Holiday Hammer Blow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She nestled in a bit closer. "Okay, don't get uptight. If I knew my husband was off with a very beautiful woman, who happened to be my friend, and I was seduced by a very handsome man, who I knew and respected. I probably would have gone with the flow and tried to enjoy it."

"So you think I was in the wrong?"

"No, babe, there's no right or wrong answer. We are all different people. I was just interested."

Her response to my question did unsettle me. It made me question her commitment. It also made me ask that damn question again. Did I do the right thing or was I the biggest idiot on the planet? Even to that day, I still thought of Kelly. She had been the love of my life, and yes, I still felt those pangs of love, or something.

It was at lunch the next day when Tab asked again. "Well, have you made your mind up yet? Can I accept for both of us?"

"I would prefer not to go. I would be prepared to go if it wasn't at their place. Gary is the one I don't want to deal with. Could I say no to this but yes to the next one?"

She sounded frustrated when she replied, her voice testy. "What difference does it make? He will probably be at the next one, anyway?"

"Yeah, but it wouldn't be at their place."

"Please, Dave, I don't want to go on my own."

"Yeah, okay, but you have to promise one thing."

With a broad smile she asked. "What would that be?"

"You have to run interference for me. Keep him away from me. Honestly, Tab, if he says anything to me, I'll probably punch his bloody lights out."

She flinched. "What, after all this time, you still haven't been able to let go?"

"He was my best friend, Tab. I have known him my whole life, much longer than I knew Kelly. He knew what I would say, and do. He bloody knew, but decided to go ahead and bang her."

"You think he knew you would be against it?"

"Yes, we were best mates. We talked about it. He knew damned well that I would never cheat on Kelly. I told him many times how much I loved her."

"Yes, but come on, babe. He thought you were getting looked after by Maike."

"No, he knew."

"If that's true, he is a real bastard. I know the girls all believe that he only went through with it because he thought it was a legitimate swap."

"All I ask is you run interference for me. I don't want to end up in jail."

She kissed me. "I'll do my best, but it's a party. We will be separated for some of the time."

We arrived at their new house a little late because Tab took an absolute age to get ready. I had never seen her take so much time to get dressed. I have to say, she looked gorgeous. Okay, not knock em down dead model like gorgeous, but when I looked at her she made my heart race. When I saw her walk out of the bedroom I whistled loudly and said, "Wow, holy smokes, babe. You look sensational."

"Oh, stop it you. Everybody there will be younger and prettier than me. I'm not a silly teenager, Dave. I know Kelly and the girls are all going to look so much more beautiful than me."

I pulled her into my arms, I kissed those sexy ruby red lips. "That is so much crap. You always put yourself down. You are beautiful."

She gave me a smile and off we went.

I knocked on the door, hoping upon hope that Gary didn't answer the door.

Elise opened the door and Tab jumped into her arms. "Happy birthday, spunky," Tab yelled.

They hugged and kissed as Tab added, "Jesus, look at you. My god you look sensational." She turned to me. "Dave, tell her. Doesn't she look beautiful?"

I gave her a scowl and tried to ignore her. Elise hissed a sulky. "Hello, Dave."

I acknowledged her with a shrug.

She looked immediately pissed off, but invited us in. As we walked into the room, Tab handed her the gift. "This is from Dave and me."

Elise gave her another hug and kiss as she unwrapped the gift. "Oh my god thanks, babes." Elise replied.

"Yes, it's from Dave as well."

Elise just gave me a pouty glare. We walked in and I knew everybody. I saw Kelly in the middle of a group which included M&M, and some other friends from our old circle. Tab rushed over and jumped into Kelly's arms and they shared a hug and kiss. A couple of the guys I knew came over and we soon fell into conversation.

As we talked I spotted Gary. He saw me as well, and as I glared at him he turned away, unable to hold my gaze. That made me feel good. It probably meant he would stay out of my way.

Drinks flowed and it was actually pretty nice. I soon forgot where we were. It wasn't until Tab floated up accompanied by Kelly. They drifted into the chat of the people I was with, but they soon evaporated and just the three of us were left standing quietly.

Kelly took me by surprise by leaning in and kissing me on the cheek. "Hey, stranger. God, I'm so glad you're here. Thanks for coming."

I tried to ignore her but she pressed on. "So how have you been?"

"Fine, you know. New job, lots to do."

"Are you still doing the mountain bike thing?"

