Eloise - A Tale of Young Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I finished my tea and kissed Finn on his head as I told him I was meeting up with my mum for lunch. It felt like things were back to normal, but there was still a lingering doubt in my mind.

Mum and I caught up at a coffee shop in town. I spent most of the time entertaining Ethan which I did not object to.

"I sent Finn on a date with Ruby last night."

"Ruby, Ruby?" Mum asked as she choked on her coffee, "You mean my sister-in-law Ruby?"

"It was a disaster and Finn has taken a day off to get over it. Plus, I ruined his shirt trying to get the lipstick stain out."

"The, wait, what? She left a lipstick stain on his shirt?"

I showed Mum Ruby's messages and she could not stop laughing. "Ellie, you know if he was after a younger woman, he would be with you, don't you?"

"Mum!" It was my turn to spit out coffee, "I mean, I still wonder if that's what Gabby meant, but I was like only 16 and..." My voice trailed off. I could see Mum was wanting to say something.

"Do you like Finn, Eloise?"

"Of course I do!" I laughed then saw Mum's eyebrows rise, "I mean, I don't know. I was jealous that he was catching up with Ruby for a drink last night. He's gorgeous, but I don't think he things about me like that."

"You know El," Mum said as she scraped the foam from her coffee cup with a spoon and placed it in her mouth, "You could never do much better than a man like Finnian O'Loughlin. But I know you're young and whilst I realised it with your Dad and then I was so glad to realise it again with Jarrod, sometimes you just know."

I figured Mum had been reading too many romance novels. I knew they were her guilty pleasure. I did not fantasise about Finn. I did not dream that he was my Prince Charming. I knew Lucas and Tilly had talked about settling down together and I was surrounded by people who had found their loves at a young age, but that did not mean that I was going to experience this too.

Mum, Ethan and I wandered the shops for a while. I knew I wanted to replace Finn's ruined shirt, but I could not find anything similar, plus I also knew that a shirt of that quality was out of my price range.

I found a pink shirt in a discount basket outside a shop and it was in Finn's size. It did not have spots, but rather thin stripes and I figured it might have to do. At home I washed it, ironed it and hung it in Finn's wardrobe. It surprised me that he was wearing it when he came out on Saturday evening for the Christmas Party he was going to.

"Eloise," Finn smiled, "It wasn't necessary, but thank-you. The other shirt was old and held sentimental value, but I think I'm more of a stripe wearer anyway."

"Now go and have fun and make sure you dance with Helen!" I joked as I ushered him out the door. I had hoped my joking would hide some of the sadness I felt as I recognised I was sending Finn out to spend an evening with someone he had recognised as liking him and he had told me that he might investigate that opportunity.

The kids had extra stories that night. First, I snuggled with Hunter and Leith in Hunter's bed as I read them different tales. I loved spending time with them, and I knew I would miss it come the end of January when I started my new job and would need to find somewhere to live.

"Why didn't you go with Daddy to his party?" Olivia asked as I finished a chapter of the book we were reading.

"Well it was a party for Daddy, and I wasn't invited because I didn't work with these people."

"But Daddy likes you, El, I've seen him look at you and you make him smile and laugh. He doesn't do that when you're not around."

"Oh Liv," I kissed her on her head and held her tight, "There are different ways people like and love each other and who knows, your Daddy might already have someone else he likes."

I found it challenging having these conversations with Olivia. She was bright beyond her years, but I wondered how much of her father's behaviour she had wanted to see and how much of it she had elaborated in her own mind.

It was not long after 10 when I switched the television off and stood to go to bed. I had already showered and was wearing my pyjamas. I never did this when Finn was around, but I was not expecting him back until late. Surprise would be an understatement when I heard giggling at the front door and the key in the lock.

"Ah! Here she is, my beautiful, gorgeous, darling, Eloise!" Finn was clearly drunk, "See, she chose a lovely shirt for me to wear."

"Sorry honey, I'm Helen and this is my partner Sandra. Finn has had a little too much to drink and we wanted to see him home safely."

Finn was holding me hugging me and gazing into my eyes. I was standing there in shock.

"C'mon Finn," I edged myself to stand next to him with my arm around his waist, "Let's get you to bed."

Sandra was on the other side of Finn helping him along.

I removed Finn's shoes and trousers and Helen removed his shirt and we lay him in bed in his underwear.

