Flame Trees

Story Info
After heartbreak, a brother and sister fall in love.
22.1k words
4.77
105.3k
314

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 08/31/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,318 Followers

A/N -- Hello again. So I'll be honest from the outset. When I started writing this story, the only thing I'd decided was the eventual setting (the reason this is called 'Flame Trees') and the premise of why they ended up there. As to who would end up with who, I only decided when it actually came to it. Who would the MC end up with?

Guess you'll just have to read and find out...

*****

Rising early as always, I tiptoed around the house so I didn't wake my wife. A quick breakfast with coffee, then a shower so I would at least walk out into the summer heat feeling somewhat refreshed, knowing I was going to be dripping with sweat within minutes as always. Dressing in the spare room, I only had to grab my bag, keys and sunnies before leaving for work, sneaking back into our bedroom to kiss my wife goodbye.

"Love you," she whispered sleepily.

"Love you more. See you tonight," I whispered back.

I'd left school at 16 to become what Australians called a 'tradie', or tradesman if you want the full term. I had no interest in going to university, so sought out and found an apprenticeship with a reputable company. I had to decide at a young age what path to follow, and I figured people would always be wanting people to redecorate rooms and even entire houses, so worked at becoming a fully-fledged painter and decorator, with a side-gig in carpentry, in case prospective clients wanted a little work done at the same time.

At the same age, I'd started dating my future wife while I was in my last year at school. Hayley. We'd known each other since starting high school at the same time, and had always been friendly, but I think we must have nursed crushes, as when I did finally ask her out, her first response was a broad grin and an exclamation of "Finally!"

During that last year at school, for myself at least, we were almost inseparable, at least outside of the classroom. We were already working part-time jobs at the same time, while I played sport on a Saturday, so the only day we really had together was on a Sunday. But we made sure that Sunday was always free, or as best we could. Sometimes there were family events we just couldn't get out of, but more often than not, we'd enjoy a date on a Sunday.

I left school and started working almost immediately at the end of the year while Hayley wanted to keep studying and go to university for future studies, aware of what profession she wanted to pursue. She certainly had my support as she was far more intelligent than I was. Apprentices were not exactly paid well, but I certainly made enough to pay my parents rent, put away a little more in savings for the future, while I could also take Hayley out for what I thought were 'better' dates. I didn't splash cash, certainly couldn't afford that, but I was able to do a little more for the both of us.

My apprenticeship lasted two years before I was taken on as a full-time employee, and while I might not have wanted to go onto further study, I did take part-time college courses as I figured having other certifications, within the same or similar fields, could only be a good thing. Once I hit full-time work, and my sister had finished high school herself, my parents divorced.

I knew they hadn't been happy for years. Surprisingly, Mum was the one to leave the family home, stating she was going to return to her home town a few hours north, and that her children would be more than welcome to join her, though she understood opportunities up north were less than where we lived now. My sister was still studying, while my job was leading places, but we both assured her we'd travel north as often as possible to see her. She was upset, of course, but we were now old enough to understand, and knew she had to put her own happiness first now that we were both adults.

My father wasn't sad to see her go, the divorce pretty much uncontested, and despite the fact they were no longer in love, it wasn't a bitter divorce. They'd simply fallen out of love, stayed together until we were old enough, then they split apart. Wasn't the first time I'd heard it done, wouldn't be the last.

With Mum leaving, Dad didn't want to keep the large house so put it on the market, wanting to downsize to little more than an apartment, as the house was worth considerably more thanks to the booming housing market. That left my sister and I with a problem as he was going to be downsizing considerably. He sat me down one evening and pretty much said I'd have to move out of home, my sister remaining since she was at university and couldn't afford to live away from home. Wasn't particularly what I wanted to hear, but at least he gave me time to put things together.

Then Hayley came up with an idea, meeting me for coffee the day after my father dumped that revelation on me. I move in with her and her parents until she finished university, then we'd marry and move in together. She realised what she'd said and blushed. I took her hand and suggested I might just have to look for a ring, considering we had been dating for three years by then.

