Deviant Empire Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The hell?!"

He expected the man to charge... he did not expect his other hand to come up and a bolt of electricity to flash towards him, just a mere instinct making the deity slip aside and dodge actual lightning. THEN he charged... or leaped, in his case... there was quite a distance between them and that supernatural secret agent pounced like a lion, sword coming closer to get side stepped. But the surprise was wearing out. Left hand came forward to send the guy back in his place with force unrelenting.

"Ah, so THIS is what I've been missing. What do you know... Alright. Time to have a bit of fun. Guess you hid around here with none of us any wiser... maybe dominating from the shadows. All I gotta ask is... Are ya winning, son?" The grin on his face showed he was going to take this far less seriously.

Since he did not look into them... it was fitting for the song to play over their conflict to be... The Unseen Ones. Metal as heavy as can be playing hard from the first moment. James took a deep breath as his eyes lit up and that grin was downright maniacal. Adjust the blade's power a bit down and make it block that thing. HE did not have to follow science and could make this happen. Analysis of the man to hit him just hard enough... There we go. Challenge... at least until he decides otherwise.

His opponent did not stumble to the ground, falling on his feet, heels digging in, once again rushing forward for a strike as decisive as could be. Blade block, direct it upwards... follow up with kick as he tries to do the lightning trick. Actually... he could do better. One more adjustment. Yep... called it. Closing in did not work as well, he opted to keep distance and do that lightning again. Intercept with sword. Void crackled with electricity for a mere moment before he spun around to swing and point it to launch it back. Not ready for that one... Hit him straight on. That suit is clearly stronger than it shows.

Rush forward, swing intentionally to cause a blade lock and... mental finger snap. Time has stopped. The outsider let his perception slip outside the stream of action to get a much more in detail look at the man. His device made no scientific sense. He might as well be holding a piece of paper with "laser sword" written on it that you just made real. Shoes seemed to be giving boosts like they were jet powered. Again, no damn sense. Not even that glove on his left arm that let him shoot lightning. Suit could be achieved, though it did not follow the proper idea. Under it... arms, body... everything... augmented with cybernetics. But not the kinds of logical construction. The man was just make believe. But those effects were real. Alright, he knew what they were. James would have a word with Lucy after this.

Time resumes. He expected a kick to the core, but not for the man to stomp on his foot. Proceed with elbow smash to the face. And continue. They clashed for minutes in a fight that James was intentionally dragging on... taking a few hits here, but dealing far more. Slowly wearing him down until the superpowered person started to slow down. Bloodied and beaten. Coughing and doubling over... the red coated horror walking slowly towards him to take that final moment. Much more serious as the final notes were played.

"Fantasy's over."

Full power and cut even through that sword, through his held up hand with metal replacing far too much flesh... and through skull. One swing to the side to clean the blade... not that he needed to. This was all drama. Form blown in the wind... and cut. Recording finished and made available to everyone.

He had one destination.

*

By the time they got home, it was afternoon. Filled with food they found all around the place, with a good amount of shopping to put away... food, outfits, medicine, house supplies.... Drugs. They had stopped by a store that specialized in such products, all refined to be as free from addiction and issues as could be... The two did not go for any heavy stuff, despite being able to take stuff that would make a day very interesting.

Links would start chirping with messages to look at the new channel they had available... and so would the three be reminded to see what James had done. Just as the galaxy got a bit quiet. At Eve's suggestion... they got some pills to fight nausea. Taken just as they got started with the stowing away, they would hit by the time they got seated to find that video. The mood was far better in the room before they started.

While his opening speech did make them crack a smile, the slaughter that followed was so visceral, so real and terrifying that they could only get quiet with eyes opening wide. Will knew that the man wanted to scare people, but this was damn terrifying. Only the knowledge that he was fine and good made him not shake. They were cracking jokes about this earlier. Now... this was no joke. His face was serious to an intimidating degree, eyes through which the boy could see that rage burn, a tranquil fury as he executed people with precision.

