Fox, Satyr, Dragon Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Doesn't that just mean he knows where everything is? It's impressive considering how big the library is but it's not that cool."

Natalia stared at Sasha. Was this girl really the Headmaster's granddaughter? "You really don't know?"

"By the look on your face I'm missing something."

"Yes. You are." Natalia said as they sat down at a table by the window. "A Foxcastle librarian isn't just in charge of 'knowing where everything is'. They're in charge of protecting the library. That's their main job."

"The library is crammed to its ceiling with security spells, attack golems, illusory curtains, false labyrinths..."

"The librarian is there in case all that fails. The last line of defense." Natalia said, unable to keep the awe out of her voice. "Don't disregard the job just because it's titled 'librarian'. When it comes to Foxcastle, 'sentinel' would be a better pick. He's likely one of the strongest Dra we'll ever meet. Outside of our families."

"So if he's as cool and powerful like you say he is," Sasha said with a hint of bitter jealousy in her tone. She didn't like how Natalia sounded when she talked about Branigan just now. "He should have no problem getting past your wards."

"Mother Dra, give me strength..." Natalia pinched her nose. "So he got past them! What's the big deal?"

"You have them for a reason!" Sasha snapped. "What's the point in having them if some guy can just walk right on through?"

"Maybe I fucked up when I was casting them." Natalia said. "It's high level magic that we aren't taught! At least not the ones I used."

"You didn't fuck them up."

"How do you know that?"

"Because you're a really good Dra!" Sasha said. "That Branigan guy is the issue. I'm sure of it. He's up to something and I'm going to find out what."

Natalia took a deep breath and focused on her pizza. There wasn't much else she could do.

***

Jack blocked the swipe with the flat of her blade then kicked the doppel in the stomach. It stumbled back. Jack didn't relent, drawing a dagger from her belt and shoving it up into the doppel right behind its chin. After the blade punched through the roof of its mouth, it fell onto the ground. The illusion crumbled with its 'death' and Jack was left looking at a straw filled dummy. Her victory didn't last long as she felt the base of her skull tingle. She instinctively jerked to the right, dodging a spear thrust that had been aimed for her back. Jack twisted, switching her sword to her right hand as she did so she could slice the neck of the doppel that had attacked her. Her swipe missed but she maintained that momentum to twist her arm back around and forward to thrust into the doppel's stomach. It fell and turned into a lifeless dummy but Jack was focusing on the last remaining doppel who wielded no weapons but was wearing Artifacted chainmail, save for its head which was covered in a helmet. Also Artifacted. Attacking the armor directly would cause her weapon to get deflected entirely. Or destroy the mundane sword if the armor was Artifacted with barbs. She smiled at the challenge as she and the doppel circled each other. Coach Seymour Harmon was taking it easier on her if he had sent a docile doppel such as this, even if it was covered in armor. Had Seymour wanted to give her a true challenge, the doppel would be holding a weapon. At the least.

Jack opted for the straight forward approach. She danced around the doppel with a few feints and then shoved her sword into the doppel's eye. It died immediately and Jack was left holding up a straw dummy covered in heavy Artifacted metal. She angled her sword down and the dummy fell off and with a loud, metallic clatter to signal its descent to the floor.

"Well done, Sarkan!" Said Seymour from the other end of the room.

"Thanks!" Jack sheathed her sword and retrieved the dagger she had used. Once that was done, she made her way to the coach while being careful to not step on the other doppels she had killed. "What's wrong, Coach? Didn't feel like giving me a challenge?"

"Grab a drink of water. I'll get some more doppels ready for you." Seymour grinned. "Attack dopples with Artifacted armor."

"Honestly? Tempting." Jack said. "But if you're letting me off with just this I'd like to go work in the Forge."

"I took it easy on you so you could hand deliver a gift for me."

"Oh! Okay." Jack said. "Do I have time for a shower?"

"The gift will likely make you sweaty again so no." Seymour shook his head. "You'll be delivering it to the new Foxcastle librarian."

"What is it?"

He told her.

"I like the way you think, Coach." Jack smiled. "No consequences for me, right?"

"None. I'll make sure you won't get in trouble."

"Then fantastic!" Jack took her sword and daggers out and Seymour imbued them with a blunting charm. She could still kill with them but it'd require her to use them as clubs. Once that was done, she sheathed them all and headed out with a bounce in her step. As she walked, she realized Seymour hadn't told her why he was giving the new librarian this gift but the thought didn't bother her. Surprise gifts are always nice, especially when hand delivered with care by a beautiful woman.

