Fox, Satyr, Dragon Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, Sash." She said, feeling a familiar presence creep in on the edge of her wards. Like a fly strumming the edge of a spider's web.

"Hey, Nat." Sasha took her shoes off and sat down, taking Natalia's hand into her own. "How was your day?"

"Good! All done rechecking my homework. Can relax for the rest of today and tomorrow before the semester starts on Monday."

"Cool! We can hang out." Sasha kissed her ear. "It sucked being away from you this summer. It sucked even more that you weren't miserable in Persia."

"You don't mean that." Natalia laughed.

"You sure? If you were miserable you would have come back quickly."

"My happiness is your happiness." Natalia said. "So quit it."

"If you say so." Sasha shrugged while smiling, kissing Natalia's ear again. "I fucked up, by the way."

Natalia sighed. "What did you do?"

"I went to see Grandpa." Sasha said. "And then he detected my wards."

"Damn it back to the Advent, Sasha... What did you say?"

"I told him I was practicing. He didn't believe me but he didn't press me for the truth."

"What were you doing visiting him anyway?"

Sasha told her.

"You have got to drop this Branigan thing. He's not as suspicious as you think he is."

"Um hello?" Sasha crinkled her nose. "Did you not hear the part about his creepy chain tattoos?"

"Lots of people have moving tattoos."

"These were sinister!"

"They looked sinister because you are paranoid."

"...Shut up." Sasha mumbled. "There's something off about him, Nat. I know it."

"You said that about Chel when your Mom started dating her four years ago." Natalia said. "And now-"

"Yeah yeah and now I consider her a mom." Sasha snapped. "This is different."

"How so?"

"It just is!"

"You're being protective of me." Natalia said. "You're assuming he snuck through my wards on purpose."

Sasha remained silent for a moment, just squeezing Natalia's hand. "Why else would he?"

"Be reasonable, Sasha. What's more likely? Me screwing up the casting or some guy having creepy motives?"

"You're talented!"

"And talented people never screw up? You said yourself I've been having trouble lately. My fein is messed up."

"I apologized for that since I was wrong! You don't screw up."

"Remember what we've talked about?" Natalia frowned. "About putting me on a pedestal?"

"I'm not! I..." Sasha sighed. "Okay. You're right. I'm being unfair to Branigan."

"There we go!" Natalia smiled. "He's really charming, Sasha. You'd like him if you gave him the chance."

"Charming? Why is he charming?" Sasha's eyes narrowed. "Was he flirting with you? You know he's not allowed to do that right? If he's flirting with you I-"

"Sasha."

Sasha took a deep breath. Then another. "I'm crazy aren't I?"

"A little." Natalia said. "So am I."

Their laughter faded and they silently watched the night slowly arrive, the twilight turning to dark with every passing second. As the sun's rays just began to fade, a body flew through the air above them and landed with a splash into the water. Lucky for the body, it landed well within the 100 foot boundary. "Oh my god!" Sasha scrambled to her feet. "Who was that?!"

"I don't know." Natalia got up and raised her hand. "DROM!" Her hand began glowing with an intense white light. The area around them was lit up immediately. After Sasha did the same, they could see farther out into the lake. Noticing movement, Natalia shined her light towards it. "Hello?! Are you okay?!"

A glowing white hand raised up out of the water and gave her a thumbs up. Then the person began swimming towards them with a rapid freestyle stroke, each hand glowing with the illumination spell. When the person was close, Natalia reached her hand down.

"Take my hand!"

"No need." Branigan waded for a brief moment before clambering onto the pier. "Good evening, Natalia. Sasha." He took his shoes off and held them upside down, sighing as water gushed out of them. "Well these are ruined. I just bought them."

"What happened?" Natalia asked, taking the shoes from him to try and dry them as best she could with a spell.

"Jack get her revenge?" Sasha asked dryly, crossing her arms and not doing anything more than stare.

"Oh goodness no. She's good but not that good." Branigan shook his head to one side, frowning as his waterlogged ear refused to clear. "Seymour is the issue."

"Coach Harmon?" Natalia frowned. "Why did he throw you in the lake?"

"He was upset that I was winning." Branigan said before calling out, "We're not done yet, Seymour!"

The girls turned their attention to where Branigan was looking and saw the dark skinned coach laughing while approaching them. "I'd say a dunk in the lake qualifies as a win for me, Bran."

