Dreaming in Boston

Story Info
A friend's dream written into reality.
15.9k words
4.77
4.7k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Backstory: I have been working to challenge myself and my writing dynamic/voice. I had a friend who was willing to help. I asked him to give me a big dream or wish he had. It could have been anything, like a dream vacation or holiday with family, a career... He picked moving to Boston (his favorite city), working in his dream career (using his Network Security degree), and meeting the woman of his dreams. So I offered to write a short story to capture this for him.

I took some liberties and did some research to make it as realistic as possible. Here were the basic facts about his "dream self":

Character: Nate

Apartment: 62 on the Park

Job: Information Security Analyst at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company

Favorite sports team ever: Red Sox (loves baseball in general)

Favorite Bare: Cask n' Flagon

All characters are 18+... Hope you enjoy!

Note: I would love comments/submissions of other fun ideas to write about. I'm also open to non-erotic work as well. Just want a challenge/push myself!

====================================================================

I pushed into the door, dropping my bag on the floor. I stepped my shoes off, rubbing the back of my neck as I stretched it. Today was so fucking stressful. The stove clock flickered at me and I glared back at it. Another late fucking night. I took a deep breath and sulked to the bedroom, shedding my clothes off eagerly. I slid on a t-shirt, opting for the no pants look. I checked my phone, scrolling through random apps as I trudged to the fridge.

A near empty fridge stared back at me as I leaned on the door, hanging my head with a sigh. I slammed it shut, turning to the stack of take out menus I inadvertently stocked up on. I walked toward the couch, settling on P.F Chang's. After placing my order, I laid back, my arm under my head as I opened this stupid fucking dating app.

I had been in Boston for a few months now, and still hadn't met anyone interesting. Every time I was tempted to delete this damn app I'd get a match though. And we'd go on a date or two, but nothing came of it. "Last try, and if this thing doesn't work I'm giving up forever," I grumbled, watching it load. I started swiping right, choosing not to be picky for once. I just wanted to try my luck. After some minutes of mindless swiping I tossed my phone onto the table and sat up, grabbing the remote and turning my TV on.

It wasn't until I was face deep in my dinner when my phone buzzed. I glanced at it, wiping my hands on my shirt before picking it up. I sucked some sauce off my thumb as I saw a match notice. "Amazing," I laughed, rolling my eyes as I opened it. "Chloe Anderson?" I muttered, pursing my lips as I stared at her profile picture. She had dirty blond hair, and dark blue eyes. I noticed her smile immediately, it was so bright. I scrolled through her photos, noting the pictures of her hiking or out to drinks with groups of her friends.

I had to admit, she was pretty cute. I scrolled down to her profile, and sighed. There was hardly anything! Just some simple shit about being a 24 year old student in Boston, that she was 5'6", and wanted to meet new people. "Helpful Chloe, real fucking helpful," I sighed, hesitating before I hit the chat button. I stared at my screen, the keypad laughing at me as I froze. What the hell did I even say? I set the phone down, glaring at it as I picked my food back up.

After a few minutes I picked it back up typing:

Hey! We just matched.

"No shit you idiot," I grumbled, deleting it. I pursed my lips, trying again.

What are you studying?

Frustrated, I deleted that message again, sighing heavily as I rubbed my forehead. I pressed my lips to my palm, my fingers drumming impatiently on my cheek as I went back to her profile. I scrolled through the photos again and hesitated, smirking as I saw one with a dog. I opened the message back up and leaned my elbows onto my knees as I tapped the screen eagerly.

Hi Chloe, I'm new to Boston. Downloaded this app in hopes to meet people too. Hope this isn't too forward but would you maybe want to get drinks some time?

My anxiety kicked in as I tossed my phone down, pretending it wasn't there as I leaned back into the couch. I kicked my feet up, settling on finishing my dinner before checking my phone again. I was nearing my last few bites when it buzzed. My heart jumped and I went to grab it when I hesitated.

"Nah, let's not be desperate Nate," I muttered to myself, mindlessly staring at the TV. My mind wasn't there though. It was on the cell phone burning a hole in my coffee table and my thoughts. I shoveled the rest of dinner into my mouth, chewing it as I grabbed my phone again. I saw a message from her and smiled, biting my nail as I opened it.

Hi Nate! I'm kinda new to Boston too, lol. Drinks sound great, when and where?

