Discarded and Forsaken - A Reality Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was gone for two full days during which he threw himself into homelife, trying to ignore her absence as if it really didn't matter to him. He told himself that she'll be tucked up in some swanky hotel with the smarmy presenter having another of her sex marathons and wouldn't care about them so why should he worry about her.

Returning by the same taxi company she was surprised to find the house empty, surprised because she had messaged him of her arrival time. She was very tired after a hectic schedule of meetings and interviews but she came away feeling that she had done all she could and they would spin it come what way. She had insisted on her statement being included in its entirety as part of the agreement but she knew how the press would tell the story according to their own aims irrespective of whether the end result portrayed the truth or not.

Mark came in with the children later that evening and barely said more than 'Ohh you came back then?"

That same evening, Catherine telephoned again having been told during her previous call about the upcoming interview. Sarah answered and they went through the usual pleasantries before Catherine asked how it went. Sarah told her the whole story but finished in tears relaying what had happened upon her return. Catherine resolved to give her son a piece of her mind as soon as she got back.

Disconnecting, Catherine was thoughtful for a while despite the look on her husband's face that said 'Well come on then, tell me all about it.' Eventually she said, "Ron, is there any chance we could pick up her interview via satellite TV?"

Until now they had made a rule that despite having the option to pick up TV by satellite they would not turn it on. It had paid dividends as they had happily enjoyed each other's company or just read or researched the places they were visiting. Sometimes an hour or so would pass without words passing between them except maybe, 'Would you like something to drink?" As a backdrop to their idyll, every night they would look up and wonder at the stars, a stunning view from horizon to horizon unspoiled by man's habitation.

However Catherine had decided that action was needed and she needed to break the rule. For a moment he just stared at her waiting to be told what had happened and why they needed to watch the box. Then he just shrugged and went to see what needed to be set up, he thought, 'Women!' but decided that this was a moment where he would have to bite the bullet.

"Can I at least ask what we are looking for?" he shouted out from the cabin.

"We need to see what Sarah said to the TV people, she told me what she had said but I want to see what was transmitted."

"Could you at least tell me what she told you?"

"In a minute but we have to get that box working." and mumbled "Men!" under her breath.

It took him some time to rig up the equipment but eventually he shouted up to her that it was ready. She came down looking frustrated with the delay but he still tried, "So how do we know when it will be transmitted? It might have already finished."

"It will be in one of those 24 hour news channels of course."

In his mind the subject matter wasn't important enough to be transmitted on one of those stations but there was no stopping her. So he left her to it.

Unbelievably about 10 minutes later she called him, "Ron, Ron, come quickly," and there was Sarah dressed demurely sitting on a couch facing the presenter who had given a long introduction and had turned to his guest saying, "Welcome Sarah, I understand that your here to tell your story?"

"Yes," replied an obviously very nervous Sarah who looked down at her prepared statement. What she relayed was a story honestly told without excuses that showed her in a bad light but at the same time seemed honest and regretful, so that when she began to praise her family and her husband, and ask for forgiveness, it seemed to capture the hearts and minds of her audience. Afterwards, the presenter asked her about the part played by the 'celebrity,' his friends, and those close to her on that evening and she didn't mince words except when it came to the subject of rape. When pressed, she allowed that technically it was rape to use drugs on a woman for the purposes of sexual gratification and that had definitely happened that weekend. She avoided reminding the audience that it didn't start out that way.

"Of course after Sarah was off screen the TV company interviewed commentators who made much of the rape aspect and wanted the law changed."

"What do you think?" asked Catherine when they had seen as much as they could stomach of the self opinionated commentators.

"I think she did very well, I have to admit that I am proud of her. It takes real guts to admit truthfully what she did to the world at large."

"So you think she told the truth?"

"I would like to think so."

"Hmmm."

"What?"

"Is that your male protectiveness talking? I wonder, but how will people who don't know her see it? It's all very well the way the staged audience reacted but that's not always a reliable test." She sighed. "I hope you're right."

