Ever After

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yep. How about eight?"

"Perfect."

"Now don't you guys hurry back. Take your time and enjoy yourselves. Kat, you haven't left the house since ya got here. Have a day on the town." Gram smiled.

"Now, I can't leave ya all day! If we can't find one early, we'll come back and get you fed and then try again."

"Oh I'll be fine. You two just enjoy yourselves. Trace, would ya help me to the porch? I'd like to get some fresh air before bed."

"Course Gram." Trace shot Kat a glance over the old lady's head. Kat shook her head and flushed.

Once Gram was adjusted, Trace popped back into the kitchen to make her a cup of green tea. Kat was loading the dishwasher with her back to him. Trace gave her ass a pat as he reached around her for a coffee cup.

"What was that about?"

"Gram knows."

"Knows what?"

Kat told him the story, and Trace nearly dropped the mug.

"Great, now I'm gonna be uncomfortable." He winced in mock pain.

"That's only fair." Kat smiled. "Oh, about tomorrow, if we're going to be gone all day, I don't really feel comfortable leaving to go to your house."

Trace felt like he got punched in the gut. She was rejecting him.

"So, if ya don't mind, could we just.. Well, will you come back here?" Kat chewed her bottom lip while she avoided his eyes.

A grin lit his face. "Darlin', I'd do anything for you."

The microwave beeped and Trace removed the cup, putting a tea bag in to soak.

"For a second, I thought you were turning me down."

"Now why would I do that?" Kat decided to tease him like he'd teased her. Sort of.

"I don't know.. Just the way ya worded it, had me a little worried."

"I can't believe you'd think that. After the obvious fun I.. well, we, had this afternoon..." Kat glanced up at him from under her lashes. His mouth had gone slack.

"Trace... I think I like you. I'd never turn ya down." Kat headed for the porch, letting her hand graze across the front of his jeans as she brushed past.

He stood for a moment, stunned. "That brat."

The next morning Kat stood in front of the cheval mirror and eyed herself. She couldn't believe she was looking at a woman who had slept with a man the second day she knew him. She also was having trouble believing she did that with a man she was going to be seeing frequently. It almost would have been better had he been a stranger she never had to face again.

She sighed and smoothed her hand over her hair, then tied it in a low pony-tail at the nape of her neck. Did Trace think less of her for her actions? What if he had just been caught up in the moment, and in the bright light of a new day decided she was a loose woman? Shaking herself, Kat decided she didn't care what he thought. She was a grown woman, and they had been attracted to each other. There was nothing wrong with that. Was there?

Gram was already at the kitchen table when Kat walked into the room.

"Morning. My, you look beautiful!"

"Thanks Gram. So do you." Kat kissed her forehead.

"Pooh. That color is good on you. I bet Trace will think so too." Gram smirked over the rim of her coffee cup.

Kat felt herself flush as she got her own coffee. Glancing down at her jean Capri's, brown sandals, and her peach sleeveless blouse, she decided she did look pretty good. And she didn't care if Trace thought so. Inside she knew it was a lie... she had specifically worn this shirt because it was good with her tan and her hair color. Kat rolled her eyes and glanced at the clock. It was a quarter to eight. Trace should be getting there any minute.

"Gram, I don't want you getting up much while we're gone, ya hear me? I don't want you to fall. You have my cell phone number, so if you have any issues, call, and we'll come straight back. Got it?" Kat plopped Gram's bagel and applesauce down in front of her.

"Yes dear. But I'll be fine. You guys have a good time, and find me the world's cutest pooch." Gram smiled and dug into her meal.

On cue, and ten minutes early, Trace rapped his knuckles on the door twice, then swung it open.

"Morning ladies. Woooo-ee! You two sure do make it worth getting up in the morning." Trace dropped his customary kiss on Gram's forehead.

Kat couldn't help but think that her lips had been in that same spot only minutes before. She felt herself warm a little, and she turned quickly to hide her flushed face. As she put her cup in the sink, she heard Trace giving Gram much the same lecture she herself had given.

"I already gave her the rules." Kat turned- and bumped into him. "Oh! I didn't-"

Trace planted a kiss on the corner of her mouth.

"Mornin'."

"Morning." Kat cleared her throat.

Trace grinned.

Gram smiled behind her napkin, pretending she didn't see.