***

"The books on that cart are ready to be shelved, Bobby. I'll take care of those scrolls." Branigan pointed a golem towards a cart waiting near the end of the counter. "Have Steven help if you need."

Bobby set down the bundle of scrolls it had been alphabetizing and shambled to the cart. As it passed Steven, the second golem began following. Branigan watched them go and then approached the scrolls Bobby had put down.

"You can get a better view of me if you dispel that obfuscate charm you're using. The charm distorts the caster's vision." Branigan said in a low voice towards the hazy blob at the end of the counter. The hazy blob seemed to freeze. "Becoming still doesn't make the charm obfuscate you more."

The blob gave up and revealed itself to be a pretty eighth year girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, and an annoyed expression. "How'd you know I was there?"

"Unless you're in a desert or experiencing a particularly hot day, seeing something hazy in your line of sight is suspicious."

"I was not hazy! I did it perfectly. No one else saw me."

"If you say so." Branigan grinned. "Perhaps it was the fact that you walked within range of my wards. When you're spying on someone it's a good idea to not step on their tripwires. Just something to keep in mind for your future ventures in espionage."

"Why do you have wards?" The girl's eyes narrowed further. "What are you protecting yourself from? Foxcastle is safe."

"I could ask you the same questions, Ms. Blackvine."

"That's not my name."

"Then it's just a massive coincidence you look like a younger version of Professor Blackvine?" Branigan wasn't even looking at her anymore. Instead, he was alphabetizing the scrolls. It'd be nice if he could use magic on them to alphabetize but these scrolls were recently acquired and they hadn't been checked for curses. Until they had been cleared fully for magical handling, no magic would be done on them.

"Who I am isn't your business."

"Sure." Branigan nodded. "But it is my business if you ever wish to borrow something from the library. We make it a point to not loan out materials to people without an identity. Very dumb to do so, you see. If we do that, the materials tend to not be returned. We can't even send someone to retrieve them since we don't know who took it in the first place! Really it'll cause a big mess."

"I'm not here to borrow something!"

"Ah yes I figured." Branigan said. "You're here to steal!"

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are." Branigan said. "You've stolen time from me since I should be fully concentrating on my work. So unless you need my assistance in finding a resource or would like to ask for help with your homework, please go back to whatever it is you were doing before you came to lurk in my library."

"I'm keeping an eye on you, Stone."

"From behind a hazy obfuscation or..." Branigan didn't get the chance to finish his question since the girl huffed and because a new girl had arrived at the library. "Hello, Jack!"

"Whoa! You're the librarian!" Jack paused then grinned. "Cool!" She looked at the girl that was in the process of leaving. "Hey Sasha."

"Ah. Sasha is your name." Branigan said before adopting an exaggerated look of offense. "Sasha Blackvine. You lied to me!"

Sasha breathed hard through her nose and clenched her jaw, but she did smile at Jack. "Hey, Jack. Really nice to see you. How are you?"

"I'm great. You?"

"I was doing just fine." Sasha eyed Branigan.

"What if I inform you that you're free to check out materials now that I know your identity?" Branigan said. "Will that better your mood?"

Sasha just glared at him in response.

"Mmm. Anette was like that with me as well. Got her on my side eventually." Branigan turned to Jack. "How can I help you?"

"Coach Harmon sent me on his behalf to give you a gift."

"Ah the first of my welcome gifts! And it's from Seymour. Haven't seen him in a long time." Branigan carefully set down the scroll he was holding and returned to the middle of the counter in front of where Jack was standing. "What is the gift?"

"This." Jack drew her sword. "He wants me to spar you."

"Why not come himself?"

"I'm his best."

"Ah fine. Sparring it is. But if I beat you I expect the man himself to come." Branigan snapped his fingers to get the attention of a golem that was dusting. "Greg! Man the counter for me will you? This won't take long." Greg dutifully came and took Branigan's spot. "Thank you, Greg."

"You named the golems?" Jack laughed as she followed Branigan out into the atrium. Sasha was close behind.

"Well I have to refer to them, politely, somehow. I was raised with manners." Branigan took his suit coat off. "Sasha, could you hold my coat, please?"

Sasha didn't move save for crossing her arms.

"Oh come on I said please!" Branigan waved the coat at her. "This was a gift and I really don't want to set it on the ground."

"Give it to someone else."

"You're closer."

Sasha breathed hard through her nose and snatched the coat out of his hand. Then she walked to stand by a pillar, leaning against it. "Beat him, Jack."

