Forever

Story Info
Young love gets sidetracked by fame and glory.
15.5k words
4.64
40.2k
83
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bh76
Bh76
2,782 Followers

John walked slowly through the hallway at school. He was nervous and almost chickened out when he reached Kelsey's locker.

"Um, Kelsey?" He said.

"Hi John, what's up?"

With wet palms, sweaty back, and a lack of oxygen from holding his breath he asked, "Would you go to the prom with me?"

She smiled and said, "It's about time. I thought I was going to have to ask you, you took so long."

"Uh, sorry. I was afraid you'd say no."

She was surprised because she had been giving him hints since the beginning of the year that she liked him. They were in the Jazz band together and had started spending a lot of time together.

"That's silly, John. I like you and thought I made it clear."

"Yeah, well I'm a little dense I guess. See you at Jazz."

"Bye. Oh and John, I'm wearing a blue dress?"

"You have it already?"

"Yeah. I told you I was about to ask you. One way or another we were going," she said closing her locker.

**********

"Well?" John's mom asked when he walked in the door.

"She said yes."

"Told you. You just need to have some courage sometimes," she said.

"Yeah, I guess. Mom, she told me her dress was blue. Am I supposed to color coordinate with her or something?"

"You could. But that's more for the flower corsage you'll be giving her to wear."

"Oh, okay."

"Don't worry, baby. I'll get it for you."

"Thanks, Mom. I need to go play."

"Do your homework first," she yelled at his back as he ran up the stairs.

John shut his door and picked up his Candy Apple Red Stratocaster. He turned on his amp and put on his headphones.

His guitar was almost an extension of his body, he played so much. He started playing when he was ten years old on his dad's old Taylor acoustic and showed natural ability very early.

He changed music teachers several times over the years as he improved. He was more technically proficient than some of them by the time he turned sixteen, but he learned different styles and techniques from them. He originally wanted to learn rock, but later began to like country more. Some of the techniques were more difficult and more satisfying to learn and perfect.

By the time he was sixteen, he could chicken pick as well as any guitarist he listened to. When he was seventeen, he and some friends started a rock cover band and after a while began to play at parties. John caught the bug and he had aspirations to make music his career.

**********

John walked into his grandparent's home and shouted out, "Hey Papa, Nana, you here?"

John was there to borrow his grandparent's car. He had a pickup truck that was on the older side and he didn't want to embarrass Kelsey by taking her to prom in it.

He and his grandfather had a very close relationship. John's dad always told him that they have the same warped sense of humor and they were always playing jokes on each other.

"In the back Johnny," Papa yelled out.

"Well look at you," Nana said. "You look so handsome, Johnny."

"Thanks, Nana."

"Johnny, I'm trusting you now. Don't crash and no drinking and driving," Papa said handing him the keys to his Cadillac.

"Of course not, Papa. We're just doing the dance and then taking a walk by the lake. We won't be drinking."

"Alright. You have a good time now."

"Thanks."

John opened the car and found a bag on the passenger seat. He laughed when he saw that his grandfather left him a box of condoms.

He texted him: "I'll make sure and put a blanket on the back seat, Papa."

John was actually scared stiff about whether Kelsey would have sex with him or not. Many of his friends were talking about prom night being the night girls like to lose their virginity. John resolved himself to not pressure Kelsey, but had no idea what her intentions were. It was their first date although they knew each other well from Jazz Band.

***********

John rang the doorbell and was greeted by an older, but just as hot, version of Kelsey.

"Hi, John," she said. "I'm Kelsey's mom Trisha."

"Hello Ma'am."

"She'll be down in a sec. Come into the back room. I want to get some pictures before you go."

"Sure. My mom asked if you could send the pictures to her?"

"Of course. Give me her email and I'll send them tonight."

As they were talking, John saw Kelsey walk in the room and his breath was taken away. The eighteen-year-old beauty wore a body-hugging Midnight Blue dress that went down to her ankles. It had a slit up to the middle of her left thigh and was fairly low cut, showing off her ample cleavage.

"You look amazing, Kelsey," he said.

"You clean up pretty good yourself there, Magic Hands."

"Magic Hands?" Her mother asked with a fiery look of disapproval.

"That's what we call him in Jazz Band, Mom. You've seen him play."

"Oh, well okay. Just make sure those magic hands stay on your guitar's body, hmm."

John started to panic and reassured her, "Of course, Ma'am."