I waited until she'd graduated university before proposing. She naturally said yes straight away, and considering she knew it was coming, it wasn't a real surprise she'd been planning our wedding for quite a while. The surprise to me was that she didn't want something big. "All your savings are for a house or apartment, Mark. A wedding is one day of our lives. Our home will be for life."

We married less than six months after I proposed, and six months after that, moved into our own apartment. By the time I was 25, I was making fantastic money and even looking at starting up my own company. I enjoyed working where I did, but the idea of being my own boss was appealing, and with everything online nowadays, I knew I'd left plenty of satisfied customers that would open up plenty of work.

Hayley was happy in her job but was thinking about returning to university as a mature student to add to her previous qualifications. We sat down, did the sums, and figured we could afford it over a couple of years until she returned to the workforce. The only thing we couldn't afford was a child, but she was careful with her birth control, and we'd had no concerns in all the years we'd been having sex, so just hoped that would remain.

I left work for that morning in a good mood. I had a beautiful wife, our own apartment I'd spent years decorating while my wife added her personal touches. We had all the material things people liked to buy. But my wife and I were still very much in love. She was back at university, studying a field she'd always been interested in, and knew there would be jobs upon graduating a second time. Once she was back at work, we agreed to start trying for a family once we hit 30. One or two kids at most, but we agreed we both wanted them.

I just had no idea leaving that morning... everything I'd done since I was 16 would come crashing down.

It was another baking hot day as I drove to the office. I'd finished the last job I had on my calendar the previous day, and hadn't received anything from the boss, so figured it would be a day in the warehouse, getting things ready, or I'd be sent off somewhere to start preparing for a new job. Instead, I was greeted with news that work was quiet, possibly due to the approaching end of year holidays', so I'd only have to do a half to two-thirds of a day before clocking off.

Leaving early, I figured I'd surprise the wife by picking her up and taking her out for a coffee or something then spending the late afternoon together before dinner, as I knew when she had classes and lectures. She took public transport to university, so at least she'd have a lift home as well. I always felt out of place whenever I end up at her university, considering I generally wandered around in paint-stained clothing, blue-collar to the extreme, but everyone was always friendly, and no surprise my wife had friends everywhere. Pointed in the direction of an office, someone who knew her suggested she was currently speaking with one of her professors.

What I found happening in that office changed everything in a matter of seconds. She didn't see me at first. Whether he did, I wasn't sure. But there was no missing the fact he was fucking my wife. The fact he had the audacity to keep the door ajar while doing so was rather brazen from both of them. My feet felt like they were in concrete. I simply couldn't move. Part of me wanted to burst in and beat the shit out of him. But I'd never been a violent person, except when on the rugby field.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the room. He looked up rather startled while she turned and saw me. Her eyes widened in fear, surprise, and I'm sure plenty of other emotions before the tears formed immediately. "I mean, if you're going to cheat on me, Hayley, I would have thought it would be someone at least physically better looking." I gestured at him. "I mean, really? Him?"

"I'll have you know..." he started to say.

"Mate, I would suggest you shut your fucking mouth right now, considering I've just walked in here to find you fucking my wife."

His eyes widened as he glared at her. "What? You said you were..."

"Looks like we've both been played for fools. So, Hayley, I'm sure you're going to try and justify yourself," I continued, watching as she slid off the desk and started to straighten out her clothing, "But I'm not interested. Guess those vows we gave each other meant nothing."

I turned and walked out of the office. A few seconds later, I heard her calling my name, chasing after me. I was almost at my ute when she grabbed my wrist. As I said, I wasn't a violent man, but I did not want her touching me, certainly not after what I'd just witnessed, shaking her off and turning to glare at her. That made her take a step back. She'd probably never seen hate in my eyes before. "I won't be home tonight.".

"Wait. Please, Mark, we can talk about this."

"Talk about what, Hayley?"

"He meant nothing."

"But you still wanted his cock inside you. Suggests to me he meant something, or my wife is a whore." She raised her hand at that, ready to slap me. I smiled at her. "Add a domestic violence charge, Hayley. That'll work in your favour."