"Ready to roll?"

"Yeah. Let me grab my purse. Gram, you better behave while we're gone!"

"I'll be fine. You two go. Have fun. Enjoy the day."

They said their goodbyes and headed for Trace's truck. Kat hadn't realized how big it was, but her country roots came to her aid and she swung herself up into the seat like a pro.

"Bet ya don't have to do that very much in the big city." Trace smirked.

"Nope. Gramps used to have a truck very much like this one when I was younger. It's all coming back to me." Kat smiled.

Trace flipped the radio on to a country station, and they headed off. The drive was made in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Kat found herself excited for the day, but she was still wondering what Gram had meant about Trace having gone through a lot. She didn't feel she knew him well enough to ask, but maybe later she'd ask Gram.

Trace had his window rolled down and his arm was resting on the ledge. He drove the truck expertly, with his wrist draped over the wheel. Almost every car they passed he gave them the two finger wave and a smile. Kat marveled at the ease in which he went through life. Friendly, charming; he was a good ole boy. And him being sexy as sin helped quite a bit also.

Kat dug through her purse and finally found her sunglasses and slipped them on. She was glad she had tied her hair back with the way the wind whipped through the windows. She rolled hers the rest of the way down, then turned and opened the sliding back window. Leaning back, she closed her eyes and listened to the music, and rubbed her hands back and forth against the fabric of the bench seat.

"The weight of the world, is on your shoulders.. I know what you need.. Bring it on home to me.. oh bring it on home.. Yeah, bring it on home to me.." Kat sang quietly.

The early hour made the air crisp, and Kat inhaled deeply, loving the smell of the nature all around her. Little did she know, Trace was barely watching the road.

He was intrigued by her profile... the way her nose tipped up at the end slightly, the graceful arch of her throat. Her voice was damn good, and the words of the song she had sung struck a chord deep in his chest. He felt a swell of emotion for this woman, and it scared him half to death. She was beautiful, inside and out. He typically could judge people pretty quickly, and Kat was no exception. She was good to her bones, and he wanted to learn more.

Kat was still humming along with the radio, and she finally opened her eyes, rolling her head to the side to watch the passing countryside. There were only a few more minutes until they got into town, but the land was still mostly unoccupied. It suddenly hit her. She didn't want to go back. She wanted to have her things packed up and sent to her, and she wanted to stay. Her head lifted off the seat and she blinked. Maybe this was what her life was missing. The genuine relationships you have with people. Knowing all your neighbors, being able to depend on them for anything that comes up. Tears filled her eyes as she thought back to her lonely evenings, watching television in her apartment with no one to share anything with. Sure she had friends, but they were those surface friends that you couldn't depend on for anything.

Kat jumped, her gaze flying to Trace. He had slid his hand underneath hers, clasping it tightly. He had known she needed that, and he didn't even know her that well. This was it. This was what she needed.

"I'm staying." Kat blinked back her tears and swallowed hard.

"I'm glad." Trace glanced at her and gave her a supportive smile.

A few minutes later they were getting out of the truck in front of the animal shelter. Trace met her at her door and he grasped her hand, lacing their fingers together. She smiled and they headed in.

After speaking with a woman named Sandy, they were led back to the kennels. By the sound of the barking there must have been a million dogs back there.

"Come on babies, be on your best behavior!" Sandy said above the racket. "They don't listen." She laughed and left them to their own devices.

There were big dogs, small ones, old ones, puppies, and everything in between. The selection was staggering.

"I had no idea there would be so many!" Kat walked slowly between the cages.

"I didn't either. It's a little disheartening." Trace stuck his hand down, palm out, and put it up to each cage, letting the dogs sniff him.

Some jumped at their enclosure, others lay on the floor, hardly bothering to lift their heads.

"Okay babies. My grandma needs a new best friend.. Who wants the job?" Kat felt the sting of tears again. There were so many.. And some looked so depressed and hopeless. Others had no idea how good life could be, considering how excited they were to be there.

The couple split up and walked the aisles. Kat hated it. This was much different than going to a pet store and looking at the puppies through the glass. This was much baser. These dogs had been abandoned for one reason or another. She decided right then she would not go to any other place. She wanted no part of it. It was not the fun outing she anticipated.

"Darlin', I think I found her." Trace's voice carried across the room. Most of the dogs had stopped barking.

