Disconnected

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I promise."

Time continued to pass in the coming months. Clarissa notified the property owners she would not be renewing her lease.  A number of her belongings were already moved over into the spare bedroom of their home.  The majority of what was left was packed into boxes, awaiting to be transferred over.  It was an exciting time for her.  But equally exhausting.

Clarissa remained busy helping her clients with their car troubles.  Some weeks were busier than others.  But almost every night remained the same.  Her and Dallas would work together to dress down her utility van.  Then spend a little time gathering her unused belongings and moving them over to the house.  Some nights were not as productive as others.  Clarissa's mini-library of classic videogames caused many distractions.  It was also easy for them to get lost in each other's proximity and reduce themselves to their carnal desires.

One particular weekend, Dallas suggested they take an actual break and spend the day doing something outside of their norm.  Clarissa was all too eager to agree.  The couple decided to venture to an antique store.  A place they knew of since their respective childhoods, but didn't frequent often.

The drive to the business was enjoyable.  Both took turns telling naughty jokes while Dallas held her hand on the center armrest of his tuck.  They also questioned if they might discover something that could be worth purchasing.  Clarissa reminded Dallas there was honestly nothing they could take in at the time, until all of her belongings were moved over.  Dallas simply smiled and kissed the top of her hand.  Soon after, they arrived at the antique store and their social commentary immediately made each other laugh.

"My God, this place hasn't changed at all."

"Dal, we're not even inside the building yet."

"I know but it really hasn't changed.  That pothole over there," he raised his hand and pointed "that thing has been here since I was nine."

Clarissa started to laugh.  Even she had to admit Dallas was correct.  The building had the exact same design from when she was a child.  No updated paint jobs.  No changes to the enter/exit areas.  The owners never bothered to update the logo outside the business.  Even the parking lot looked untouched and was in bad need of fresh asphalt.  If it was like this on the outside, Clarissa was curious what it would be like inside.  Taking Dallas by the hand, they strolled inward.

What they discovered would trigger a panic attack in anyone who suffered from claustrophobia.  The entire store consisted of long and narrow isles.  Jam packed with untold amounts of clutter.  Most isles were no bigger than common household doorways.  And people inside navigated the paths while pushing shopping carts.

"Oh, this looks like it's going to be fun." Dallas grinned.

"You're telling me?  If we were an old couple, this place would practically be Heaven." Clarissa joined him.

"I guess when we're both old and crusty, we'll have to come back here."

"What makes you think this place will still be standing in another forty or fifty years?"

"This relic has been around since before we were born, our ages combined." he exaggerated "I wouldn't be surprised if we had adult grandkids and this place was still around."

The remark caught Clarissa off guard.  Grandkids?  They weren't fully living together just yet and Dallas was already jumping ahead to future descendants.  It made her wonder what it would be like creating a full life with this man.  It didn't take much to make her smile.  Just as she told Beth, Dallas truly was her better.  It was more than possible he was the best thing ever to happen in her life.

The couple took their time walking up and down the narrow isles of the antique store.  Nothing truly caught their attention.  Anything that did usually sparked conversations about a grandparent or an elderly aunt or uncle.  Everything else was simply made fun of.

Needing a break from the claustraphobia, Clarissa and Dallas found a place to sit down.  As they did, the caught themselves 'people watching'.  Unsuspecting patrons became their entertainment.  But they spoke in mumbles or whispers so not to be heard.  At one point, a truly unique individual was spotted and gave the couple a long range of material to laugh about.

"Holy shit, get a look at that." Dallas spoke, his eyes wide as saucer plates.

"What?  What do you see?" Clarissa questioned.

"Don't make it noticable, but look to your left."

Clarissa strained to keep her head from turning, strictly relying on her eyeballs to do the work.  What she saw made her bite her tongue to keep from laughing out loud.

A caucasian male was approaching them, slightly older than them.  His skin was pale as milk.  His eye glasses were large enough to receive satellite signals.  He looked as if he had not bathed in days.  His beard was messy and unkept.  And the hair on his head was styled into a knot-top.  Not the common 'man-buns' which were trendy among young men.  It was an actual, Touji hairstyle.