I turned and slid behind the wheel of my ute. She came to the passenger door but I made sure that was locked before I reversed out of the parking space. She came around to the driver's window. I lowered it enough. "Please," she said, crocodile tears rolling down her cheeks, "Please talk to me about this."

"You've just thrown away nearly a decade for what, Hayley?" I held up a hand. "Nothing you can ever say will justify it. I guess I just have 'schmuck' written across my forehead. Find your own way home. You're no longer my problem."

I drove in the direction of our apartment before turning off and driving to the home of my best mate, Chris. Knocking on his door, he opened it and took one look at me. "What the fuck's happened?"

I didn't reply until I was on his couch, sipping at a beer. "Finished work early so thought I'd surprise the wife at university. Maybe take her out for coffee, spend the afternoon together, then have dinner and drinks." I shook my head. "Walked into one of the offices there to find her..." I shuddered as the images still made me want to throw up.

"With another guy?" I nodded. "Er, who?"

"One of her professors. Guy must have been at least fifty years old."

"Damn..."

"Yeah, don't exactly feel great about myself right now."

"What are you going to do?"

"Well, I won't be staying with her, that's for damned sure. She was the first and only, Chris. Thought that meant something to her too. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or something, I don't know. All I'm left wondering is if this was the first time, or if she'd done it before and I've just never noticed." I finished the beer and shook my head again. "I honestly never thought she'd ever be capable of tearing my heart out, Chris. Sixteen! We were sixteen when we first started dating. Fuck, I knew within a couple of weeks I loved her to bits, and life just got better and better every year. What I've learned is that it was all a delusion."

"Want to stay here tonight, mate?"

"Yeah, please. But I don't want to impose."

"Cathy won't mind, mate. Not once you tell her what happened."

Once I told Cathy what happened, she insisted I could stay as long as I wanted while she got on the phone to my wife to give her a piece of her mind, considering Chris and I had been mates since we were in primary school, as had Cathy and Hayley. Hearing the former absolutely let rip was something. I'd never seen nor heard her so angry.

Hayley showed up at the door later that night. Chris wasn't in the mood to speak to her, but it gave Cathy ample opportunity to give her forthright opinion. It's why Chris loved her.

"Why don't you go slut it up somewhere else?" Cathy shouted at her.

"It didn't mean anything. It was just..."

"Sex? Then why, Hayley? Why throw away nearly ten years together, a marriage, a home, a future family. Why? For some different dick?" There was silence and Cathy laughed. It wasn't a pleasant sound. "That's it, isn't it? You just wanted some different dick. Holy shit, you are fucking stupid. That man inside has been loyal from the day you started dating. I've never seen his eyes wander, his eyes only ever for you. And you've now just ruined it all for some different dick? Go home, Hayley. Just go home."

"I want to see my husband," she retorted, though I heard the sob in her throat.

"I don't think you have one any longer, Hayley. He's inside nursing a broken heart. I would suggest you fuck off and think about what you did, but that isn't going to solve this issue. Just leave him alone. You've done enough as it is."

I heard the door close. I did check my phone to see numerous missed calls and messages. I didn't have the heart to open anything so just ignored it. Cathy reappeared after venturing into the kitchen, returning with another beer for myself and her husband. "Well, she looked like shit, at least," she said.

"You should talk to my dad tomorrow," Chris said, "He'll certainly help sort this all out for you. I'm figuring you won't go back to her?"

"My vows meant something, mate. No, that's it. I'll never be able to trust her again. All I'm now wondering is if it's the first time. I'd rather not know. Just walking in on her like that was bad enough."

"Guess it's too early to ask what you're going to do?" Chris wondered.

"I'll think of something."

"No kids here and we have a spare room. Don't get too drunk, get some sleep, and you can figure out what to do next in the morning."

I enjoyed a hot shower before heading to bed, waking up in the morning unsure of where I was until Cathy knocked on the door, letting me know breakfast was on its way in the kitchen. I called up my boss and let him know the truth. He'd been supportive since the day I'd started, and insisted I had plenty of time stored up to take off, so to take all the time I needed to get my life in order.

