Dragonborn Rising Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Aela said she was, and we put away our weapons, each of us dual casting flames to clear the webbing, then attack the spiders that were lying in wait. I hated them as much as Farkas, and the smell of burned spider bodies was enough to make one gag, but Aela and I made our way forward rather easily. Spiders hated flames, and always retreated when someone used flames against them. The only concern was when the usual giant spider appeared from a hole in the ceiling high above. I kept using flames as Aela took out her bow, and we managed to kill it quickly.

After the spiders, there was another long hall reminiscent of those leaning to a locked door, but instead, there was a simple lever to pull, which opened a gate nearby. This led to one final room, filled with more ghosts, before we climbed a set of steps and into the tomb of Ysgramor.

It was there that we found the spirit of Kodlak Whitemane, warming his hands by a fire. He glanced at Aela and I as we approached. "Greetings, Shield-Brother."

"What are you doing here, Kodlak? I thought... Well, none of us were sure what would have happened to you."

"My fellow Harbingers and I have been warming ourselves here. Trying to evade Hircine."

I glanced at Aela. "How many do you see?"

"Three. Why?"

"I only see Kodlak."

"You see only me because your heart knows only me as the Companions leader. I'd wager old Vignar could see half a dozen of my predecessors. And I see them all. The ones in Sovngarde. The ones trapped with me in Hircine's realm. And they all see you. You've brought honour to the name of the Companions. We won't soon forget it."

"Vilkas said you can still be cured."

"Did he now? I can only hope. You still have the witches' heads?"

"I did, precisely for this reason."

"Excellent. Throw one of them into the fire. It will release their magic, for me at least."

I did so, and the spirit of the beast linked to Kodlak was split apart. Of course, the damned thing then tried to attack Aela and I, for some reason leaving Kodlak alone. It was a ferocious bastard, far larger than a normal wolf, and even larger than a werewolf, but with Aela hanging back with her bow, and myself up close and personal, we eventually killed the spirit, ensuring Kodlak was now free.

As it disappeared, Kodlak approached Aela and I. "And so slain the beast inside of me. I thank you for this gift, Ragnar."

"It makes up for my failures, Harbinger."

"No, there was no failure. You carried out your instructions as I asked. However, the other Harbingers remain trapped by Hircine. Perhaps from Sovngarde, the rest of the heroes of old can aid me in their rescue. The Harrowing of the Hunting Grounds. It would be a battle of such triumph."

"I don't wish to speak for everyone, but I know I'd stand by your side, armed and ready."

I noticed the grin form. "And perhaps someday, you'll join us in that battle, Ragnar. But for today, return to Jorrvaskr. Triumph in your victory. And lead the Companions to further glory."

He offered his hand, and the gods allowed me the feeling of his hand grasping my forearm, as much as my hand grasped his. A simple nod, and it was as if an exchange was made. After a final goodbye to Aela, he stood back and simply disappeared.

"Goodbye, Harbinger," Aela said quietly.

"His presence will be missed."

She waited a moment before asking, "Did I hear right? Did he say you were to lead the Companions?"

"What do you think of that?"

"You're the Dragonborn, Ragnar. It's a perfect fit, and you've already proven yourself to all of us. With a cure for all of us now on the horizon, perhaps you can lead us to a new dawn..."

We had a quick look around the tomb, and I found a shield. It felt enchanted, and after checking a journal, Aela said it was the Shield of Ysgramor himself. She added that, as Harbinger, it would be my right to wield the shield in his name, so I was happy to take it. Finding a secret exit, we gathered Vilkas and Farkas, giving them time to look around the tomb too, before the four of us headed out, our grief diminished, pride in having saved Kodlak and sent him to Sovngarde, to start our long journey back to Whiterun.