"Fuck," I laughed, disbelief hitting me as I hesitated. Would messaging back so quickly seem too eager? No. She messaged me pretty quickly.

How about this weekend? There's this one really cool bar I like.

Cool, calm, and collected. Easy enough! I set my phone down and grabbed my trash, carrying it to the kitchen and grabbing a drink. As I walked back to the couch my phone chimed again. I leaned over, snagging it as I plopped down. I took a sip, reading the screen.

Sure!

Instant response. Huh... I couldn't stop smiling as I sent the information, choosing Saturday night to meet up. Before I could settle in I got another message from her. My eyes bulged as I choked on my drink. Her phone number?! Already? Damn, she's either too trusting or too eager. I shrugged the doubt off and added it to my contacts, sending her a text so she had my number too.

"Looks like my week is looking up," I sighed happily, relaxing into the couch as I pushed my feet into the edge of the coffee table. My mind kept wandering as I tried to watch TV and unwind, my heart feeling like it was in my throat occasionally as I thought about my upcoming date. But it was a good feeling, the anxiously hopeful nerves that come with meeting someone new.

******************

My chair leaned back as I pressed my elbow into the armrest. I rubbed my chin in thought as I read her text again.

Good morning Nate! Have a good day at work.

We had started texting yesterday, well she texted me back and it just carried on throughout the day. I was half expecting it to fizzle out, most of the time it usually does. But she's been so engaged it's almost unnerving. I took a deep breath, noticing that it was almost lunch time. Why haven't I even answered her yet? I felt like such an idiot.

"What's got you all up in a twist?" Ricky muttered, leaning on the wall of my cube as he sipped his coffee. He always had this stupid cocky grin on his face, and an attitude to match. He wasn't horrible, but I had to admit I could only handle him in small doses.

"Just some girl I started texting," I mumbled, staring at my phone as I pursed my lips. My elbows dug into the armrests as I pressed my fingers to my lips. It was weird, I wasn't used to women taking the lead. In any way. I guess it was throwing me off. My fingers pinched my lips aggressively as I sighed.

"Is it going south?" he asked, leaning on my chair as I pulled my phone up. I opened the message again and he whistled. "Looks like you're the one ghosting her," he pat my shoulder, chuckling as he walked away. "You really think you are in a position to be doing that?" he laughed some more as he disappeared around the corner.

Sorry, I've been busy at work. How's your day going?

I set my phone down, turning back to my computer when it vibrated. That couldn't be her. I flipped it up, seeing her name pop up on my lock screen. Damn. This was just so out of the realm of normal. I swiped the message open, smirking.

Just got out of my class, have the rest of the day off! So it's great! Sorry work is so busy. But that should make the day go by right?

She was too nice. Way too damn nice. I felt like pinching myself. No way someone from those damn dating apps was actually a promising match. It just wasn't possible.

Well, talking to you is definitely makin my day better

I cringed as I sent in, holding my head in my hands. Fuck. Was that too much? I didn't want to scare her away, but I wanted her to know I was interested! My phone buzzed again and I glanced at it.

Thanks! Seeing your texts puts a smile on my face too!

I dropped my phone, shaking my head as I took a deep breath. The fuck was I freaking out about? It's not like this is some stupid high school crush. This is a woman from a dating site who is obviously trying to, at the very least, make decent friends. Just treat her like a new friend. Simple Nate, simple! I buried my nose in my work, trying to distract myself.

When I finally decided to get lunch, I went back to my messages. I stood by the microwave as I tapped the screen diligently.

Good. I like that I can make you smile. I'm finally on lunch!

I sent a photo of my food when I pulled it out, trudging back to my desk to eat. As I took the first bite my phone buzzed. I laughed, leaning over my food and then sighed happily.

That looks fine but you should let me cook for you! No way a bachelor living on his own in a city is eating good meals!

So now she wanted to tease me. Ok, I see how it is. I snickered to myself, tapping the screen furiously. "A college girl bunked up with other students in a rental house has the nerve to tell me I don't eat good," I shook my head, amused as I continued to eat. She texted back as I tossed the empty container into the trash.

I don't know what HungryMan lunches you're scarfing down, but my grandma is Italian and taught me everything I know. Who do you think cooks dinner here, huh? Be ready to put your foot where your mouth is, I'm cooking for you first chance I get!