"A few more moments, Jack. We have to ensure the safety of the students." He looked around. Only a handful of students were in the atrium as it was still technically summer holidays. Nonetheless, he cast three spells. One was a dome that was a large, semi transparent, bubble around them that would stop any projectiles both magical and mundane. The second was to prevent any students from entering the fighting ring or throwing anything into it. The third was a ring of docile fire that looked fancy but wouldn't burn or spread. He did all this without taking his eyes off Jack or even the slightest murmur of the spells required. Sasha grew less confident in Jack being able to beat Branigan, remembering what Natalia had said about Foxcastle librarians.

"Aren't you going to arm yourself?" Jack asked, feeling nervousness begin sinking in. He did all that like it was as easy as breathing...Well. He isn't a student. It makes sense that he can do it so easily. Calm down, Jack. You'll be fine. Plus, this isn't a real fight.

"It wouldn't be fair." Branigan rolled up his sleeves, revealing black chains lining his brown forearms and up into the shadows of his shirt.

Sasha frowned and paid closer attention, relaxing when she saw that the chains were in fact tattoos. They were extremely well done, tattooed with magical methods to make them look real and as though they were writhing around him like a snake. They made Sasha nervous, giving Branigan a far more sinister vibe than even her paranoia told her he had. She noted that Jack saw the tattoos as well, but the other didn't seem as put off.

"Ah! Goodness almost forgot." He took off the gold ring he was wearing on his right thumb and slipped it into his pocket. "How about we make this interesting?"

"A bet?" Jack smiled. "Sure!"

"If you win I will help you with all your assignments for the rest of the year. That includes exam preparation." Branigan said. "It's your final year, Jack. Exam scores matter. Having a genius former student like me help you out will guarantee your success."

Jack had a handful of subjects she didn't need any help for. There were others though.... "Deal! What happens if you win?"

"A high five."

"That's it?"

"This isn't a fair fight." Branigan said. "So yes. That's it. If I win, you give me a high five. If you win, you get a tutor."

"You'll regret not taking me seriously." Jack pointed her sword at him but smiled goodnaturedly. Shittalking was a part of competing.

"Sasha could you count us off, please?" Branigan remained in his relaxed stance, looking to the world as if he was just lazily waiting around.

"3... 2... 1... FIGHT!"

Jack charged, holding her sword close to her chest and pointed towards Branigan. He remained still, his only movement being the slow spread of a smile. When she got within three feet of him, and she felt a faint magical pulse, she noticed her mistake. Branigan had wards and she had just tripped one of them. Though her brain immediately screamed at her body to retreat, her body couldn't keep up. All it could do was stumble and cause her to get closer to him.

"Woops!" Branigan said as a pitch black chain shot from him. At its end was a heavy metal prism that would do more than just bruise Jack. Instead of hitting her, though, it slammed against an invisible wall and crumpled. A second later, it disappeared while snaking back into Branigan. While Jack was recovering from nearly dying from a prism shattering her sternum into her heart, Branigan reached out and squeezed her neck for a brief second before letting go. "You lose."

"H-how?" Jack gulped, lowering her sword. Branigan had thrown up a shield for her in half a second. That was only possible if... "You expected me to trigger your wards."

"Yes, ma'am." He raised a hand. "Up top!"

Jack sighed and gave him the high five. "I just assumed you wouldn't have wards. No one does in Foxcastle."

"Never make an assumption like that when you're about to fight someone. Even if it's just sparring, always check." Branigan smiled at Sasha and dismissed all the spells he had cast to form a ring for their fight. "My coat, please, Sasha."

"You could have killed her!" Sasha snapped, throwing the coat at him. "What kind of teacher spars a student while covered in defense wards?!"

"I'm not a teacher." Branigan said, putting his coat on and smoothing out the wrinkles. "If I ever ask you to hold my coat again, remind me that you crumpled the hell out of this one."

"You still have a responsibility for her safety!" Sasha shouted. "Headmaster Blackvine will be hearing about this."

"Go ahead. I like spending time with him."

"You..." Sasha's mouth made many motions but she didn't say anything. "Fuck you."

"Headmaster Blackvine forbids it." Branigan laughed. Sasha was cute when angry. "Romantic relationships between students and faculty members are against the rules."

"You... I...." Sasha turned on her heel and stormed off. Thunderclouds were almost visible over her head.

