DragonForce Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

V'line shook his head, biting into a meatroll. "No more than you have. They expect it any day. I hear most of the candidates are from the Weyr, although F'lar was sure to include at least one from Ruatha."

A chorus of laughs followed that announcement. All three could imagine the Benden Weyrleader trying to explain a hatching in his Weyr without a Ruathan candidate. Life with the Benden Weyrwoman would be challenging for a while, to say the least.

The wingleader's smile suddenly faded. His eyes widened as he looked at T'gellan with an expression more befitting an errant schoolboy than the leader of a fighting dragonwing. "Forgive my lack of courtesy," he said. "I should have asked earlier. How is Monarth?"

The puzzled Weyrleader responded with an understanding grin. It was a major breach of protocol not to inquire after a fellow rider's dragon. However, under the circumstances, he could grasp V'line's rather unusual thought train. "He does well," the bronzerider replied. "Thank you for asking. We'll both be ready to fly tomorrow. Thanks to the ministrations of a certain amateur healer and over-protective weyrmate." He grinned at Mirrim, defusing the retort that was certainly forming. Her lips drew into a tight line, her eyes flashed at him, but she said nothing.

V'line chuckled at the pair. He had known of the Weyrleader's affection for the pixie-like greenrider, as had just about everyone else except Mirrim. Still, he had been surprised when T'gellan had flown in the face of all tradition by taking her, rather than a queenrider, as his weyrmate. He thought briefly about that, deciding he really should have known better. The Eastern Weyrleader did whatever he thought best, regardless of tradition. After all, T'gellan had been raised and trained at Benden, and he idolized Benden's dynamic, unorthodox Weyrleader. F'lar's influence on his pupil was obvious to anyone who bothered to look. "I understand that you have some news, though," V'line interjected. "An unusual visitor, maybe?"

T'gellan's eyes narrowed. He had done his best not to let word of the four Cygnans circulate. He had forbidden any rider from Eastern to say anything, and they had passed that order on to their dragons. That wild excursion had revealed the black dragon to a few local holders, but non-weyr folk had been known to exaggerate wildly about encounters with dragons, particularly under stressful conditions. Who else could have let the news out?

V'line watched his host's furrowed brow, the frown of deep thought. He wondered if perhaps the Weyrleader didn't want to speak of this subject. "The firelizards have been absolutely panic-stricken about Eastern," he explained. "They keep giving crazy images of a black dragon. At first, we thought maybe Ruth was playing tricks again, but Jaxom said they were just as mystified as the rest of us. Even Ruth can't make any sense out of the lizards, and you know how well they get along with him."

T'gellan pursed his lips in a disgusted scowl. Of course. The firelizards were the biggest, fastest gossip network anyone had ever seen. He remembered how agitated they had been before the black's arrival, how they had all disappeared the moment Monarth, Moth and Astaroth had come into the Weyr. Even now, they wouldn't get anywhere near the Cygnans. Well, the word was obviously out, and it wouldn't be long before more queries came. He had already invited Benden to a conference, but that would have to wait until after the hatching. Meanwhile, he had High Reaches to deal with.

"Yes," he sighed, sitting down dejectedly, "we do have some very unusual guests. And I don't suppose we can keep the secret much longer." He looked at his young visitor, wondering the best way to explain his present situation. It was hard to describe something he didn't understand himself. That was the biggest reason he hadn't told the other Weyrs already. The news of visitors from another planet was going to hit hard, especially among the holders and crafthall folk, who were often suspicious of Weyr matters to begin with. Well, if there was no real starting point, anything would do.

"There are four of them," he began. "We don't know who they are, what they are, or where they came from, apart from what little their leader has been able to tell us. One of them is the black dragon the firelizards have been talking about." He could see the sparkle of interest in V'line's eyes. Fortunately, across the cavern, he saw C'nol approaching. It would be helpful to have at least a few more minutes to decide how best to proceed. "This will keep a few more minutes," he said. "Here comes C'nol."

The three dragonriders rose to greet the new arrival. He nodded to his Weyrleader then cheerfully greeted V'line. "Welcome back, wingleader, and congratulations! How is Clarinath?"

