Eloise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He stayed quiet after that and I managed to fall asleep all tucked into him.

It was late evening when he nudged me to wake me up, though I'd been awake for some time. I'd stayed quiet and still, not wanting to talk.

Sitting up, I looked around, then felt odd. I'd expected things to be different for some reason, but everything was the same. Everything. I didn't see a single new thing at all and for some reason that threw me.

Ben gave me a smile and reigned in in front of the shop. I felt a little afraid as I looked at the front of if, wondering if my father was going to be angry at me.

Ben came around and lifted me down, then walked me in.

Papa stood from his stool, his expectant smile turning into a glower. "You got some nerve showing your face here!" he snapped.

I guessed he was still angry.

"I came to see mama," I told him, looking away quickly.

"Too late on that by a long shot. If you'd cared at all, you wouldn't have left like you did! She didn't survive a week of you two leaving."

"What? What happened?"

"She was sick! You know that!"

"Well didn't you take care of her? Didn't you do anything?" I demanded, horrified.

"Of course I did! I worked here and put food on the table! You wanna see her, you know where the graveyard is," he snapped, then sat back down on his stool to ignore me.

"El, the way I see it, we don't need ta get nothin' here no more anyhow," Ben told me. "Let him lose out on our business, we'll go elsewhere."

"Like there are other stores here," papa snorted derisively. "Hand over your list. Who the hell is this, this ain't the one you took off to marry."

"My husband died," I told him angrily, "and you're wrong. We can choose where to go between four different towns, this isn't the only place we go. It's just one of them. There's no list and there'll be no more business from us on the mountain. Not just us, but the Corwins or the McCanniss's either! I'll spread word."

"Ya cain't do that! I'll be out of business before spring, you KNOW I count on business from the mountain!"

"I do know it, and you should have thought of that, you hateful old turnip! Just so you know, you're a grandfather three times over already, but you'll never see them!"

"There ain't no reason to go gettin' your back all up! You say your man has died... you should come back here and stay a while, El. We can talk and this is a better place for little ones than the mountain and you know it."

"She's fixin' ta marry me," Ben sneered. "The mountain is a far cry better'n a place like this with men like you in it. Men who'd let their own wife die rather'n take care of'r. Lazy sad sack!"

"I ain't lazy by a long shot! You know how hard I work to keep this place running?"

"But you've always refused to lift a finger to do anything you consider a woman's work!" I shot back. "You wouldn't light the stove for mama to even cook! I ain't staying here to argue with you!" I told him, choking up. "Don't ever expect to see me or any of the rest of us again. Ben, we'll be going to Junction City or DuPont from now on, never here again."

"Suits me," Ben growled, taking my hand and leading me out of the shop.

"El! Eloise, just hold on!" papa called, chasing me down. "No need to go getting all rash! You're here now and I have what ya need, ya may as well get it while you're here, right? Not have to make another trip somewhere else?"

"I came to see mama," I told him, shaking. "I don't need anything from here, from you!"

"Now just wait! I can mark off some for you, El. A family discount. I can take some off of fabric especially! I'll take half off anything stored under the table in there! You have little ones, you're gonna need a lot of fabric, right? And notions too! Come on and I'll..."

"No. No, papa. Me and mine... we'll never darken your door again. For years you lived for nothing but this shop, refused to lift a hand otherwise, now you can choke on it. See what it got you," I told him, pulling away and going across the street to the inn.

Ben caught up my hand as soon as we were inside, looking back over his shoulder to make sure papa didn't follow us.

"We need two rooms for the night," I told Jeremiah softly.

"One. One room," Ben corrected quickly. "And the preacher. Where's the preacher in this place, me'n El's fixin ta get hitched."

Jeremiah blinked at me and I managed a red faced smile. "Is he at the church?" I asked softly.

"No, El. How've ya been? Good to see you back here... we were all under the assumption that you were a Faust now? Is that not so? Did you not marry the Faust boy?"

"I did get married," I agreed with another smile. "He passed several months back now. Ben and I... have decided to make a go of it. This is Ben."

"Ben Faust?" Jeremiah asked awkwardly, offering a hand to Ben. "I'm Jeremiah."

"That a problem for you?" Ben demanded, not shaking his hand. "That I'm a Faust too? And it was my pa she was married to before?"

"Your pa...? Buel? You married Buel and not Colt?" Jeremiah asked, confused.

