Game of Love Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Oh! Did I forget to mention that little detail? Well, Laurel and Douglas had gotten married three years back and laurel had given birth two years back. Lilly was such an angel and since her birth, Eric's life had taken a perfect turn. He had even made a collection in her name when she was born.

"So where's that man?" Laurel asked with a raised eyebrow. "I want to see him now."

"Ma!" Eric laughed. "Can we please go home before I start acting like an emotional fool? I will call Sergio and he's gonna come there."

Eric said goodbye to David and then went on his way with his family. He felt so peaceful and so happy.

***

"Sergio, come back here!" Kim yelled as she rushed downstairs after her son. "I am talking to you. Why are you acting like a fool?"

Sergio sighed and started heading towards the exit. But he was suddenly pulled and turned by a raging Kimberly. She was breathing like a woman who was in a prolonged labor. Her heart was racing and she felt like kicking something.

"Didn't you hear me calling you?" Kim snapped. "How dare you ignore me? I am still your mother Sergio and you need to listen to me."

"Sure!" Sergio slid his phone back in his pocket. "You're my mother. But if you have anything to talk to me about aside from badmouthing Eric or insulting him, then we can talk. Other than that, this conversation is over, mommy."

"Oh, so this is how it's going to be now?" Kim chuckled bitterly. "You're choosing him over me? I don't matter to you anymore?"

"I didn't say that."

"Then what are you telling me?" She stomped her foot on the floor. "Why can't you see that this boy is using you? He doesn't love you at all. He's gonna destroy this family."

"Can you listen to yourself?" Sergio was tired of hearing his mother. "I am Eric's husband so I should know exactly what kind of person he is. I have known him long enough and you've known him for only a few weeks and you know exactly what he is. I don't have time for this."

Kim snarled, pulling his son's hand.

"Mom, please, let me go. Eric is already waiting for me. What the hell is your problem?"

"You are not listening to me." She yelled. "Alright then." She let him and go and got closer, staring in his eyes. "Don't listen to me but that boy only married you for revenge. Until when will you realize that he's just using you? He doesn't love you."

"You don't know that." He said hoarsely.

"Okay. Fine!" She seethed, clenching her fists. "Did you know that Eric is Brice's illegitimate son, Giada's evil step son?" She asked, angrily shaking her head. "Did you know that that boy is taking revenge on Giada and he's slowly destroying her fashion house? Did you also know that he's been taking revenge on you because of your past? Do you also know that because of him, Giada's family has been torn apart? Brice is no longer with them. Is that what you want to happen to our family too?"

Sergio was losing it. He was truly losing it. There was so much in his heart that if he started talking, he was gonna break his mother's heart. He suddenly got angry and he just rested his hands on his hips, trying his best to stay calm.

"What?" Kim snapped. "Are you...."

"Yes! Yes! Yes! And yes!" He said harshly. "I know all about that. Now I know where this is coming from. You went to see that woman and she told you all that. But guess what mom, you don't know anything about Eric. That boy has suffered so much because of you. I don't even deserve his love because of what I did to him in the past."

"I don't care!"

"Well, you should and since you're listening to what Giada and Trevor tell you, did she also tell you how she tortured a 17 year old boy?" He asked.

"She would never!" Kim shook her head.

"Did she also tell you how she schemed with Trevor to break a 17 year old boy's heart?" He asked with tears welling in his eyes. "Did she also tell you that she used me as a pawn in her dirty little game just so that she could hurt Eric?"

Sergio's pain was slowly coming back.

"You can say whatever you want. I will never believe you since you're so charmed by that stupid boy. But mark my words, that boy will destroy you. He's using you." She was breathing harshly. "Kick out of this house and your life..."

"That's not happening, mom." He chuckled bitterly, rubbing his tears. "If you think I am gonna up my love for Eric then you're sadly mistaken. My love for him keeps on blooming each second and I'll love him even in death. And since we're talking about imperfection, maybe it would interest you to know that I am the one who is imperfect, impure and doesn't even deserve his love.

I was the one that took his virginity all because of a stupid game and broke his heart the same day. Maybe if you were a good mother, you'd understand that and let your son be happy."