Kat realized she had been staring around, not looking at much. Her arms were wrapped across her stomach, almost protectively. Like she could keep out the sadness of the situation. She had to stop looking into the eyes of these animals, or she would take them all home. Kat made her way over to where Trace was kneeling.

She crouched down also. By the tag on the kennel, she was a year and a half old, and had been trained through the prison program. Trace had been putting her through the paces, making her sit, lay down, roll over. She listened to his commands quickly, her eyes bright.

"You're a pretty little girl, aren't you." Kat placed her palm against the fencing.

"She listens. It says she's good with other animals and children."

The worker, Sandy, reappeared.

"She's a very good girl. A lot of times she almost gets adopted, then they decide she's too big. As far as we know, she's part Golden Retriever, but we don't know who her daddy was." Sandy smiled.

"She's gorgeous." Kat smiled at the dog, and she swore the dog smiled back.

In reality, the dog had started panting, but it made Kat laugh.

"We'll take her." Trace stood. "Darlin', I'll fill out the papers but will you run out to the truck and get the collar and leash out of the center console?"

"Sure." Kat was more than happy to get out of there. Standing in the sunshine, she took several deep breaths. She decided right then and there to do something to help the plight of these poor dogs. The minute she had a chance, she was going to search things online and find out exactly she could do.

Fifteen minutes later, they exited the building with the new family member. Trace held the leash, and the dog walked sedately beside him. She was alert, but she stayed at his side, heeling nicely.

"Wow, she really is trained." Kat opened her door and climbed up, laughing as a ball of fur launched itself in from the driver side.

"I bet she'd ride in the back, but I don't wanna try that yet. Let her get used to her new life first." Trace climbed in.

The dog sat in the middle, tongue lolling, happy as could be. Kat examined her, and she pretty much looked exactly like a Golden. Her fur was shorter, but it was that warm honey color, and her nose was a little broader.

"I wish Gram would have told us what name she picked. I wonder what it is." Kat reached and stroked the big dog's head.

"I don't know. I bet it's a good one though." Trace was just a voice. The dog pretty much hid him.

"Trace, I didn't want to go anywhere else to look for a dog. That was so sad. I want to help. Those poor dogs.." Kat's voice had caught in her throat.

"I know. Domino and Boss were both rescue dogs. I don't know how people can still go buy dogs when there are so many that need help. And for a small fee, not hundreds of dollars."

The dog suddenly turned her head and gave the side of Trace's face a long swipe with her tongue. Trace burst out laughing, and Kat squealed with laughter.

"I think she agrees!"

The dogs head swung to Kat, and she squeezed her eyes shut as the dog lapped at her face. The truck was filled with laughter, and Kat wrapped her arms around the dog's neck, giving her a hug. The dog stilled, and when Kat pulled back she looked into those warm brown eyes, and knew they had picked the right pet for her grandma.

"Gram! We're home! There's someone that we want you to meet!" Kat called from the porch.

Trace followed with the dog, and she greedily sniffed the ground. Kat opened the door and left it hanging open. Gram was in her chair in the living room.

"Oh! That was fast! I'm so excited." Gram sat up a little farther.

"Congratulations Mom.. Meet your bouncing baby girl." Kat stepped to the side, and Trace dropped the leash, letting the dog make her own way in.

"Oh.. Oh my.. She's gorgeous. Aren't you a gorgeous girl." Gram's eyes filled with tears. "She is perfect. Come here baby.. I'm your new mama." Gram extended her hand.

The dog looked around, and she headed calmly towards her new master.

"She's already trained. We'll have to go to the store and get food and treats and things."

But Gram wasn't listening. She was stroking the top of the dogs head, staring into her eyes like she was her salvation.

"True."

"We'll go do that in a little bit."

"No. Her name. True."

Trace and Kat looked at each other, then back at Gram.

"She is the most beautiful dog ever, I think. Kat, Trace, she is perfect." Gram had looked up, and True licked her neck. "Thank you. I think we're soul mates."

"We're glad you like her." Kat smiled.

"Go on girl. True baby.. Go explore your new house." Gram settled back in her chair.

True stood, and off she went, sniffing every nook and cranny. Kat went to the kitchen and put a bowl of water on the floor. True found it and drank greedily. She licked her lips over the bowl, and Kat swore she was trying not to get water on the floor.