"I'm so sorry," I said as the three of us left Finn's room.

"Honey, you have nothing to be sorry about." Helen gently squeezed my arm.

"Um, Helen, I think Finn thought you liked him?"

Helen and Sandra looked at each other and smiled.

"I call most people honey or sweetie or darling at work and I don't think Finn was used to this." Helen explained. "Poor Finn is a little naïve- he never recognised that I bat for the other side so to speak and Sandra and I have been an item for a number of years. After we told him tonight though, and I do recognise had had a bit to drink, he opened up though and told me he was glad because he, now how did he term it, Sandra?"

"I think his words were, 'I am desperately in love with our Nanny, she's so smart and funny and beautiful and she gets me.'"

Offering Helen and Sandra a cup of tea they accepted seeing the shock on my face.

"I take it you don't think of Finn in that way?" Sandra offered as we sat in the lounge.

I told the pair of what Gabby had told me about not letting Finn wallow and how she had hinted that Finn and I might work well together.

"But I don't want to start a relationship with someone because their dead wife decreed that I would be a good replacement. I want to know that we do actually have feelings for each other and that we have things in common apart from his kids."

"So, let me get this right, honey," Helen mused, "You've been here two weeks almost and when the kids are in bed what do you two talk about?"

"We talk about the kids."

"And what else?"

"Well we talk about my plans and how I want to be an amazing nurse and travel and help other people and we talk about Gabby a lot too."

"And when Finn left this evening what did you think?"

"I thought he looked gorgeous and I wished I was going with him and I was so jealous that I suspected he was going to spend the evening with Helen and it would mean that a future with him was possibly not part of my future."

"These two have it bad!" Sandra looked at Helen.

"Honey, he likes you. He doesn't shut up about you at work! Your 21st present," Helen looked knowingly at Sandra, "The necklace, he showed it to me online and asked me if I thought it was enough. I mean..."

"It's beautiful," I said reaching up and touching it around my neck, "I've hardly taken it off since then."

"I know your families are integrated for want of a better word," Helen explained, "But next Saturday night you and Finn are going on a date and Sandra and I are going to babysit."

"But what if he wakes up tomorrow and doesn't remember?" I asked, my fingers playing with my empty mug.

"You might need to prompt his memory, or not, your choice, just tell him that Helen and Sandra are babysitting on Saturday night and he needs to find something nice for the two of you to do."

I thought about this and about the option for me to plan something nice to do but figured I would leave Saturday to Finn. For the first time in ages I felt butterflies in my stomach, and I hugged Helen and Sandra as they left. It was nice for me to meet two lovely people who were not part of my family and more importantly perhaps, had not known Gabby.

Checking on Finn before I went to bed, I covered him with a sheet again, kissed his forehead and placed a glass of water and some paracetamol next to his bed for when he woke.

Sunday morning, I let Finn sleep and took the kids to the local playground before heading to Mum and Jarrod's for lunch. I told Mum Finn had had a big night at the Christmas party and the kids would possibly be too noisy for his headache and she laughed. I did not tell her anything about Helen or Sandra and I did not mention what they had planned for the following Saturday either.

Arriving home with groceries for the week the three kids helped me carry them inside.

"Just remember Daddy's got a headache." Olivia whispered to her brothers.

Finn greeted us and helped put the groceries away. Olivia and the boys ran outside to play.

"I, um, Eloise, um" Finn looked embarrassed, "I'm sorry if I was inappropriate last night, I don't remember very much, but I hope I didn't hurt you."

"All good," I smiled as I placed my hand on Finn's arm, "However on which planet did you not realise Helen's gay?"

"Yeah, I kind of wanted to make you think, heck, never mind. No more of these games. And when did you meet Helen?"

"You don't remember her and Sandra bringing you home last night?" I smiled as I walked outside to check on the kids. I did not know if Helen had contacted him at all, but I felt different in his presence. Finn joined me handing me a glass of wine.

"I, um, assume you undressed me last night, but thank-you for at least leaving my underwear on and for the water and pain killers."

"You know you are more than welcome, Finn."

"Yes, but I will have to find a way to make it up to you."

I simply smiled knowing Helen had that in hand as well. Olivia came and joined us and asked Finn about his party.