Kim felt like a dark mist had settled upon her and refused to shift. She was staring at her son, wondering if those words had actually come from him. How could a person change so much in so little time, she thought? She couldn't believe it. The old Sergio cared about her and her feelings. But this one didn't care.

Sergio on the other hand couldn't stand talking about that issue. He slowly turned and started leaving while rubbing his tears.

"Sergio, come back here."

"For what?" He snapped, angrily turning. "What do you still want from me?"

"No, Sergio, you've got to choose." Kim said harshly between clenched teeth. "It's either me or Eric! Make your choice right now!"

Sergio laughed, staring at his mother like he's just seen a ghost. "Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I am joking to you?"

"Mom, don't make me choose because you wouldn't like my answer for sure!" He said harshly.

Then he furiously turned and left the house.

Kim watched in pain as her son left. She stood there, as she felt her heart cracking like glass, spreading its pieces throughout her body. She felt like suddenly, her bright world had gone dark, like a big curtain being pulled across the sky. She stood there longing for her son while tears streamed down her cheeks but she knew he was no longer her son but someone else. Her heart slowed as she realized that she had probably lost her son to her enemy.

'Don't make me choose because you'll not like my answer for sure.'

Kim sat on the staircase, staring at the entrance like she was expecting her son to come back and apologize like the way he usually did whenever they argued. But who was she kidding? He was gone from her and there was nothing she could do.

***

Sergio opened the door to Eric's house and he didn't even look where he was going. His mind was on his phone, reading a funny text from Steve. He had a brilliant smile on his face and he was chuckling to himself.

"Baby, I am here." He announced, his voice a little louder. "My love, you sounded a little bit urgent. What's going on?"

But he couldn't hear Eric's voice. He was about to call to him when he quickly raised his face and simply froze when he saw a woman standing in front of him with her arms crossed on her chest, staring at him with a raised eyebrow. She had a stern look on her face and he almost got nervous. He had almost bumped into her.

The woman was very beautiful, dressed like a rich woman smartly. Her face was made-up but not overdone. Somehow, he felt nervous with the look that she gave him and he couldn't help but chuckled nervously.

There was a man that was seated in the living room with a cup of coffee but he was smiling at Sergio. Sergio had never seen the both of them before but they sure as hell gave him the creeps. He felt some tension rising in the air.

"Hello!"

Sergio didn't sound sure. He waved nervously.

"Baby, Eric?" He hollered. "You didn't tell me that we were expecting visitors. Where are you, honey?"

"So it's you." Laurel spoke with a chuckle, a chuckle that scared Sergio a bit. "You're the man that married, Eric?"

"Errr... yes!" He stuttered, raising an eyebrow. "I am his husband. Who are you?"

"Who am I?" Laurel asked harshly, dropping her hand to her hip. "Boy if only you knew who I was, you wouldn't be so near me because I am so mad right now."

"What?" He laughed, his eyes getting a bit wider. "What are you talking about, ma'am? Why would you be mad at me?"

"Really? Now tell me, why did you do it?" She asked with a stern look. "Why did you marry Eric?"

"Err..." He looked around like he was searching for something. "What do you mean by that? I don't think I have to explain why I got married to Eric but I love him. I am sorry but who are you? You didn't answer my question. There's no denying you know Eric but...."

"Sergio?"

Sergio felt excited when he heard Eric's voice. He saw him rushing down the stairs holding a baby. He didn't know what was going on. But he moved to him and placed a kiss on his lips.

"Oh, you're even kissing him in my presence, huh?" Laurel chuckled bitterly. "You didn't answer my question, boy."

"Mommy, please, leave my husband alone. You don't wanna scare him."

A heavy silence settled over them, thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. Sergio felt his heart pound so deep in his chest that he groaned. His breaths quickened and his face lost its color. He became really pale, scared and nervous like a fool. He gulped, his hands instantly becoming sweaty. He stood still like a soldier awaiting instructions by his superior. His face became sweaty and he didn't even realize he'd bit his lip.

"So are you ready to answer my question now?"

"Mother..... mom in law?" Sergio was acting like an idiot and Douglas couldn't sit down anymore.

"Mom in law?" Laurel frowned, getting closer to the man.

Sergio held his breath as she came closer. He'd never felt as nervous as he did at that particular time. It was like he was standing in ice cold rain and he was freezing cold.