He was just thinking, 'Women! There's no pleasing them sometimes," but he was smiling all the same.

*******************************************************************************

Back home the atmosphere was declining quickly, Sarah was now considering her long term options, she had received her fee from the TV Company and decided that it was time she researched the subject of separation and divorce. Her main concern was her relationship with the children, if they separated she wanted to know if she could gain custody as primary carer. It would mean that Mark would have to pay for everything and she could imagine his response to that. Dammit if he couldn't be more civilised what could he expect. She had come to appreciate that his mother might have a better handle on their situation but Sarah needed to know where she stood before she talked to her. His parents were due back soon and she figured that she had no alternative but to spend her money. She had no faith in lawyers, thinking that they were overpaid for what they contributed but what alternative did she have. She would do research online tonight so that she could go into a consultation armed with some background knowledge if a lawyer tried to bullshit her. As it happened, she found an advertisement offering a free initial consultation.

***************************************************************************

By the time Catherine and Ron docked the yacht back home, Sarah had concluded that much depended upon how she would be seen by a court as a reliable mother. The lawyer had looked at her specialist's report and knew of her TV appearance. On balance she thought that the judge might make an award in Sarah's favour but give open access to Mark. It wasn't much different to their present situation but she could look for a place to rent that would enable her to work in town and be convenient for the school. It didn't need to be grand, just enough for them to live without calling on Mark for more support than the court would grant.

It didn't take Catherine long after her return to track her down and corral her. "Let's go somewhere quiet so that the men won't find us." suggested Catherine. Sarah dreaded their discussion but knew that she would never be more prepared for it.

Once settled into the lounge of a nearby upscale Hotel, Catherine was quick to get the discussion underway, "So how are things Sarah?"

Sarah had already decided that there was no point in holding back, so she recounted all that had happened while Ron and Catherine had been away. It was a long tale and the hotel staff interrupted several times to bring drinks and then lunch as the day flew past. Eventually Catherine phoned and interrupted Ron from working on a repair to the Yacht's engines and asked him to pick up the children. Ron grumbled somewhat that he wasn't finished but never minded spending time with them and so the conversation headed towards the evening. When they finally reached present day of the tale and Sarah's thinking about divorce, Catherines face expressed her concern, selfishly she didn't want her grandchildren moving away but even more she thought it would be the beginning of the end. She could see that it would have to be her job to step in and make them see sense,

As time moved on Catherine could see that Sarah was becoming very distressed. Tears were forming as she explained that she could see no alternative but to escape Mark's behaviour, for both her and her children. Catherine suggested that she go home and put the kids to bed then sleep on the yacht for the night so that she could talk freely with Mark.

********************************************************************************************************

When Mark came in, Ron was in the office searching for some part or other online and Catherine was waiting in the kitchen. Mark seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face as he stepped inside the front door. That changed to surprise as the house sounded empty. He wandered through and was again surprised to find only his Mum in contemplative silence staring out the window. Taking in his demeanour she welcomed him and then set to warming his meal. She allowed him to settle while he ate his food in silence but eventually she asked, "How are things with you and Sarah?"

Hi reply was full of malice as he angrily spat out, "Theres no 'thing' with us, she's made it clear that her intentions lie with the high life. She went off to have another sexfest and I'm expecting her to pack her bags and leave at any time."

"When did she have this 'sexfest' son, I thought she went to be interviewed?"

"Is that her story? Huh! She's becoming quite the accomplished liar"

"Have you not seen the interview?"

"Why would I want to see her degrading herself further, dallying with that suave news reporter?"

"I think you should at least watch it so that you know how other people see your situation, after all you are trying to establish yourself locally."

"Why would the locals watch it and know anything about what went on in the big city or for that matter how it should have any relation to what goes on locally?"

"Oh I think you will be surprised, after all we were able to see it while we were out in the ocean."