Judge and Jury. They felt a bit played, but the two had walked into this openly, with him hiding nothing. Now they were seeing the execution. Not hidden away behind a screen as you just acknowledged that the man would do nothing more, but witnessing it... perhaps this was a show for him as well... to see the consequences of his actions. He could have chosen more... or less. And when one judges so can their actions have consequences... they should be very certain of what will follow.

It was a true slaughter... those people just ran... but they could see the small seconds in which the man would glance at someone and then just look away rather than turning on them. Those people were not on the list. Neither were those who could walk away from the event. By the end he was outright hunting them.

The song was the only good distraction. Astoria got its wish and gained a song to represent their god again. The Phantom Divine. The man who died and came back to go higher than before. Yet the boy also found comfort in parts of that melody... the declaration that there is still hope. Yes... that was the point. For all the others he skipped over... the billion that James would spare and give another chance to... there is still hope for them. Obviously, that song would get played to refusal in the following days.

And then... him. Even the audience could feel the weight of the situation going down as the man slipped down from deadly serious into just serious. And then surprised. And then joking. Eve was the one to tell them that there ain't no laser swords... and Win echoed the man's words as cybernetic James Bond showed his strength.

But they could see that this fight was being intentionally made more dramatic, spectacular, tight... they could see it in his eyes. The man was playing with the guy and could cut him down at any time. Will felt creeped out by just a look from that other guy, so he could approve of him being taken down several notches... kicked down the stairs by James. None of them had any idea what the hell the guy was... and might never know if for once they could not delete any footage or record demonstrating their existence. He outed them by accident... and all according to someone's plan.

Silence fell as the footage ended. Even if that fight was much more entertaining... seeing the man they knew rather than a machine... all of this was very serious. There was a temptation to call him and ask what the hell that other guy was... but at the same time... there was a fear, even as they were certain of their safety. James could be a horror when he wanted to. And even these who knew him shuddered at the idea of him being in the room. How might others react?

News were welcome more to see how this affected him. The empire journalists were far more tempered, taking his speech at face value and assuming that all those brutally murdered were being quite the harm to society. They could also check out news from back home... the Sentry array that gave them real time awareness of all the movements in the galaxy could also pick up HBO. Obviously, they reacted far worse than the previous anchors... they found records of his life, showed old pictures of the man, interviewed people he knew that were continuously badmouthing him... perhaps they were selective in their clips shown and some considered he might have a point. People practically knew politicians were up to no good. But there needed to be one story. The story of a mass murderer sent by a genocidal empire to destabilize the planet through acts of terrorism. Partially right. He did want to shake the status quo and this was very much terrorism.

At first, Will felt bad for how... without naming him... his old people were shaming him. His sister could see that turmoil and a silent hand was there on his shoulder with a look to say he is not what they say... just as the empire was not what they claimed. No, he had to gather spirit and stare those willing or ignorant liars in the eye to call out their bullshit. Question everything... especially when you are armed with reason. They knew nothing and were only trying to make this look like something it was not... This was something that the planet needed.

Cleanup.

Their newly brought drugs would serve them well to help relax after... just some fine weed to help them relax. Even their worker could enjoy it and let troubles fly away like little butterflies. Some easy music put on as they just... chilled.

Maybe later they could summon the courage to ask the god over.

*

You needed a fine eye to see the crows' feet in the woman's eyes as she waited for him on that couch, the outsider appearing with an expression that showed... annoyance and defeat. Steps taken closer without a word as he noticed that detail.

"Alright, laugh it up. Should have looked closer." He could tell when he was bested of his own mistake.

"I am."

"So... we've got ascended people around. That's what I saw, right? People who sort of got closer to god in power level."

"Closer indeed." Her tone was still level, save for that little spark of amusement. Like watching a child stumble.

"Is that what I am?"

"Their path can lead to such heights and higher."

