Frosty - A Christmas Story

Story Info
A lonely teacher unexpectedly finds Christmas joy and love.
11.8k words
4.65
18.9k
36
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I hope you enjoy my little romantic Christmas story. It is fiction. All of the characters are over the age of 18. I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

+++

Frosty -- A Christmas Story

Turning the key, Ms. Hannah Evanson locked her classroom and headed for the front entrance. As was her usual routine she had stayed late finishing up her paperwork. Consequently she was alone in the building as she walked towards the entrance. Her steps echoed in the hall as she walked. Over her right shoulder she had slung her purse while she carried her laptop in her left hand. She was dressed very conservatively. Unlike many of the younger teachers, the 36year old Hannah always wore crisp blouses, occasional sweaters and skirts to teach in. When she had first started teaching, exactly 14 years before, she developed the habit of dressing conservatively not so much because of the expectation from the administration as due to the fact that otherwise it would have been hard to distinguish the young teacher from her female students. That was no longer the case of course for Ms. Hannah was now an experienced and highly respected faculty member at Cardaway High School.

And Hannah worked hard for the respect she was given by her students and colleagues. She was exceptionally well organized and structured. Her lectures were often creative and fascinating. Students often remarked how she had the ability to bring to life in unique ways what many of them thought to be a boring subject -- history. But not only that, she was exceptionally thorough and fair to a fault in her grading. This meant of course that she was strict. Deadlines were carefully published. A student in her class earned their grades and there really was no point in questioning it. If you missed an A by one point, well, then you earned a B+.

But despite her excellence in the classroom, she was for all who knew her an enigma. The nicest thing that could be said was that she was distant and hard to get to know. It was like there was a wall that surrounded her emotionally, like a moat around a medieval castle. The result was that she never allowed herself any kind of friendly relationships with any of her students at all. And this cool aloofness was extended to her colleagues as well. She had but one friend among the other teachers. A math teacher named Maureen Jenkins. But even she was kept at a distance and for her part Maureen had a difficult time understanding her colleague. As far as the remainder of her teacher and administrator colleagues she considered them as professional acquaintances, with whom she worked and whom she always treated with respect. She expected the same in return. No more and no less.

The odd thing about her was that she was always so incredibly kind. Even when delivering bad news she had a way of doing it in such a kind and gracious way that one would hardly notice it was bad news. Or, if a colleague needed assistance, she was always, without exception, willing to help and offer support. But, on the other hand, she was so distant and could be cold and aloof. She was a dilemma to both her students and colleagues. And any attempt towards anything that could be construed as friendship was immediately shut down.

She had not always been so distant and cold. When she had started teaching, right out of college as an enthusiastic and newly married 23year old, she was filled with enthusiasm and had been very well liked. In fact it was during her 8th year of teaching that she acquired her nickname - "Frosty."

"Frosty the snowman is a happy jolly soul... he was made of snow but the children know how he came to life one day."

The inspiration for the nickname is not what you might think. Hannah had actually volunteered to participate in the school's Christmas program that year. Assisted by the choral music teacher, Hannah along with her friend Ms. Jenkins worked up a dance routine that they then performed as part of the Friday night Christmas program, a week before school would let out for Christmas break. The choreography they worked out had both of them wearing all white, a red scarf, a painted orange nose, green mittens and donning black top hats while they sang and danced.

There must have been some magic inthat old top hat they found.For when they placed it on his headhe began to dance around.

Their performance had not surprisingly been a huge hit at the school. Prim and proper Mrs. Hannah had sung and danced with the energetic Ms. Jenkins. The students had loved it and cheered and cheered them when they were done, giving them a standing ovation. And it was this performance that prompted some of the students to begin calling Mrs. Hannah, "Frosty." It was, for them, a nickname that had been coined to express endearment.