This hadn't occurred to Mark who had been wrapped up in his private world concentrating on business. 'Maybe I ought to know what I'm up against,' he thought. Catherine could see the doubt growing inside him and realised that she must strike while she could. "Come with me," she ordered, "I'll show you," and she went straight to the TV to find the recording. Fortunately it was still relatively hot news and she left him watching while she made them a drink.

In the meantime Ron came in and she raised a finger to her lips with a pleading look to ask for quiet. He took in what was going on and realised he was best out of it so went off and settled on reading the day's newspaper. Half an hour or so later Mark had seen all he needed to, he was still resentful tending towards negative interpretation of everything. Catherine looked at him with raised eyebrows, By her reckoning, Sarah had bared her soul in that statement, accepted being culpable for her stupid and grievous behaviour and begged for leeway to get on with her life. She needed that chance before it was too late, for everyone.

"So?" he uttered, "So what do you expect? It doesn't change a thing, it doesn't make anything right."

"There is nothing more she can do and you know it. She has accepted full responsibility and thrown herself on the judgement of the world and mostly you. Are you going to throw that back in her face and continue living the way you have?"

He growled and started out the door. "I'm going to take the Yacht out for a while, I need to think." Ron overheard that and came rushing into the room. Her face pleaded with him once more for silence as Mark headed out the door and once again he trusted her.

Moments later with Mark out of earshot he told her what he had wanted to say and she smiled with the expression of a woman whose scheming had come to a fruitful conclusion.

******************************************************************************************************

At first Mark simply sat on the bow of the yacht contemplating how 'hard done-by' he felt, 'was the whole world against him, now even his own mother?' As time passed his temper ebbed as the calm of the setting lulled him into contemplation. He began to see his life in greater context and started to consider the good points stacked against the bad. He remembered what someone had said to him once about asking himself the question of whether his life would be better or worse without his wife and his family. He thought about what Sarah had said in her statement and tried to reckon up whether he would be so much worse off without her. He grimaced to himself as he realised how great the sex had been before the press had contacted her. Was it his fault that they were where they were today? Of course it wasn't, but it was so hard to accept and trust her not to go away, especially with some good looking man, would he ever be able to face her abandoning them again?

He went down to the living area to search for something stronger to drink, poured himself a generous one and went back up to start the engine, let go of the ropes and headed out of the harbour. Once in open sea, he eased back the motor and let the sea take him. He checked the charts that the tide would see him safely away from land then settled down to continue his contemplation, he reckoned he could let the yacht go for a while before he would anchor for the night. Eventually he checked his position and the weather forecast, and decided to stop where he was if he was going to indulge in another drink. The alcohol was having a relaxing effect and as he allowed his tension to release so did his reasoning. He remembered the good times and the blackness he found whenever he reviewed the future.

As dusk came then eventually he became drowsy and made his way down to the main cabin for a much needed sleep. He flicked the light switch and heard a moan. 'Shit,' he thought, there's a stowaway and then he spotted the body on the bed. It was naked and the bedclothes were half uncovered and she had been crying, the tears marks were there to see.

His first reaction was to turn the light off and rush back to the helm. The first attempt to start the engine was successful and then while he was waiting for the anchor to rise it died. He rushed back to try again and the engine sputtered and died. He checked all the instruments and they were out. He wasn't going anywhere in a hurry unless he raised sails, so he rushed back to drop anchor again.

What to do next? He phoned home and Ron answered. He and Catherine were in bed and exchanged a grin. "Hi son, what's up?"

"There's something up with the yacht and I'm stuck out at sea with a stowaway."

"I reckon your best bet is to make the most of it and perhaps your stowaway can help you rig the sails in the morning."

"You knew didn't you?"

"Knew what?"

"You knew she was here!"

"Well your mum thought she might be keeping out of the way there."

"What's up with the yacht Dad? It was fine going out but you don't sound surprised."