James crossed his arms as it became easier to confront Lucifer armed with this knowledge.

"And here I thought I was unique. I had an inkling. So, similar rules apply... big moment of ascension, belief and will shaped into power with no regard to the actual rules of the universe, belief of others empowering them? And when they get strong enough, they can step higher up."

"Correct. See... now the time is right."

"Any around? God level? That guy could probably turn a regular person inside out but I could just... overpower him at will."

"No. And there are fewer than you might think. What was it that clever man said.... The plural of wizard is war. They do not cooperate... they fight each other to the death until they are far apart, the borders of their territory being constant places of dispute, either fought directly... or indirectly."

"So, maybe I'm looking at a few hundred or maybe a thousand."

"Five left."

"FIVE?!" Beat. "They claim an entire fucking continent?"

"Similar rules apply. Ambition, pride, no concern over lesser beings. And you... have shown them to the world."

"So that's why you wanted me to broadcast these. To reveal them. Strange that they are not deleting what's in there. Too much belief power from the empire?" James was starting to feel good knowing he's got a lot of people here who believe in him.

"No. They simply cannot fight something above their level. They are not... as you might say... a god. You are. Even had that man overcome your power, it is simply inevitable... and you could tell."

"Yeah. I could just snap them out of existence if I wanted to." Beat. "So there are levels."

"If you can call them that. Dimensions. Your choice of fanfare is quite fitting."

"Thanks. Dimensions. Ah, like that... other level I am on. They can't get there. They can't be there."

"They can exist there, but without climbing to your power, it is a decisive game. Like a man trying to murder a sun. Only when they could match it could they face it."

"So... no challenge. Got it." Beat. "You seem to be enjoying this."

"I am."

"Well, guessing you had a nice, unpleasant welcome for those I just sent over."

"With confetti and fireworks." She was sarcastic despite the straight expression. But there was indeed a much expected arrival.

"And some hard punishments since those guys are back of the list."

"Especially him."

James had to think a bit on what that meant. And noticed he had been a fool again.

"They're the ones in the final row. Just... worst of the worst. So damn comfortable with evil that they are confident in it."

"Until an outsider arrived."

"Guess they don't expect someone from above to be concerned with lesser beings."

"And with pride comes the fall."

"You are really enjoying this. Tempted to seek them out... but I bet they will seek me out when I step on their turf."

"Such blinding arrogance." Short words, deep impact from her. And yet the man was becoming comfortable with this visage. Or was she slowly opening up?

"Well, I think I gave them enough time to stew in their own crapped pants. I'm gonna get back to it. Assume you will be watching."

"When do I not?"

He would not answer that question, just letting the form disappear. He let that pause to both foster a sense of safety to shatter and let the realization fall over them. And he could relax with a lower profile scene. Ah, a nice police department rampant with corruption who arrest and threaten people to fill their pockets. Another song for the occasion from his soundtrack. Those sounds were not made by a guitar as he kicked the front door in.

The cops will know what hit them.

*

Right now, Harry could not give a shit that a couple hundred members of congress were killed by some guy in a red coat... allegedly. No, his trouble was.... A much more scary monster. His very angry wife. After giving himself time off so any shred of that side to be tied up in a corner with a duct taped mouth... he made the walk of shame to that room... and Jess let him in just before letting herself out. Her smile showed this was going to be painful.

Head bowed, the man walked in the room as the woman looked more cross, arms held in front of her like a shield, but he should summon an apology.

"I should not have doubted you. Fucked up." Practically moaning in sadness.

"Yes." Her tone was low.

"You're not cheating on me... or trying to get that thing with the kids to happen."

"And?"

"And I will hear you out. And not push you away just because of what other people tell me to."

She gave a long sigh before getting back at the table.

"Sit down."

He could still not raise his head. Felt like they were imposing to have this here... in the Hendersons' room. Harry did not speak yet, letting the woman do so.