Tab interrupted. "Oh, god yes. He's off all the bloody time."

Kelly laughed along before saying, "Yeah, I remember."

"So how have you been?" I asked.

She shrugged as she took a big gulp of her drink. "I've been doing all right. Keeping busy with work, oh and I started playing netball again, but I guess you know that?"

"Met anybody special?"

She shook her head. "No, I haven't really been looking."

I was going to say, "Probably getting enough sex from Gary," but I swallowed that.

The conversation sort of got easier. Then M&M arrived. Marty stuck his hand out. "Hey mate. How's things?"

I ignored his stuck out hand and nodded. "Good."

Maike moved in for a hug and kiss. "Hi, Dave."

"Hey, Maike, how have you been?"

"Good, I'm so glad you came along tonight. When Kelly said you were coming I was over the moon. We have all missed you."

Kelly grabbed my arm. "God yes. It feels like old times having you back in the fold."

I noticed Tab moving back out of the circle, so I reached for her hand and pulled her into my embrace. We stood side by side, my arm resting across her shoulder.

"Tab's the only reason I'm here. If she hadn't pressed I wouldn't be here." I saw Kelly give a twitch, before catching herself and smiling. "Well, we're glad she did. It is nice to see you."

Tab surprised me by saying, "I'm going to get a drink." She walked off and Maike and Marty followed. Kelly moved a little closer, so we didn't have to yell. "So how have you really been?"

"Kelly, I don't want to do this. I am glad that you have moved on and got your shit together, but I would prefer to try and keep some degree of separation."

I remembered that expression she gave me. She was sad. "Dave, I would like us to be friends. I'm happy you found Tab, she is amazing. Not somebody I would have expected you to choose, but I'm happy for you, and for her, as well."

"Why did you say that, Kelly? Because of the age difference?"

"No silly, because you are so different, in many regards you are chalk and cheese. Come on, Hon, let's be honest. You can be a bit rigid, inflexible. Tab's is fun, outgoing, flirty and loves parties."

"Well, maybe that's why we get on so well."

"Dave, I'm not trying to interfere. I am genuinely happy for you."

"Thanks, I think."

She hugged my arm and suddenly we were talking about our families. I didn't have to give her an update, she was closer to my Mum than I was, but it was nice to chat without anger.

About an hour later, Tab came bustling in between us. "What have you two been plotting?" she said with a teasing giggle.

That's when it turned to shit. Elise and Gary appeared and I felt my blood pressure climbing to bursting point.

"Well, you lot look happy." Elise gushed. Gary walked into our huddle and stuck out his hand. "Hey mate, nice to see you."

I ignored his handshake and turned to Tab. "What say we go get a drink aye?"

Kelly tried to intervene. "Dave, come on Hon. Hasn't this gone on long enough? Can't we put the past behind us?"

Elise who was a little tipsy said. "Dave, don't spoil a great night by being rude. Gary is offering the olive branch. You guys used to be such good mates."

Tab held onto and gripped my arm tightly. "Dave, he is trying."

He was still standing with his hand stuck out. "Dave, come on mate. I fucked up, we all did. I want to put things right between us."

I shook my head. "It is not happening, Gary, you screwed me over. You destroyed my marriage, you flushed nearly twenty years of friendship down the loo. You betrayed me, you better than anyone knew how I feel about that sort of shit. You knew the moment that Kelly told you what was happening that I wouldn't do it."

I leaned towards him so my face was right in his, and snarled. "You fucking knew, didn't you?"

Kelly jumped between us. "You've got it wrong, Dave, we didn't know, none of us knew. We all thought you would enjoy a bit of innocent fun, just like the rest of us."

I lifted my hand and pointed my finger over her shoulder until it was poking Gary in the forehead. "You knew, didn't you, arsehole. At least be fucking honest about it." I snarled.

Tab grabbed my arm and dragged it down. Gary stood staring at me, everybody went quiet, the pause dragged on. "Tell them, Gary, you knew the whole weekend what was going to happen when I found out. Just tell the truth for once in your fucking life."

He shook his head, sighed deeply, his voice barely a whisper. "No mate, I didn't know. Come on man, we were living every man's fantasy."

He glared at me with a mix of contempt, or anger. "For fuck sake man, you were off with Maike, you must have told me a hundred times how she gave you a hard on. Christ, stop acting like a pompous prick."

