Flame Trees

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Guess I can help out with that now, Mum," I said.

She smiled. "I don't expect either of you to pay much. The house is bought and paid for. I'll need help with bills and food, but we'll figure it out as we go along. And I assume you'll want to move out eventually. There's enough housing around, and it's much cheaper here than down south. But you're welcome to stay as long as you want. As I said, you'll always have a home here."

I was tired after a long drive, but Mum suggested treating her grown children to dinner that evening, so after we'd both enjoyed a hot shower, where I worked out the kinks from being sat behind a steering wheel for close to seven hours, we walked towards the city centre, grabbing dinner at one of the hotels. As we ate and enjoyed a drink or two, we caught up on the basic news of our lives, Mum eventually opening the can of worms that was my inevitable divorce, while also asking about Amy's private life. Hers sounded as miserable as mine, to be honest.

Returning home, we gathered out on the veranda again, the sun now having set, finding ourselves looking at far more stars in the sky than back down south. Mum had wine in the fridge but no beer, though she did have scotch, which was good enough for me. After a couple more drinks, Mum was falling asleep in her chair, so I helped her to bed, no surprise she gave me a long hug at her doorway.

"You know I'm going to dote on my children now," she said.

"I'd expect nothing less, Mum."

"Did you look after your sister?"

"As best as I could, Mum. You know I always have, but if she doesn't tell me..."

She kissed my cheek. "You're a good son, and better big brother. And I'm glad you're both here."

"Me too, Mum. It's a new start for both of us."

Wishing her goodnight, she shut the door and was probably fast asleep within a couple of minutes, while I joined Amy back outside. As it was the middle of the year, the temperature dipped considerably, particularly in regional New South Wales, so I grabbed a jumper from her luggage, and one for myself from mine. She was still sipping at some wine as I sat next to her, no surprise she curled her legs and snuggled against me.

"This is nice," she whispered.

I wrapped an arm around her, kissing the top of her head. "What I remember growing up is we rarely argued."

"Mark, you weren't just my big brother, you were almost my guidance counsellor at times, but more than that, you were my friend."

"I was?"

"Of course. And more than one of my friends had a massive crush on you. Of course, by the time you started dating Hayley, you just wouldn't have noticed."

"Well, I hope you still think you can come to me about things, Amy."

"I know, but with you getting married and obviously wanting to start a family eventually..."

"Amy, I would always make time for you."

"I know," she said softly, "But... well, it doesn't matter now. I learned lessons from the last dickhead I was with. I'm going to stay single for a while now."

"Me too there. Shit, the only people I'd be willing to trust right now are you and Mum."

"I'm sorry she hurt you."

"I'll get over it eventually. Knowing I have to remain married to her for a few more months' sucks. So I'll focus on other things, like getting my own business started."

"I can help with that regarding the financials. You know, taxes and shit."

"You sure?"

"Numbers have always been one of my strengths."

I almost snorted. She had far more strengths than weaknesses. In fact, the major weakness she had was her good heart and people manipulating her. I'm fairly sure that's what likely happened before, but she just didn't feel comfortable enough to tell me. "I'm glad we did this, Mark," she said softly.

"Me too."

We chilled out the next day as the long drive knocked the stuffing out of me, though we did sit down during the day and discuss ideas and plans for the future. Amy was easy to figure out as she'd work from home. Though she'd spend time in her room, Mum assured her that sitting at the dining table or even outside wouldn't be a problem as no-one would bother her.

As for myself, I'd spoken to Mum often about wanting to eventually start my own business, and we all knew now was the best time to start putting things together. I already had my own ute, I had my own tools, but what I needed to do was ensure I had a steady supply of work. So Mum made some calls on my behalf during the next week, while my sister and I had to go about setting up my business. There was far more to it than most people probably know.

First, there was choosing the structure. As I wanted to be the boss and sole owner, that's what I went with. Then there was the type, applying for a business number and registering my new business, needing to think of a name for it, then registering a domain name, where Mum's help came in handy, and at the end, it was making sure I paid the correct taxes. All in all, the business number took barely a few minutes to get, it was sorting the other stuff that did confuse me. Thank heavens for my sister.

