Getting By

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kelly reluctantly agreed to Hope's request. Hope and Barbara arrived about eight p.m. that evening. When Barbara saw where they were going—her mother had insisted she go with her to get some ice cream—she almost refused to get out of the car. Jerrod was slumped in his chair watching an old black and white movie on cable. He was on his second scotch of the evening. He had three beers just after getting off work as usual so he was feeling no pain already. Barbara and Hope came into the house via the back door. The three ladies sat in the kitchen visiting. Kelly sat where she could see the door into the room from the Den. Barbara was sitting between the door and the refrigerator.

The women were beginning to think Jerrod was never going to come to the kitchen for another drink when he finally walked through the door. He stopped when he saw the women. His eyes were riveted on Barbara. His face lit up and so did Barbara's when they saw each other.

Jerrod stood for a moment then said, "Hello Hope, Barbara. What are you doing here?"

Without thinking Barbara stood and walked up in front of Jerrod. She stood and looked him in the eye. Her hand reached out and she gently touched his forearm. "We were worried about you Jerrod. No one has seen you for three weeks. We asked your mother if we could come and visit for a while so here we are."

"Yeah, well I'm fine," Jerrod said then he walked back to the refrigerator and picked up another beer. When he walked away Barbara sort of wilted. Kelly was shocked at the almost instantaneous changes in the two young people's expression when they first saw each other then in the change in Barbara when Jerrod dismissed her so cavalierly.

After Jerrod returned to his movie Kelly turned to Hope and said, "That was pretty obvious wasn't it; even a blind person could see what was going on there. I'm still not sure you three handled it the right way but I do want to thank you for trying."

Kelly turned to Barbara and said, "Honey would you do me a favor please? Would you go into the Den and keep Jerrod company for a few minutes? I want to talk to your mother about this mess if you don't mind."

Barbara smiled and rose without a word. She walked into the Den and took a seat next to Jerrod on the couch. He had his feet on the coffee table like he did at Hope's house. Barbara adopted the same arrangement.

Kelly and Hope talked for about an hour. Hope decided it was time to leave. The two mothers walked to the door into the Den and stopped in surprise. Jerrod and Barbara were both asleep. Barbara had her head laying on Jerrod's chest and her hand resting on his stomach. They both looked content.

Kelly looked over at Hope and said, "Well, I guess that really proves it doesn't it? Now how are we going to convince that boy to get his head outta his ass and do something about it?"

One thing the women did was to reintroduce Jerrod into their lives. They all loved the young man as a grandson and they all missed his visits so this was easy for them. It was somewhat more difficult to get Jerrod to begin visiting them however. Finally all the women ambushed him one evening after he quit work. They had planned on using fake tears to get him to return to visiting them but that proved unnecessary. They all became emotional when they confronted him about his stopping his visits.

Barbara was, perhaps, the worst of the lot. She walked up to Jerrod and wrapped her arms around him. She laid her head on his chest and cried. Through her tears she said, "Jerrod when I first saw you I never would have thought I would want to see you again. I grew to love our talks when you were coming to our house and when we met at someone else's home. I especially loved the times we went out together. Jerrod I miss you as much or more than the other ladies do. Please, please don't cut us out of your life."

Jerrod relented and began visiting the women once more. He never spent the night with any of them again but he did stay late visiting. Many times all of the friends got together. To his surprise his mother even visited with them sometimes. Many of the times his mother attended the party he found Barbara and himself shunted to the side to visit with each other. The other women seemed to gather in a circle and talk about sewing or quilting or other things they were more interested in.

One evening after they had been sitting together for a few minutes Jerrod and Barbara were talking about movies playing and coming in the near future. They found they both wanted to see the same one. Barbara looked at Jerrod and said, "If we hurry we can make the late show tonight. Why don't we go see the show and let these guys talk about their sewing?"

"Heck, why not? Come on." Neither of the young people saw the smiles and happy looks on the older women's faces when they announced their intentions and took off. It would have embarrassed both the young people if they could have heard the conversation after they left too.