"It was pretty boring, blossom, but you were right, I would have had more fun if I had taken Eloise with me."

"Daddy, do you like Eloise?"

My eyes bulged at the audacity of the almost 10-year-old.

"Of course I do, blossom!" Finn looked over at me and I could tell he was trying not to laugh at his daughter.

"And El, do you like Daddy?"

"What sort of question is that Livvy? Do you think I'd be here if I didn't?"

"You two are just like Zoe and Oliver Branston at school," Olivia sighed, 'Zoe likes Oliver and I knew Oliver liked Zoe but neither of them would dance together at the disco until I told them to. Daddy, you need to start dancing with Eloise because you like each other."

Olivia left us alone and we were both smiling and contemplating our empty wine glasses.

"I'm sorry about Liv, I hope she didn't embarrass you, but I don't think she understands adult relationships."

"Hmm," I replied standing and taking our wine glasses, "Or perhaps she does." I walked into the kitchen to start preparing dinner.

There was no more talk of our conversation that evening. After the children were in bed Finn and I planned for the week, the last of the school year.

"Um, I've taken Friday off to attend the kids' concerts on the last day of the year, it would be lovely if you could join us. That is, if you are free."

I had already planned to attend to see my siblings, but it was nice of Finn to ask.

My phone buzzed on Monday morning after I had finished the laundry.

"You didn't tell me about Saturday, El!"

"Which one? Last or this? I didn't think you'd want reminding of last and I wasn't sure if you you'd be happy about next. Helen can be rather pushy!"

"Perhaps Olivia is right though, El, perhaps we do need to try dancing on Saturday night. It would be a shame to waste babysitting offers..."

"That's true, Finn. So, I'll need dancing shoes then?"

"That might be nice and you could wear anything- I'm sure you'd make a hessian sack look sexy, but be ready to leave at 6pm."

Finn had indeed been flirting with me over text. It brought feelings to me that I had been ignoring; butterflies in my stomach and I wondered if my bottom lip would bruise from biting so hard on it!

The school concert was amazing. I sat between Mum and Finn and had both trying to talk to me throughout it. I did not want Mum to suspect anything, so I tried to ignore Finn's comments. He could see what I was doing so would comment on my conversation with my mother so that she could not hear it. Conversation got louder though at the intermission.

"Mum did you know Zoe has a boyfriend called Oliver and they danced at the recent disco?"

"Did she tell you that?" Mum looked horrified thinking about her almost 10-year-old daughter.

"Nah, Livvy spilled the beans."

"So you don't want to tell your mother that her elder daughter is going on a hot date tomorrow night?" Finn whispered in my ear. I poked him in the thigh and tried not to giggle.

"Anything else I need to know El?"

"Nope, but I'm sure Olivia can fill you in on anything else."

"I bet you're glad we haven't told them about tomorrow night yet then!" Finn again whispered and he received another poke from me.

"So, Finn, anymore dates lined up? El told me about Ruby- I don't know what she was bloody well thinking!" Mum decided to bypass me at this stage.

"Actually Greta, I'm taking a lovely woman out tomorrow night and it has me feeling almost giddy, she's really caught my eye lately much to my own surprise."

"I suppose that means you're sitting then El, because Jarrod got two tickets for a concert tomorrow night, but I doubt we'll get a sitter this late."

"Actually Finn," Jarrod piped up across Mum and I, "Why don't you take the tickets for your date? Oh, and El, you're still right for next Friday night which is our work Christmas do?"

"Just don't get as drunk as Finn did at his work do, Jarrod- he brought two women home that night!"

"You sly fox, Finnian O'Loughlin!" Mum looked astounded, "Is this who the date is with?"

"Well I'm seeing at least one of them tomorrow night I suppose." He replied. I simply tried not to laugh.

The principal again stepped on stage and the lights dimmed. Finn pressed his elbow into my arm. I longed to place my had on his thigh, but I knew Mum would have noticed.

"Wow," Mum commented after the concert whilst Finn was finding the twins, "I have not seen Finn so animated since Gabby died. Whoever this mystery woman is, she seems to have worked wonders. I hope you're ok though, I mean, Gabby noted that even though you were only 16, you would be exactly the sort of person Finn would be drawn to."

"Mum, you are right, it is great seeing Finn so happy, especially leading up to Christmas, but perhaps don't put the cart before the horse, it's only a date after all!"