Furthering the rare find was his apparel.  He was wearing fully ornamented, Kabuki clothing.  Designed in ancient Asian customs.  Right down to the appropriate sashes looping his body, an actual kitana sword tied to his hip, white socks and wooden sandals.  And he was pushing a shopping cart towards them.  A faulty wheel squeaked with every step.  Clarissa and Dallas were painfully squeezing each other's hand to keep from laughing, holding their breath along the way.  Just as the man passed by, Dallas succumbed to his immaturity of the situation.

"Yeeeeee-ooooooooooosh." he whispered.

"Dallas!  Shut the fuck up!" she responded softly, her body trembling in place from the amusement.

"Go to an antique store, encounter Bushido Brown.  That's a new one for me."

Clarissa grunted trying to hold her breath.  Her face metamorphosing between a variety of joyful, though guilty, expressions.

"I wonder if he makes Youtube videos," Dallas continued "using that sword to cut through soda bottles and aged watermelons."

"I bet that thing is so dull, it couldn't cut air." Clarissa blurted out loud.

Her words broke Dallas and he released all the air in his lungs.  His reaction triggered her own and the couple started laughing loud enough for the whole store to hear.  The situation intensified as the squeaky cart stopped making noise for just a second, then squeaked quicker and quicker as the patron hurriedly moved away from them.

"Oooooh, Clarissa." Dallas started to tease "Bushido Brown's gonna' whoop your ass."

"Not as long as I have my big, strong man beside me to protect me." she replied, kissing him on the cheek.

He laughed at her remark then responded.

"I'd die for you."

His words knocked the joyful wind out of her sails.  The memory of her disturbing dream surfaced and she stopped smiling.  Clarissa turned her head away from him, not wanting Dallas to see her suddenly feeling upset.  She felt Dallas' fingers touch her jawline and guided her face back to his.  He leaned in slowly and kissed her lips.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." she answered.

"Don't do that.  No secrets, remember?"

Clarissa stood, trying to mentally psych herself up for the uncomfortable conversation.  She shook her hands at the wrist, easing the tension in her muscles.  Taking a deep breath, she started to explain.

"I hate it when you say that to me.  That you'd... you know.  Do that for me.  Kinda' creeps me out.  I've been having these weird-"

"Dreams about me." Dallas cut her off.

His remark surprised her.  She never told him or anyone about the dreams.  There was a mild relief in him acknowledging it.  As always, they were connected.

"How do you know about that?"

Dallas stood up and held her hands.  His thumbs gently caressing the flesh near her wrists.

"You talk in your sleep," he smiled to comfort her "usually after very stressful days."

His remark made her blush.  No previous lover informed her of this.  She started to wonder if he was the only one she did that with.

"How long?" she asked "How long have you known?"

"About your bad dreams?  A few months now.  Actually a week or two before Valentine's Day.  You sat up in the bed one night, screaming my name."

The memory returned to her.  The first night she had her nightmare.  The thought of it made her feel embarrassed. Especially if Dallas recalled it that far back.

"Anyway, I knew something was wrong but I didn't want to push you into talking about it. But; several times since, I've woken up and heard you talking in your sleep.  Calling my name and begging me not to leave you or something."

Clarissa felt even more embarrassed.  It wasn't as rare as she thought.

"So, what do you do when you've woken up to me doing that?"

"This." he answered.

Dallas pulled her in close and embraced her tightly.  His warmth immediately soothed away her shame.  In his arms, she felt truly safe from everything.  Even from herself.

"I hold you like this and you quickly calm down.  Then I play with your hair for a little while, and lightly touch your beautiful face until I get sleepy again and conk out."

"Such a romantic." Clarissa smiled.

"Your romantic."

"My romantic."

The two continued their adventure through the antique store.  Along the way they discovered items from their youth.  Videogame cartridges' and toy playsets almost as old as they were.  Each took turns reminiscing about their random finds.  Every story shared came with good laughs.  It was exactly the shift in mood Clarissa needed.

Near the end of their outing, Clarissa and Dallas stumbled across an unusual find.  Something neither really knew how to comprehend.  It was an enormous pinecone; roughly the size of a football, and it was sealed in a glass display.

"Am I the only one getting awkward 'Beauty and the Beast' vibes here?" Dallas pondered out loud.

"I was just thinking the same thing." Clarissa confessed, happy their connection made them think alike.