The High Reaches rider glanced quickly at T'gellan, grinning as they shared the inside joke. He responded warmly to the wingleader's arm grasp. "Good to be back, C'nol. Clarinath is well. Gireth?"

"Hungry, as usual," the bronzerider laughed. He gave a proper bow of recognition to Mirrim, although it was a courtesy he was uncomfortable with. The oldest of Eastern's riders, C'nol had questioned T'gellan's choice of a greenrider as his weyrmate. He held strongly to the belief that only queenriders should share the Weyrleader's bed chambers.

Despite Trelka's satisfaction with the arrangement, he disliked the senior queenrider being weyrmate to someone other than the Weyrleader. Mirrim, aware of his disapproval, was cautious around the bronzerider. However, he was well aware of her affectionate relationship with V'line, so his greeting was a cordial one. "Good day, Mirrim. How is Path?"

The dark-haired girl smiled, pleased by his affability. She did not want to leave the meeting but would have in recognition of the station of the bronzeriders. C'nol's friendly deportment removed that necessity. "Path is fine, thank you, C'nol."

"Join us," T'gellan said, both as invitation and command. He poured a mug of klah. It was accepted gratefully.

"We have an interesting situation to consider," the Weyrleader continued, "and we need your advice. Which of our wings do you consider best in a tough fight, other than mine?" He gave no indication of arrogance about his own wing's fighting abilities, nor was the comment a slur on the others. It simply disqualified his formation from the discussion.

C'nol inclined his head, cradling his chin in his fingers. He sat silently for a moment, thinking. Mirrim passed the plate of bread to him, and he nibbled on one of the soft rolls. "I would think," he finally replied, "that V'nil's wing is the best, followed closely by T'sarl's."

T'gellan nodded mutely. He, too, seemed lost in thought. After a long moment, he asked, "Is there anything you've seen that would concern you about any of the wings flying Thread under difficult conditions?"

The wingleader scratched his head, chewing on the bread. He didn't care for discussing any rider's deficiencies, even with the Weyrleader, but certainly not in front of a greenrider and a rider from another Weyr. Of course, V'line had trained with him, and Mirrim, he reminded himself, was weyrmate to the Weyrleader. This must be important, he speculated. T'gellan was as sensitive to a rider's fighting pride as he was, and as careful about discussing the matter in public.

"With respect, Weyrleader," he responded, "V'nil is our best wingleader, but he has two riders who are too reckless. In a serious Fall, I have some concern they could put the wing in jeopardy. If I had to choose THE wing to fight with, and I assume that is where this discussion is leading... " he hesitated momentarily, until T'gellan nodded confirmation, "I would choose T'sarl's wing. He has no individual standouts, not even himself, but they fight as a unit, and they fight within themselves."

The Weyrleader said nothing, but his eyes indicated his approval of the recommendation. He respected C'nol for his analytical thinking, and for the thoroughness of his training of dragon and rider. The senior wingleader's suggestions were not to be taken lightly. "Thank you, C'nol. Would you have Gireth bespeak Nibelth and have T'sarl join us?"

"Of course, Weyrleader, at once."

"While we're waiting," T'gellan noted, "we might as well finish eating."

The four dragonriders quickly disposed of the platter of bread and meatrolls. A member of the kitchen crew produced another pitcher of hot klah and once more the mugs were steaming. Conversation turned momentarily to small talk, with most of the questions revolving around V'line and High Reaches. T'gellan and C'nol watched and listened, allowing Mirrim to direct the talk.

A young, red-haired bronzerider walked into the chamber, waving to the Weyrleader as he crossed the cavern. C'nol and V'line rose in greeting.

The Weyrleader acknowledged his greeting and signaled everyone to be seated. "Thank you for coming so quickly, T'sarl," the bronzerider began. "I believe we have some interesting news for you."

"Nibelth said you wanted me immediately," the redhead replied.

T'gellan nodded, waving to a passing drudge for another mug. It was provided quickly, and more klah was poured. "C'nol thinks your wing has been most impressive of late," he offered. "I agree."

The young wingleader smiled, glancing at V'line. "Thank you, sir. We've been working hard. It's a good team."

"So I've been told." The Weyrleader scrutinized the rider. "I understand you put quite an emphasis on the team aspect."