"Err... I.... I.... I..." He felt so tongue tied.

Laurel moved closer to him until she found herself staring in his face. She loved the fear that she saw in his eyes. It just showed how much he feared and respected her. She glanced at Eric and saw him smiling back at her.

"Eric, are you sure your husband is not a coward?" Laurel asked and then burst into laughter. "Just look at him! I am starting to enjoy being a mother in law already?" She laughed and then Douglas joined her. "Come on, don't be so scared. I am not going to bite, much!"

Sergio felt like air had just returned to him and he took a deep breath.

"But although I am happy after seeing you, I still have a lot of questions to ask you." She warned, raising her finger. "You married my son without getting permission from his mother."

"And father!" Douglas hollered.

"Mommy, come on." Eric chuckled. "I told you that it was unexpected. We didn't plan on it."

"I am not talking to you, Eric." Laurel raised her hand, gesturing him to be quiet. "I am talking to this tall cutie here. I bet the man that had dared marry my son without asking permission can handle himself, right?"

Sergio gulped. "Well, ma'am, I had no idea there was even gonna be a wedding." He chuckled nervously. "I wouldn't have loved to marry him without asking for your permission but the situation called for it. It was either that or both our lives were gonna be ruined. I am truly sorry."

Laurel got even closer and she had a stern look on her face. Then she smiled and pulled him into a tight hug, patting on his back. Sergio's worries and fear melted away with that simple hug. He smiled brightly, enjoying her warm embrace.

"I am happy for both of you." Laurel felt emotional and tears welled in her eyes. "I had always dreamt of a moment when I would see my son happily married. But this wasn't how I had imagined it. I had imagined preparing the whole thing and escorting my son to the altar where I would hand him over to his husband to be."

"I am truly sorry, ma'am." He apologized. Now he was feeling terrible. "The truth is that we both didn't expect our marriage to come. It was just at the last moment that we realized that we couldn't live without each other. But I promise that you'll have time for that. We'll officially get married soon."

"How? The both of you are going for your honeymoon tomorrow."

"Yeah!" He scratched his head, chuckling nervously. "That was before you came, ma'am. But..."

"You're not cancelling." Laurel warned, raising her finger in warning. "The both of you will go on your honeymoon and be happy. And by the way, don't call me ma'am. You can call me mother or mommy. We're family now."

"Yes, mother!" He nodded, chuckling.

"And I am your father in law." Douglas said happily, shaking Sergio's hand powerfully. "I am this beautiful young man's step-father. But I don't like the word so I am his father. Don't mind him calling me Douglas. He just isn't used to it. But you on the other hand..." He didn't need to finish his sentence. Sergio got it.

"Yes, father!"

"Nice! You young people of nowadays are full of surprises." Douglas said with a chuckle. "Today you're our little bundles of joy and the next day, you're married. I am just surprised you didn't elope with my son."

"What?" Eric laughed. "Elope? What's the point? We just had to face our parents and society. But since you guys have taken it lightly then we're okay."

"We still have a lot to talk about. But for now, why don't you come in, Sergio?" Laurel smiled brightly. "We'll have this conversation over some lunch. Eric, why don't you help me set the table?"

"Sure!" Eric kissed his husband and then went with his mother.

Sergio followed Douglas to the living room although he so much wanted to be with Eric. He'd missed him so much and just to hold him and kiss him. He didn't even realize he was staring towards the dining area, checking Eric out.

"You know, I really like you, Sergio." Douglas said, patting on his back. "I think I can see that you genuinely love him."

"I love him so much, sir!" He said with a smile on his face. "When I had hurt him in the past, I felt like I had hurt myself. I still can't believe he was able to forgive me and accept my proposal."

"You know what, Sergio, Eric needs you right now." Douglas said with a sigh. "I am sure you're aware of the things he's been through in the past. He didn't experience love from both parents and for five years now, I have been trying to fill that spot. He loves me and I love him too. But I still felt he needed more love than I could give.

But now, now I feel that he won't lack anything. I can see the love you have for him will make him so happy. He's so lucky to have you in his life. Whom he can lean on. Someone who can be his strength in difficult times."

"Sir, I truly love Eric." He said with a stern face. "You can count on me for his protection and to make him happy. I am ready to give up everything including my own life to ensure his happiness. I will never ever hurt him no matter what."