"Oh, Mother. Can we just take the pictures? I don't want to be late," Kelsey complained.

When the pictures were all taken, John opened the car door for Kelsey and didn't notice that he forgot to put the condoms in the glove box. She picked up the bag and said, "What's this?"

He snatched it and said, "My grandfather's idea of a joke. Sorry."

"Mmm-hmm. Maybe someone is a little presumptuous about how the night is going to end up?" She said with a smile.

Completely uncomfortable, John said, "No, I swear, I didn't even think about that."

"Why? Don't you like me?" She teased.

"Um, of course, I do. It's just..."

"Relax Magic. I'm just messing with you. I don't screw on the first date; even if it's prom."

**********

After the dance, John took her to Lake Michigan to walk the shoreline. It was a warm, clear May night and the moonlight shone on the water making a lovely scene.

She held his hand as they walked and talked about their future.

"Where are you going to college John?"

"Berklee in Boston. it's a music school. I really want to see if I can make it in music."

"You're an amazing guitar player, John. I'm sure you'll be a huge star someday."

"Oh, I don't care about being a star. I'd like to be a session guitar player or even play in a backing band. I'm not a frontman. Heck, I can't sing anyway."

"Your talent is sure to get you there. Maybe you could even write a hit song."

"Maybe. The songs I've written aren't very good though. I think I'll just stick to playing the guitar," he said.

"What about you? What's your plan?"

"Local college. I'd like to be a nurse."

"Nice, you'll be a great nurse. You're really patient."

"I hope so. My mom's a nurse and she really loves what she's doing."

She stopped and took his other hand as they turned towards each other. She said, "John, I like you but we're going separate ways soon. I'd like to see more of you over the summer though."

"Me too, Kelsey. I'd like to keep seeing you. We can date for the summer and then figure it out from there, I guess."

"That's settled then. It's too bad you were too chicken to ask me out all year."

"Yeah, I'm too shy for my own good I guess. It's getting chilly, do you want to head home?" He asked as he put his jacket over her shoulders.

"Sure."

She held his hand while he drove her home and they made plans for a date the following week.

As they pulled into her driveway, he saw her mom peek out the window.

"Looks like your mom waited up for you."

"Figures. She was all worried that I would put out for you tonight. All you're getting is a kiss at the door, but it better be a good one. I plan on staying a virgin until I'm in love."

They stood at the door and he did kiss her. He didn't have much experience kissing, but she didn't seem to notice as they made out for several minutes. Her mother put an end to it by turning the porch light on and off several times.

"I had a great time, John. Thank you."

"Me too. I'll call you tomorrow."

**********

"Hello," John croaked into the phone the next morning.

"John, dude I got us a gig," Mike said. Mike Ferris was the singer of John's band.

"What? Where? When?"

"Friday, some bar out in Dekalb."

"No shit? That's great. How'd you get it?"

"My cousin Dave's band had to back out and he recommended us. We're even getting paid."

"Do they know we're only 18? Will they let us in?"

"Yeah. It's all set. We just can't drink."

"Dude, we need to get practicing now."

"Yeah, Skip and Chuck are on their way over. Get your butt out of bed."

"On my way."

He got up and took a shower. He was as excited as he'd ever been. They had played plenty of parties, but never a gig in a bar at that point and it was a nice step up. He thanked God for Dave's cousin because they would have likely never gotten a paying gig on their own, being barely 18 years old.

***********

"Hey Jerk, you were supposed to call me yesterday," Kelsey said when she saw John at school on Monday.

"Sorry, I was with my band all day. We got a bar gig for Friday."

"Really? That's great. Where?"

"Dekalb. Near the college I guess."

"Wow that's far. Can I come?"

"Yeah, of course. My whole family is coming. You can hang out with them while I'm playing."

"Sounds good. You could've sent me a quick text or something yesterday."

"Won't happen again I promise."

***********

Later that day, John's cell rang and it was Kelsey calling.

"John, my mom won't let me go to your show. She doesn't want me in a bar."

"Did you tell her my parents are going?"

"She didn't believe me."

"Hang on. I'll call you back."

John hung up and yelled, "Dad!"

"Easy man. I'm right here." He said.

"Dad will you talk to Kelsey's mom and tell her you're coming to my show and you'll watch over Kelsey? She won't let her go."

"John, it's a bar. That's her decision to make not ours."

"No, Dad. She doesn't believe you're going."