Elise snapped, "Dave if you're going to be angry with anybody, it should be me. I suggested it. Kelly said no at first. It took me two days to convince her it would be fun, something we could all take into later years. It was supposed to be a bit of naughty fun, for everybody."

"Yeah, well if you thought it was going to be fun, and everybody was going to be so into it, why didn't you tell us?"

She shrugged, a little tear formed in the corner of her eye. "Because we wanted to surprise you all. God, you're all red blooded men. I, we never thought for a moment you, or Gazza, or Marty would say no. Christ, who turns down a fox like Maike? No real man, that's for sure."

"A happily married man, that's who."

Gary tried again. "Mate, I didn't think properly. I let my little head do the thinking. I was wrong and I have tried to say sorry, I'm saying sorry now. None of us meant to break up your marriage. We all knew how much you love Kelly."

It was too much for me. I turned to Tab and kissed her. "Hon, I've had enough. I need to go home. Are you coming with me or staying?"

She returned my kiss and whispered, "Coming."

As we walked out she hugged me. "Thanks for coming tonight. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's all right. It was actually nice to talk to Kelly. I could have done without Gary, but, hey. It was pleasant."

She kissed me gently. "I'm glad."

That sort of changed the complexion of our relationship.

It meant we spent more time together with Kelly, I didn't particularly like it; I still didn't feel entirely comfortable around her, but Tab wanted it, and things were so good between us I didn't want to rock the boat.

Netball season was just around the corner, which meant lots of practice and warm up games for the girls. It meant Kelly and I were thrown together more regularly. Tab didn't seem to care that she was forcing us to get closer, reconnect. She saw it as a good thing. She frequently lectured me about being nice to Kelly, if I said something snarly, or inappropriate. I avoided anything that Gary attended. The few that were unavoidable, he took the hint and stayed out of my way.

As the season opener drew closer, Tab's team was invited to a preseason tournament in Tauranga, which meant she was going to be gone for the weekend. We were talking Thursday night before they were supposed to leave, and she asked, "So what are you going to do for the weekend, while I'm gone?"

Seeing a weird expression painted on her face I said. "Not sure, maybe a bike ride."

With a playful grin she said. "Maike is going down to Raglan, apparently there's a cool trail down there. Why don't you go with her?"

I frowned a little and she saw my perplexed expression and gave me giggle. "Relax, I'm playing netball, nothing else. I just thought you might like to go, and I know she would enjoy the company."

"No, I don't think so. Not sure Marty would want me camping out with his girlfriend after the last debacle."

"God, you are so deluded. He wouldn't even think twice about it. What's more, I know she would like you to go, because I already asked her."

"Blimey, you are a busybody. Why did you do that?"

"Because I thought you would enjoy it. She showed me some video of the trail and I reckon you'd love it." Tab and Maike had been doing a little mountain biking together, and now Tab was a self-prescribed expert.

Maike did give me a call the next day, and as much as it made me uncomfortable, I decided that the pros outweighed the cons. I picked her up on Friday night and we hit the road. It was awkward and a little cool at first, although once we hit the motorway she blurted out, "Dave, I'm sorry. I've never had the chance to say it properly. You were so mad at me."

"Yeah, well, I felt let down. I felt like we were friends and you should have told me. Jeez, Maike, if I had known what was happening I could have stopped it, or at least tried to."

She flinched as she stared at me. "I didn't say anything because I was looking forward to it. I hoped something would happen between us. I agreed to it because I was excited, and I was glad it was you."

That shocked me. "But, you never said anything?"

"No, because I'm an idiot, because I have suffered my whole life with low self-esteem. I have always been treated as an oddity. I know I'm not that pretty, and I am chronically shy. That weekend I battled with myself the whole time. I just didn't know what to do."

She started crying softly, turned her head and stared out the side window.

"Maike, you have to be kidding. You are one of the most spectacularly beautiful women I have ever met. You are gorgeous. Why would you say that?"

Wiping the tears from her eyes she sniffled. "Because that's the way I feel. I can't control it, I can't turn it off. It's like depression or eating disorders. They are mental conditions. I have always felt like the odd one out in our group."

"Odd one out? That's me. I understand the shy bit, because I have always suffered."

"I know, that's why I have always been attracted to you. I felt like we were two peas in a pod."

"I guess I feel the same way. That's why we always end up talking to each other. How are things between you and Marty since that weekend?"

She smiled thinly back at me. "Fine, he had a great weekend."