"God, could you imagine someone buying this thing-"

"-and giving it to their lover as a gift."

Both quickly laughed.

"Please take this pinecone as a token of my affection." Dallas spoke in a regal tone.

"Imagine if they're kinky."

"Ha!  In case of emergency, break open glass."

"And shove up the ass." Clarissa rhymed.

The two of them looked at each other and laughed as hard as they did after encountering Bushido Brown.

After the number of things happening in Clarissa's life, the amusement was definitely needed.  Soon after, they exited the building and headed towards the truck. Dallas; always the gentleman, opened the passenger door for Clarissa.  She thought to herself how she may never get used to that gesture.  Then Dallas hopped into the driver seat and turned over the ignition.  A man started singing through the radio, causing Clarissa to stare right at Dallas.

... Cause I hear it in the nigh-ight

I hear the secrets that you keep

When you're talking in your sleep

I hear the secrets that you keep

When you're talking in your sleep

When I hold you in my arms at night...

Clarissa quickly shut off the radio and continued to burn a hole into Dallas with her eyes.  He didn't move, but his face made the same expressions as Clarissa did after encountering the caucasian kabuki warrior.  She continued to stare at him until he finally cracked a smile.  His visage broke her of her stern look as well.

"That is not funny, Dallas."

"Bullshit, it isn't."

"Swear, you're going to get it when we get home." Clarissa playfully warned.

"Promises, promises."

Putting the vehicle in gear, the two drove around the parking lot in search of the exit.  Clarissa suddenly heard Dallas humming the song from the radio, annoying her.

"Dal."

"... And all your dreams that you keep inside" he started to sing, sans music.

"Dallas."

"You're telling me the secrets - That you just can't hide!" his vocals increased as well as enthusiasm.

"Dallas!"

"You tell me that you want me!  You tell me that you need me!  You tell me that you love me!"

Clarissa made a fist and playfully slugged Dallas in the arm, over and over.  Her efforts were pointless.  Dallas was dedicated to the carpool karaoke moment.

"And I know that I'm right - 'cause I hear it in the nigh-ight!"

Clarissa knew it was going to be a long ride home.

The final week of her lease was upon her.  Thankfully, there wasn't much left to do except move the last of her belongings out of the apartment.  Then hire a professional cleaner to go over it before the next tenant moved in.  The furniture was furbished by the property owners.  One less thing to worry about cluttering the spare bedroom.  The remaining stuff throughout her apartment was in boxes, ready for transport.  The only things left out were work related equipment.  All of which she intended to have moved by the end of the night or at least stored in her van.  Her hopes of a productive evening started to dwindle fast as the radio announced heavy rain and thunder to come into the area and soon.

"Fucking great." she groaned behind the wheel of her van.

Clarissa fumbled with her phone and brought up her contact list, quickly searching for Dallas.  She tapped the touch screen a few times and her phone made the call.

"Hey Riz." Dallas answered.

"Hey.  You haven't started dinner or anything yet, have you?" she asked.

"No, not yet.  I'm not even home.  Why, what's up?"

"I just heard a storm is supposed to come through around the time I get back to the apartment.  I know I have a few days left on my lease but I really want to get all my shit moved out tonight.  Can you come over and help me?"

"Yeah.  Absolutely.  When do you think you'll be there?"

"I'm not sure.  Maybe in another hour.  But traffic's starting to get heavy and you know I hate talking on the phone while driving."

"Okay, I'll see you then.  Be safe."

"I will.  Love you."

"Love you too."

The phone call ended and she dedicated all of her attention to the road ahead.

Clarissa arrived at her apartment just as the thunder storm began.  The heavy downpour prevented her from seeing ten feet ahead of her even with the headlights on.  She amused herself, remembering the night her and Dallas consummated their love for each other.  A storm happened then too.  She made sure not to make the same mistakes again regarding her keys.

She exited her van, instantly soaked from the deluge.  Before she could take a step towards her door, something shoved her against the vehicle.  It was a person, completely dressed in black.  Their hands forcefully groped all over Clarissa's body.  Starting at her breasts then moving down to her rear, and finished by violently grabbing her crotch. Her ex-girlfriend's last words to her immediately came to mind.

"Jesus Christ, Beth!" Clarissa screamed "Are you fucking crazy?  I told you never to-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, BITCH!" the person shouted as the rain poured on top of them.