"Standard sparring rules require the quote unquote death of one of the participants for the other to be declared victor." Branigan began walking towards Seymour. "If this was a normal fight I would have gotten right up out of the lake and continued to attack you, not have this little chat debating if we were still fighting or not. Shall we continue or do you want to forfeit?"

"Look at his arms." Sasha hissed in Natalia's ear. The latter frowned but humored the request. Natalia's frown deepened. The writhing tattoos didn't come off as evil to Natalia. But there was something about them that bothered her. She had seen them before but she couldn't place where.

Seymour assumed a fighting stance. "Not a chance you wet dog."

"That's what I wanted to hear!" Branigan sprinted towards the coach.

Sasha looked at Natalia. "Did you see?"

"I did." Natalia nodded but didn't stop watching the fight. It was incredible. Branigan was holding his own against Seymour, a man who previously served as the Emperor's Blade. An honorary position in this time of peace but not one given lightly.

"Wasn't it creepy?"

"No. Familiar. But not creepy." Natalia said. She gasped as Branigan seemingly took the full brunt of a punch from Seymour but had in fact trapped it in the crook of his arm before dishing out a punch of his own.

"What..." Sasha trailed off as she forgot what she was about to say. Branigan had tossed Seymour far into the air and was currently kneeling on the ground. "No way..." The ground beneath them shook and knocked them onto their butts. Then with a laugh that can only be described as childish joy, Branigan called forth hands made of compacted gravel that grabbed Seymour before he fell to the ground.

"Your flair for the dramatic hasn't left you." Seymour said. It was no doubt uncomfortable to be gripped as tightly as he was by the hands but his face betrayed no such emotion.

"You ruined my shoes, I ruined your shirt. I know Sashel silk when I see it."

"Punishment for our hubris."

"Fair." Branigan nodded. "Concede?"

"Concede." Seymour nodded before breaking out of the hands himself, landing lithely on his feet amidst a shower of gravel.

"Let's both change, then we can head to town for dinner." Branigan waved the girls over. "Would you two like to join? Seymour's treat for losing."

"YES!" Natalia exclaimed. Sasha stated the opposite though her voice wasn't heard by Natalia.

"Great!" Branigan said. "Sasha I would like it if you joined but there is no pressure to."

Sasha was about to decline but couldn't in the face of Natalia's puppy-dog eyes. "I'll come."

"Even better!" Branigan began heading toward his cabin. "Natalia you can pick where we eat. We'll come get you at the dorms in roughly an hour."

***

"Excellent choice, Natalia. I am always in the mood for some South Panasian food." Seymour said as they stepped out of the car and walked into the restaurant.

"Good to hear, Coach." Natalia smiled. "I picked it for Sasha so it's nice that she and I won't be the only ones enjoying ourselves."

"You like South Panasian food?" Branigan asked Sasha as Seymour waved to get the hostess' attention.

"Yes. The food." Sasha said.

"My mother is from there. Her food is excellent."

"Shame that we got you instead." Sasha muttered.

"Some roses apparently have more thorns than petals." Branigan smiled before turning his attention to the hostess while maintaining the smile. "Good evening. A table for four please."

"Follow me, Dra." The hostess bowed her head at the four of them. The woman seemed to recognize Seymour and had therefore assumed, correctly, that his companions were fellow Dra.

"How are you this fine evening, Gina?" Seymour asked as the hostess sat them at a table by the window.

"I am doing well, thank you." Gina bowed her head again though she did smile this time as she handed out the menus. "Would you like the house daru as usual, Dra Harmon?"

"Yes I would."

"Then Shanthi will bring it with her when she arrives in a few moments."

Once Gina left, Natalia scooted her chair closer to the table so she could lean towards Branigan. "You graduated six years ago, right?"

"Mhm." Branigan said. "You two were just second years then. Hardly recognize you."

While trying to not get annoyed by Natalia conversing excitedly with Branigan, Sasha rested her head on her hand and looked around the restaurant. The floor was split into two levels, with the top floor on street level and the bottom one reachable by a few steps. At the very center of the bottom level was a traditional pit oven with a protective rail around it. It wasn't used for cooking - Sasha assumed the restaurant had a similar one in the kitchen - but the oven was on, filling the room with a smoky warmth. Above the pit was a vent for the majority of the smoke to leave and prevent the room from becoming a hotbox. The restaurant itself was dark with lighting only provided by the lanterns above each table or the ones affixed to the ochre, octagonal pillars.

"Hello, welcome to The Tigress." Said the waitress, Shanthi, with a slight South Panasian accent. "Here is your daru, Dra Harmon." Shanthi placed a shot glass in front of the coach. "What would everyone like to drink?"