"Oh, well I guess I can let her know that's true. I'm not going to twist her arm though, kid."

"I appreciate it, Dad."

John called Kelsey back and said, "Hey, is your mom there? My dad will talk to her."

"Oh great! Hang on, MOM!" She yelled into the phone.

John's dad laughed as he pulled the phone away from his ear.

"Mom, John's dad is on the phone for you."

"Hello," Trisha said.

"Hi, I'm Stan, John's dad. I guess the kids want me to tell you that I'm really going to his gig on Friday."

"Yeah? It's very far. You're really going?"

"Yes. My wife is too. Why don't you come with us? We can all go together."

"Oh, well I guess that would be okay. Are you sure? I don't want to impose."

"Absolutely. It'll be fun, John's really good."

John smiled at the compliment and the success of the call.

"Alright then. I'll see you Friday." She said and handed the phone to Kelsey.

"I'm so excited for you, Magic. You guys are gonna be amazing."

"Thanks. I'm pretty pumped too. I need to get going. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

**********

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Russian Roulette!" The owner of the bar said as he introduced the band.

Skip hit the intro cymbal and drum beats for their opening song "Rick and Roll" and when John started the guitar riff, the crowd cheered enthusiastically.

Mike screamed into the mic, "It's been a long time since I rock and rolled..." He looked at John, who was in full-on rock star mode, and smiled before he sang, "It's been a long time since I did The Stroll..."

John was in his element. He spent hours practicing how he stood and how he moved, choreographing his stage demeanor. He never thought Mike was a good enough singer to pull off some of the songs they did, but there wasn't anyone else that he could find to sing, so he went with him. Mike was at the top of his game that night, though.

When the end of the guitar solo approached, John threw his head back, raised his right hand, and played the fast pull-off licks one-handed. It wasn't hard for him, but it looked and sounded great. The crowd went nuts for it.

Trisha shouted over the loud music to Kate, John's mom, "He's amazing. He so handsome up there."

Kate shouted back, "He's too skinny. He just can't gain weight, but he is a good looking boy. Just like his father was."

"Still am, thank you," Stan said pretending to be insulted.

John noticed the blonde girl recording them with her cell phone. Every once in a while, he played to the camera, hamming it up. He enjoyed every moment of playing on that stage.

Kelsey looked on and cheered as loud as anyone. There were about a hundred people crowded around the stage area, and she noticed three girls standing right in front of John. They never took their eyes off of him and she got jealous of the attention he was giving them back.

She thought about how gorgeous he was. He was tall and thin, with broad shoulders. His thin waist led straight down his long legs. She loved how his butt looked in the tight jeans he was wearing.

His brown hair was wavy and shoulder length and his blue eyes were surrounded by long eyelashes.

She couldn't believe that he was as shy as he was around school. Many girls tried to get to know him, but he showed no interest. He didn't care about dating. He cared about his music.

John switched guitars and used his 20-year-old Midnight Blue Jackson, that was tuned down a half step for the last song. Kelsey smiled at how close it was in color to her prom dress.

The last song they played was "You Really Got Me." John played the "Eruption" intro and the crowd loved it. The feedback from his last note from the intro solo rang out and then he hit the opening note to the song and held it for a moment before he hit the power chord twice, smashing into the riff.

When he played the last chord of the song he spun and dropped to his knees, raising his right hand into the air in triumph. They killed it.

The crowd was cheering as they cleared the stage for the last band. "Follow that!" John said to the next band's singer, who just shook his head, laughed, and fist-bumped him on his way to set up his microphone.

When their instruments were loaded up, John's parents along with Kelsey and her mom came over to hug him and tell him how great he did.

"You were really good up there," Trisha said while Kelsey hugged him.

"Thanks. I was really nervous," he said.

"Really, John?" Kate asked. "You looked like you were a rock star up there. You looked like you were born for the stage."

"Yep. I could hardly breathe. I calmed down after the first song, though. I can't wait to watch it. Mike's girlfriend was recording it for us."

"Was that the blonde who couldn't take her eyes off you?" Kelsey asked.

"I don't know about that, but she was in front of me with her sister and her sister's partner."

Kelsey slinked back, embarrassed that she was jealous of someone's girlfriend and her lesbian sister.

"Let's find a Denny's before we head home? My treat," Stan said and all agreed.

**********

When John and Kelsey walked into school the following Monday, he was greeted with pats on the back and many people telling him how good he was at the show.