Their voice wasn't Beth's.  It wasn't even feminine.  It was a man's voice and he sounded dangerous.  It made all the blood in her body turn to ice.  Before Clarissa could speak, the man's arm came around her neck, placing her in a strong chokehold.  At the same time, Clarissa felt something cold and metallic press into the side of her head.  No doubt, it was a gun.

"I know exactly where you live, so we're going to go inside and have some fun, you little cunt." the man snarled, his tone felt like venom entering her ears.

"Oh God!  No!  Please!  Don't-" Clarissa pleaded.

"SHUT UP!"

White lightning flashed across the sky, followed by a violent atmospheric discharge.  But the burst of thunder was followed by another sound.  And it was frightening.  It roared louder than any explosion in the clouds.  It sounded like it came from a monster, capable of making the most fearsome predator run for its life.  And it was approaching fast.

Clarissa's attacker threw her to the ground, allowing her to see the beast heading their way.  It was a featureless, dark figure.  Similar to the one in her dreams.  It sprinted at them, creating miniature tidal waves in the standing water.  Her attacker slowly raised his gun towards the charging demon, intending to scare it away or end its existence.  It gained speed, refusing to be intimidated.  Finally, the dark figure collided with the attacker and both slammed into the side of Clarissa's van.  The impact made the vehicle's left side tilt off the ground for just a second.

Lightning flashed again, revealing who saved her from the man that wanted to rape her.  It was Dallas.  Her lover.  Her hero.  And he was in a violent rage.  She watched as Dallas repeatedly pummeled the man in the face.  The sound of wet skin striking wet skin rung in her ears.  Reminding her of hand-to-hand combat scenes in Hollywood movies.

She continued watching as Dallas wrestled the man to the ground, both rolling across the wet parking lot.  Their aggressive tumble ended as Dallas' climbed on top of the man, his back facing Clarissa.  Her lover alternated his strikes against the attacker's skull.  His fists thrusted downwards with great force.  Dallas repositioned himself and used his entire right arm like a jackhammer against her attacker's face.  Each blow caused their legs to kick under Dallas' weight.

Dallas begin to slow, showing signs of exhaustion.  Just as Clarissa thought it was over, the unmistakable sound of a gun being fired caused pain to her ears.  She watched as the projectile created an exit wound in Dallas' clothing, causing a small amount of red mist to spray upward against the downpour.  Blood mist.  Clarissa reacted like so many frightened starlets.  She brought her hands over her mouth to keep from screaming in terror.  Dallas and the attacker stopped moving.  As if frozen in place under the rain.

"Dallas?" she finally called out to him.

Her lover didn't move.

"Dallas?" she yelled again, hoping against hope.

Then his body shifted as if it was about to fall over.

"DALLAS!" she screamed, her wonderful world instantly shattering.

The ambulance rushed through traffic, hurrying to reach the hospital.  Clarissa was in the back, holding onto her lover's hand.  The paramedics fought to steady his vitals, but their tones sounded grim.  Arriving at the hospital, the medical crew rushed through the hallways to an available operating room.  Clarissa ran alongside them.  Begging them to save his life.

They pushed the stretcher through a set of double doors, leading it to the center of a large room.  An overhead light shined down on Dallas' body.  Clarissa was instructed to stand back while the doctors and surgeons worked to keep him alive.  A patient monitor was connected to his body, beeping irregularly.  It was Dallas' heart and it was turning faulty.

Groups of people wearing green and blue surgical clothes surrounded his body like a pack of vultures.  Their efforts seemed to be in vain as the monitor beeped faster and faster.  Clarissa's heartbeat raced as well, almost matching the audible device.  She overheard one of the doctors say something, sounding very close to *shock him*.  Clarissa's ears picked up a high pitched noise among the people trying to save Dallas' life.  One of them shouted *clear*, which was followed by a low thump.  The high pitched noise returned, followed by another command and ended with the same low thump.

Then everything went quiet aside from an ear splitting whine.  The patient monitor was no longer beeping.  A single green line on the display was flat.  Clarissa turned her gaze toward the medical crew whom stood in a line facing her, and blocked her view of Dallas' expired body.  All of them took a deep breath and spoke two words in unison.  Their tone as lifeless as the man she loved.

1...456789