It might have not been all that big of a deal and have passed into the realm of forgotten school lore, except for one thing. Hannah, the happy, jolly soul, was about to experience a terrible emotional trauma that very night. She had invited her husband to the program. She knew that things had been slowly getting worse between them, but she truly believed that they would work it out and reestablish their loving relationship. After all, they had made vows to each other. But he did not show for the performance. After scanning the audience and not finding him there Hannah had felt a strange foreboding. She confided in Maureen, who simply shrugged it off, "Typical of men!" She said. But Hannah sensed that something was not right.

Upon returning home later that night she saw that the house was completely dark. She stopped her car outside the garage in order to gather her courage. Then she pushed the button. The door rose. Her husband's car was gone. She walked into the empty and dark house calling out. There was no answer. In the kitchen she found a note lying on the counter:

"I'm sorry Hannah. You have become so cold and distant. All you do is work. You never have any time for me. We have nothing in common anymore. I want something more. I want children. I loved you so much once, but not anymore. I'm sorry. I'll send the divorce papers. I wish you well. Kevin."

Hannah, who only an hour earlier had been dancing and singing happily at the school program, and who had been looking forward to the break, thinking perhaps that maybe, just maybe, she and her husband might be able to reconnect and revitalize their floundering marriage, collapsed into a sobbing mass on the floor. And there she remained for most of the night, unable even to stand. She had been so naïve. And she blamed herself. Like everything in her life, it was all her fault!

Finally after pulling herself up she managed to get to her bedroom and throw on an old nightgown. Then she collapsed into bed, where she stayed without eating all weekend. During those three days of lying in bed in her room with the lights off and the curtains closed a darkness, a deep sadness settled upon her like a cloud. What others eventually interpreted as her emotional distance, unfriendliness or cold aloofness was really a deep sadness and loneliness born of betrayal and self-recrimination. During that weekend she shut out the world and boxed up her emotions.

But to add to her pain, when she returned to school she discovered that the students had started calling her "Frosty." It was not meant to be cruel, it was rather intended as a compliment; the way young people will latch on to little things and use them to show a kind of innocent affection. But the first time she heard this nickname applied to her she uncharacteristically lashed out and put the student in tears. Of course she had apologized and made up with the student but the damage was done. After that the nickname acquired a harsh edge and seemed to take on a life of its own. The fact was that students and most of the teachers just didn't understand her fragile emotional state, what she had experienced and how hard she was trying to hang on.

From then on she hated "Frosty" the name and the song. It was connected to the rejection and betrayal she had experienced from the man whom she considered to be her best friend in the world and the only man she would ever love. Maureen Jenkins felt some guilt at dismissing her concerns so cavalierly that night and tried to help by reaching out to her in various ways. But Hannah eventually shut her out as well; she shut everyone out. And from then on, beginning with that fateful year and continuing every year thereafter she shunned Christmas. Despite the celebrative decorations that surrounded her home, her little house stood out each year for its darkness: no tree, no decorations and no lights. Just closed curtains and darkness.

The nickname, however, stuck and went underground. It was passed down from class to class year after year. Even though the context of the song and dance had been long forgotten, the moniker seemed to fit this now cold and distant teacher like one of Frosty's mittens. And whenever Hannah would hear someone talking about "Frosty" she would feel a jab of pain in her heart. Occasionally she also might hear the song when she was out and about, like at the grocery store. When she did, her eyes would fill with tears and she would just walk out of the store.

And so, 8 years later, another Christmas break had arrived. The now 36year old teacher buttoned her coat and crossed the dark parking lot to her car which she drove to her empty dark house. But for some reason tonight was different. She felt that deep sense of foreboding again. Similar to what she had felt all those years before and as she pulled into her driveway she was overcome with a sense of dread. Her house was so dark; so harsh and uninviting. She didn't want to go in. She was afraid to go in. She looked around. Both of her neighbors had lights all over their houses, with Santa's and wise men and "Joy" and "Season's Greetings" blazing out in colored lights for all the neighborhood to see." Beautifully decorated Christmas trees were visible through the windows. Everything was so warm and inviting. She could not stand to look at it. She screamed and buried her head in her hands. Then she quickly pulled her car out of the driveway and drove aimlessly through her small town. But everywhere she turned there were lights, lights and more lights! Happiness! and Joy! around every curve! She couldn't stand it! There was no joy or happiness for her! And it seemed liked all of the lights were mocking her; laughing at her; pointing at her. You have become so cold and distant! She heard Kevin's voice repeating over and over again. Then she heard music with sleigh bells in her mind: Frosty the snowman was a jolly happy soul,with a corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal... Even Frosty was mocking her. She was a failure as a woman, as a teacher, as a wife, as everything! And no one cared!