All four requested water before Natalia spoke. "We're actually ready to order."

"Dra Harmon, will you be having the Benali Special?" Shanthi took a notepad out.

"Yes of course." Seymour smiled. It was wider than before now that he had downed the strong shot. "You have to try it, Bran. If you want anything better you'll have to go to Benali Bay itself. And even then you'd have to get lucky."

"You flatter us as usual, Dra Harmon." Shanthi smiled, looking expectantly at Branigan.

"Unfortunately I'm not always the biggest fan of seafood. So I will have to steal a little from Seymour's plate and order it next time if I like it." Branigan said. "What would you recommend for me, Shanthi? Let's see if you pick what I've picked already."

"Oh. Well." Shanthi twisted her lips in thought. "Well I love the Andoor chicken. It's prepared in our pit oven, allowing it to cook in its own juices and retain so much flavor. It comes with basmati rice on the side."

"That's exactly what I picked." Branigan handed his menu back. "It must be good if both of us were drawn to it. Or perhaps it's because great minds think alike?"

Shanthi smiled. "And you ladies? What would you like?"

"I would like the Andoor paneer curry." Natalia said. "May I get naan and rice with it, please?"

"Of course, Dra."

"I would also like the Andoor chicken but no rice." Sasha said.

"Understood, Dra." Sashi scribbled on her notepad before looking at them all. "Anything else?"

"That will be all, thank you Shanthi." Sasha handed her and Natalia's menus back.

"You sure, girls?" Branigan said. "Seymour is paying."

Seymour elbowed Branigan in the shoulder before chuckling. "He's right. Order whatever you wish."

"Umm..." Natalia chewed on her lip before deciding. "Then I would like mango lassi please."

When Shanthi looked at her, Sasha just shook her head. With that, the waitress left and Sasha turned her attention to Branigan. "You lied to her."

"Did I?" Branigan raised an eyebrow. "When?"

"You didn't pick the Andoor chicken." Sasha said. "You didn't pick anything at all."

"Ah so you were paying attention to me." Branigan laughed.

Sasha scowled at him.

"You're right. I didn't pick. Natalia told Shanthi we were ready so I went with the flow."

"Sorry, Bran." Natalia sulked. "I thought you did..."

"It's fine. Gave me a chance to talk to Shanthi."

"Must you flirt with everyone that you meet?"

"You call that flirting?" Branigan chuckled. "How did you two end up together if that's what passes as flirting?"

"How'd you know we're dating?" Natalia asked.

"That line you gave Shanthi about great minds is a flirt!" Sasha snapped.

"Eh. I guess." Branigan said. "And it's obvious you two are dating."

"Weirdo." Sasha muttered as she got up. "I'm going to the restroom." Natalia followed soon after.

Seymour sighed. "Do I have to remind you of the rules, Branigan?"

"There are rules for eating in this restaurant?"

Seymour ignored Branigan's joke with a slow shake of his head. "I know you are young and the girls are beautiful. But as Foxcastle faculty you cannot be acting this way with them. Especially with the Headmaster's granddaughter and the Fox family heir!"

"Her full name is Natalia Fox? I thought something was up." Branigan whistled. "No wonder she's powerful with ol' Saint Nate as an ancestor. I wonder if she'll have him beat. Sure seems like it."

"Reign it in, Bran. I'm telling you as a friend and as a colleague."

"I am simply being friendly."

"No you are not." Seymour said. "I was your age once."

"A century ago?"

Seymour smiled but did not relent. "Be their kind mentor. Nothing more."

Branigan sighed. He murmured as he saw Natalia and Sasha leave the restroom. "I need more than mentorship, Seymour. Every bit counts."

Seymour's smile faded. "I was wondering why you had returned. Foxcastle is to be a sanctuary for you."

"It is."

"Then..." Seymour shut his eyes as though he already regretted his decision. The rules weren't that strict. And he had to atone for failing Branigan and his family six years ago. "I will be claiming ignorance. Just... Don't hurt the girls, Branigan. I know you would never intend to. But..."

"I won't. If I feel that I will, I will withdraw on my own." Branigan forced a smile when the girls got close. "Right on time. Looks like our food is on its way. The service here is fast!"

"That it is." Seymour rubbed his hands eagerly as the steaming Benali Special was placed in front of him. It was three filets of fish curry on a bed of fluffy white rice. "The food is delicious but I come here for the service. Did you cook this yourself, Shanthi? It looks better than usual."