Jerrod rapidly regained much of his lost happiness after his friends welcomed him back into their lives somewhat. He still couldn't seem to get off the stick as far as Barbara was concerned. Finally one day Barbara began going to his shop in desperation. The first few times she went she just visited and sat to watch him work. They had lunch together and enjoyed each other's company.

When visiting didn't work she began watching what he did and began trying to help him. Finally one day during lunch break Jerrod looked at Barbara with a serious expression and said, "Barbara what are you doing here? You have been spending almost as much time here as I do."

"I miss you Jerrod and I like to be with you. Mom is always out with her friends and I get lonesome. I don't enjoy talking about the same things Mom and her friends do so I don't go with her. I still haven't found a job and I really like being with you so I decided to just hang out here for a while. You don't mind do you? I try to help and to stay out of your way. Besides, I sortta like building cabinets. You do amazing and beautiful work here. I like being part of building things like that."

Barbara looked apprehensive and continued, "If you don't want me here I guess I can go away. Is that it? Do you want me to leave?" Barbara looked almost ready to bolt out the door when she said that.

"No Barbie. I enjoy your company too. I guess I just wanted to know what was in your mind. I'm sorry about the job. There isn't much here that's for sure. I do appreciate the help. I really have more business than Gail and I can keep up with easily. When I took over the shop for Mom I didn't think I would be this busy. In fact I didn't want to be this busy. I can use the help that's for sure. The two friends finished their lunches and returned to the shop. For the next week Jerrod spent more time teaching Barbara how to do some of the lighter, simpler work. To his surprise she took to it rapidly and did a great job after a few minor mistakes while she was learning.

Jerrod normally paid Gail every two weeks. On the normal Friday payday the three friends were sitting in the break area sucking down some Dos Equis Lager and unwinding from the day and week. After their ritual single beer Gail visited a few more minutes and said, "Well you two I better hit the road. Perry wants to go out and eat tonight and I have to pretty myself up before we go."

Just before she left the building Gail turned to Jerrod and asked, "Do I need to come in tomorrow or are we caught up enough we don't have to work?"

"Naw. Take the day off. I may come out for a few minutes and sand down the cabinets we finished today but I don't think we need to build any tomorrow. Enjoy your weekend."

Jerrod and Barbara sat in companionable silence for a few minutes. Jerrod was staring at Barbara almost constantly. Finally she couldn't take it any longer and said, "What are you staring at me for Jerrod? Is something wrong?"

Jerrod quickly changed the direction of his eyesight for a moment then sheepishly said, "No Barb. Nothin' wrong at all. You just seem so much happier than you were before. You almost glow and I've had more fun working since you got that way than I have had in months. You know you're a very pretty woman and I was wondering what you want to stick yourself in a place like this for. You could land a nice fella and gave a great job if you went back to the city. Using a degree in accounting to help me build cabinets just doesn't make a lot of sense."

"You idiot. If I wanted to stay in the city and find one of those city assholes I would have done it. I had one of those and dated several more. We're like mixing oil and water. Besides, you complaining about me using my degree or not is like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it? Hell, you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and you're building cabinets. Why aren't you working in the city in a high paying job with a rich bitch girlfriend?"

"Touché Barb. Guess we're just two of a kind aren't we. I'll never get rich here unless I expand like crazy but I don't want to do that. I'm happy just getting by with my little profit from selling locally and to some of the smaller builders in Centerton. I put a little away every month and that's fine with me."

Jerrod reached into his pocket and pulled the sole remaining envelope it contained from it. He leaned over and tossed it onto Barbara's lap. "Here, this is for you Barb. Do you want to go to town for a bite to eat with me either tonight or tomorrow night or both?"

Barbara looked at the envelope. She began opening it and at the same time said, "I'm really too tired to go to Centerton tonight. Can we just eat something here or at Mom's tonight and go out tomorrow night?"

"That's fine with me. I'm pretty tired too. Why don't we just go over to the café for a burger tonight? Mom's running around again tonight. I think she is going to the dance with the ladies and I don't even feel like making a sandwich."

"JERROD! What's this check for? Why are you giving me $196.00?"