"No, Eloise, the change in him means this means much more to him than just a date. Remember, honey, you'll always have a bed at our place if you need to move out from the O'Loughlin's for any reason."

I thanked Mum with a hug, however she had again brought up Gabby's ghost and her dreams for Finn and I to be together. I found it strange and almost ghoulish to think that someone would predestine my future, but also remembered that my mum was already a mother at 16.

Finn was up before me on Saturday and was making pancakes when Leith and I entered the kitchen. Hunter was on a stool next to the stove helping his father and with each batch, Finn would make a tiny inch sized pancake for Hunter to nibble on as the others cooked. Olivia had spent the night with Zoe at Mum and Jarrod's.

"So, boys, we have big plans today and I haven't even told El about them!"

I could see Leith and Hunter looking at each other and their excitement was contagious.

We collected Olivia, much to her protests, however pulling up to the Christmas Tree farm she stopped complaining.

"This is where we came with you, El, that Christmas that Mummy died." Olivia remembered from the back seat.

We walked around searching for the perfect tree. Leith, who was always the quietest in the family pointed to a large one with beautiful foliage and we all agreed it would be prefect. Finn tied it to the roof of the car, and we drove home.

"This is so perfect," Olivia mused as we carried it inside, and she was right.

I gathered the decorations from the storage cupboard, and we spend the rest of the morning decorating it. We strung lights in the windows that faced the street and the lounge looked entirely festive.

"Kids," Finn said as we ate sandwiches for lunch, "Tonight Helen and her friend Sandra are going to be babysitting you because I'm taking Eloise to dinner and then a concert to thank her for all the hard work she has been doing around here."

"Yay!" The three children screamed in unison and Finn and I smiled at each other.

"Can we chat?" I texted Leonie that afternoon.

She called me straight away, and we talked for half an hour about my upcoming date. I told her that although I was really attracted to Finn, in the back of my mind I kept thinking that everyone else had arranged this and I questioned my own feelings and whether they were genuine or created by expectations of other people.

"Oh El, Finn obviously likes you from what you've told me and from what you've told me you like him. Go to dinner and the concert and see what happens! One date does not mean you will live happily ever after, but I will let you in on a secret- doctors are amazing lovers, even if I only have a sample size of one!"

I thanked Leonie for her advice. I did like Finn. I realised I wanted to hold his hand walking amongst the Christmas Trees and at the concert the day before I wished I had spent time talking with him instead of my mother. My favourite time of the day was with him in the evenings as we sat and talked about things. As much as I adored the children, I also had been developing feelings for their father.

Finn knocked at my door at 6 as we had arranged, despite my door being opposite his bedroom door! I wore a navy wrap dress that Tilly had made me buy before we finished uni arguing it accentuated all my curves. I wore the necklace and earrings Finn had given me for my birthdays and silver heels I had worn to a ball the previous year. I tied my auburn hair in a low ponytail as it was too warm to wear down and applied mascara and lip gloss which were the only make-up items I owned.

"Wow!" Finn stood with his mouth open.

"I gather you approve!" I smiled, "Is that a new shirt? Did I tell you I was wearing blue and you've gone matchy-matchy?"

"Yes and no! It's new and I didn't want to wear pink, although I know you like pink!"

Helen and Sandra had been making pizza with the kids in the kitchen as we walked through, and Helen reminded them not to get floury hands over us! The boys were not too fussed, but Olivia wore a huge smile and she told us to have fun.

We managed some smalltalk in the car, but it was clear both of us were nervous.

"I, um, chose Japanese for dinner, l, I hope you don't mind. It's just..."

Finn trailed off and I could see he was struggling to find words.

"I told myself I didn't want to talk about Gabby tonight, because it's not fair on you, but I chose Japanese because she hated it and we never went there and I thought it might be something that you and I could have."

"Japanese sounds perfect. Gabby is going to come up in conversation whether we like it or not. She was an exceptionally important part of your life for over 10 years and she is the mother of your children. It is right that we talk about her."

As we waited for our meals Finn opened up more.

"I, um, at your 18th I noticed I was jealous of the way the boys were looking at you. I want to let you know that. And also, I contacted my parents much more than I ever had before when you were living there, just in case we could have a short conversation and spending Christmas without you has been hard so I'm glad you're here this year."