"Yessir, I do," he affirmed. "We don't have any hotshots. I don't want any of my dragons or riders hurt because somebody wants to be a hero." His statement was so vehement that the Weyrleader looked questioningly at C'nol.

"Do you have a reason for feeling so strongly?"

"No," the wingleader admitted, "and I don't ever wanna have one."

The older bronzerider raised his eyebrows, regarding T'gellan with an approving smile. The Weyrleader grinned back.

"That's a good answer," he agreed, speaking to C'nol. He then turned to T'sarl. "Get your wing ready to leave. You're going to High Reaches."

A stunned silence settled over the table. Four riders turned to stare at T'gellan.

"The whole wing?" V'line asked.

"The whole wing," the Weyrleader repeated. He glanced around the table, seeing the shock on V'line, the excitement in T'sarl, and the obvious disapproval in C'nol. That, he decided, had best be addressed right now. "Wingleader, would you come with me?"

The two bronzeriders rose together, leaving the three younger riders to discuss the proposed move. When they were safely out of earshot, the Weyrleader turned to address his companion. "You disapprove. Why?"

"We fly Thread tomorrow, Weyrleader. Can we really afford to send an entire wing?"

"No, we can't. We'll hold the transfer until after tomorrow's Fall." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "High Reaches lost eighteen dragons scored yesterday. They were already under strength. Fort and Telgar can't help them. If they don't get some help, T'bor may decide to fight wounded dragons." The Weyrleader watched as C'nol digested the information. His instinctive rejection of the idea of fighting injured beasts quickly gave way to the realization that the High Reaches Weyrleader had little choice. Under strength Weyrs, like under strength wings, usually suffered scores more often and more severely.

"Our riders are younger than most," the explanation continued. "I would rather send an entire wing, men and dragons who know each other and know how to fight together, rather than have odd wingriders fed in piecemeal and chewed up."

C'nol mused over his leader's reasoning. It was better, he agreed, for the wingriders involved to fight as a unit. Was it, though, good for Eastern to fight a wing under strength? "Your reasoning is sound, Weyrleader," he said, "but we'll be fighting a full wing short, and still with young dragons and young riders."

"I know," T'gellan sighed, "but I can't refuse to help T'bor. And," he added, "at least we have grubs. They don't."

"Does that help us?" C'nol asked earnestly.

"No, not really. But, it's something. We're safer a wing short than Reaches is."

The wingleader stared down, shuffling his feet. He reached up to scratch his head then folded his arms across his chest. "Well," he conceded, "under the circumstances, T'sarl's wing is certainly the best choice."

T'gellan nodded his agreement. "That's how I see it. We'll have to fly tighter and smarter, but T'bor won't be flying injured dragons and riders."

C'nol realized the Weyrleader was being totally open with him. He also realized that T'gellan had little choice. "I don't envy you, Weyrleader," the older rider said. "It's going to be a tough go. But," he smiled thinly, "I agree with your conclusions. I'll support your decision to send the entire wing."

T'gellan regarded his wingleader soundlessly. It was good to know the senior bronzerider would support him, but it didn't make the decision easier, nor did it relieve the sense of foreboding. He was again being reminded that, even with Pern's rapidly increasing dragon strength, the Red Star remained a formidable enemy, one that could be overpowering at times. "Thank you. I appreciate your counsel. But we'd better get back."

They returned to the table, where V'line was carefully describing the terrain surrounding High Reaches to two fascinated listeners. The High Reaches rider rose respectfully but was waved back to his seat. T'sarl and Mirrim also turned to hear the Weyrleader.

"When are you expected back at Reaches," he asked.

"Anytime today or tomorrow," V'line answered.

"Good," T'gellan said, smiling. "You stay with us today and get some rest. You can go back tomorrow." He looked directly at the red-haired wingleader. "T'sarl, have your people ready tomorrow evening. Until T'bor can release you, your wing is assigned to Reaches."

The youngster grinned at V'line and Mirrim, rising to his feet. "By your leave, Weyrleader?" he inquired.

T'gellan nodded, suppressing a desire to chuckle. T'sarl left at a fast walk, trying hard not to break into a trot.

"Well," the Weyrleader intoned, "that settles that. Now, High Reaches, if you've finished eating, I have some guests you might like to meet."