Once the entire house had been sniffed over, Trace and Kat took True outside, and she did her business quickly, then ran back to the door. They let her in, and she went and laid at Gram's feet, closing her eyes.

"I think you picked the best dog on the planet." Kat leaned against the doorframe in the kitchen.

Trace was behind her in the doorway, and her shoulder brushed against his chest.

"Thank you. I do what I can." Trace gave a short laugh.

They watched as Gram rested her head against the back of the chair with a smile on her face, and shut her eyes.

"I guess it's naptime." Kat pushed off the frame. "Gram, we're going to run to the store. We'll be back shortly."

"Okay honey. We'll be fine."

At the store, they loaded up the cart with dog food, treats, chewies, toys, and a great big dog bed that Kat laid her head on and swore she would sleep on it. Trace laughed as he threw dog shampoo and conditioner in the cart. Kat threw in a pink collar with rhinestones and the matching leash. Trace grabbed one of the automatic water bowls, the big one. Then added a second to keep outside.

"Domino and Boss will appreciate this too." Trace laughed.

"I bet. Thanks Trace, for all your help."

"No problem. I've had a good time."

"Me too."

They stood staring at each other in the dog food aisle. Kat leaned across the cart and gave him a peck on the lips. As she pulled back, Trace reached out and grabbed the back of her neck, pulling her forward. Their lips met, and he quickly slipped his tongue into her mouth, stroking it against hers. Kat reached up and laid her hand along his cheek. Trace finally pulled back.

"That's better. Or worse, depending on how you look at it." Trace gave a mock grimace and glanced down.

Kat laughed as she saw the proof of his liking for her straining against his jeans.

"You better push the cart.. I don't need a flock of women descending upon you because of your manliness." Kat headed down the aisle, as Trace tried to discreetly adjust himself. He finally caught up with her and they went to the check out.

At the truck, Trace loaded their purchases into the bed then climbed in. Kat was already in with the radio on. Patsy Cline was singing about falling to pieces.

"I can't believe it's only noon. I feel like it should be evening already. I am getting hungry though."

"Me too. Wanna grab a hamburger?"

They went through a fast food drive thru, and then headed back to Gram's. Trace carried their things in, and Kat took the food. She woke Gram up and served her lunch. The entire time True laid at her feet, only lifting her head to smell. She never once begged.

As they ate, Kat asked, "Trace, are you going to go get your dogs?"

"I don't want to upset True. Maybe I better wait for a couple days. I do need to get home and check on them though."

"Oh, True will be fine. She wants to meet them. I told her all about them, didn't I girl?"

In answer, the dog's tail banged against the floor.

"Okay, then I guess I'll bring them up with me."

When Trace left, Kat filled the food bowl, got both the water bowls set up, switched True's collar, and put the dog bed beside Gram's chair. True watched all the setting up, and finally decided this was going to be her home. She walked in circles on the bed, scratched a little, then laid back down. Kat had also got a wicker basket to keep the toys in, so she opened all the packages and took tags off of things, then put the 'toy box' on the floor. True had to examine it, and she chose a tennis ball.

She tossed it in the air a few times, then brought it over to Kat.

"Okay girl. Let's go outside." Gram was snoozing peacefully, so Kat opened the door quietly and they snuck out.

Kat let the ball fly, and True was off like a streak of lightning. She brought it right back and dropped it into Kat's hand. She threw it again, and the dog took off. Every time she brought it back, it was dropped into Kat's hand. She never had to tell her to drop it or wrestle with her to get it.

Several minutes- and throws- later, on the return, True stopped and perked her ears. Kat turned and saw Trace's truck pulling into the drive. Domino and Boss were in the back, tongues and tails wagging. She glanced at True, and her tail was wagging also.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Trace parked the truck and got out, motioning for his dogs to do the same. The boys got out, and they approached True slowly. All three dogs sniffed, tails never slowing. Trace came to Kat's side and loped his arm around her waist. Together they watched as an instant friendship developed. True dropped her ball, and nudged it with her nose, pushing it towards her new friends.

Domino hesitated for only a second, grabbed it, and took off running. True and Boss were close on his heels, and they jumped and pounced and barked. The trio zigged and zagged, faking each other out, trying to get their mouths on the ball.