"That's good. If you promise me that then, I have nothing to worry about. Welcome to the family." He extended his hand.

"I promise, dad!"

Sergio powerfully shook Douglas' hand as they smiled brightly at him. That very moment, a maid came and called them to the dining room.

And man, they had a great time at the dinner table. The meal was delicious, the conversation was lovely and the mood was to die for. Laurel was a sweet woman, kind and loving. And Douglas was funny man but very good man.

Sergio felt at home and he laughed a lot. He even got to meet Eric's beautiful baby sister. But something was bothering him. Although Eric's family treated him with so much love and respect, Eric didn't receive the same treatment from his mother. She was always cold and bitter towards him. He felt he didn't deserve the treatment he got from Eric's family. They should have also been hard on him.

They talked about Sergio's family but Sergio told them the truth. They understood and hoped to meet Kim within a short period to talk about it and resolve their issues. But of course, since they were leaving the country for their honeymoon, Eric suggested they did it after they were back because at least then, Kim's anger would have subsided. But of course, Adrianna was come and see them.

It was a very good day for the couple and they spent the entire day there.

***

Trevor was coming down the stairs, holding a glass of champagne. He was staring at his phone with a stern look on his face. He was only wearing a sexy blue short with a black vest and sandals on his feet.

He suddenly heard the door furiously opening and found his mother entering and she was looking like she had just from a war. Her face was red with anger and the moment she reached the living room, she just stood there and threw her purse to the floor angrily. Trevor rushed down the stairs and started heading towards her with worry on his face.

"Mommy?" Trevor sounded really worried. "What's wrong? Are you okay? What..." He paused and gasped when he saw the red mark on her face. "Oh my God, who the hell did this to you?"

"That bitch!" Giada snarled, balling her fist. "How dare she lay her hands on me? Where did she get those nerves from?"

"Who?" Trevor was a little confused.

"Who else but that mistress bitch?" She yelled, stomping her foot on the floor. "That Laurel, your father's mistress is back. She's the one who did this to me. How dare she?"

"What? Eric's mother did this to you?" Trevor frowned. He couldn't understand a thing. "Laurel? I can't believe this. That woman wouldn't dare raise even a voice at you. She fears you like the devil himself. What happened?"

"You should have seen her." Giada groaned. "She acted like a heroine, saving her son from my embarrassment in front of everyone. She slapped in front of those workers and..."

Before Giada could finish her sentence, her phone started ringing. She furiously took her purse from the floor and took out her phone. It was the financial manager of her company.

"What?" She snapped, breathing harshly. "What the hell did I tell you? Must you call me for any stupid..."

'Ma'am, I had to.' The man said in a sad tone. 'There's something majorly wrong. Three of our biggest business partners have pulled out of the company.'

Giada's heart gave a violent pound in her chest and she visibly trembled. The fear sat on her like a pillow over her mouth and nose. Once again fear found her. It spoke to her in its cackling voice. It told her legs to go weak, her stomach to lurch and her heart to ache.

"What?" Tears welled in her eyes. "But that means that... no!" She cried. "That cannot be, please. Tell me you're joking right now."

There was a silence on the other end, a really long one.

'There's more.' The man spoke softly. 'We've lost our biggest investors too and one of the loan firms just sent us a letter. We're due and...'

Giada dropped her phone to the floor before the man could finish his sentence and she dropped to the couch as a billion tears streamed down her face. It was all over now. Those investors and partners had been all she had been holding on to, hoping they were gonna bring the company's glory but now it was all over. She had been dethroned by Eric.

"Mommy?"

"He's finally won!" Her palms were sweaty and the adrenaline coursing through her system was shutting down her ability to think logically. "He's finally crippled me for real. What am I gonna do?"

Giada wanted to run or go to Eric and beat him to death. She wished for nothing but death for him. He'd finally managed to cripple her fashion house. Of course, she had other businesses but they didn't do as well as the fashion house did.

"Mommy?" Trevor shook her and she looked at him with tears on her face. "What are you talking about?"

"Eric! He's finally managed to cripple my entire company. We've lost business partners, investors and now we're in debt. I don't wanna lose my company, Trevor. I can't lose it. I have worked so hard for it to just go down like that."