"I prepped the fish, Dra Harmon. My father cooked it." Shanthi had a faint smile as she placed the remaining plates in front of the appropriate guest.

"Careful, Seymour." Branigan began cutting into a part of the chicken that was more burnt than the rest, knowing that he would enjoy that flavor. "She knows how to gut a fish. I imagine a man isn't all that different."

Seymour narrowed his eyes at Branigan before looking at Shanthi apologetically. "My compliments were genuine and held no motives."

"That disappoints me, Dra Harmon." Shanthi said demurely. "Is there anything else I can get for all of you?"

"We're good for now, Shanthi." Branigan laughed, winking at the stunned Seymour after she left. "You'll have to start wearing your wigs, old man."

"Wigs?" Natalia asked. "Coach Harmon, I've never seen you in a wig."

"I only wear one if I am on a date, Natalia." Seymour said, having recovered.

"He has a collection of them." Branigan said. "Could even call it a hairem."

Seymour rolled his eyes. Natalia smiled politely. Sasha snorted. She immediately turned beet red and refused to make eye contact with anyone, focusing entirely on her chicken. She too favored the burnt bits and saved them for later (like Branigan) once she tasted one.

Branigan, in a rare show of mercy, didn't say a word. He smiled to himself and spent most of the dinner talking to Seymour and Natalia, quietly acknowledging Sasha's wish to not be a part of the conversation.

"I'll walk you two to the dormitories." Branigan said once they returned to the school grounds. Seymour, understanding that he had been dismissed, bid them goodnight and headed for the apartments that were designated for the professors.

"It's okay, Branigan." Natalia said. "It's faster for you if you head to the cabins from here, right?"

"Faster, yes. But I have to ensure the safety of students." Branigan said, casually walking a step behind the girls. "If it wasn't me, Seymour would have walked you."

A chill had begun to settle in, spreading the mildest of shivers down Sasha's spine. Branigan rolled his sleeve up to his elbow upon seeing this. First, he cast a heat resistant spell on his forearm and hand as a precaution. It wouldn't make him fireproof but it would give him ample protection, enough for him to extinguish any adventurous flame before it caused serious damage. Followed by that, he cast a fire spell combined with a deflection spell, forcing it to only draw upon the air as a source of fuel and not his skin. All this he did in a span of two seconds, one second per cast. Natalia gaped as the warmth reached her. Even Sasha gave a reluctant widening of eyes. She appreciated Branigan's gesture and resented the appreciation. "Must you take every opportunity to show off?"

"Well of course." Branigan said coolly.

"That was uncalled for, Sasha." Natalia glared. "Apologize."

Sasha, refusing to make eye contact with either of them, raised her head haughtily. "Sorry." She walked ahead of them but not so far that she'd be away from the warmth provided by Branigan's arm.

"I meant a real one!" Natalia exclaimed. "You've been so rude tonight."

"Things given through force, are given with spite." Branigan said. "I have enough spite to last a lifetime, thank you very much. I don't need an apology, Sasha."

Sasha remained silent. She knew she should give a real apology but she was too much like herself to do so. Why did she have to be the way that she was? Why must she hold onto the first impression she had gotten of Branigan even though he was clearly well liked by every single person that knew him? It annoyed the hell out of her and it caused her to lash out some more, self-perpetuating a cycle she knew to be toxic. When they got to the dormitory's outdoor entrance, she decided to break the cycle at least a little. While holding the door for Natalia, she said, "Goodnight, Branigan."

"Goodnight, Sasha." He smiled and bowed his head. After both the girls had entered the dormitory, he turned to face the darkness, raising his arm up to the night. The flames shot straight up, blossoming into an inferno that brightened the entire courtyard in a flash of blinding light. It throbbed, radiating heat and anger like an erupting volcano. The crackling of the fire spread in a large area around Branigan. Then, as quick as it arrived, it vanished. The heat remained, dry and oppressive in the quiet. While rolling his sleeve back down, Branigan spoke in a voice loud enough for their stalker to hear. "Next time, that pillar of hell will be aimed at you. I won't miss." He smiled into the direction they had walked from. "Understand?" He was answered with silence and the muffled, retreating, sound of running footsteps.

Once she was sure Branigan was walking away, Sasha shut the gap in the door she had left. She looked at Natalia, both of their faces pale and wet with sweat. "Did you know we were being followed?"

Natalia shook her head.

"I'll apologize to Branigan tomorrow." Sasha said. "For real this time. He just saved us."