"How do they know?" He asked Kelsey.

"No clue," she answered.

Mike ran up and shouted, "John! Dude did you see it?"

"Yeah, you sent it to me stupid."

"No, it's on YouTube. My sister posted it. We've got over 20k views."

"Holy shit!"

"Yeah. I got calls all weekend from people that want us to play graduation parties. We're gonna make a ton of money."

"Sweet. We really rocked, man."

"The whole school's buzzing over it. What a way to finish high school."

"Absolutely," John said.

***********

John and Kelsey dated for the last few months before he left for Boston. They kept it casual and didn't get serious because they knew he was leaving. He never got farther than feeling her up over clothes but understood why she was adamant about not going farther.

John was confused about his feelings for her. He was falling in love, but was afraid she didn't feel the same way.

They did all of the normal things that young couples do: holding hands, dates, and meeting each other's families, but the end of summer was drawing near.

She was at his house on the Saturday he had to leave. His truck was packed and he was ready for the long drive to Massachusetts.

After he said his goodbyes to his family, they left him alone to say goodbye to Kelsey.

"I really enjoyed our summer together, Kelsey."

"Me too, I wish you weren't going."

"Look, I know we weren't serious by choice, but I really like you a lot and I want to stay in touch, if that's ok?" John asked.

"I'd like that John. I'm not going to go out looking for guys and you know how I feel about my virginity."

"Yeah, to be honest, I like the idea of you still being my girlfriend. I don't anticipate finding anyone that would be better for me than you. You're perfect."

She kissed him hard, then cried into his shoulder. "John, It's settled. I'm still your girlfriend, and I'm very happy to be. I'll miss you so much."

They kissed for a while, then John drove away leaving Kelsey in tears.

*********

John and Kelsey talked a few times a week and texted one thing or another every day. They were both progressing through school and were happy until Thanksgiving came.

Kelsey wasn't happy that John wasn't coming home. "Why not?" She cried. "Don't you miss me?"

"Of course I do. I just have a lot of work to do. I can't miss a few days of studying."

"Fine. Stay." She hung up on him and cried.

John didn't understand. He thought, "Why was she so mad?" His mom wasn't even that upset. He made a last-minute decision and asked his dad to get him a plane ticket for home. His dad as happy to do it and John was on his way.

**********

John's first stop after going home to see his parents was Kelsey's house. He didn't tell her he was coming in order to surprise her. He was the one surprised.

It was 9 pm when he rang her doorbell. Trisha answered shocked. "John! Oh my God. She said you weren't coming home."

"Surprise! Is she home Ms. Frye?"

"No, she just went to IHOP with Jeremy. I'll tell her you stopped by."

John thanked her and left. "Who the hell is Jeremy?" He thought.

He pulled into the IHOP parking lot and saw them sitting by the window. He walked into the restaurant and stopped at the "Please wait to be seated" sign and watched her talking with Jeremy. He asked to be seated at the open booth next to Kelsey and the host agreed with a smile.

She was so caught up in her conversation that she didn't notice him sit down. He could see her though, and was staring at her until they made eye contact.

She screamed, "John!" so loudly that most people turned to see what was going on as she quickly got out of her booth and grabbed him in a hug.

"Oh my God! Why didn't you tell me you were coming home?"

"I wanted to surprise you. You were so mad, I figured I had to come home. Mom wanted me to come home anyway, so it worked out for everyone. Well, except dad. He had to pay extra for the last minute tickets."

"Why are you sitting here? Join us, we just ordered."

"Okay. Hi, you must be Jeremy," John said to the 10-year-old kid.

"Hi. We were just talking about you," Jeremy said.

"Good stuff I hope."

"Yeah, she showed me your YouTube video. You guys were good."

"Thanks."

"When do you go back?" She asked John.

"Saturday morning. I fly out at 9."

"Oh! John, this is my brother by the way."

"You never told me you had a brother. I'm kinda surprised."

"He's my dad's son with his replacement wife."

Jeremy laughed and said, "Mom hates when you call her that."

"Yeah? Good." She said.

Jeremy shook his head and John looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Daddy dumped my mom for a woman he worked with. I don't really hate her, but she did break up my parents. That was really hard to deal with as an 8-year-old. Jeremy's a good kid though. He's only my half brother but he's full annoying."

Bh76
Bh76
2,782 Followers