"Didn't you feel angry that he slept with Elise?"

"No, I thought I was getting the better deal. I'm just sorry it didn't work out for us, but I'm more sorry that it meant the end of your marriage."

I sighed as I figured out what to say. "Yeah, I'm sad as well, but hey. Maybe it was a good thing because otherwise, I wouldn't have met Tab."

She nodded back at me. "So long as you're happy. Tab is a lot of fun, and so nice."

"Sure is, I am lucky."

"But don't you wonder about how your life might have turned out if you stayed with Kelly?"

Nodding, I mumbled softly. "Yes, I asked that question of myself a million times. What if! But I couldn't do it. She betrayed me, and with my best friend. There was no coming back from that."

"Well, I just wanted to say sorry. I wanted you to know that I felt horrible, and responsible for what happened. If I had been stronger, sexier, maybe your marriage would have survived. Or at least I should have told you."

"Doesn't matter, Maike, let's just have a great weekend. Thanks for being honest."

She nodded. "I'm glad you let me back into your life. I missed you."

The weekend turned out great. The trails were incredible, the weather held and Maike and I were able to cement our friendship.

Back home Monday morning, Tab sneaked into my office. "Hey, lover. How was your weekend? Did you rock little Maike's world?"

"I sure did. I bet she can't even walk straight this morning."

She laughed. "No bullshit, how did it really go?"

"It was great actually. We talked, she apologised, I listened and, now we are friends again."

She beamed widely. "Good, I'm glad."

Tab and I continued to build on our relationship. She was now spending more time at my place than hers. It made sense that I asked her to move in. At first she was hesitant, but after my constant urging, she gave in.

Wow, it was weird. Living together full-time raised a few issues that I hadn't really counted on. I was unaware of how much time Kelly spent with Tab. Suddenly, she was at our place a lot, and I mean a lot. And they talked about everything, including aspects of our relationship. Now, I didn't mind enjoying the usual girl talk, but I did draw the line on Kelly knowing our intimate details. When I tackled Tab, she laughed with a carefree wave off her hand. "Don't be so oversensitive, Hon. It's just girl talk."

"Normally, I wouldn't mind, but she is my ex-wife."

"She is also our friend. I can understand you being nervous about your girlfriend and your ex wife sharing details, but it's just a bit of fun. A little ironic though, don't you think?"

"Oh yes, the irony is not lost on me. I just don't appreciate it."

She tried to play it down, but it did become somewhat of a sore point with us, and it caused more than one argument.

Once the netball season started, I was soon dragged along to watch the games, which I enjoyed. That also meant going to the after game functions. Mostly they were fun, but occasionally when the girls had too much to drink, things were said. Some of those things, I wish I never heard, some of them made me very self-conscious, and on edge. It was at one particular function where I overheard Elise, who was drunk, talking to some of the girls. She was making some rather suggestive comments about Tab and a former boyfriend. They were standing around the bar in a tight huddle.

It was rather unsettling as she talked about how promiscuous Tab had been prior to meeting me. Elise was being very inappropriate. Tab wandered up and snapped at her, "Shut up, Elise, that's personal and not for public consumption."

"Oh don't be silly, chicky-babe, we're just jealous. We would all have liked to get a couple of those sexy hunks for ourselves."

The other girls gave Tab a bit of a razz, as well. Sally asked. "Is it true? Did you have two guys at once? God, I would love that."

Elise egged her on. "Go on, tell them." When Tab didn't say anything, Elise said, "Yes she did, and what's more, they were both hunks."

I had been behind the bar, helping the bartender connect up some beer lines. I quietly walked away feeling a bit unsettled. Would she really do that, or was it just the booze talking? Okay, we hadn't actually talked much about our previous sex lives. She got a pretty good run down from Kelly, so she didn't need to ask me, but I knew almost nothing about her. Shit, it wasn't any of my business really, but for some reason that bit of information shocked me.

I tried to put it out of my mind, but it sort of sat there, burning like a hot coal having fallen from the fire. At first it singed the edges of the carpet, then smoke billowed until the glowing ember burst into flames. I wanted, no, make that needed, to know.

It was a small gathering, a dinner party, where I managed to get Elise alone. I fed her a few drinks to lubricate the vocal chords. She and I were far from friendly, maybe polite acquaintances now, but as we sat together I started to pick at the scab. "So, how long have you and Tab been friends?" I asked. "It seems like you've known her for years."