For Every Rule There's An Exception

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What was also a bit unusual was that Denise sat in on all the meetings. Denise had a master's degree in industrial psychology but never practiced. Instead, she decided to raise their three children who were now, twelve, ten and eight. Denise was Sam's wife and was very concerned about the business since it was also her future. She never got involved in the day-to-day operations, but I guess they discussed a lot at home.

At the end of the day, Sam and Denise met with each department head. I don't know what he said to Alex but this is what he and Denise shared with me.

"Pete was really happy with the way you run the department. He likes the way you approach problems and your insistence on documenting everything. He loves the way you tell them if they make a mistake that means they are doing something. The important thing is, not to repeat mistakes."

I smiled at that.

"What Pete really was impressed with was how much control and independence you give Sandra. She has only been working for the company about 15 months, and he sees how you value your subordinate's contribution and how you try to get them to grow more in their field. He gave you an A+."

I held my breath, but it was Denise who spoke.

"Eric, you have been with us around five years. You are like a son to us. We've seen you grow professionally and how respected you are by your colleagues. When Sandra spoke about you, she had this glow in her eyes. She said, "With all due respect, Mr. Murray, I was lucky to be hired by you but I was even luckier, to have Eric as a boss. What a kind and smart person he is. What a wonderful teacher. He trusts me. I never expected to grow so much in my first year on the job, and it's all due to Eric."

Denise then added, "And I said to her 'and he's also a good-looking man'.

"At that time, she stopped and looked at me. Most of the time she was looking at my husband and she said, 'yes he is, I can't believe someone hasn't tied him down yet'.

"So I said, maybe you can, I know he's very fond of your intellect and professionalism.

"She said, 'Well that is the key word, professionalism, he wouldn't and I don't think I could. It could get me fired'.

"I continued and said, 'You are correct; even if you had Sam's blessing it could get very messy. Eric is your boss; if it doesn't work out at least one of you, and probably both of you, may be let go and that will be even with my husband's blessing for allowing you to pursue your personal needs.

"She stopped and looked at me, 'Eric she is no dummy,' she said, 'I'm getting the vibe that Eric spoke to you about me, not for professional purposes'.

"I finally ended the uncomfortable conversation by saying, 'We are all adults here. Sam is aware that Eric is interested in trying to see if he can have a relationship with you. From what you have said about Eric, I see that you too are in favor but extremely hesitant. Sam and I don't want to get in the way of your happiness. This will be the last we will discuss this. Whatever happens personally between you, is between the two of you. We believe that you are both professional enough to do your best and keep the company out of your personal lives. It's an investment that we are making in the two of you. I will relay my opinion to Eric and I leave it to the two of you to work it out'."

"Denise, Sam you guys are like second parents to me. She will probably tire of me after the second date, if I can get that far and then quit and sue you for harassment," I said with tears in my eyes.

Sam finally said something

"She did say at the end, 'I am willing to sign a paper forgoing my option to sue for harassment if Eric and I have a relationship or even an attempted one.' My dad will probably be upset with me but if we ever manage to have a relationship, he'll meet Eric and know that it was worth it. Please have your attorney draw something up'.

"Eric, I don't know what will happen, but this girl thinks of everything."

I got up and hugged Denise and then shook Sam's hand.

"Thanks, guys. I think I better call her tonight." I left. I was home in 30 minutes and I called Sandy's house. Sandy was living at home with her dad and younger brother. It was the first of many phones calls that I made to that house.

"Hello, may I speak to Sandra please."

It was her brother that answered

"Sure, who is calling?"

"Please tell her that it is Eric Shaw."

And then I heard him yell, "Sandy, your boss in on the phone."

And then I heard her answer, "I'll take it in my room."

"Hello."

"Hi Sandy."

"Boy you don't waste any time."

"I just wanted to speak to you before work tomorrow. Did you discuss this with your dad?"

"He wouldn't approve."

"I think you should. I think you should review your conversation with Sam and Denise with him. If he brings up the harassment issue, then tell him it is being discussed. If he doesn't, I don't think you should volunteer. I'd like to take you out tomorrow night, if you are available, so we can keep our personal lives out of the office. You can let me know tomorrow what your intentions are. If you think this is a major mistake and you aren't interested in pursuing this, or your dad convinces you not to, I will do my best to respect your wishes. I certainly have the utmost respect for you after hearing from Denise and Sam."