"I did," I agreed, "though I can't see why that matters at all. Buel passed several months back and yesterday Ben asked me to marry him."

"He doesn't look like the other boys," Jeremiah offered, as if he suspected something.

"He's a half brother to them, Buel was his father but he had a different mother. Does it really matter? Can you tell me where the preacher is?"

"He was going up to the Lee place to baptize a new baby'n have dinner. The mother ain't doin so well and he and Alma Dulaine rode out there earlier. She'd made a good week's worth of food for all of them and the preacher rode her up to drop it off and bless the new little one."

I turned and looked up at Ben. "We'll have to wait on tomorrow for that, Ben. Two rooms, Jeremiah, please."

"Hell if I am," Ben grumped. "One room is just fine. We'll wait up on'm. Long's we need to, El. I waited long enough. Years. I ain't wait'n another night."

I could only smile in exasperation. "Well I'm not staying up to wait on him! Jeremiah, what's for dinner tonight?" I asked, ignoring the very agitated Ben.

"Ham steaks and potatoes."

"We'll each have one... he might need two. I'll have milk. Thank you," I called, moving to go sit down.

Ben grumbled, but sat down with me, scowling around at everyone watching us.

We were halfway through our meal when the front door slammed open and Gene came hurrying in, looking around the room.

"El! Eloise, you ARE back," he called breathlessly. "And look at you, you've hardly changed at all," he smiled, walking up to our table. "Your pa said you lost your husband, I'm sorry to hear it, El. Really sorry. I wanted you to know that me'n Abby talked and I apologized to'r about everything. She said it was alright, you can ask'r that yourself."

"I'm glad you saw fit to make amends to how you were to her, Gene. Ben and I are in the middle of dinner..."

"Your pa said you came down the mountain and was maybe thinkin' on comin' home? Movin' back down here if ya had a good enough reason? I've changed, El, I tried hard to change and be a better man. I ain't married yet'n I have me a good piece of land just outside town. Close enough that..."

"No thank you, Gene," I told him quickly as Ben began bulling up like he wanted a fight. "This is Ben, he and I are going to say vows as soon as the preacher gets back. Papa knew that, I don't know why he didn't let you know."

"Oh... he came and got me like he was anglin' on me and you..." he told me, slumping dejectedly.

"I bet he did. Sorry, Gene. Maybe you should go see Abby?"

"Abby married Whit," he scowled. "It was you I always had my eye on, El. I always thought you'd have me the way your pa talked. Sam always said the things he'd tell you and I thought maybe you'd be pleased to go off with me. I..."

"She done told ya no and ta piss off, boy," Ben growled. "She told ya we was eatin'. Go on."

"I was speaking to El," Gene scowled, his temper flaring.

Ben stood up and Gene took an involuntary step back as he looked up at Ben. Still, he puffed up like he was spoiling for a fight, even against the huge man. Ben smirked, his eyes shining with glee and I knew he was excited about putting a beating on the smaller man who was annoying him.

"Ben," I called softly. "If you do anything but sit back down and finish eating, I will ride back up that mountain without ever saying yes to marrying you."

Ben gave me an incredulous look, but Gene saw his opportunity when Ben turned and took a swing at him. Ben ducked it with ease, turning back to Gene with a growl. He didn't hit him, but he grabbed him and slammed him down on the table, looking at me for permission.

"Unless he throws the first punch," I amended. "But take it outside."

Ben grinned as Gene gave me a horrified look and Ben dragged him outside.

"Thanks for that," Jeremiah called, scowling.

"Ben has a temper and so does Gene," I shrugged. "I had Ben in check, he wouldn't have laid a hand on him. I had no control over Gene."

Jeremiah snorted, then headed outside.

Moments later, Ben came back in and sat down, finishing his meal without a word.

Jeremiah finally came back in, giving me a dark look. "Took him over to docs," he told me, crossing his arms as he sat down.

I looked over Ben, but saw nothing out of place. He was fine. "You hurt him bad?" I asked softly.

"I didn't kill'm," he shrugged. "Figured he was someone to ya once so I didn't break nothin' permanent either. Was he? Somethin' to ya once?"

"No. He was Sam's friend and when Buel and Colt started to take me back up with them, he came and asked me to stay. I never cared for Gene, he was always a mean boy, especially to my friend. He was never anything to me."

"Parently you was someone to him," he offered, watching my face.