In her effort to get away from the lights she drove out of town and found herself near the river. The town had created a park around this particular bend in the river along with some wharfs and berths for a few boats, all of which were gone now because of the winter. The park itself was closed and deserted. She turned her car into the park and drove the winding road towards the river. The city had plowed the snow on the main roads throughout her town, but here in the park the road was still covered in packed snow and ice. Ahead of her she could see the river glistening in the moonlight. She parked in front of the barriers and got out of her car and looked around. Almost as if in a daze she began to walk slowly walked towards the river, crossing the walking and biking path and out onto the wharf. Despite the wind that whipped the snow up into her face, she carefully stepped over the simple chain along with its "No Trespassing -- Danger" sign dangling in the wind. The wooden structure of the boardwalk on the wharf was covered in snow and ice and the farther she went out onto the wharf the thicker the ice and the more she had to hold onto the railing just to stay upright. She pulled herself farther and farther out heading towards the drop off into the water that served as a berth for the boats. It was so icy and windy that she continued to slipped and fall into the snow.

Finally, three quarters of the way across the wharf she stopped, still a few feet away from the drop off. She slipped again and found herself on her knees. She was covered in snow. She looked up at the stars and then down at the water. The bright moon allowed her to see the black waves lapping at the supports of the wharf. The water was choppy and looked bleak. How many times had she and Kevin come to this park and walked around the pathway hand in hand? She felt tears on her face as she stared into the watery abyss. She pulled herself up. Just a few more steps out...

... A few more steps, until...

Suddenly at that moment she realized where she was and what she was doing. "God, what am I doing?" She screamed and pulled herself up and started to backtrack to get herself off of the wharf. She fell several times and found herself frantically crawling at times. "No, I don't want to die like this... please, please...." She finally tumbled off the wooden structure onto the pathway. Pulling herself up she rushed across the pavement past the cement barriers to her car. She bundled herself into her car, slammed the door and burst into deep sobbing.

Lights appeared. Blue flashing lights behind her distracted her for the moment. She looked up into her rear-view mirror to see a police car pulling in behind her with its lights flashing. "Oh god," she moaned. In a moment a dark figure emerged from the patrol car and appeared at her window. Trembling and with effort she rolled down her window.

"Good evening ma'am. You know the park is closed this time of night."

Hannah could not speak, she nodded yes, "I... I... sorry..." She burst into sobs again and put her head down on her steering wheel. The officer watched her carefully, shining his flashlight around so he could look inside of her car.

After a moment he spoke gently, "Ma'am, do you have any weapons in your car?"

Hannah shook her head, "no!" She was still sobbing and trying to bring herself under control.

"Could you step out of your car and come back and sit with me in the patrol car, ma'am. And bring your driver's license please."

Hannah nodded, "yes!" She fumbled with her purse and pulled her wallet out, then she slowly opened her car door and pulled herself out of the car. She was so scared and shaking and cold that she could barely walk. She was also still covered in snow. After slipping and almost falling again, the officer offered her his arm. She took it and he helped her walk carefully back to the patrol car. At the passenger's side he motioned to her to shake off the snow from her coat, then he helped her get in and closed the door.

As he got into his patrol car he switched on the inside light and turned off his flashing lights. Hannah who was beginning to calm down, handed him her license without being asked she.

He looked at it for a moment, "Ms. Everson? Hannah Everson."

"Yes, that's me." She said as he took several tissues he offered her and wiped her face and blew her nose. She was a mess.