"Eric, was it your idea to have Sam and Denise speak with me first?"

"No, it was their idea. I only spoke to Sam alone, he spoke to Denise and then they both spoke to me."

"Was this whole evaluation a cover for getting them to talk to me?"

"I don't know, I assume they got value out of that from all departments, maybe. Even I'm not privy to Sam's innermost thoughts."

"Okay, Eric, I will talk to my dad. I will let you know tomorrow. Goodnight".

"Goodnight Sandy".

*****

I usually went in to the office between 8:45 and 9:00. Sandy and Pete also got in at around that time. The following morning, I got in at 8:15 and Sandy was already there. We both grabbed our coffee and returned to our desks. Pete hadn't arrived yet, so it gave us a few minutes.

"What time will you pick me up?" she asked.

"I guess the answer is, yes." I said with a great wide smile.

"Did you speak to your dad?"

"Yes, he wasn't happy. He did mention the harassment issue. He asked if I felt I was being coerced into seeing you.

"I told him that you were as professional as can be, an extreme gentlemen and gave me every option out, but I wanted to explore a potential relationship. I explained that I was young and going into this with my eyes wide open. I also briefly filled him in on my conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Murray.

"He was really impressed with them and their concern for our personal welfare before worrying about any financial implications it may have on them, and there are endless possibilities in that realm."

"Great, I look forward to meeting your dad, he sounds like a really great guy."

"Slow down cowboy, let's see how it goes tonight and then we'll figure out where we are. Do you have my address?"

I smiled. "The advantages of being a boss is that I have that information. Be ready by 8:00 PM. Dress casually and this is the last of this discussion, let's get to work."

She smiled at me. I melted. Sandy went to look at her computer screen, I assumed it was to organize her day, and not five minutes later Pete arrived and that was the end of the discussion.

I actually had a productive day. I was really focused on work. Sandy told me later that evening that she had a hard time in the morning but once she got busy, everything was fine. The date was really nice. We had fun. It was amazing that we weren't boss and subordinate for the first time. We went to a club and then she asked if I wanted to dance a little. I smirked and we danced. It was nice holding her. I think I was really falling for her quickly. Even though it was just a first date, I had known her for over a year. When I took her home, I wasn't sure if I should kiss her goodnight. In general, I wouldn't do that on a first date, but we knew each other well. I tried a different approach.

"Sandy, I had a really nice time tonight and would like to see you again. You don't have to answer me now. You can let me know tomorrow."

"Eric, I don't need tomorrow, I'd love it."

I smiled.

"How about Saturday night?"

"Wow, that's just two days away, sure, what time?"

"I can come earlier, how about if I pick you up for dinner at 6:00?"

"Perfect."

She stood there smiling at me, I guess she was expecting it, so I leaned in, gave her a quick peck on the lips and said, "Goodnight, see you tomorrow and then again Saturday."

"Good night Eric."

*****

I'm not going to recount the entire courting process. We went out, usually once a week mid-week, like Tuesday or Wednesday and every evening over the weekend. We were fooling around within a week and slept together within two weeks. Sandy met the guys and their wives after three weeks, and then she invited me to her house for a Saturday morning brunch to meet her dad and brothers, sister-in-law and niece. The following weekend, we drove to Colorado Springs to meet my sister and family and then my parents decided to come visit after about eight weeks of dating.

Around that time, Sam called me into his office.

I thought it was a business-related issue, but it wasn't.

"Eric, I don't mean to pry in your personal life, but whatever happened with you and Sandra?"

I was grinning from ear to ear.

"We been seeing each other for the past two months; I think I am in love."

"Wow, are you two a pair of poker players. Denise asked me what happened, and I said I didn't know. She asked me to pay attention and I did. I couldn't tell. You act as if you did prior to all of this. I still see how she looks up to you as her mentor and boss and has your full respect. Is that how it is when out of the office?"

"On the contrary, it's the opposite. I am like jelly around her. Even though I am a few years older, She's definitely the more dominant one in our relationship. If I thought her IQ was high, her EQ is even higher."