I chuckled, unable to stop smiling.

Only if you promise to use my kitchen.

A bold response. Maybe a bit too much again, but if she could tease me I think it's fair game. My manager pulled me into one of our routine penetration tests so I didn't get a chance to check my phone until the end of the day. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course! Name the day.

I set out to walk back to my apartment, pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose as I sighed. This felt too good to be true. There was probably a catch, maybe another shoe that would drop? Who knows? But who the fuck cares? Might as well enjoy it while I can.

******************

We agreed to meet in the bar, so I took a seat inside letting her know I was there and what I was wearing. I had to admit I was pretty damn nervous. I ordered a beer to sip, focusing on trying to relax. After some time I checked my phone, worrying that she might have changed her mind. I was about to text her again when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Nate?" a soft, sweet voice sounded next to me and I glanced to my left, smiling as I saw her.

"Chloe," I pushed up from the chair, offering her a hug. She giggled, her arms wrapping up under mine as she pressed her hands into my back. I gestured to the seat next to mine and she plopped down, adjusting her pony tail as she set her phone down on the counter.

"I hope you weren't waiting too long, I got stuck in traffic," she grumbled and I smirked.

"Taxi?" I asked and she laughed, nodding. "I took the subway," I admitted. The bartender came over and she ordered a Long Island Iced Tea.

"You look nervous!" she nudged me and I sighed, holding my glass between my hands as I studied it. I pursed my lips and glanced at her.

"I am a bit to be honest," I shrugged and she waved her hand dismissively, turning happily as her drink was set down in front of her.

"We've been texting for a few days! No way you can be nervous," she insisted, taking another sip before leaning on her hand as she smiled at me. Her other hand reached out, resting on my forearm as her thumb gently stroked the skin there.

"Oh I can be," I mumbled, enjoying the affectionate touch. Probably a little too much. "I mean we have been texting, but not about much besides our days," I started and she shrugged.

"So then tell me about yourself," she offered, turning to sip her drink again. I smirked and shook my head.

"You first," I breathed and she laughed.

"Well, I'm 24 and studying at Boston University for my Master's in Psychology. I want to work with children," she admitted, her cheeks looking a little pink as she smiled at me then. "I've been in Boston for some time, but still feel like I've hardly seen any of it. I'm so caught up in my studies, my thesis work, and all the amazingly bland and time consuming requirements for my degree," she sighed.

"Is it really that bad?" I pressed and she shook her head, biting her finger cutely as she glanced at the bartender. She flagged him down and he came over.

"Can we get some nachos?" she asked and he nodded with a smirk, turning away. "I really enjoy the work, I just sometimes wish I was already done with it! But it's all about the journey right?" she bumped my arm with her elbow and I shrugged.

"I'm happy to be done finally. And feel even luckier to have landed this job almost right after I graduated! It sometimes doesn't feel real," I muttered and she giggled.

"So are you from around here?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Moved from Michigan," I admitted and she looked amazed. "I've been here before and just fell in love with the city. And I'm a huge Boston Red Sox fan so," I shrugged and she nodded.

"Do you play baseball too?" her voice was so soothing.

"Used to, not so much now that I moved here. My dad and I played softball together a lot too," I admitted, a bit sheepishly.

"That's awesome! I used to play volleyball, but stopped after I got to college. I know there are always clubs at school, and like adult teams but I just never seem to find the time," she sighed and then giggled. "Or maybe I just don't like it as much as I thought I did?" she offered and I smirked.

"What about you? Are you from around here?" I asked and she made a cute face as she flopped her hand side to side.

"I'd say yes, New England to me is kind of a hodge podge of people and places. But it's all relatively the same. I grew up in Connecticut," she admitted and I nodded. "Beautiful, but all of New England is," she added and I smirked.

"Yeah, I'll say," I muttered, admiring her then as she took another sip of her drink. I took a long swig of my beer, noticing a tray of nachos coming our way. She perked up, pressing her hands together as she wiggled her fingers excitedly. It had to be silliest thing I had seen a grown ass woman do, and over food no less.

"I'm so hungry!" she grumbled, rubbing her stomach as she glanced at me. "Mind if I dig in first?" she asked, handing me the small plate. I set it down, gesturing for her to go head. She scooped a heap full onto her plate and licked her lip as she admired the loaded chips.