I gave him a patient smile. "I can't help who has thoughts on me, Ben. I'm done, so I'm going to walk down and see my friend Abby."

"Hold on and I'll go with," he demanded, eating quickly. "Hey!" he called to Jeremiah. "The preacher comes back, can you send someone along to fetch us at her friend's house?"

Jeremiah glowered at me silently and I grinned. "We'll come back in a while and check," I told Ben.

"Why's he bein' all muley with me, what'd I do?" he demanded, sitting up straight.

"Nothing," I promised. "Let's go."

We were back in less than two hours and Jeremiah was still scowling with his arms crossed as others sat around eating.

"He back?" Ben asked eagerly.

"He ain't," Jeremiah spat. "Ya dislocated Gene's jaw, doc hadda tie up his whole head ta keep it in place."

"He shouldn't'a took a swing then, should he?" Ben demanded. "I took it easy on'm and he should be damn grateful. How long till the preacher gets back?"

"He won't be here when he does get back, he'll go home. I ain't watchin' for him. You want him, you go get him yerself."

"I see my father's been working his poison on you," I told Jeremiah coldly. "I guess he gives you plenty of business? Most your business, your letting rooms, it all comes from folks coming down the mountain including the Fausts. Corwins. McCanniss's. More. All folks we have a word in with or we mingle with often. Folks who'll never set foot in this town again if we tell them how we've been treated."

"Wasn't right how he was allowed to just go back up the mountain after killing a man," Jeremiah growled.

"Would it have been better if he'd let Henry rape and kill me?" I asked calmly.

"Course not, but there was never even any questions! Just his word."

"And my word. And everyone who went and saw the state Henry was in. Everyone who KNEW Henry and knew he was that sort of man. You knew him, Jeremiah, do you truly doubt it?"

"Didn't say I didn't believe it, just said no one even asked any questions!" he muttered, feeling embarrassed now.

"You let papa poison you on the Fausts and just look at what kind of man he is, Jeremiah. How long did mama live after we left? Because papa just refused to help her or do for her? If I'd have thought he would go that far, I would have taken her with me. He just let her die and no one raised a single hand, did they?"

"Everyone knew she was sick!"

"Yet she would have been fine if he'd just bothered to help her! To take her up food and water and just help her a little! He knew she couldn't get up and down the stairs anymore, she couldn't even get further than her chair and bed in the kitchen! She did all she could, her bones so bowed and the way she shook! He just came over here to eat until she was gone, didn't he? He didn't even go up those stairs to see to her, he just left her all alone till she was gone! Tell me I'm wrong, Jeremiah? Did he come here to eat the week after? He just let her die and who asked HIM questions?!? He came over here claiming Henry was murdered all the while he was letting my mama die and none of you lifted a finger for her, did you? Did one of you just step over to check on her? Tell me, Jeremiah, who is in the wrong? The man who saved me from being raped and killed, or the man who killed his own wife because he was too lazy to help her? Who do you want to side with?"

Jeremiah grumbled, standing up irritably. "Joseph! Run on down to the church and see if the Preacher is back yet!" he called, looking down at the floor. "If he's back, have him come on down here. Tell'm there's folks here who'r needin' to get hitched."

"I'll take another dinner too," Ben called happily.

By the time Ben was done eating his second dinner, Joseph came back in to talk to Jeremiah. "He said he's tired and he can come in the morning," he told him quickly.

"Tell him I got money if he comes now," Ben growled, offended.

"He said even if you was paying, you have to wait till morning," Joseph shrugged. "He's tired and he had a long day, he needs sleep."

"It's fine," I promised Ben. "Tomorrow is soon enough."

"I told ya I don't wanna wait no more! I waited long enough!"

"One more day won't hurt anyone," I promised him, amused. "Jeremiah, we'll need two rooms."

Ben was grumpy as I went up to my room, following me and hovering at the door. "No one'll even know if I..." he began.

"Goodnight Ben," I told him with another smile, shutting the door in his face.

Seconds later I heard a thump on the wall across the hall, like he'd punched it and I half laughed.

Pulling my dress off, I climbed into bed in my shift with a sigh. The bed didn't feel like home or smell like home, but I was tired. I thought I'd be able to fall right to sleep as tired as I was, but I had slept too long on the trip budged up into Ben.

Instead I lay there thinking, trying to think if I was doing the right thing or not. I was fairly certain I was, but I still had some doubts. I went into all of it blind so many years ago, so I guessed it was better to be pretty sure with some doubts than it was to be completely blind about all of it.