"Well, I'm really happy for you guys; I will let Denise know."

"Thanks."

After four months of dating, I was thinking of the next step. Sandy was still living at home; I was still renting. I wasn't sure if I should ask her to move in with me or just let her make an honest man out of me. So, I did what any inexperienced guy would do, I asked her.

"Sandy, do you think it would be okay if you moved in with me or should we just get married already?"

"Eric, if that's your version of a proposal, that was the lamest proposal I ever heard."

"I... uh... I uh... wasn't proposing yet, I was asking what the next steps should be?"

"You're the guy, but if you want to propose to me, I suggest that you speak to my dad first. We are pretty old fashioned in my family."

"But if I do and he is cool with it, that should be the next step?"

"Eric, I'm not moving in with you; if you'd like to marry me, talk to my dad."

"And then it's a definite yes?"

"We'll see, but you better be more creative than this."

*****

I thought about buying a home, before I asked her to marry me, but that was getting ahead of myself. A few days later I planned on coming into work a bit late. I called Sandy's home at 9:00. Her brother would be in school, so hopefully her dad was home alone.

"Hello."

"Mr. Elkins?"

"Yes, who is this?".

"It's Eric Shaw, from Sandra's work and her friend."

"Is everything okay? Sandra left a while ago for work?"

"I assume so, I haven't left yet for work, I was wondering if I can meet you for lunch one day this week?"

"Why don't you come by Saturday, Sandra will also be here."

"Mr. Elkins, I don't want to come by when Sandra is home. I'd like to speak to you alone."

"Is this business related?"

"No sir, it's personal, very personal."

"Ah, I see, well that's very nice Eric, I look forward to our discussion. How about Thursday, I'm not babysitting on Thursday, I can whip up something here."

"Thank you so much Mr. Elkins, I, too, look forward to our discussion, see you then."

"Eric, please call me Norm."

*****

Nine days later we were all gathered at Bobby and a very pregnant Juanita's place. Jerry and Laura arranged for baby sitters for their kids. We were playing a game which we made up, which was a version of Pictionary. In our version, there was only one person that could guess the phrase or movie, etc. It was Sandy's turn to guess and I used my friends to help me give her clues. Jerry led it off. He was writing something that started with "I hereby bequeath..." and Sandy jumped in and said "Last Will and Testament, Will." Jerry nodded. Bobby had the easy part but he made it challenging. He drew a picture of a tree. Sandy of coursed guessed "Tree," which was incorrect. He then added to his tree lots of leaves and Sandy guessed leaves. Again incorrect. He then added little red berries on the branches. He somehow knew that Sandy would guess a Yew, which was correct. Then it was Mac's turn and he draw a bunch of lambs. Sandy guessed goats. Mac shook his head but made her keep on guessing. She then came up with lambs. Mac smiled and then drew a picture of a little girl. Sandy said, "Mary?". So far, she had "Will", "Yew", "Mary" and then she turned to me and I was down on one knee with a ring box opened.

She started to cry and then she realized: 'Will You Marry me". She hugged me. All the wives were crying and hugging Sandy. My friends were all giving me the high fives, when Laura said, "Sandy, you didn't answer Eric."

I looked at her.

"This was a much better proposal than your last feeble attempt, but did you speak to my dad first? You know those were the requirements." She was taking a page from work.

"Why don't you call him?"

Sandy called her dad and as the tears were coming out and she was sniffling, I heard her say

"Yes, daddy...

"I know, he's a great guy ...

"I know you really like him ...

"Love you, daddy. Yes, you can let my brothers know; we'll come by later, bye."

She hung up, turned to me and gave me the biggest kiss and said, "YES."

We called my parents, said goodnight to our friends and went to her dad's house.

*****

The next day, Sunday, I figured we owed an update to Sam and Denise. I called Sam at home and asked if he was available, I wanted to come by for a quick second. Sam asked me to come by before dinner, around 4:00. I didn't ask If Denise would be around but I was hoping she would. I also didn't mention that Sandra was coming by.

We arrived at their home a bit after 4:00 and knocked on their front door. Denise answered. She saw the two of us and remembered Sandy from the one time they met.

"Sandra, is that correct?"

"Yes, hi, Mrs. Murray, may we come in?"