"I'm afraid I didn't finish work on it earlier and didn't get a chance to tell you as you rushed out." He and Catherine exchanged looks of collaboration. "I've ordered the part, hopefully it will be here by the time you get back." Catherine suppressed a giggle but Ron could feel her body vibrate.

Mark could sense his parents colluding to push them together and decided he was wasting his time, he was too tired to press for more explanation. He undressed and made his way to the cabin but this time he didn't wake her, just slid into the space available. She was facing away but he could still inhale her scent, the faint smell of perfume and for some reason it made him feel comfortable, a sense of rightness.

She was woken by the yacht rocking during the night and at first was scared by the thought that the yacht had broken free. Then she felt a warm body curled up against her. Her worries warred against each other, does she jump up and check outside or turn over to see who is in bed with her and risk waking the intruder. The body snuggled closer to her and an arm came over. Her body went rigid, 'My god, who is this? A rapist or maybe a homeless guy has wandered onto the yacht?' And then 'Ohh god he is getting hard!' She tried to ease away but a hand took hold of her breast and pulled her into him. It was too much, she jumped out of bed and rushed up on deck forgetting she was completely naked. Her head spun 360 degrees and she could see nothing and she screamed with fear.

Sarah was beside herself, not knowing what to do when a voice behind her said, "I'm sorry I won't hurt you." She spun around and squinted in the dark trying to make him out.

"Mmmaaarrrk?" She stuttered, not quite sure what she could believe anymore.

"Yes, it's me, come back to bed."

"Bbbb but!" Was all she could manage, she was still scared half to death. He went to her slowly holding his hands out to assure her. She shook as he finally touched her, still very much uncertain. He drew her back towards the door into the living space and finally found a light. Her eyes went wide despite the sudden light, "Mark, what, what, what are you doing here? Ron said there was a problem."

"Yehh, they somehow forgot to warn me about that." He sighed ruefully. "I supposed I've been a bit hard to live with recently and this is their idea."

Sarah was sat huddled with her arms tight around herself, despite the latitude she was shivering and just nodded at his assumption. Without thinking Mark searched out a robe for her and reached for her to wrap her in its warmth, she let him. She had had enough of his attitude and long since realised that her infidelity could never justify any forgiveness, however she had fallen for the hope he gave her in mixed messages, particularly in bed. Her hopes had centred around the idea of a new beginning and from her viewpoint his recent behaviour had scorched any idea of that, so she was past caring.

Mark automatically put his arm around her to give heat and comfort. "Don't Mark." She said with conviction. "You know you don't mean it and I'm tired of trying. Let's just get back home as soon as we can and get a legal separation." This surprised Mark more than he would have admitted, the words 'separation or divorce' had never come up before, it was not something he would have contemplated wasting money on. It also seemed to feel uncomfortably very definite and final. He had felt that Sarah leaving him at the nightclub was definite enough. He moved and sat opposite her, his thoughts confused and uncertain.

"I don't have excess money to pay for a divorce, what do you have in mind?"

"I have enough for an uncontested separation, I am advised that the court is likely to give me custody of the children and I have started looking for a place to live where you can visit. All I ask is that you let me know when you're coming. I'll need a commitment from you for rent and other housekeeping, I know it's not what you need right now while you're starting a new business but I don't see much alternative, do you? You have made it very clear that you don't want me around so I'm doing the next best thing, then we can both look to the future."

Mark was stunned, he had been so wrapped up in his own version of life that he hadn't given it any longer term thought. Then he realised that he had probably used her as a convenient verbal punch bag. He'd been justified in his own mind until he'd seen her statement for himself. Now he didn't know what he wanted. His immediate reaction was about what he didn't want. Fortunately he was feeling a lot more mellow than earlier and as he tried to think, he couldn't get past the feeling that she seemed so lost and vulnerable. He knew that she brought it on herself but that thought solved nothing. He knew that it could cost too much to obtain custody even with her publicly recorded history, but yet he couldn't imagine a life estranged from the children. What would be the point of giving up his life to start and foster a loving family only to then give it up because his wife went off the rails.