"That's your pay check Barb. You work here. I decided last week after we talked that since you were helping it was only fair I paid you. I only gave you minimum wage because you were doing mostly gofer work but I kept track of your time and that's your first six day's pay. You said you were looking for work and wanted to stay here in town so now you can. After you get more skilled I will raise your salary."

"No. I don't want it. I'm not doing this because I wanted you to pay me. I'm doing it because I like to be around you and its fun. Here." Barbara held the check out to Jerrod.

"No. You earned it and I won't take it back. I don't want an argument over it."

Barbara looked at Jerrod then back at her check. Finally a tear ran down her cheek and she sniffed it back before she said, "Thank you Jerrod. Can you afford this though? I don't want it if it'll cause you trouble. I didn't do this for the money."

Sunday Kelly invited all Jerrod's friends to their home for lunch. Jerrod and Barbara spent almost the whole time together. They did visit with the ladies but even when they did that they were close beside each other. Several times Jerrod caught one or another of the ladies watching them and smiling. It made him nervous.

Jerrod and Barbara began eating a lot of their evening meals together after that. Sometimes she ate with him and his mother, sometimes they went to the café or to her home. Every weekend they went to a nicer place for supper then usually went dancing or to a show.

Jerrod was always a gentleman. Barbara was getting upset at him for it. She wanted to move on and become an official couple. She was sure she was in love with Jerrod. She had let her mother and Kelly talk her out of pushing the issue. They had explained Jerrod's past lack of success with women who had told him they loved him then dumped on him. She was hurt for him and wanted to slap the women but at the same time she was glad because they left him for her. At least if she could get him to commit he was left for her.

One Thursday afternoon Jerrod came into the shop grinning like an Opossum Eating Shit. He was waving a handful of papers at her and Gail. "We got the Shaw Construction Contract for cabinets, woodwork and built in bookcases in that new development they are starting. They are going to build at least 20 houses. We're going to have to work a lot of Saturdays if you all don't mind. I may even have to find more help. I almost wish we hadn't got the job. We're going to be a lot busier than I really wanted to be."

Gail grinned and yelled, "Great!" Barbara gave a squeal and jumped into Jerrod's arms. She wrapped her legs around his waist and gave him a big kiss. "That's fantastic Honey," she said. Before she let her legs loose and slid back onto the floor she gave him one more kiss. She stood with her arms around him and looked into his eyes. Not much work got done the rest of the afternoon.

That Friday Perry, Gail, Jerrod and Barbara went to town for a nice meal in celebration. They had some wine with the meal then when they got back to Barbara's house she, Jerrod and her mother had another two bottles. Hope drifted off to bed and left Jerrod and Barbara alone. They were so excited they kept kissing and fondling each other. Barbara stood and Jerrod stared lustfully at her bared breasts. She smiled and held out her hand.

When Jerrod took her hand she helped him stand and led him into her bedroom. That night Hope got to listen to her daughter moan and beg and scream. Four times she cried out in ecstatic orgasms while Jerrod pounded away at her slippery cunt.

The last time about two a.m. Jerrod collapsed to the side and dropped off into exhausted sleep. He woke alone in bed about ten a.m. the next morning. He pulled on his clothes and stumbled into the kitchen where he found Hope and Barbara sitting at the table drinking their morning coffee. Both were in robes. He stood looking at them in embarrassment. Barbara smiled and stood to get his coffee. As she stood her robe came unfastened. Her beautiful breasts swung free. Jerrod and Hope saw the love bites she proudly displayed before she grabbed her robe and pulled it closed once more.

Jerrod looked at Hope and said, "I'm sorry. I guess we had too much to drink last night. It won't happen again."

Hope looked surprised and Barbara turned so fast she spilled some of Jerrod's coffee. Her face had a broken up expression. "What are you talking about Jerrod? You have NOTHING to be sorry about. I loved it. My GOD, that was the best sex of my life. Now I know why Mom screamed so much when you and she were, uh. No, I'm not going there. You damn well better believe it will happen again. Over and over again if I have anything to say about it. Damn it Jerrod don't you understand? I LOVE YOU. I'm not like those bitches who shit on you. If you won't marry me fine. I'll live with you. If you won't let me live with you I'll just be your fuck toy but I want you in my life. I want you now and I want you when I'm on my death bed. So, YES, it WILL happen again unless you run away."