"Please call me Denise, and of course; is everything okay?"

"Everything is better than okay." Sandy showed Denise her ring finger.

"Congratulations, that's wonderful." She called her husband. "Sam, I think you need to come here."

Sam came down, shook my hand and then Sandy's. He was so proud. He ran to get a bottle of champagne and Denise insisted that we stay for dinner. Over dinner, Sam said, that he wanted to make an engagement party for us and invite the entire company and their spouses. This was a new side of Sam that I was seeing. He was always all business, but now he was like a gushing father.

The next day in the office he announced to the entire company our engagement and told everyone about the party. Everyone was congratulating us. Even George. The one who was most shocked was Pete: how sitting in the same office with us, he never picked up on anything.

The party was a few weeks later and it was there that I met George's wife for the first time. She was this very elegant, beautiful and classy woman. I couldn't see them together at all. I also noticed that when George was around her he was like her servant, waiting on her every need. I guess that sort of explained, but clearly didn't justify his behavior when he was on the road.

*****

Had my story ended here with 'they all lived happily ever after' we wouldn't be here today. Unfortunately, we didn't and I had to deal with what happened later.

Sandy and I were married six months later. We were so in love. We bought our first home, a small three-bedroom house. With our two salaries plus a nice gift from Norm, we were able to make a down payment and carry a mortgage. Even though we were married, we never showed any physical affection in the office. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and a week later it was back to work with great tans.

It was at this time when I made my first cost analysis meeting with Sam.

"Sam, thanks for your time today."

"Eric, what is this? I am looking at a report that's showing four columns, titled S, A, G & T. I see the row headings are Total Sales, Number of Clients, Average, Client needs, Costs, Average period to go live, and then there are numbers. The only one that I recognize immediately is the 9,000,000 under T in the sales row, which was our revenues for 1988."

"Sam, S is for Sam, A is for Alex, G is for George and T is for Total.

"As you can see your sales for last year were 1,500,000 dollars. Alex was 2,500,000 and George was 5,000,000.

"Your average sale was 375,000, Alex was 250,000 and George was 125,000. You had four new or repeating clients, Alex has ten and George had forty.

"The fifty-four clients were handled by Sandra with 24, Pete with 18 and I had the remaining 12.

"The total costs for go live and number of days is there. On your business it was 400,000, Alex it was 1,300,00 and George was 3,500,000. So, the gross profit for all sales for your sales was 1,100,000, for Alex was 1,200,000 and for George was 1,500,000, which may seem like it's worth it, but if your factor in percentage of profit, our salaries as a direct cost and take into consideration that I make more than Sandra and she makes more than Pete, I shouldn't handle any of George's accounts and you should also factor in the fixed costs to the business, for a proper costing. I don't have all those figures."

"Wow, this is very concerning. Did you discuss this with Alex?"

"No, I didn't think it would be my place."

"So, you went over his head to me first?"

"I wasn't sure how to handle it. I hope Alex won't be upset with me."

"Why did you do this?"

"I've been with George and Alex on enough trade shows to see and speak to them and see how they work. I have gathered that their relationship is somewhat strained since George brings in much more business than Alex. I briefly discussed this with George, who really couldn't care less about our profitability, all he cares about is his commissions."

"Hmm, I see. I think I will share this with Steve, our controller. I will also mention something to Alex. I will tell him since you are aware of the direct costs of going live and your own salaries, I asked you to do this. He'll want to see the results, so I will tell him that it's a bit premature and that I am waiting for Steve to complete the entire picture. I will let Alex know that he shouldn't say anything to George at this time."

That was the last I heard of anything for about four months. Sam did ask me to keep on managing each deal as it came in. As 1989 was coming to an end, I figured I would sit with Sam again. I did notice that the numbers weren't looking so great.

I met with Steve and Sam, and Steve presented a much more complete picture. It took a factor of our fixed costs per client and it showed that in 1988, while we had $9,000,000 in revenues, our net profit was a bit over $250,000 and that included everyone's salary, including Sam's. Sam didn't get commission on his sales. He actually broke it down to net profit per client and included sales commissions. All of Sam's clients were profitable, some very. All of Alex's clients were profitable, some not so much. Some of George's clients were direct losses, whilst other were somewhat profitable.