I was still awake in the small hours of the morning and I heard a scraping at my door. Smiling again, I was ready to tell Ben to go back to bed as I rolled over.

A hand, too small and too soft to be Ben's closed over my mouth and more hands gripped my arms and legs, lifting me bodily out of bed as the hands on my mouth clamped down tight as they hurried out of the room with me.

Screaming at the top of my lungs, I tried to struggle, but there were grown men holding me. In the hall, a third set of hands gripped my ankles as I tried to kick and I was hustled down the stairs quietly and then outside in the darkness. The men ran down the street in the darkness, then ducked into an open door with a light on inside.

I tried to scream again as I looked up at papa, his hands over my mouth.

"Get her in the back room! Tie her down and gag her quickly, before that animal comes looking for her!"

"He didn't hear anything," Jeremiah growled. "I put something in his drink when he came back down after she went to bed. Twice as much as I would have for a normal man, he won't be waking up till noon tomorrow, maybe."

"As long as we keep him away long enough to get her married ta Gene," Papa growled. "They'll be moved into the upstairs of my shop by the time that beast wakes up! Gene said it was no problem ta live there and work his ground of a day heading out to his land from town. It's not so far and he promised. Get her feet tied good! Her hands too! Get me a rag to stuff in her mouth before we gag her so it muffles sound. Where's Gene?"

"Still at doc's. That monster worked him over, he can't even talk. Dislocated his jaw and maybe broke some ribs," the unseen man offered.

"I have to get back," Jeremiah hissed. "I need to go make it look like she left in the night because she didn't want him."

"Joseph already hitched up his team and took the wagon out of town to hide it. He'll never know she didn't take off in it," Papa whispered. "Tie her tight, make sure she can't get loose!"

I whimpered as the ropes were pulled even more tightly around my ankles and yanked apart to the corners of the bed. The ropes on my wrists were even more tight and I cried out as they were yanked tight. Cloth was shoved into my mouth as soon as papa moved his hand and the unknown man immediately tied a rope around my mouth, cutting in deep to my jaws and holding the cloth in place.

I cried out, looking up at papa pleadingly, but he didn't even look at me as he double checked the gag.

"Now we all have to go back to our places until morning and can get Gene and the preacher here to make it all set and legal before Faust wakes up. We have to all be back in our places like normal when he comes looking for her. It HAS to look like she took off on her own, or he won't leave. Once he's gone, Gene can make her his wife and maybe even get her with child before anyone comes looking back here for her. Cover her up and close this place up tight so no one can see in or get in, hurry up!"

I screamed as a blanket was tossed over my face and the lamp was blown out. I could still hear them talking, the sound fading as they looked the place up and left.

Tugging as best I could, I tested the bonds. They were painfully tight and I knew if I struggled too much the rope would break skin. I tried to work out the cloth in my mouth, but it was fastened in tight and I couldn't work my tongue enough as I began sobbing hysterically.

I was in pain and terrified as I lay there, trying to imagine what they were going to do to me. Why? Why would they all do this? Had papa really poisoned all of them so much against the Fausts? Was Gene part of this plan? He had to be if he'd agreed to live with Papa so I could cook and clean for both of them. Had he come up with this plan with them, or had papa improvised after Ben had hurt Gene after I'd turned Gene down?

An hour passed and my limbs were cramping as I sobbed and shifted. Another hour and I had to pee as well.

By the time morning came, every inch of me was hurting and my limbs were shaking uncontrollably. I knew my left ankle at least was bleeding, the twitching of my muscles yanking on it hard enough to break skin.

It was the unknown man who pulled the blanket off of me, looking nervous as his eyes darted over me. "Hurry up!" he called in a loud whisper into the next room.

Papa came in supporting a limping and grimacing Gene, his lips split and an eye swollen shut. Behind them was the preacher, an older man who hadn't been the preacher the last time I'd been in town.

"Say the words quick," papa hissed quickly, his eyes darting around.

I screamed into the gag, trying to plead with papa or Gene either one.

Gene looked at me, papa didn't.

"She's hurt'n," Gene managed, not opening his mouth as he spoke awkwardly. "Untie her a little."

"She'll get away or make noise, she's fine," papa told him quickly. "Let's just get this done then you can loosen her bonds and let her use a bedpan. Doc give me somethin' ta make her sleep so you can untie her almost all the way."