"You are a teacher at the high school?"

Hannah nodded, "Yes. Sir."

"You're the one they call 'Frosty.'"

Startled, Hannah shot him a painful, hurt look and burst back into tears.

He let her cry for a few minutes and then offered her the box of tissues. Slowly, and with some effort she again began to get control of herself. The officer spoke gently. "I think I touched a nerve. I'm sorry."

Wiping her face with another tissue Hannah replied, "It is not your fault, of course you have no way of knowing."

After a pause the officer spoke again, "May I call you Hannah?" She nodded. "Hannah, I am not going to beat around the bush. I have to ask you, what are you doing here? And let me tell you I have been watching you for a little while. I saw you pull into the park and I saw you walk out onto the wharf. In fact, I was getting concern and was just about to get out of my car and run out to you when I heard you scream and return to the car. So, you need to tell me why are you here?" He spoke to her softly, but sternly.

She looked at him with her sad eyes and wiped her face again. "I don't know sir. I felt so lonely tonight and so sad." She looked out of the window and continued wistfully, "I just didn't want to go home and be alone so I just drove around and ended up here. That's the truth."

"And the wharf?"

"I... I don't know. I don't know why I walked out there. It was a whim, a stupid whim. I wanted to look at the stars, but..." She looked at him, his expression told her he was not convinced. "I know what it looks like, sir. But I would not have... I would not have walked off the end. I swear."

"Did you think about it?"

She felt another flood of tears flow, "I... I did. But I wouldn't have. Really! I swear." She paused, "I'm too afraid, sir."

He looked at her kindly, "Maybe I should take you to the hospital. Do you want me to take you to the hospital? Do you feel like you need that kind of help?"

"No sir." She said softly wiping her face and blowing her nose, "I... I'm better now."

He paused and looked at her as if pondering what to do next. "Ok." He handed back her license. "I have three things for you. If you cannot agree to all three I will take you to the hospital. Understood?"

She nodded.

He spoke with authority, "Number one, I don't ever want to catch you in the park after hours again, and especially I don't to ever catch you anywhere near the wharf. Is that understood? If I catch you I will arrest you for trespassing. Understood?"

"Yes sir, I'm sorry, sir."

"Number two, I am giving you this card." He handed her a card. "Read it!"

"Suicide Prevention Hotline!" She said softly.

"Exactly. I want a promise from you that if you ever feel like you are so overwhelmed and depressed that you start thinking like you were thinking tonight you will call them. You need to promise me you will put this card some place obvious and that you will call them. Understood? Is that a promise?"

Her voice caught as she spoke, "Yes sir. I promise. I'm sorry sir."

He sighed, "Two and a half. You can stop apologizing. I'm not mad at you, Hannah. I am just concerned that's all. Your friends and students at the school would be devastated if you had done anything to hurt yourself tonight."

Hannah gazed out of the window. "I don't have any friends, sir. And all my students hate me."

"That is not true." He spoke kindly, "Look I do school duty from time to time. I know what they say about you. They don't hate you. They actually like you a lot. They say you are the one of the best teachers in the school. But they don't understand you."

Hannah wiped her eyes again, "What's number three, sir?"

"Ah, yes, here!" He pulled out a folded up flyer from his pocket and handed it to her. She opened it:

"7th Annual Blue Christmas Party for Adult Singles -- Monday, December 23 -- 8 :00 PM -- Maxine's Bar and Grill."

"I don't understand. I don't go to parties."

"You're going to this one. You already agreed."

Hannah looked at him with a mixture or fear and surprise. "What? But..."

"Listen to me Hannah. It is obvious to me that you are desperately lonely. This gathering is just a small group of adults who all for one reason or another find themselves lonely at Christmas too. They get together to have a nice evening together. This is what you need."

Hannah rolled her eyes.

The officer shook his head and sighed. "How about this, you have to go but you don't have to talk to anyone. You can just sit in the corner all by yourself and drink coffee or wine or whatever you like and after an hour if you hate it you can leave. But you have to go for one hour."