Mum helped out by dragging in some help to get my website set up, the kids of her friends pitching in to help, while most of her calls were spreading word about my new business, and that if anyone wanted some work done to their house, office or god only knew what, then I had nearly ten years' experience.

I spent time applying paint to the side of my ute, with my new business name and phone number. Mum was busy putting together a new story that she hoped would sell as well as all the others. Amy was stuck behind her monitor for most of the day, only coming out for a quick lunch or a coffee. As I was technically unemployed until all the paperwork was done, and I received my first call, she did like to come out for a quick hug with her brother.

During that first week, Mum, Amy and I ate dinner every night before retiring to the veranda. I already loved the sound of silence, and having Mum and Amy to either side of me on the long couch was certainly a nice feeling. Amy already seemed to love snuggling into me, while I think Mum just loved the company. She'd head to bed earlier than us most of the time, seeming to love the sight of her two adult children getting along so well, though she mentioned she couldn't remember any problem when we'd been growing up.

"We should hit the town one night," I suggested to Amy, "See what sort of nightlife Grafton actually has."

The suggestion made her chuckle. "I'm sure it's not that exciting, but it would be nice just to sit in a pub for a few hours." She glanced up at me, her eyes sparkling in the moonlight. "Are you taking your sister out on a date, Mark?"

"Well, I could always ask Mum if you don't want to go with me."

That earned me a gentle push. "Tease. And, yes, I'd like a night out, even if it is with my brother."

It gave us something to look forward to during the week. I had my first job that week, one of Mum's friends asking for her entire house to be painted inside and out, and decorated inside to give it a facelift. It was an expensive job, one she was more than willing to pay for. I had no-one working for me yet, so doing it all myself was backbreaking work, but once I'd built some collateral, and a regular stream of work, I'd certainly take on someone, more than likely an apprentice or two, and go from there.

I was worn out by Friday night, Mum ordering in a take-out, while I'd picked up a slab from the bottle-o so I had beer ready for the weekend. I was so tired, as I had much more to think about now that I was by myself doing everything, I was almost passing out on the couch outside, enough that even Mum was telling me to go to bed.

What surprised me was waking up at sometime early in the morning, around 2am after checking my phone, to find Amy snuggled up next to me. I checked to see that she was wearing her pyjamas, so that was something, and my shuffling around woke her up. "Do you mind?" she whispered.

"Nah, you're okay. Wanted some company?"

"I thought you might, actually. Considering you wouldn't have gone to bed alone for a long time..."

I wrapped an arm around her, feeling her snuggle into my side. "Well, I guess it would take getting used to. Has felt a little lonely, I can admit that."

"I remember you never had a problem hugging me, even when at school and I was your embarrassing little sister."

"You were never embarrassing, Amy. I was proud of my little sister. Certified genius compared to her brother." That earned me a soft kiss on the cheek. "And she's blossomed into quite the attractive young woman. Speaking objectively, of course. Not as your big brother."

"What does my brother think?"

"That I'll have to hold them back with a broom until the right man comes along." That made her giggle, at least. "I won't be dating anytime soon, though."

"You need to heal, Mark. There's no rush to date again."

"Guess living at home with my mother and sister isn't exactly going to have women falling over to date me anyway."

"While that's true, you now own your own business, you're good looking..."

"I'm good looking?"

Hmmm, guess it's time to describe myself. I was the tallest in the family though hadn't hit six foot by the time I stopped growing. But years of hard work and rugby through school and then playing on a Saturday had helped me broaden out. I kept myself fit otherwise. Light brown hair. Same blue eyes as my mother and sister. Hayley, if I could still believe anything she said, had always said I'd grown more handsome with every year. She'd always loved the stubble I kept, preferring that to clean shaven. I'd been tempted more than once to just grow a beard, but it's generally too hot for that much facial hair. Basically, years with Hayley had kept self-confidence high, though it had obviously ebbed since discovering the truth.

"My big brother has always been very handsome."

"Thanks, Amy. Actually does me some good to hear that."

I needed to go for a pee, returning to find Amy already fast asleep. I managed to get back into bed without her waking up, though she naturally snuggled closer to me once I was relaxed again. I kissed the top of her head and fell back asleep rather quickly.

