Haley's Ladder

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stood, taking out a pack of cigarettes and fumbled for the lighter in her coat pocket. She enjoyed the way the smoke felt in the damp weather as she took a drag. Turning to glance at the now silent officer, she noticed a shadowy silhouette in the corner of her eye standing near the far corner of the towering building near them.

Scanning the abandoned building, taking brief note of the ladder curled at the edge of the roof, her eyes settled on the still figure. She knew the young man next to her couldn't, or wouldn't see it.

Waiting, she puzzled out the motion of the feline ears, that gave her the impression her visual target was shaking her head. To answer her unspoken question a nondescript limb pointed upward.

Detective Hill grimaced and looked to the sky. There was a sun somewhere up there trying to break through the cloud cover. The detective sighed loudly to make a statement. Then followed it with, "Oh well."

She reached down, carefully undid the chain and removed the crucifix, pocketing it casually in front of Steinberg. Letting the chain remain unclasped and laying on the ground, she straightened, flicking her cigarette as far as she could from the area.

"Not mine," she said flatly, turning on her heel.

"But-" Steinberg began to protest.

She wheeled and stepped to the younger officer authoritatively. She locked eyes and cocked her head as if she was searching for something.

"You know don't you?" she asked inquisitively.

"Know? Know what ma'am?" the officer responded, unsure.

"That the world is going to hell," she answered quietly.

The officer stiffened, a common and predictable reaction in both her specialized areas of expertise. She wheeled again, calling out with a strong voice.

"Balthazar! I need to speak with you."

"Yes mistress," replied the older, heavy-set uniform.

Steinberg noted the odd usage of the title mistress instead of ma'am. He noticed both figures splashing footsteps in puddles as they walked away. He did not notice the wake from an invisible appendage parting those same puddles, as it trailed his lumbering partner.