"Well I better get back to work." Branigan said. Sasha was wearing a skirt and he had been given a good glimpse of her thighs from her turning at a rapid speed. He no longer wondered at why Neil had specifically mentioned to Branigan that Sasha was off limits. She was his type. Well. Most of the guys and girls he had seen at the school - students and faculty - were his type. But Sasha was especially his type. Along with Natalia and Jack. He could feel the talent and power practically radiate off of them. "It was nice seeing you again, Jack."

"Yeah." Jack sighed.

"What's wrong?" Branigan frowned. Jack looked genuinely upset. He hadn't taken her to be the sore-loser type.

"I was really hoping you'd be my tutor." Jack said. "I could use the help. Magic trouble. Instead you beat me in three seconds."

"Ahhh I see." Branigan nodded. "Well I won't be your tutor since you didn't win the fight. But I'm always available to help. I wouldn't belong at Foxcastle if I didn't help those who asked for it."

"Really?" Jack brightened. "You'll help me out?"

"Of course, Jack." Branigan held a hand out. "Happily."

"Thanks, Branigan!" Jack beamed and shook his hand rapidly. "You're the best."

As Branigan admired her gorgeous smile, he cursed Neil for his rules and decided he would ignore them if the girls were okay with it. He had hardly followed the rules while attending the school. Why should that change just because he was employed by the school now? "Call me Bran. All my friends do."

"Okay, Branigan." Jack squeezed his hand.

Branigan clenched his chest over his heart. "Oof you've found a way to wound me."

"Good." Jack smiled. "What do you want me to tell Coach Harmon?"

"Just tell him he should expect a gift from me."

"You got it." Jack gave him a thumbs-up. "Later, Bran!"

"Later, Jack."

***

"Hello, darling." Neil smiled as Sasha entered his office and resumed pouring himself some tea. "Would you like a cup?"

"No."

Neil studied her for a moment, noting the grimace and her red ears. Family trait. Angry red ears. "A nice cup of tea always calms me down."

"I don't need calming!"

"Hmm. Really? Alright." Neil set a cup down in front of her. As he sat down in his chair with a sigh, Sasha took a sip from the cup. "What does my favorite grandchild want from me?"

"You're just saying that because Dominic didn't visit this summer."

"Perhaps."

Sasha remained quiet, finishing her tea, before continuing. "That new librarian you hired nearly killed Jack. Jack Sarkan."

"By the Advent, that's a problem." Neil said. "What happened?"

"They sparred and he didn't take his wards off first!" Sasha said. "Jack tripped one and it attacked her."

"And Branigan stopped it."

"Yes but-"

"And the only way he could have stopped it is if he was prepared for Jack to trip the ward." Neil said. "So I must deduce that he was attempting to teach her a lesson."

"What's a librarian doing with wards like that in the first place?!"

"Don't tell me I must educate an eighth year student on the nature of the job?" Neil raised an eyebrow.

Sasha pursed her lips. "No."

"Good." Neil said. "Because I would rather you tell me why you have wards."

Sasha gulped. In her haste to rat on Branigan, she had forgotten that she and Natalia had yet to inform the Headmaster that they had wards. "I was practising with them."

Neil's eyes glimmered at her from behind his glasses. "Is that so?"

"Yes, sir." Sasha stopped herself from gulping again and maintained eye contact.

"You may leave."

Sasha got up with a careful mix of urgency and calm. "Bye, Grandpa."

"You will refrain from harassing Branigan."

"Yes, sir."

"You will also try and understand," Neil continued. "That not every new person you meet is a threat to you."

Sasha didn't say anything to that. Just left.

Chapter 4: There's A First For Everything

As the sun began to set over the mountains, Natalia sat on the edge of the pier and allowed her feet to dip into the cool, dark lake. From the waterfront to 100 feet away, marked by a line of warded buoys, it was completely safe for people to swim in. A single inch beyond that boundary, all flesh was at risk save for the Headmaster and a select few professors. This was more due to the wildlife wanting to keep itself alive than any sort of agreement to not kill. Neil and the previous Headmasters could have extended their influence, had they wanted to, but wildlife preservation was a goal among all of them. Natalia wondered at the kind of power it would take to sow fear among anyone or anything that didn't even know you personally. To be a presence that enacted its influence by simply existing. She knew her ancestor, Nathaniel Fox, was one such presence as he had been the lord of the castle and the lands surrounding it before donating it all for the use of the magic school he founded. Having that bloodline was simultaneously pressure and motivation for Natalia. It gave her the drive to succeed in school while also making her feel as though she'd never live up to his name.