Mum said nothing when Amy left my room the next morning, smiling as we joined her at the table for breakfast. She already knew we were going out for a few drink that night, and we'd organised it for a night when she'd be catching up with a bunch of her friends. "It will do you some good to get out of the house," she said, "Maybe make a friend or two during the evening."

I'd already looked into local sports teams, thankful there were rugby teams in the winter, though with the season well underway, I'd have to wait until next year to register, though cricket season would start in a couple of months, already applying to play in the local league. But I'd left nearly all my friends back down south, as had Amy. We really only had each other until we'd established new circles of friends.

I had no problem working on a Saturday, so put in a few hours on the same job, aware it would take me another week at least to finish up. I got home mid-afternoon to find Mum and Amy on the veranda, already sharing a bottle of wine. I had a shower first before joining them outside with a beer, Mum leaving earlier than us as she was going to a friend's house first.

Amy cuddled into me immediately. "You know, if I hadn't been married, I probably would have come up here far earlier if I knew it was going to be this peaceful," I murmured.

"You don't miss the city?"

"God no. And it's not because of what happened. But everything just feels more relaxed here. I guess it is, in many ways."

"I like being here already. Nice living with Mum again. Even nicer being with you."

"Miss me?"

"Yeah. I know you had Hayley, so it was different when you were... well, let's be honest, forced out of home. When I moved out, it was alone, and I've lived that way the entire time. Never felt comfortable inviting a boyfriend to move in."

"Why not?"

"Because despite feeling a little lonely, I also liked having my own space to unwind after a long day. And, let's be honest, not all men are great to live with."

Agreeing to get ready, I just put on some jeans and a nice shirt, and good leather shoes, but I didn't expect Amy to walk out of her room in quite the dress. No ordinary dress either. A black number, nothing over her shoulders, down to her knees, tight enough to shower off her curves, but not tight enough to stop her from walking comfortable. Pair of black heels and stockings, faint make-up on her face, a small purse to carry cash, card and keys, and that was it.

"Scrub up nicely, Amy."

She smiled, walking towards me, leaning in to take a sniff of my cologne. "Oooh, I like that one."

"Obviously not one she bought me. I left all that shit behind."

With her heels, walking into the city centre was out, so I called us a cab, taking us to one of the best reviewed pubs in town for our meal. Amy certainly turned a few heads when walking inside, while I think I even earned one or two glances. I'm fairly sure we had the look of out-of-towners. The meal was simple but tasty, Amy enjoying a little wine, while I sipped at a couple of beers as we ate, the conversation flowing as easily as it always did. We most reminisced about our life back at home.

Once the sun set and places finished serving food, music started to play and we bounced from bar to bar, aware most places would close far sooner than back down south, but we were not interested in being out until dawn. Amy eventually suggested she'd like to go home, so I managed to get us a cab rather quickly, walking inside and, as Mum's bedroom door was close, we assumed she was home.

Wanting a nightcap, we enjoyed one last drink outside. It was cold, but Amy didn't complain, snuggling into my side again for warmth. I was getting used to her doing that, and it felt rather nice, almost like we were getting as close as we used to be.

Heading inside, I escorted her to her bedroom door, Amy turning to face me. I assumed she just wanted a hug as always, but when she pressed a hand on my chest and her eyes met mine, she looked... well, I forgot she was my sister for a moment. I leaned down just to kiss her cheek, but she turned just enough that our lips met.

Maybe it was just the fact I needed that sort of contact again, but the brief touch of lips quickly turned into my arms wrapped around him, and it took all of a few seconds for the kiss to grow in intensity. My tongue quickly found its way into her mouth, a gentle exploration and keeping it playful, before I realised what the hell I was doing and gently pulled back.

"Fuck... I'm sorry, Amy," I whispered, looking away from her.

"What are you sorry for?"

"I shouldn't have done that."

She put a finger on my jaw, gently moving my head to meet her eyes again. She was smiling at me. "Do I look mad? Am I complaining?"

"No to both, to be honest."

"Want company again tonight?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea now."

She hugged me tightly, wrapping my arms around her in return. "I liked being with you last night, Mark," she whispered.