Next was talking to my parents and sister. As it only happened the day before, I didn't have any plans, but while my dad was sympathetic, I was left thinking this was my own problem though he'd support where he could. My sister was immediately upset that her big brother had been left heartbroken, asking where I was. Letting her know, she said she'd pop around that evening after work. Then I spoke to my mother. I found that the hardest one. She might now be a few hours north, but I'd always been closer to her than my father. No real reason, to be honest. It was just how it was.

I was surprised she insisted, as she always did, that there was more than one spare room in her house that could be filled by her children should they ever have trouble. I knew that already, but it was nice to hear the offer again.

After breakfast, I had no real idea what to do with myself as Chris and Cathy both disappeared out to work. Chris then sent me a message, letting me know he'd organised a meeting with his father for that afternoon. At least that got me out of the house. I ignored the texts from... her. She kept trying to call nearly every half an hour. I simply didn't want to hear her voice, her excuses, or even her justifications. I'd been an attentive, loving husband. Our sex life had been healthy. I worked hard to provide for her, for us, but never left her feeling neglected.

I figured I'd just never understand why.

I knew Chris's father, Tony, didn't always deal with divorces, but I knew he'd take it on simply because I was a friend of the family. Sitting me down, he obviously asked plenty of personal, difficult questions about my relationship. He asked if I was serious about a divorce. Though I was adamant, he told me to take a few days to cool off, let the rawness at least somewhat fade away. He added that I'd have to separate for twelve months before it could proceed, which pissed me off. I'd rather just get it over and done with, but he said he'd get the paperwork ready and served once the time was right.

What I did need was to collect my things. I waited until Chris arrived home, then called my father and explained the situation. He turned up within an hour, and we took my ute to my apartment. I handed Chris my keys to open the door, following in behind him and then my father. She was home, of course. I figured she would have been waiting to try and talk to me.

"Back off, Hayley," Chris warned, "He's grabbing his things and leaving."

She tried to get close, Chris and my father using their broad frames to keep her away as I walked towards the spare room where I kept all my things. "Let me speak to my husband!" she cried.

"He doesn't want to talk to you, Hayley. Why can't you understand what you've done?" my father asked, "Ten years of love and loyalty, and you've just thrown it back in his face. What about all those dreams you apparently shared? Raising a family together? Growing old together? And you threw that away for some strange dick. Quite frankly, I'm ashamed, Chris here is ashamed, and I hope your parents hear of what you've done and support my son rather than yourself."

I packed a large bag of my clothes, grabbing the important paperwork I was going to need. I wanted nothing else from that place. No further reminders. I did not intend on returning. I walked out and met her eyes. I hated seeing my wife cry, at least I had hated it. Her smile had lit up every room she'd entered, and I'd tried to put a smile on her damned face every single day. But I just hardened my heart, remembering what I saw, the fact she'd been with another man.

"I spoke to a lawyer today, Hayley. I will be initiating divorce proceedings as soon as I am legally allowed. Seeing you here now, you're not feeling guilty, you're just ashamed I caught you. I have no idea if you've fucked other guys, don't know, and I no longer care. But I took my vows seriously, so I can leave this marriage with head held high."

"Please, we can talk about this. Just you and me. I'm sorry."

"Don't want to hear it, Hayley. You cheated, end of discussion. The trust is irrevocably broken. So you're free to do whatever you want now. Go fuck all the guys you want. It's no longer my concern. Dad, Chris, I'll see you downstairs."

Dumping my things in the back of my ute, I got behind the wheel and beeped the horn, my best friend and then father following me down, joining me in the cab. Hayley followed them down, hitting the window next to me, but I ignored her. Put the car in first and pulled away.

I didn't look back.

I spoke to Tony later that evening, letting him know that, upon seeing her, my mind was made up. I wanted a divorce. I knew I'd have to wait, but I was now going to make sure there was absolutely no reason one couldn't be granted. No surprise he offered to take on the case as cheaply as possible, suggesting he owed it for being a good friend to his son for decades. I thanked him but assured I would definitely pay at least a little something.

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,318 Followers