Flora & Fauna Pt. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I tried to have Quince do it but she just kept braiding them," I explain as I keep my arms pinned to my sides to hold the dress on.

"Sure." Claudius pauses halfway through buttoning his shirt and begins lacing the ribbon, then pulling them tight. "We have to kiss at midnight, by the way."

"Yuck." I stick my tongue out in disgust.

"I'm not happy about it either. But I've been laying the groundwork for the idea that you don't like public displays of affection. So I think we can get away with a peck on the lips and no one will think anything of it."

"Fine. Just don't smoke any cigars." I turn to face him after I feel him finish tying the ribbon at the top of the corseted bodice.

"Everyone smokes a cigar on New Years."

"If everyone jumped off a bridge on New Years, would you do that too?"

"How deep is the water?"

I roll my eyes and take the tin of mints from his desk. "Might as well keep these with me then."

He takes the tin from my hand and slides them into his pocket. "How about a trade? You play nice at the party and I won't smoke until after midnight."

"Deal."

His hand takes mine, raising and lowering them in one sturdy shake. "Nice doing business with you."

.

The banquet hall is decked in so much white it looks positively bridal. The sight of it, the feel of the need to perform, turns my stomach for a moment when we first enter. Claudius clearly feels something in my movements. Based on the way he pauses and looks down at me. The way he only continues when I meet his eyes and nod assuredly.

Among the alabaster pillars, white draperies, and crystal chandeliers, the deep colors of the assembled guests' attire stands out. Opposite the entrance doors, across the wide dance floor that is flanked with long tables covered in canapés and filled champagne flutes, is a wide open balcony space. It must be freezing in here at any other time. But the dancing, mingling crowd has created so much warmth in the hall that it could be mistaken for spring.

Claudius' friends have little interest in getting to know me. Though that works fine for my needs. Now that the holidays will be done, I'll get to spend greater lengths of time in Prophia. Trying again to sort out my real life. I keep an arm looped through his and let him answer for me most of the night. Edward is more curt with me than in previous interactions. Apparently, I'm not forgiven yet for being the one to snap at last night's dinner.

By the time midnight is creeping close, the champagne has done more to blur my vision than it has to allay my brooding. I stay glued to Claudius' arm as we exit to the balcony with the other party goers. Cheerful voices countdown all around us. I mouth the numbers but am not keeping close enough track to call them out.

The winter air and encroaching loneliness make me shiver. I should be with Andrius. With the family he's been trying so hard to fold me into. As fireworks paint the inky sky in bursts of color, Claudius' hand pinches my chin and turns my face up toward his. True to his word, it's a barely held peck on the lips.

"Gross." I remark while the roar of the crowd and the display are still loud enough to hide the words.

"Ditto."

.

"Where are you going?" Claudius asks as I unloop my arm from his.

Our carriage is already being brought around the curved stone path outside the banquet hall. Now that the festivities are over. A few spots down, Edward is helping Dottie fold her voluminous dress into their own carriage and closing the door. I'm still confused about what is happening in my real life. But maybe I can make my fake one a little easier.

"I just need a couple of minutes. I'll be right back."

Claudius releases his remaining grasp on my hand. There's a puzzled expression on his face as I turn away to rush toward his father.

"Mister Holt," I say as I reach the carriage just before he steps in.

The patriarch looks like an older clone of his son. The intensity of his presence is the same too. Or, was the same, before it dwindled as I learned more about Claudius. He raises an eyebrow that is black but for a few stray silver hairs.

"Yes?" He gently shuts the door he had been about to enter and waits.

"I don't know a great way to say this so I'll just say it the way it sounds in my head. I know that I probably wasn't your first pick for your son-" I raise my voice slightly to cut him off when his lips part, "and that's okay! It is. I understand that-"

"Are you happy with him?"

My eyes widen in genuine shock. I hadn't considered the possibility that happiness meant much here. To them. I pull a pleasant memory to the forefront of my mind. Not that it includes Claudius. But it helps me to smile and nod at his father. "I am. He's not who I expected him to be. In the best ways. And I just want you to know that I appreciate you and Dottie giving me a chance. It means a lot to me how kind and welcoming you've been."

His hand envelopes my shoulder before he smiles down at me. "You're not what I expected either. In the best ways. I, um, think you're holding up traffic."

Looking around us, I realize carriages are having to break the line-up to get around the two that are waiting on me. With a wave goodbye, I run back to Claudius and let him hoist me into the velvet interior.

"What were you doing over there?"

"Playing nice."

.