"Okay." I guess I relented rather quickly, but she was my little sister, and if it made her happy, so be it.

Once I was down to my boxer-briefs, I turned to see her rolling off her stocking, showing off her rather shapely legs, before she stood up and undid her dress. Only then did she remember she wasn't wearing a bra. That caused a raise of my eyebrows first before I turned around, grabbed a shirt and gave it to her to wear.

Sliding under the blankets, Amy joined me and she had no problem snuggling against me. Feeling the smooth skin of her leg against mine felt rather nice, her fingers rather quickly stroking my chest. "I missed you after you moved out," she murmured, "I used to like spending time with you before we went to bed. Doing this probably would have raised questions back then though."

"Well, I think I'll be here a while. But doing this every night..."

"I don't care, Mark. I like this. I like being with my big brother again."

"Missed me a lot?"

"Too much," she whispered.

I turned to face her, barely able to see her in the darkness, but I saw the slight shimmer in her eyes. I leaned forward and gave her another soft kiss before caressing her cheek. "I tried to always make time, Amy..."

"You did, and I always appreciated that. Didn't mean I didn't miss you the rest of the time though!"

She rested her head against me and seemed to settle down quickly. No surprise she was asleep just as quickly. I probably should have lay there and worried about the fact I'd kissed my sister, and the fact she'd kissed me back, but I'll be honest, it felt rather nice. Add to that, I loved my sister anyway so... I probably should have felt strange about it, but I didn't. So I stopped thinking about it and fell asleep.

Waking up the next morning, I opened my eyes to find we'd moved during the evening so she was now spooned back against me. And that was immediately a problem considering I woke up with an erection. It happened every morning, but with my sister in bed with me. Then there was the fact my right hand was under her shirt, resting on her stomach, with her hand resting above mine above the fabric.

"Amy?"

"Hmmm."

"Amy?"

She giggled. "You're poking me, Mark," she whispered.

"I know. Want me to move?" I whispered back.

"Part of me says yes. The larger part of me says no. Do you?"

"Not really. I'm comfortable, but..."

"Then just stay in bed with me until we get hungry. I don't care if you've got a hard on. I know all about biology. It's a natural thing, though I'll take the fact you're really poking me as a compliment."

Trying to sleep with an erection is something most men know is almost impossible, but I don't think she fell asleep either. So we lay in silence, perhaps dozing for a few minutes at most, before there was a knock at the door. "Mark, I'm cooking some bacon if you want a sandwich. Want an egg with that?"

"Yeah, thanks, Mum."

"Is... Amy in there with you? Didn't get a reply from her and she wasn't in there when I took a peek."

"Yeah, she's here."

"I'll have the same, Mum."

"Okay, should be ready in a few minutes."

We got out of bed, Amy collecting her clothes before kissing my cheek, walking out to probably get dressed, while I threw on some tracksuit bottoms, a shirt and jumper, as it was winter and houses were bloody cold at this time of year. After putting on some thick socks, I wandered out to join Mum in the kitchen. I gave her a hug, which made her laugh. "Nice to have hugs from my son again," she said.

Amy joined us just as Mum was placing plates on the table, a coffee each for my sister and I, Mum preferring tea. We ate and sipped at our drinks in silence before the food had been cleared. Only after we'd washed up the plates and re-filled our mugs did Mum clear her throat. "I'm not going to be concerned about my children being close. You're adults and old enough to make your own decisions."

"Mum, all we did was sleep together, sleep being the important word," I said.

"And I like keeping him company. And I'm hoping it will help him feel better," Amy added.

"That's it?" Mum asked, aware she could always sniff out a story.

I glanced at Amy. She returned a subtle shrug. I scratched the back of my neck, feeling a little heat in my cheeks. "Well, um... you see, we might have enjoyed the night, and then we might have..." I trailed off as, I'll admit, it felt awkward.

"We kissed, Mum. Nothing major," Amy said, feeing her take my hand, "I'm not worried, Mark, and you shouldn't be either. It felt nice, and I'm sure was another little thing that helped you feel better."

I figured Mum would perhaps freak out hearing that. Instead, all she did was smile. "Keep looking after each other, okay?"