"Where?"

"See, by those ferns there and on the edge of that rock."

"Good Lord, I think he's found something. Let's see if we can get a better look without killing ourselves." Carefully he climbs down the steep bank and notes where something has crashed down through the underbrush. He climbs back up. "Bear! Looks like an old lady and her cub. Came down to get a drink of water. Goes off up along the bank a ways. You got good eyes though, young fellow."

Richard sticks out his chest, "I'm part Indian. My grandmother was Mohawk and so is my Dad. I'm Stout Willow, but you can call me Rick." He holds out his hand and Craig shakes it with a smile.

They follow the creek to where a fallen tree crosses it and the branches have all been cut from the top to form a narrow bridge. Craig calls out, "I'll work my way down to the falls on the far side. You fellows work down your side. Keep a sharp eye out for anything." He climbs the bank on the far side and starts working his way down river.

Never straying far from the bank, Mike and Richard backtrack to where the bear tracks sighting took place and then start really watching the bank. In some rather precarious spots they are unable to directly observe the bank but know that no one could go into that area without falling in and they would have had to cross their path.

As they near the head of the falls they enter an area of relative quiet and on some rocks jutting out over the river from which one would be able to look over the edge of the falls they spot a torn shred of material. They both spot it at the same time and Richard starts to rush ahead, but Mike grabs his arm.

"Hold on! You're not going out there! We'll mark the area in our minds and let the police collect those shreds. They will want to check for possible prints of more than just the woman. She may have been pushed. Where are we?"

"Up ahead there is a wooden platform. We are just beyond the lookout point from the upper landing stage. We came up that far with Mom."

"O.K. Let's watch for Craig. We'll signal him what we've found. He must be right across from us or just ahead." They watch the opposite bank and soon they see bushes move, then Craig's head and shoulders. Mike waves. Craig stops and waves back. Mike points out at the rocks. Craig looks and shrugs. Mike points and pulls at his shirt. Craig looks confused so Mike waves him to come back across and they head back upstream to meet him.

As they come back down to the area where the scrap of material is hanging on the rocks, Mike explains that they did not go out into the area where the material is or below that point so her tracks could be traced and any tracks of anyone accompanying her could be noted. Craig compliments him on his shrewdness and says he doesn't have anyone he can trust to track the woman and any possible partner as good as he and his son. "See what you can come up with."

Mike explains to his son what they are looking for, any sets of tracks that go out to the outcropping of rock. They don't know what her shoe prints will be like because she didn't have any shoes on when her body was found. They search the ground out to the rocks and come up with two sets of female tracks and a set of male ones in runners. They all seem to be about the same weight except one pair of female tracks may be a bit lighter. Both females were in flats. As they near the rock Mike cuts a tall thin sapling and strips the branches from it. He leaves two fingers at the end like a slingshot only slenderer and longer.

He reaches with the long wand and carefully catches the material on the fingers and rolls the stick to ensnare the cloth, then lifts it up and away from the rock and hauls it in. He glances back and Craig is clapping his hands. He calls out, "Bravo!" Careful not to disturb any of the prints they return to where Craig is standing and Mike asks him if he has any police tape. He nods and pulls a roll out of his jacket pocket. They cordon off the area so no one will mess up the prints and Mike shows him a sketch he has made of the three sets of prints.

"We'll keep an eye open for these three sets on the way back to that platform over there. I suspect that is where they came from."

Craig says, "We still don't know if they all came out there together or if a couple came out to that point and later the woman came out there alone."

"True, but every little bit of evidence helps."

"Oh, you're right there." He looks over the piece of cloth. "I think its part of her blouse." Mike nods.

They watch the ground and Richard spots the prints again. Sure enough they go back to the platform; which is a fenced lookout over the falls. There are many prints here.

Sgt. Craig Forester suggests they head along the trail down by the falls and watch for any more debris in the water or caught on the rocks. They do that but come up empty handed. They spot garbage left by careless tourists but nothing that resembles anything the woman might have had or that they could link to her in their minds. When they get down to the blanket, Marlene pours them all coffee. While drinking it they search along in front of the blanket and Mike comes up with a woman's shoe and a white cotton glove.

He asks Craig, "Did she impress you as the type of woman to wear gloves in this summer heat?"

"I know a lot of elderly, even some middle aged women who wear light white cotton gloves in the summer. Could be hers and the same with the shoe. It's a flat and resembles the one set of prints we found." They finish their coffee and head on downstream to the car bridge. They find another piece of the same material as they found above the falls. "More of the blouse."

Under the bridge Mike finds a used French safe and says it must be some young lovers' favorite trysting spot as he finds another. Craig just grins. Below the bridge they fish out a pair of soiled panties and add them to their pile of treasures. Next is a man's running shoe in poor repair and then a pile of assorted garbage. They give up and head back upstream to the bridge.