"I'm getting jealous of those nachos, the way you're staring at them!" I laughed and she giggled, leaning into me as she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Oh stop, you'd be looking at them like this too if you hadn't eaten all day!" she insisted and I chuckled, serving myself. I was amused as she took a huge bite, her eyes rolling back as she chewed happily. "Oh my god!" she covered her mouth, glancing at me as she swallowed. "These are so good," she muttered. I took a bite myself, and while they were pretty good I think her hunger was making her a bit overzealous.

"What about your family?" I asked and she smiled. Her eyes nearly crossed a she pulled another chip up into the air, admiring the goopy cheese before shoving it into her mouth. She finished and glanced at me with a cute smirk.

"My mom and my dad are happily married and I have one younger brother. And then of course the family dog," she breathed and I nodded.

"The one in the photo?" I asked.

"Mhm," she mused around another huge bite of food. "Sorry, this must be a bit disturbing," she laughed, blushing then as she wiped her mouth with her napkin.

"No you said it yourself, you haven't eaten all day. I think I'd be surprised if you didn't devour the entire platter by yourself," I chuckled and she giggled, taking another bite.

"What about you?" she asked then as I munched on a few more chips.

"My parents are divorced, and I have a sister," I breathed. Suddenly, her hand brushed against my neck and I flinched. She adjusted the chain, pulling out the metal cross. I watched her fingers as they turned it slowly before letting it rest in her palm.

"I saw the chain and wasn't sure if there was anything on it, sorry," she let it go, seeming embarrassed then. I cleared my throat, sipping my beer before shuffling in the chair.

"No it's fine, just shocked me a bit. People don't usually just touch my neck," I teased and she giggled, taking another bite. Her cheeks still a little rosy as she sipped her drink. "I was raised Christian, and love baseball," I ran my fingers along the chain, holding up the cross as I smiled at her. "So it's kind of like both of those things combined," I muttered and she nodded.

"You know Nate, I like you," she smiled as she took another bite, her eyes glancing over to meet mine. "Want to get another round?" she gestured to my near empty glass as she finished hers off. I'd be stupid not to agree. I'd order as many drinks as she wanted just to sit here and talk with her all night.

******************

I went to pack up, my neck hurting from being hunched over my damn computer all fucking day. A knock on my cube wall made me jump and I glanced over, seeing this dumb ass grin on Ricky's face. "So how was the date?" he demanded and I sighed.

"Fine, we're planning to meet up again soon," I shrugged, sliding my jacket on as I pushed the strap to my laptop case onto my shoulder. "What's it to you anyway man? Since when did you care about my shit?" I muttered, sliding my phone into my pocket. I did the usual pocket slap, making sure I had everything before turning to leave. He decided to walk with me.

"Lighten up Nate. I can't take an interest in my co-workers?" he nudged me and I rolled my eyes. "Touchy?" he pressed and I sighed heavily.

"Stressed, just working a lot of long hours lately," I grumbled, pushing out of our office section toward the elevators.

"Why don't you come get drinks with some of us some time? I could introduce you to some of my friends?" he nudged my arm and I glanced at him, amazed.

"Why would I? I'm tryin' to talk to this girl," I slid my phone out of my pocket, gesturing it toward him as the elevator opened. We stepped on and I hit the ground floor, curious to see if she had texted me back.

"Is it exclusive? Come on, there isn't any harm in getting some action while you wait around for her," he mused and I tried to not roll my eyes.

"Thanks, but no thanks," I mumbled. My phone rang then and my heart dropped when I saw her name. Fuck. My luck she wanted to call me when this dick was trapped in this tiny metal box with me. "Hey," I sighed, answering.

"Hi! Hope I'm not bothering you or interrupting you," she muttered and I smiled, shaking my head as I leaned my shoulder into the wall next to me. I let my head rest on it as well, feeling exhausted.

"No, no I was just heading home actually," I admitted and she sighed.

"Ok good, I have a surprise for you! Text me your address," she breathed and my heart jumped.

"Wait what?" I laughed, shocked as the doors opened. Ricky turned and walked backward out of the elevator, a sinister smile on his face. He looked around before gesturing crudely to his crotch.

"Get some," he whispered, snapping his fingers into a stupid gun before laughing and walking off.

"-prise, but if you don't want it nevermind," she mumbled, my mind drifting back to the conversation.