Hope was sitting at the table smiling at Jerrod. Jerrod stood looking like a deer caught in headlights. He didn't know what to say or where to run or even if he should run. He slowly, silently sat at the table and took a sip of his coffee. His mind was spinning and he wasn't sure what to do. He looked over at a grim Barbara and a happily smiling Hope.

"I don't know what to say here. I do know there's something wrong with me. You don't want to be my girlfriend and you especially don't want to be my wife. Every woman who has got to know me that well has run off in fear. I don't know what is wrong with me or I would try to fix it but I just am not husband material."

"BULLSHIT! The only thing wrong with you Jerrod is you make crap lousy choices in women friends. Well I've fixed that for you. I've chosen you first. You can be with me now because I CHOSE. I know we're right for each other. Mom and your Mom and all our friends know it too. Damn it I love you and I know you love me too. You've even told me so several times when we were kissing and last night—MY GOD, after last night I know you love me. NO ONE could make love to a person like that and not love them.

"Yeah, I do love you Barbara but I love your mom and Frances and Edwina and my mother too. I love a lot of people."

"Yes, I'm sure you do and I know they love you too but not like I do and you don't love them like you love me. Be honest here. Don't you think we are better together than any of them were with you? I bet we're better together than any of your old girlfriends were with you too. I'm not just talking about sex here either although that was out of the world good. I've seen how you look at me. You never looked at any of the other girls like that. I KNOW you love me. Why don't you admit it to yourself?"

Jerrod sat staring at Barbara. He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know. I need to think about this." He sat and finished three more cups of coffee then ate the breakfast placed before him. "I need to go. Thanks for breakfast. See ya Monday."

Barbara rushed after him and grabbed him. She slipped her arms around him and gave him a deep kiss. Without thinking he wrapped his arms around her and returned the kiss with fervor. They were moaning and grinding their bodies against each other when the kiss broke. Barbara stepped back and said, "Whew. Now that was a kiss. Now tell me you don't care. You know you do."

All the rest of the weekend Jerrod thought not only about what he and Barbara had done but what she especially had said. He examined his feelings about her. DID he love her? Yes, to his surprise he thought he did. Should he try another relationship? He didn't know. She wasn't like any other woman he had gotten serious with. They worked together well and played together even better. She didn't use him for her own wants like the others did and had never asked him for anything that he could remember. She was totally different from other women he had known. Instead of asking him to do her work she was always asking what she could do for him. He needed to think more about this for sure.

Monday morning Barbara arrived just as Jerrod was unlocking the shop door. She bounced out of her car and wrapped herself around him. She gave him a soul searing kiss. They were still kissing and grinding against each other when Gail drove up. She jumped from her old truck and grinned then said, "Well, it's about time! I was beginning to think you were brain dead Jerrod. When's the wedding?"

Jerrod looked shocked and Barbara blushed. She licked her lips and said, "You're jumping the gun Gail. He hasn't asked me yet and I haven't given up and set the date without him. We finally had the talk Saturday morning. I think he's still in shock."

Once again Jerrod began spending a lot of nights away from home. This time at least, his mother wasn't so upset. She always had a kind word to say to Barbara. In fact several weekends she and Barbara went shopping together. Sometimes they took Hope with them.

Finally Doris's estate was settled. To his surprise she had willed her little house to Jerrod. By the time she had passed away Jerrod had made it into a show place. She said it was as pretty as it had been when her husband had been alive.

At noon on a Sunday almost three months after Jerrod and Barbara began spending so much time together Jerrod's mother leaned back from the lunch table and asked, "Jerrod what are you going to do about Barbara?"

Jerrod looked up at her in shock. "What do you mean? Is there something wrong with Barbara?"

Mrs. Patrick sighed and gave Jerrod a half angry look. "Damn it Son. You know full well what I mean. You know that woman loves you to death and I know you love her. She deserves better than what you're giving her. The way you treat her sometimes is a disgrace. I'm almost ashamed to admit you're my son when you treat her like you usually do."

1...345678