"I've got the same doubts, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I still don't know the whole picture, but it's clear we were not presented a truthful one from the start. And this one fact does not change everything about Jess and her family. It can. And that is a thing both me and her agree that we won't allow. I won't believe it until I see it possible for them. That even if they do this... they won't change."

No words as the man listened. He would not even let his mind deny those. He'd throw away other facts to make those hold.

"What these people insist on is putting family first. Before anything. Even what other people think about you. They did that... John and Jess. Rather than let a rift grow because they won't break a few rules, they chose their family over the rules. It does not have to lead to that. My intention is not to get there. What I want... is for us to be a family. Trust. You could not trust me... and we could not trust the kids. If they went wrong, we will help them out... but if they are doing well... better... would you rather throw them away or ignore what you were told to do?"

"No!" Simple choice. His tone came stronger than expected.

"Good. So we're in agreement. If we can't recognize our own children, we will take measures. If they have started doing it and it will be better to even accept them doing so... we will. Understood?"

Just a nod. But it was not that unreasonable an order. She let out a sigh.

"We both just want their goodwill. Just scared to see any way other than what others expect us to do. And I've been unfair on you as well."

He held back any desire to pull that out further.

"Hurt to go behind your back like this. And do this whole conversion. Only redeeming feature is that I am doing it for them and us." Beat. "Come on, look at me."

The man raised his head to see his wife with less anger in her eyes and clear guilt over the matter. Even now... can't let that stay that way.

"No, you had good reason. If I wasn't so stuck in my ways... you wouldn't have to."

"Maybe. But I'm not gonna blame you for that. Not sinless here either."

Hands brought over the table just in his reach. No need to consider what it was for. The man reached over to gently grasp them, fingers gently rubbing palms.

"So, I'm pretty much open now... so... what are they about?"

"Just what I told you. Put them first... before any rules. Even theirs. They don't want us to devolve into some familial orgy, just... love each other, be there for each other. Gave me this one perspective that made me realize how we've been screwing up for a long time."

"They're asking them to prove them wrong? And... what kind of perspective?"

"When's the last time you held Win with just... no concern? Only for her. Not that she's grown or anything else. Or Will?"

A breaking question if there ever was one. The answer would come only from his carefully constructed mental image of his family shattering... for the man to notice.

"Too long. But we weren't... doing that."

"And we don't have to. But just... not be afraid that they grew up and might see something else there. Yes... they grew up, didn't they? And we just.... Let them go." Her voice was almost crying.

"So just... that." Head fallen down again a bit. "When you put it like that..."

"I know. Makes me jealous a bit of Jess when I saw how she was holding her son."

"Uh... you mean envious."

A puzzled expression came back.

"Jealousy is when you're afraid someone will take something you have. Envy is wanting something someone else has."

Sylvie gave a momentary look of astonishment before she burst out in chuckles. The mood of the moment was brought back from both of them being sorry for themselves.

"Okay, yes... that." It hit her so fast that she was still in recovery. "I'm not jealous of her... but... ugh... why is that word stuck in my mind meaning the other when it's actually the other way around?"

"Because people use it so often to refer to it that we stopped questioning it?"

"And they question everything."

"Would that mean... also each other... at times like these?"

Her look turned to a pout. Just a bit cross.

"Don't try to justify it, mister." A sigh. Her venom abated. "But I guess it did lead us to... this. Getting to the bottom of things."

"And I guess that's why our governments did not like the aliens. They question everything and our guys are used to being authorities you do not question." Beat. "Huh... they suddenly make a lot more sense."

"I know. Fantasized like little children we might teach them and when they come to teach us... like little kids. Feels like when we get there they might have to throw us in first grade."

"So... what happens now?" Harry dared to ask. They were still holding hands.

"Now... go forward. See what happened to the kids. Are they fine, are they not... be there for them whichever it is." A smirk. "But don't be afraid to question them... if it is not."

1...45678...15