Craig uses his radio to call first Bernie, then Carl. They report no luck in finding anyone missing from the immediate area. He has them come to pick them up. It's Bernie who shows up with the cruiser. "Carl is still checking down the end street. Buyers Road, I think it is."

"We'll drop you folks off back up at the falls, Mike. Thanks for your help this afternoon. If we get a positive I.D. on the victim, I'll give you a call." Mike gives him his card. "I still think she's local. How else would she get up there?"

"Unless she was pushed."

"Ahhh, I doubt it. Suicide. That's my guess. Or it could have been an accident, but no purse or other I.D. I think it was suicide. She walks out there and says, 'Good-bye cruel world' and boom! That's it!"

They pull in at the falls area and Bernie let's them out. "Thanks again, guys. You got a sharp son there, Mike. Watch him! He'll be taking the business from you one of these days."

They all laugh as the cruiser pulls away.

"Do you think she took her own life, Dad?"

"No. I think she was with another couple and she was pushed."

"So do I. I saw one lady's print that was deeper by the rock and I think it was when she was pushing the other lady."

"You saw it, too. Why didn't you say something."

"I was sure you saw it and you didn't say anything so I didn't either. Did I do right?"

"You sure did, son. You're quite a detective. Let's wait and see who she turns out to be. Maybe we'll have another case here, yet."

Trudy watches them return and says, "What are you two conspiring about?" They laugh and Mike says he'll tell her later.

"Is there enough for two hungry guys to have supper there?"

"Sure thing. Dig in. There are lots of goodies to eat there yet. The rest have been nibbling all afternoon."

They help themselves to garlic sausage and rolls. Marlene and the girls come back up from the creek and have another bite with them. She feels a lot better now and asks Mike what they were able to find out. He fills her in on their afternoon. He says they are going to have to go before long. He has some stake out work to take care of later. Trudy looks mystified but says nothing.

They pack up and cart the baskets, blankets and other paraphernalia up the bank to the car. Everyone is laughing and joking. They seem to have had a pretty good day even with the one exception. They pull out and head for home.

When Mike has helped Trudy to load her stuff in her car he goes to kiss her good bye and she whispers fiercely, "What stake out?"

"Shhhh, that's my business."

"If it's security business, there better be some paperwork on it."

"Can't I work for myself once in a while?"

"Is that what it is?"

"I'm doing a favor for a friend." He kisses her.

"Male or female?"

"A male friend, as a matter of fact."

"Okay. Kiss me again, darling."

He does and she prepares to leave. As she backs out he waves at her and Crystal, then turns to see everyone else waving as well. He starts to unload their stuff and everyone pitches in to help him. Soon it's all in the house. Julie and Richard go back out and sit on the step together.

"Do you think your Mom will let you come with us tomorrow night to the club for the weekend?"

"I'll ask her tomorrow. I'm sure she will. It'll be too late tonight when she gets in from work to ask her. I'll call you right away when I know."

"That'll be real neat. I like the club."

"I do too. I didn't think I would but it's real friendly out there and it's so free to run around without clothes. I hated to come home last time because I'd have to put clothes on again. Isn't that awful?"

"I know what you mean. It feels so natural. I hope she says you can come."

"Don't fret it. I'm sure she will."

Mike helps Marlene sort out the picnic stuff and shakes out the blankets for her. She asks, "Will you be late tonight?"

"No later than I can help. If it runs on much past midnight I'll be quiet when I come in. Will you leave some coffee on for me?"

"Sure. I'll fix it before I go to bed. What time are you going?"

"After dark so I can't be seen. Probably around ten."

"Maybe you should lay down for an hour, then."

"I may. I have to check on some paperwork first. I'll be in the office." He goes downstairs and digs into files and reports, then pays some bills by phone. Wrapping everything up he comes upstairs and lays down on the couch in the living room. Marlene wakes him at ten.

"The kids are taking their baths. Have you got time to tuck them in with me?"

He kisses her and says, "I'll make the time."

Marlene goes into the bathroom to check on Jan and Mike steps into Richard's room. "Well, sport, all ready for bed?"

"Yeah. Did you ask Julie's Mom if she could go this weekend?"

"I'll take care of it. You get a good night's sleep. Good night, son."

"Good night, Dad. Thanks." Mike nods.

"What's he thanking you for?" It's Marlene and she's standing in the hall shooing Jan into her bedroom.

"For letting him help out with the search today."

"Oh." They go into the girls' room and Mike tucks them in. They kiss him as he bends over them and he bids them a good night. Marlene does the same. They go downstairs and Marlene says she is heading for her exercise equipment. Mike grabs his briefcase and says he will see her later. He kisses her and leaves.

1...56789...27